Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

How much RNG is there in Warlock?

Hey guys, I am trying to decide on a new dps to main and was hoping you could help me out a bit. I am currently playing a ret pally, but I just dont really like how "set in stone" his rotation is. I quite enjoyed the WoD version of ret, where is felt a lot more like whack-a-mole with all the different procs, so I guess I just prefer to have some RNG to my class.

Does warlock fit into that description?

Deleted
    The only real RNG you have in the Warlock class at the moment (speaking for affliction, don't play destro or demo) is the soul shard (re-)generation.

Other than that you are set to a strict "guideline" of what to maintain and to do (keeping dots up, refreshing them within pandemic timers, etc.). It maybe sounds simple when you read it but if you play it and have to deal with mechanics, watching out for timers or your surrounding it is much more fun.

The only other class I can think of with your desired playstile would be an Enhancement Shaman I guess (just came back with Legion so don't know much about the other classes).

Hope this little info can help you.

Lock isn't whack-a-mole really, at least not like other classes have been. And with destro's mastery-chaos bolt relationship being changed it's less RNGy. But Soul Conduit (if you spec into it) will still provide some RNG element to the class.

I felt at the start of the xpac, destro was quite RNG; but as the xpac moves along, increased shard gen and changes here and there, the class as a whole feels less and less RNGy.

Quote Originally Posted by kuehlschrank View Post
    Hey guys, I am trying to decide on a new dps to main and was hoping you could help me out a bit. I am currently playing a ret pally, but I just dont really like how "set in stone" his rotation is. I quite enjoyed the WoD version of ret, where is felt a lot more like whack-a-mole with all the different procs, so I guess I just prefer to have some RNG to my class.

Does warlock fit into that description?

What I believe you want more of are perhaps procs which actually change your rotation? Warlocks are definitely not proc based. However, we cast more or less of our spenders depending on our resource generation which yes is VERY RNG. This can cause quite big damage swings but I don't think it is the type of RNG you are actually looking for.

Have you tried a Frost or Fire mage?
    Last edited by SpikeySquad; 2017-06-07 at 02:59 PM.

I haven't played WoD ret to know exactly what you are talking about, but a lot of RNG shows up if you play Outlaw rogue. As for warlocks nah, not much rng really.

Deleted
    Thanks for all the answers so far!

I have tried outlaw, but I feel like the RNG of roll the bones is just too much for me . The lows of that spec are too low for me to handle.

I would also prefer a pure DPS class. I know everyone says "just play what you enjoy", but having decent DPS is a pretty big part of my enjoyment, and having 3 DPS specs increases the chances of having at least one OK-performing spec drastically.

I have actually considered mage too. I like both mage and WL thematically, but my friend with whom I am playing is already a mage.

So yea, I think I will just try out a warlock. I have never really played a DoT class and maybe thats my cup of tea.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hope this is RNG enough for you, OP

Deleted
    Isn't Destro changed with 7.2.5 so that there is less RNG with the Mastery?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazzar View Post
    Isn't Destro changed with 7.2.5 so that there is less RNG with the Mastery?
    Yeah, but you still have shitton of RNG on the side - Flame Rift, crit shards, Soulsnatcher/SC...

- - - Updated - - -

Just to say, though, 7.2.5 is certainly a step in a right direction.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Yeah, but you still have shitton of RNG on the side - Flame Rift, crit shards, Soulsnatcher/SC...

- - - Updated - - -

Just to say, though, 7.2.5 is certainly a step in a right direction.
    Yeah the Flame Rift mechanic is really stupid, not only is the base one rng there is also rng n top of rng with that flame rift.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazzar View Post
    The only real RNG you have in the Warlock class at the moment (speaking for affliction, don't play destro or demo) is the soul shard (re-)generation.

Other than that you are set to a strict "guideline" of what to maintain and to do (keeping dots up, refreshing them within pandemic timers, etc.). It maybe sounds simple when you read it but if you play it and have to deal with mechanics, watching out for timers or your surrounding it is much more fun.

The only other class I can think of with your desired playstile would be an Enhancement Shaman I guess (just came back with Legion so don't know much about the other classes).

Hope this little info can help you.
    You must not play a lot of affliction then, aff is the most rng spec in the game right now in my opinion.
    1.Soul Shard Gen
    2. Reap Gen
    3. Fatal Echo Procs
    4. Whispers Procs (They matter for aff more than any spec in the game right now)
    5. Rend Soul Procs
    6. Soul Conduit Procs
    All of these rng mechanics can be the difference of me doing 900k-1.5m on a 4 min single target fight

Quote Originally Posted by bskgrg2 View Post
    You must not play a lot of affliction then, aff is the most rng spec in the game right now in my opinion.
    1.Soul Shard Gen
    2. Reap Gen
    3. Fatal Echo Procs
    4. Whispers Procs (They matter for aff more than any spec in the game right now)
    5. Rend Soul Procs
    6. Soul Conduit Procs
    All of these rng mechanics can be the difference of me doing 900k-1.5m on a 4 min single target fight
    7. belt leggo

10+ Year Old Account
    1.Soul Shard Gen
    2. Reap Gen
    3. Fatal Echo Procs
    5. Rend Soul Procs
    6. Soul Conduit Procs
    None of those really change the buttons you were going to press though.

The sort of RNG I think OP is thinking of is like Ret before Legion. Judgment procs, exorcism procs, Divine Purpose procs, divine storm procs all over the place. All these things lighting up was great.

Enha or Frost (Mage or DK) is probably what OP is looking for if they want an RNG proc playstyle. Of the Warlock specs, well while shard generation is quite RNG, the only spec with some procs (that i can think of) is Demo.

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.

I'll add on another layer for fun

On top of simply getting a whispers proc, the timing of it can also be a bitch lol...

Quote Originally Posted by pappaslop View Post
    I'll add on another layer for fun

On top of simply getting a whispers proc, the timing of it can also be a bitch lol...
    I hate that trinket sooo freaking much...

I can live with having a trinket proc without being able to use it duo to mechanics, but getting a negative proc after not being able to use the positive proc just feels plain bad..

Quote Originally Posted by Walrock View Post

I can live with having a trinket proc without being able to use it duo to mechanics, but getting a negative proc after not being able to use the positive proc just feels plain bad..
    Lol ikr... It's certainly a love/hate thing for me...

"Alright sweet... Have to move shortly/re-position/run this mechanic out etc... (trinket proc occurring simultaneously) - done moving and SLOW AF lol ><

there isn't very much RNG; resource generation is somewhat random but you have a decent amount of ability to plan your resource usage, so the actual gameplay doesn't feel 'random.' If what you want is 'whack-a-mole procs' you might be better off with mage or ele shaman.

Quote Originally Posted by kuehlschrank View Post
    Thanks for all the answers so far!

I have tried outlaw, but I feel like the RNG of roll the bones is just too much for me . The lows of that spec are too low for me to handle.

I would also prefer a pure DPS class. I know everyone says "just play what you enjoy", but having decent DPS is a pretty big part of my enjoyment, and having 3 DPS specs increases the chances of having at least one OK-performing spec drastically.

I have actually considered mage too. I like both mage and WL thematically, but my friend with whom I am playing is already a mage.

So yea, I think I will just try out a warlock. I have never really played a DoT class and maybe thats my cup of tea.
    Ok so if mage is out and if you are going warlock I would suggest Demo>Destro>Affy will be most inline with what you have said. Demo does need a certain level of haste to feel good so don't rule it out if it feels a little rough at first. It is faster paced and you do have to react to your shard generation and keep up with cooldowns. Good luck!

Deleted
    If you want to gamble, then play lock, although the RNG is actually pretty high. Most important factors for Affli are
    - Soul Shard generation is RNG (Base + Conduit and Fatal Echos procs)
    - Trinket procs (especially whispers)
    - Soul procs for Reap

For Destro it's Soul shard generation and Mastery, although both are being addressed in 7.2.5 it will still be RNG.

Demo is probably the least RNG affected, but not many locks enjoy that playstyle (I have to admit, I like it) and especially in higher difficulty raids its feasibility goes down because movement heavily affects your dps numbers.

If you do want a class that is more dependable and - from past experience - will always have more well-performing specs than warlock, take the mage.

It's almost a disgrace how they make all 3 mage specs as good or better than the best lock spec in m+ (affli), while the other 2 lock specs simply can't hold a candle to affli in higher m+

Quote Originally Posted by Dyra View Post
    None of those really change the buttons you were going to press though.

The sort of RNG I think OP is thinking of is like Ret before Legion. Judgment procs, exorcism procs, Divine Purpose procs, divine storm procs all over the place. All these things lighting up was great.

Enha or Frost (Mage or DK) is probably what OP is looking for if they want an RNG proc playstyle. Of the Warlock specs, well while shard generation is quite RNG, the only spec with some procs (that i can think of) is Demo.
    You are both correct in your own ways. Affliction is probably the most rng of all specs right now, especially in how that rng affects your output. We do not, however, have any proc rng in the way that a new button lights up you need to hit, like frost does, for example. Sure, getting more souls, or fatal echoes, or shards, can have a huge impact on output, but the gameplay is still rather consistent all the way through. Im not a big proc fan, but I really do miss old school nightfall in the current kit.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Walrock View Post

Thats why you just stand in stuff and heal through it