Poll: Do you like the new profession system?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I hate having to do those god damn 5 mans each time i want a certain pattern!

I understand they wanted 5mans to be relevant but this was overkill imo!

No, go back to Vanilla system.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dekkers View Post
    No, go back to Vanilla system.
    yep, vanilla system was nice, current proffesions are so pointless, no reason to level it.

For my first character, the crafting via questing was neat. Past that, doing it again on every alt is crap.

Profession levels is even more of the extreme carrot on a stick crap that WoW has become to give the illusion of more things to do. Finally got that recipe? Yay! Oops...you got to find two more versions of the same recipe now...Fail Blizzard.

I like how it was in TBC. But then again it was another game back then, so what worked then still wouldn't be the same thing now.
    There were armor sets with bonuses, and you could farm recipes from mobs outside of dungeons. As it is now it's either 1% drop chance, 100% drop chance or super low RNG proc chance.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the system is fine for the most part. It's the relevancy of some of the crafting items that seem to be the biggest issue. Inscription needs a complete redux, you can no longer use buffs in instances so alchemy and cooking took a hit, crafting gear to me isn't worth the headache of leveling it up. Take also in to consideration that you level so fast now, it makes crafting gear as you level meaningless. The secondary professions are really nice now, before I never wanted to level up fishing and cooking, but now its fun and easy. First aid could use a kick in the ass as it's useless now with all the dot abilities but it's much easier to level than before making it extremely alt friendly.

I agree with most posters here. Generally dislike the way professions are now.

1) Hate hate hate Nomi. No way you should have to burn 100x the mats you would save if he actually gave you the recipe that used less mats. Which you may never get anyways. Stupid with a capital "S".
    2) Hate dungeon quests for patterns. Crafting should be a solo thing.
    3) Hate all the RNG in general for crafting. If you do the 'thing' (be it a quest, or kill a specific NPC, or whatever) you should get the pattern. It's gathering the mats that is supposed to be the work when it comes to crafting.

Quote Originally Posted by Feali View Post
    It's almost a year of Legion now and with that almost a year of the new profession system. So let's pass it in review.

I for one don't like that it's gated behind questing and leveling. One of them is fine. But I don't want to level an alt just to max out a profession. Also recipes gated behind reputation is and will never be a good idea in my opinion. Make them drop in raids like they used to and make them BoE.

What do you think of the new system? Do you like it? If not how would you improve on it?
    No, I don't like it. Professions were fine when they gave a combat bonus. Now, they are useless time suckers. I did enjoyed _some_ quests though, but most of them were time-sinkers.
    No more time wasted in WoW.. still reading this awesome forum, though

Quote Originally Posted by Feali View Post
    It's almost a year of Legion now and with that almost a year of the new profession system. So let's pass it in review.

I for one don't like that it's gated behind questing and leveling. One of them is fine. But I don't want to level an alt just to max out a profession. Also recipes gated behind reputation is and will never be a good idea in my opinion. Make them drop in raids like they used to and make them BoE.

What do you think of the new system? Do you like it? If not how would you improve on it?
    Leveling bit is just fine, the questing bit blows chunks. So are the random upgrades of receipes...
    -=Z=- Satan represents vengeance instead of turning the other cheek! -=Z=-
    https://bdsmovement.net/

Professions are crap now, I hate the new system, having to do quests to get the gear is pointless.
    I dont mind doing quests for a specialization like the "reborn" items on MOP.

I like new professions, doing a lot of gold with them. I don't mind a piece or two of HC level gear though.

High Overlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Same as every expansion, professions are great and smart people are making a fortune with them, yet forums are full of people complaining that professions are useless and are a waste of time and money. Some things never change

What many posters in this thread fail to understand is that the more "accessible" professions and recipes are, the less profit there is to make. If everyone can make everything and with the same efficiency, goods tend to sell at the cost of mats, or often even bellow. So how do you make the recipes rare?

1)Hide them behind a quest - everyone will do the quest, and everyone will have the recipe (while some will still complain) - won't work
    2)Hide them behind a grind - people will complain a lot but will still grind it out - again, no dice
    3)Hide them behind such an insane grind that most people will refuse to do it - it'll have to be a vanilla or Everquest style grind for that to happen- there will be no end to complaints- most importantly it won't be fun for anyone
    4)Put them in challenging content - raids/pvp/mythics+. And I dont mean LFR but more like mythic raids or high end rated pvp/15+ mythics. That'd be my favorite solution as the recipes would go to those who put the most effort into the game, but again, there would be no end to complaints from the people who don't do that kind of content.

Which finally leaves us with 5)RNG, RNG and more RNG. I hate this as much as the next guy, but I don't blame Blizzard by going this path, as it probably leads to the least complaints, as everyone feels they at least have a chance to get them.

In general I like the idea with ranks 1-3, as it lets everyone craft the items, but you need to put at least some extra effort (or get lucky) to be able to craft stuff more efficiently. Giving everyone easy rank 3s would completely defeat the purpose

Professions reached their pinnacle in Pandaria, they got gutted in Draenor and now they've been kicked to the curb. Maybe in the next expansion they'll finally be put in the garbage.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like it, feels more 'right'. Before, it was just level, learn and hope to find stuff you miss.

Now you can have benefits by keeping the crafting going to reach that rank bonus.

Only downside it, the professions has almost fully been taken out of the PvE picture (Unsure about PvP, haven't dared to jump of the AB cliff to see if the glider still works).

Though, I love the quests until some demanded you did mythic (bear in mind, the legendary crafting should still be mythic).

Though, not a fan of the obliterum idea but gives our professions a possibility of competing with some gear.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Deleted
    It's not that I really hate it but it is a bit underwhelming. Blizzard has been getting good having us run in circles through content to keep us playing but somehow it has now dawned on them that a complete overhaul of the crafting system into something really good and exciting & potentially awarding is a real good motivator as well.

I think they need to completely disregard what exist today and go lock themselves into a room and brainstorm wild ideas. I know we don't like RNG here, but that is mostly because it's done bad in WoW, however; I think it does have a place in the crafting. The way it is today is really boring; you need X of this and Y of that and you know exactly what product you get and it's most of the time bad.

What if you lower the cost of crafting so after a farming session you can craft e.g. a lot of chest - what if you are not sure of the outcome, you know you will get a chest and that most will probably be bad, but what if it has a chance to create the best chest plate wow has ever seen? What if the flask you just crafted rolled with double stats or the potion you just crafted procced a rare "last double the amount" property?

These are just things off the top of my head and might not be the best, what I'm saying is that Blizzard should have this brainstorm session on how they can make professions an actual thing that keeps people busy - that's fun and potentially rewarding. Everyone that has played Path of Exile and has ever alched a supreme end game rare, probably gets the feeling I'm after here.

In any case without going so far, at least crafted gear should have a place in end game. Remember e.g. the old days where patterns dropped in the raid for items that was pretty strong. Patterns shouldn't necessarily be raid drops but item should be good.

Obviously the gathering professions should all be secondary professions so people can both herb and mine etc, we're in 2017 come on.
    First aid should be removed it hardly serves any purpose anymore. If it has to stay it should be changed into some sort of passive buff & heal over time effect that starts out low and you can level it to a certain point for passive regeneration while questing or what not, idk :P

Archeology should definitely be changed as it's borderline sleep inducing. Again please think out of the box, what if I find the bones of a big dragon - what if I can "extract" that dig out of my archaeology book (much like enchant on a scroll) and sell this top secret location to someone on the AH? What if I can find a hidden Indiana Jones mini scenario when I'm out digging?

In any case some level of imagination and joy of life should be injected into these professions. Make it an actual end game thing people can have fun with with the more invested - the more rewards. Not this buy a herb with BoS in dalaran and craft a flask crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Amra View Post
    It's not that I really hate it but it is a bit underwhelming. Blizzard has been getting good having us run in circles through content to keep us playing but somehow it has now dawned on them that a complete overhaul of the crafting system into something really good and exciting & potentially awarding is a real good motivator as well.

I think they need to completely disregard what exist today and go lock themselves into a room and brainstorm wild ideas. I know we don't like RNG here, but that is mostly because it's done bad in WoW, however; I think it does have a place in the crafting. The way it is today is really boring; you need X of this and Y of that and you know exactly what product you get and it's most of the time bad.

What if you lower the cost of crafting so after a farming session you can craft e.g. a lot of chest - what if you are not sure of the outcome, you know you will get a chest and that most will probably be bad, but what if it has a chance to create the best chest plate wow has ever seen? What if the flask you just crafted rolled with double stats or the potion you just crafted procced a rare "last double the amount" property?

These are just things off the top of my head and might not be the best, what I'm saying is that Blizzard should have this brainstorm session on how they can make professions an actual thing that keeps people busy - that's fun and potentially rewarding. Everyone that has played Path of Exile and has ever alched a supreme end game rare, probably gets the feeling I'm after here.

In any case without going so far, at least crafted gear should have a place in end game. Remember e.g. the old days where patterns dropped in the raid for items that was pretty strong. Patterns shouldn't necessarily be raid drops but item should be good.

Obviously the gathering professions should all be secondary professions so people can both herb and mine etc, we're in 2017 come on.
    First aid should be removed it hardly serves any purpose anymore. If it has to stay it should be changed into some sort of passive buff & heal over time effect that starts out low and you can level it to a certain point for passive regeneration while questing or what not, idk :P

Archeology should definitely be changed as it's borderline sleep inducing. Again please think out of the box, what if I find the bones of a big dragon - what if I can "extract" that dig out of my archaeology book (much like enchant on a scroll) and sell this top secret location to someone on the AH? What if I can find a hidden Indiana Jones mini scenario when I'm out digging?

In any case some level of imagination and joy of life should be injected into these professions. Make it an actual end game thing people can have fun with with the more invested - the more rewards. Not this buy a herb with BoS in dalaran and craft a flask crap.
    Fully agree with all your post. I was hoping for something like this when they talked about a full profession revamp in Legion.

Deleted
    Better than WoD, but still shit.

Good things:
    - Quests. That's massive improvement
    - Remembers previous recipes when switching professions
    - Possibility to upgrade crafted gear

Bad things:
    - Excessive RNG. Recipe ranks are just wrong
    - No variety
    - Engineering is even more useless than ever before
    - Only skill of 1 is required, so there is no effort in learning professions
    - Switching professions system only remembers Legion recipes, the rest are lost. I think that's intended, but its a half done solution. If they wanted people to switch professions, they should have done it properly
    Last edited by mmocbeba583bd0; 2017-08-25 at 10:53 AM.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    The best crafting system i have ever enjoyed so far was the one in star wars galaxies... i miss it so much

I'm not a big fan of it, the proc based luck you need for certain rank 3 recipes from some professions is downright frustrating and I kinda think a lot of the quests needed for rank 1 recipes are really boring. I personally prefer the old system.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    The idea of the quests and the star ranks was cool, the execution was (and is) terrible.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann