Page 1 of 18
... LastLast

Live Action ONE PIECE

If the sets are anything to go by then they are putting some effort into this. Hopefully doesn't turn into Cowboy Bebop

"The customer is always right" is a nice way of saying "I will put up with your bullshit as long as you pay me"

cant wait. its going to be a disaster

Literally every one of Netflix's live adaptations of Anime have all been shit... so I'll just put this on the remotest back burner I can find.

Looks terrible. Can't wait.

Another terrible live action adaptation, coming to a trainwreck (shipwreck?) near you!

Cant wait until they blackwash Nami, a redhead that is one of the main characters.

This is going to be an absolute shitshow.

It'll be horrific to watch, and fail spectacularly.

I'd be happy to be wrong. But I won't be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Caradras View Post
    Cant wait until they blackwash Nami, a redhead that is one of the main characters.
    Main cast was announced like six months ago. You will be happy to know they cast a black actress as Nojiko, Nami's adopted sister.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Not everything is made for you. Learn to move on.
    But when adaptation is not made enjoyable for the fans the IP, the adaptation has objectively failed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Which actually makes some sense.
    Yep. I am totally cool with it. I still think the series is going to be a disaster (prove me wrong Netflix!) but the casting has been on point. Even with these minor characters like Zeff, Morgan, and Mihawk the casting looks great.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    But when adaptation is not made enjoyable for the fans the IP, the adaptation has objectively failed.
    Not always. Some adaptations are made for the non-fans.

But really who cares? If it sucks, move on. Just watch/read the original. A bad adaptation doesn't ruin a source material in any way.

MMO-champ, never change. Whine and bitch about everything that gets made anywhere. It's adorable!

Okay i took a look and casting seems decent, altho there some fat chick that isnt fat in the show.

Not everything is made for you
    Problem is that nearly everything gets the woke treatment or is just plain bad. Usually its both. Or things start out good in the first season and go downhil quickly after that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Caradras View Post
    Okay i took a look and casting seems decent, altho there some fat chick that isnt fat in the show.
    Guessing that would be Alvida. She is actually is fat at the start of the series (the part the live action seems to be covering) but she does return later having eaten a magic fruit that makes her skinny. Guessing if the series does get that far, the character will just be recast.

It's 2022. I thought people would have learned not to get their hopes up for anything American. Guess I was wrong.

Ah that would make sense, i just saw the pictures of the actress / character next to each other and thought uuuh whats this.

Without getting into what Netflix usually does or doesn't do with established franchises and characters.

There are a million mangas and animes more adaptable than One Piece. It's so extremely over-the-top and it works because of the medium it was designed for.

Nowadays it's not... impossible... to recreate that world in live-action, if you have the budget and scale of something like the MCU, but anything less than that will just look and feel off, by a lot.

So, at best, even if they make the best adaptation they could possibly make, nailing every character and scene, purely because of the aesthetics it'll be an inferior product.

If anything, I'm hoping it'll be a train(ship)wreck, because then it may have some entertainment value. If they try their best and "only" fail because the very concept was flawed from the beginning, it'll be just disappointing and boring.

You know what manga people should adapt? Stuff like Eden by Endo Hiroki. Some realist, gritty shit that actually works on screen.

Not this over-the-top comical gag fest that I promise you is going to look absolutely ridiculously fake in live action.

Unfortunately studio execs stopped reading after the pitch went "One Piece sold about 500 million copies..." and didn't care about the rest.

It's gonna suck like every live-action anime adaptation.

You can't pull off the same levels of bombastic borderline retarded energy in live-action.
    Also, the Americano's gonna butcher the story for some social clout.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    You know what manga people should adapt? Stuff like Eden by Endo Hiroki. Some realist, gritty shit that actually works on screen.

Not this over-the-top comical gag fest that I promise you is going to look absolutely ridiculously fake in live action.

Unfortunately studio execs stopped reading after the pitch went "One Piece sold about 500 million copies..." and didn't care about the rest.
    They could do Monster. Someone would get an Emmy for that.