Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    Hieroglyphics in Egypt represent speech, an actual spoken language. If you know that language and what the symbols correspond to, you and I can both see the symbols and know what they mean. If you don't know what the language the symbols are supposed to represent nor what the symbols correspond to you at best just know you are looking at a written message.
    They represent concepts which were spoken, yes, but the pictograms are independent of how they are spoken. I'm not sure how to express this concept any other way.

By contrast, we use phonetic symbols. A collection of symbols like "alphabet" can be spoken without knowing its meaning.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's this new thing, called "Google."
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    They represent concepts which were spoken, yes, but the pictograms are independent of how they are spoken. I'm not sure how to express this concept any other way.
    Actually the hieroglyphs were also to a large extent phonetic symbols. The idea that they were pure pictograms independent of how they were spoken was debunked in the 19th century.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    There's this new thing, called "Google."
    Or Wikipedia if you want to skip one step, e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egyptian_hieroglyphs
    Last edited by Forogil; 2017-07-04 at 09:13 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post

By contrast, we use phonetic symbols. A collection of symbols like "alphabet" can be spoken without knowing its meaning.
    Hieroglyphs however had specific linguistic meaning, the Egyptians were conveying a language through the glyph. A string of hieroglyphs represents an actual spoken language.

If you do not understand what the symbols correspond to or the language they represent they are just pictures that may seem to have been a written message.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Cave drawings forgot the technical name for it and sign language.
    Think the word you're looking for is, Parietal art

And I think, that might be the first language made, if we don't talk about spoken language, which we can't date back far enough.

Though, I can say that it isn't english, that I do not believe. You most likely have a mixed development of language.
    Last edited by Lochton; 2017-07-04 at 10:49 PM.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Mittens View Post
    English. 10/ch
    I totallly disagree, it must be dutch as it sounds like a rabidly ill badger on steroids.

kek^^

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vitor210 View Post
    sumerian is the oldest language, taught to us from our creators the Annunnaki, "Those who from Heaven to Earth came"
    Sumerian is one of oldest, but there is no evidence if it was oldest one or not.

Obviously American.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Luckx View Post
    Sumerian is one of oldest, but there is no evidence if it was oldest one or not.
    Sure there is, all other languages from Mesopotamia say they come from Sumerian, and there's even clay tablets from a Babylonian king saying he knows how to read the ancient language of sumerian, "from the days before the Flood".

Just because Main Stream scholars and media prefer the idea of egiptians being the oldest civilization and / or language that doesn't make it right