The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    So anyway veering us out of the Debunker Bunker again.

I was thinking about player boats again.

Honestly what if 8.0 has rare world quests, similar to the rifts on Argus, that you access as small islands that appear on your "boat navigation interface" periodically?
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post

Honestly what if 8.0 has rare world quests, similar to the rifts on Argus, that you access as small islands that appear on your "boat navigation interface" periodically?
    only if I can Sail under pirate flag lol :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Musta View Post
    RotL - Reing of the, Rise of the... fuck nothing with L makes any sense.
    Return of the Legion, now with more fel.

Marlemin.

AKA Shaggy Parrot.

He grabbed the beta update and said that there was no changes beyond just the login text string being updated to 8.0.0.

We're assuming Blizz sent that as a test to ensure things were still working properly for Blizzcon.
    Makes sense.
    World of Warcraft (Retail): Frostmourne - Alliance
    World of Warcraft (Classic): Remulos - Alliance

That would be pretty cool and I'd definitely support that, if they could somehow randomize the islands that would make it even better. But what do you mean by boat navigation interface? I assume you mean something similar to the Vindicar? Honestly I'd prefer if that was our staging area and we were able to launch and sail little boat mounts to get to places. Have the islands be closer and have us traverse small portions of the sea.

Deleted

That has been my line of thinking for a while. Basically semi-procedurally generated bite-sized pieces of content that replace follower missions and are instanced.

So you and your crew go explore an uncharted little island, or dive down to find a cave underwater, or get attacked by sea monsters, and so on. Slightly new experience every time. It would really promote the experience of playing on the open ocean where borders don't play a role.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xelium View Post
    Makes sense.
    It does.
    Getting a bit tinfoil hat here but...

The only change the 8.0 build at Blizzcon could have is just telling the game to refer to "Blizzcon.mpq." And have that file loaded only on the machines that are at Blizzcon. To reduce the risk of the demo build being stolen.

Quote Originally Posted by Rassman View Post
    That would be pretty cool and I'd definitely support that, if they could somehow randomize the islands that would make it even better. But what do you mean by boat navigation interface? I assume you mean something similar to the Vindicar? Honestly I'd prefer if that was our staging area and we were able to launch and sail little boat mounts to get to places. Have the islands be closer and have us traverse small portions of the sea.
    If they gave us procedurally-generated ANYTHING next expansion imma be hype. I'd love to see scenarios make a comeback as roguelike dungeons that take maybe 10-15 minutes tops.

And yeah, sadly I've kinda given up on my dream of Wind Waker/Archeage sailing. Something just tells me that Blizz is going to fully half-ass it and just reskin the Vindicar interface and not have it directly tie into the flight point system, either. I DO, however, have a lot of hope for the potential of us getting our own harbor as a "staging area" for follower missions. Maybe they can incorperate elements of the Laser and Warframe and let us pick stuff for our base that gives us benefits in the world.

Full disclosure, I never hated the buildings aspect of Garrisons. I hated the mission table.

Quote Originally Posted by JainaKulTirasBlizzCon View Post
    That has been my line of thinking for a while. Basically semi-procedurally generated bite-sized pieces of content that replace follower missions and are instanced.

So you and your crew go explore an uncharted little island, or dive down to find a cave underwater, or get attacked by sea monsters, and so on. Slightly new experience every time. It would really promote the experience of playing on the open ocean where borders don't play a role.
    True but unless you were actually cruising around on the boat it would just be another form of instance. I agree that it would be pretty cool though. As long as there was some sort of interaction for it. For example, instead of traveling instantly your boat would actually "sail" to your island destination and you would be put into a unique phase (similar to Garrisons). From this point random events can happen that you can either choose to experience (such as finding an island) or forced ones (sea monster/pirate/naga attack). Travel times would be a few minutes or longer depending on the destination.

- - - Updated - - -

It does.
    Getting a bit tinfoil hat here but...

The only change the 8.0 build at Blizzcon could have is just telling the game to refer to "Blizzcon.mpq." And have that file loaded only on the machines that are at Blizzcon. To reduce the risk of the demo build being stolen.

If they gave us procedurally-generated ANYTHING next expansion imma be hype. I'd love to see scenarios make a comeback as roguelike dungeons that take maybe 10-15 minutes tops.

And yeah, sadly I've kinda given up on my dream of Wind Waker/Archeage sailing. Something just tells me that Blizz is going to fully half-ass it and just reskin the Vindicar interface and not have it directly tie into the flight point system, either. I DO, however, have a lot of hope for the potential of us getting our own harbor as a "staging area" for follower missions. Maybe they can incorperate elements of the Laser and Warframe and let us pick stuff for our base that gives us benefits in the world.

Full disclosure, I never hated the buildings aspect of Garrisons. I hated the mission table.
    Yeah the procedural generation could probably be done. It was done to a certain extent with the Lucid Nightmare mount. That's almost a baseline, now they just need to expand on it.

Honestly I have hope that we will have some form of sailing in the next expansion. Either controlled by us or something similar to what I described above. A teleporting ship is not sailing. Its a teleport. I know some people would eventually find it annoying to sail around but it would be neat as a one time thing.

EDIT: Don't we already have sailing technology in Thousand Needles??????? You control that little ship right????

10+ Year Old Account
    True but unless you were actually cruising around on the boat it would just be another form of instance. I agree that it would be pretty cool though. As long as there was some sort of interaction for it. For example, instead of traveling instantly your boat would actually "sail" to your island destination and you would be put into a unique phase (similar to Garrisons). From this point random events can happen that you can either choose to experience (such as finding an island) or forced ones (sea monster/pirate/naga attack). Travel times would be a few minutes or longer depending on the destination.
    I kinda call that a "Phantom Hourglass" travel, if you've ever played that game. Basically draw a line to your destination, and either sit back and do nothing or actively do something.

Though I worry that any kind of gameplay between islands would just be seen as "boring filler" especially if it was forced content.

I mean let's be honest, most people would treat that as being on a flight path and go make lunch.

Because its a fake, and it confirmed to be fake.
    True. RotL even looks stupid...

I kinda call that a "Phantom Hourglass" travel, if you've ever played that game. Basically draw a line to your destination, and either sit back and do nothing or actively do something.

Though I worry that any kind of gameplay between islands would just be seen as "boring filler" especially if it was forced content.

I mean let's be honest, most people would treat that as being on a flight path and go make lunch.
    That is quite true. I mean, that would also make it essentially like Vashj'ir which almost made me kill myself, Mt Hyjal was way better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    But it wasnt even convincing from second one cause he claimed he could copy and paste text but not the picture.....
    (plus the photoshop of that pic....)
    Yep. Still more convincing than some of the garbage we're getting this time, though: at least it was a remotely plausible basic outline.

Don't get me wrong; I'm not saying that one was good, merely that the new ones are shockingly bad.

Guessing right is not the same as having insider information.

Sooo, I did a bit of skipping around the pages trying to catch up. Are void elves debunked?

Quote Originally Posted by zlygork View Post
    Sooo, I did a bit of skipping around the pages trying to catch up. Are void elves debunked?
    I think sooo, I missed a few pages myself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zlygork View Post
    Not yet technically. Just we're not really sure since that file holds a lot of stuff that aren't races. Like Broken and Vrykul.

- - - Updated - - -

I will say, though, if you want some proof Void Elf may mean something.

Usually if it's just one NPC with a model, the devs make that model custom. Having it as a "Player Character" model means it has enough variants to have "customization."

Maybe they won't be playable, but it also wouldn't surprise me if we see more Elves giving into the Void in 8.0.

Not yet technically. Just we're not really sure since that file holds a lot of stuff that aren't races. Like Broken and Vrykul.

- - - Updated - - -

I will say, though, if you want some proof Void Elf may mean something.

Usually if it's just one NPC with a model, the devs make that model custom. Having it as a "Player Character" model means it has enough variants to have "customization."

Maybe they won't be playable, but it also wouldn't surprise me if we see more Elves giving into the Void in 8.0.
    But they are confirmed to be in legit gamefiles? If so I know that being in that database at least means they will be nonplayable races able to wear armor such as the Krokuul, Tuskarr et al.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KayRule View Post
    Why is no one talking about this?
    ID 20: Playable Northrend Skeleton confirmed!

I wouldn't get too excited about it at this stage. It's easy to fake and the list includes all sorts of races that are clearly never going to be player options. Even if true, it may simply be that a variant of an existing player skeleton was the easiest way to make some new NPCs or there's a "flashback" scene where you play as a different race at some point.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hagakure View Post
    ID 20: Playable Northrend Skeleton confirmed!

I wouldn't get too excited about it at this stage. It's easy to fake and the list includes all sorts of races that are clearly never going to be player options. Even if true, it may simply be that a variant of an existing player skeleton was the easiest way to make some new NPCs or there's a "flashback" scene where you play as a different race at some point.
    While true, the thing is there's only one Alleria. They could easily have made her model custom, especially given they'd need one that's cinematic-quality.

Yeah its sad that most people would treat it that way. You could always make it an option to go a "dangerous route" or the "safe route". One idea I had about 60 pages back was if they were to implement a system as I suggested above is you could gain reputation or pay off "pirate lords" that stop your boat from being attacked.

I think that this sort of random content should be able to give cosmetic rewards at least. I understand that people get frustrated because then they feel like they "have" to do the content but seriously, if it was randomized how could it be filler. This shit is what makes the game fun. If it weren't for cool features like this we might as well have just stayed in Vanilla.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah its sad that most people would treat it that way. You could always make it an option to go a "dangerous route" or the "safe route". One idea I had about 60 pages back was if they were to implement a system as I suggested above is you could gain reputation or pay off "pirate lords" that stop your boat from being attacked.

I think that this sort of random content should be able to give cosmetic rewards at least. I understand that people get frustrated because then they feel like they "have" to do the content but seriously, if it was randomized how could it be filler. This shit is what makes the game fun. If it weren't for cool features like this we might as well have just stayed in Vanilla.
    TBH I think cosmetic rewards is overused.

Have getting your boat attacked give you the same kind of loot box you'd get from finishing an emissary. Gear chances would encourage participation way more than the chance at a fancy hat.

10+ Year Old Account
    While true, the thing is there's only one Alleria. They could easily have made her model custom, especially given they'd need one that's cinematic-quality.
    They could have done that as well. It may simply be a case of: "Method A takes 2 weeks, method B takes 4; let's just take the easy path and get the patch out the door. If we need her in cinematic later, we'll do a custom model."
    Last edited by Hagakure; 2017-10-20 at 05:09 AM. Reason: forgot the quote