Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Post frost mage DPS help

Hello,

Im a frost mage,928 item level equiped and at this gear level i should do a steady 950k dps even better on some boss fights.
    However i do not do that,there is something im doing very wrong.
    This a log from one boss fight Maiden of Vigilence
    This is my armory link on what gear i have :

Take a look and please let me know what im doing wrong.
    Thank you.

- - - Updated - - -

I see that my links aremt here and for some reason im not allowed to post links...
    How can i post them ? any ideea ?

Maybe just post the link with a broken character in there that we can remove and get the link.

| Mage | Rogue |
    - Barthilas-US -

post logs with spaces
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonus View Post
    Anyway stop being such an ass fucktard.
    Quote Originally Posted by oblivium666 View Post
    Would you kindly go fuck yourself?

Deleted
    warcraftlogs.com /reports/M61xcfw4pmLBJQj3/#view=analytical&type=damage-done

worldofwarcraft.com /en-gb/character/alakir/leadenblood

I am a menace to my own destiny.

I'm 924 here's mine from Saturday for comparison purposes.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...CPypgR#fight=6

Edit: note we hero after the first balls, I like to pop everything on pull but IV, then save IV for post balls 1, stack it with hero and potion. Then I have my second hero and you'll notice I tried to stack up IV with hero when I could. Key to good dps on that fight is getting the balls, and avoiding the bombs. You also want to assign a person to interrupt, so you don't interrupt early and get as much time with the ball buff as you can, iirc. It's a fight where others in the raid can really screw your dps. I go fire most fights, and I have high mastery, no bracers, but can still destroy on that fight if you plan cooldowns and collect balls well.
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2017-08-28 at 03:15 PM.

Deleted
    My point...i should do more dps !! atleast 1 mil and yet i do not.
    I post this log in the hope that you guys can tell me if i do anything wrong, in the rotation or somethin else.
    I usually pop all on first bloodlust then i use IV and then i use my own bloodlust (from ring) when IV finishies.
    My crit is only 32% with food, could this be a problem to why somne fights i get so few procs ?

And my ice lance doesnt crit that much, if you see i have only 43% and i should get higher then that...
    Last edited by mmoc640df0fb66; 2017-08-28 at 04:36 PM.

Crit doesn't affect your procs. You simply need 34% for 100% Shatter crit.
    As you use the Bracers (if I'm not wrong) you have to use at least 1 Ice Lance within 7 seconds (8 sec buff) to extent the dmg boost - this can be an Ice Lance without proc, but you should try to never use an Ice Lance without a proc.
    Last edited by Bloodyleech; 2017-08-28 at 04:46 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You shouldn't worry about the bracer stacks. Using unempowered IL's to refresh has been a dps loss for a few patches now. With no mage changes, I expect this to remain the same.

Sitting on one FoF to refresh might be a dps increase, but you risk wasting it on a BF Flurry combo. In practice, you'll get the best results ignoring it entirely and focusing on other parts of your rotation.

OT for Maiden: The most prominent shortcoming I can see compared to a few top logs is that your Grace/Vigor stack count is inconsistent. You got 7, 6, and 3 on your attempt, and the logs I'm looking at are consistently getting 8+ each time. It might be a little RNG, but try hard to get as many stacks as possible without endangering the raid.

Also, save IV and trinkets for the first shield. The damage buff greatly increases the value of your cooldowns, so much so that its worth the downtime at the beginning of the boss.
    Last edited by Ambereldus; 2017-08-28 at 06:33 PM. Reason: OT Advice

Oh, that this is really a dps loss is something new for me - thought these 18% more dmg are worth it.

10+ Year Old Account
    To be honest, its nice not to be forced to micro-manage the buff, since its duration is so short that even a BF combo can disrupt it entirely.

You should play like you aren't wearing the bracers, change nothing, ignore it.

You should get 8-9 balls on every single run. You want to stack hero, 9+balls, owl, potion and iv.

Example: I see you saved hero until post balls(1 minute into the fight). Did you have icy veins up for that or was it on cooldown? Now there is a 2 minute gap between that and the next ball phase/hero. You can fight the urge to IV on pull and....

tldr; get hero ring, hero twice, line this up with ball heros:

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...&ability=12472

Frost is at an innate disadvantage on that fight because of long IV CD and short after pull burn phase with high encounter related buff. I won't say that delaying IV is optimal, but it can be quite advantageous if you plan out the timing for your specific raid, make sure you aren't missing IV, but you will never hit 1.2 mill without gaming balls, and shooing off IV outside of hero + balls.

Deleted
    Yes you are right, i always used ice lance in betwin frost bolts to keep the buff up.
    Tryed like you guys said and i saw an improvement (tryed it on dummy) but still havent managed to keep atleast 1 mil dps overall, 950 k was best.
    I know crit doesnt count but what about the procs ?
    I mean can i do somethin about them ? On the dummy i casted even 20 frost bolts and only after 20 !! i got a proc .
    Should i got with frozen touch talent on all bosess ? instead of swiching in betwin spliting ice (on bosess with adds).
    The fight on maiden was just one example that i need to improve my game play, thats why i asked for help.

Quote Originally Posted by Leadenblood View Post
    Yes you are right, i always used ice lance in betwin frost bolts to keep the buff up.
    Tryed like you guys said and i saw an improvement (tryed it on dummy) but still havent managed to keep atleast 1 mil dps overall, 950 k was best.
    I know crit doesnt count but what about the procs ?
    I mean can i do somethin about them ? On the dummy i casted even 20 frost bolts and only after 20 !! i got a proc .
    Should i got with frozen touch talent on all bosess ? instead of swiching in betwin spliting ice (on bosess with adds).
    The fight on maiden was just one example that i need to improve my game play, thats why i asked for help.
    It looks like you only hero'd once on that encounter(I may be wrong) but you have the ring. Did you hero twice? You should always hero twice, if you are the only lust carry drums. Use second hero once IV comes back up.

Your trinkets really suck. You should get owl and shark trinkets asap.

You definitely have some play issues. Someone else may be along to give more detailed advice but I will say this as general advice:

1. Always be casting
    2. Always get a frostbolt(or ebonbolt) in before you brainfreeze and always get an ice lance in after you brainfreeze
    3. With the bracers you should be wearing a 2p t19 with your 4 set
    4. Your ilvl is artificially inflated due to garbage trinkets and no tier 19, thus making you sim lower in your ilvl vs people who got to that lvl through correct gearing
    5. 1% point under the crit cap is effectively (edit2?%) lower crit, fix it immediately
    6. Your talents look fine, I would not change them ever, really, not necessary for frost play like that until you get the hang of it, once you get out of the greys/greens you can start throwing in blizzard
    7. Your haste and crit are a tad too low to parse very well, because your mastery is too high
    8. What is your latency?
    9. When you have stacks of ice lance(fof) and you get the opportunity to dump them without a BF proc, dump them, dump them all until they run out. Don't cast a frost bolt between each one, that's last patch, dump it and get back to your default rotation and you may prevent a munch.

Sorry I can't help more, fix that and you will be better. I would speculate that you may be moving sideways to spend a BF proc(to prevent hard cast). When you do that, there is a chance you are interrupting the frost bolt before it. I say that because your FB damage looks lower than I would expect and if you get that FB off right before you BF both will crit. Make sure you are getting the FB->BF->IL combo off each time, make sure you double hero on every pull(and only hero during cooldowns) and watch extraneous movement. Always be casting.

You should always know what spell to cast next, get the tell me when addon and download the profile from these forums.

Frost is really easy because there are just not a lot of options. Your combo comes up, you do it. Ebonbolt? Do the combo. Overwrite any pretties that pop up in favor of the combo. Just make sure to get out of your own way. I see a lot of uncertainty in those who can't parse well as frost. Frost is one of the few specs where it is actually easy to emulate simcraft results on a target dummy(which is another reason it is currently quite good), so it's more about what you are doing during the fight to prevent that robot-like play from happening. Moving too much? Certainly. Always be casting? Certainly not. As frost, you really should be the guy setting there turreting when everyone else is running around screaming. Relax and ABC, shimmer or be hit by a mechanic, but don't stop casting.

edited: and I know you are tired of hearing about maiden, but another trick, once the balls come out, everyone is froze, immediately turn towards maiden and shimmer twice, you will reach the balls first and screw others out of balls because justice.

edit 2: This really helps, record yourself and watch it back, you will see all instances of extraneous movement.
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2017-08-29 at 02:26 PM.

Deleted
    What you said helped a lot,kinda confirmed me a few things i knew.

Wan't sure about my trinkets,now i am.Got the owl (not the hc one,the 905 from normal but still) and hope next wensday i get the shark.
    I always use ic after brain freeze but not always fs befor it,will do from now on.
    Wasn't sure about the 2p with the 4 set but ill try to get them.
    Already changed a piece of my gear to get more crit and will change another to get more.
    I asked about talents because a lot of mages told me to changed.
    My latency is good 40ms home and world.

Thanx a lot for the sugestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenfoldor View Post
    5. 1% point under the crit cap is effectively 3% lower crit, fix it immediately
    1% translates to 1.5 actually. The formula is (crit% * 1.5) + 50
    And crit cap is not that important. Most people do well enough around 30%.

Im wondering if at that much mastery, Glacial Spike might not be a better talent pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Ehrenpanzer View Post
    Im wondering if at that much mastery, Glacial Spike might not be a better talent pick.
    GS doesn't really like mastery all that much after the nerf either.

Start with improving your dps on a simple fight like Goroth.
    Your best dps on Goroth heroic is 700k while you were probably simming for around 1000k+ and currently on 1200k (you got some upgrades, nice).
    From sims I can tell you can grow about 300-500k dps, that is quite a lot.

It is crucial that you understand that on a fight lasting 4min30 (but any fight really) you want to stack CDs as much as possible, meaning bloodlust (2x), potions (2x) and icy veins (2x). In your best Goroth log, everything is off and not in sync, especially the random bloodlust at 2min 17.

You guys need to use BL at pull on this boss with pre-pots (try using potion of prolonged power) which pairs well with everyones CDs and not just a few.
    This increases the raid dps AND allows you to utlize a 2nd bloodlust around 2min30 thanks to Shard when IV comes off CD and your 2nd pot of prolonged power.

This is your dps graph on 4min30:
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...-done&source=8

This is what it should look like with BL ring on 4min30:
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...done&source=31

You should have 2 BL phases paired with IV and pot causing two extreme dps spikes in your graph.
    Most things have been mentioned already regarding your rotation. I can only note that in that log of my mage friend with BL ring, he is on 40% Icy veins uptime (vs 20%) and 100% Ice Lance crits (vs 55%). This indicates that you really need to get the shattercap (itemization) and stop lancing without FoF/Winters Chill). Me and Sanz aim to try and get a 2nd frozen orb during Icy Veins, it depends a lot on gear and procs (flurry) but if we need to cast 1 or 2 instant blizzards on 1 target to achieve a 2nd frozen orb during IV then we do so. You could try to play around that and see if you are able to.

Quote Originally Posted by nickseng View Post
    1% translates to 1.5 actually. The formula is (crit% * 1.5) + 50
    And crit cap is not that important. Most people do well enough around 30%.
    Thanks for the formula. For most, crit will sim highest up to the cap. Why gear sloppily and have to make up for it with gameplay? Is there some advantage to being at 30 vs 33.34? It would definitely increase your max, but your min as well. Seems like leaving damage on the table, unless it requires decisions outside of simple gemming/enchanting that may in and of themselves cause greater dps loss than ending up below the crit cap.