Page 23 of 34 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by RohanV View Post
    I think the WoW community has gotten a lot better since they introduced Mythic+ dungeons in Legion. There's much more segregation of the playerbase by ability. Highly skilled players push high keys, and lower skilled ones push lower ones or do heroics. If you choose to go lower, you know that most people will be undergeared or underskilled, rather than actually high-skill players grinding gear or currency.

in the past, I've always thought that FFXIV roulettes, making people go back and do older/lower level content, were good things. But now, I'm less sure of that. To add to that, in my experience people tagged with the Mentor crown have always been the most toxic. Maybe forcing edge players to go back and play with lower-skill players is actually bad for the community.
    Eh I wear the crown and I always give guidance in lower level dungeons. Be it criticism, help or other stuff. But yeah sadly the crown is associated with toxicity these days which is sad. Problem is anyone can be a Mentor and most are just in it for the mount.

Help out in NN when I can too. Although on Cerberus sadly it's mostly just random people posting whatever.

@Wrecktangle

He literally ragged on the tank constantly for doing medium sized pulls to learn the mass pull methods which again is common.

So I just got bored of it and said "how about you off DPS as a healer before calling people out? Or better yet use Holy to AoE stun so you know the guy you are healing takes LESS DAMAGE"?

The fact a WHM calls someone out for tanking and isn't using Holy which in turn helps a tank is amusing to say the least. I mean why the hell would you not stun mobs so your tank lives longer?

Ended up with 2 commendations.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2018-09-19 at 01:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattelot View Post
    Pushing your personal views upon people and using it as an excuse to call them out. Either you’re lying like you have been or you want people to see you as a bully. Congrats and thanks for proving all my points.
    Please stop feeding the troll. Just don't even respond to them. As long as they don't have "issues" they will eventually go away.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    Your common denominator bit I do disagree with though. FF14 is very derivative. Look at Eureka, Look at Dungeons. Everything is niche content for a specific player type which is why so much is DOA. Nothing is designed with multiple player types in mind (i.e. why does Eureka not have anything in it for EX/Savage quality players?).
    I've been asking that same question. I can do better than Eureka quality items without all the effort. I assume it's because people wanted "relic-esque" items without all the group-forced things in the game's history. You "can" group for expediting or you can solo and still have tangible progress.

Let's calm down, folks.

Accusations of trolling are against the rules on the forums and the thread is also veering off topic.

It's fine for people to state opposing opinions. Some are going to like WoW's design better. Some are going to like FFXIV's better. Nobody's opinion here is going to result in altering either game. Let's cut out the back and forth.

OP asked some simple questions. Answer them and give your feedback. There's no need for pages of debate and squabbling over the exact same topics and anecdotes over and over.

I also quit WoW and now play FFXIV. I started playing WoW at the beginning of 2005 in Vanilla.

The hardest part was leaving something that I have played for so long. At one point in time, losing being part of something I knew so well would have been a big problem, but recently I had noticed that the game and lore has changed so much that I really didn't know as much as I used to in the beginning.

The biggest difference in general between WoW and FFXIV, and why I like FFXIV so much more, is the difference in direction. WoW feels like their goal is to give you just enough to hook you, but leave out enough to make you feel like you are ALMOST complete, but you can never ever get there. What I mean are the weird arbitrary things like restricting how many main skills you can have on a toon, restricting race/class combinations, etc. For me, it made me go crazy creating alts. Once I felt like I had gone as far as I could on my "main", and then I'd have to make a new "main" to fill those voids I felt were missing. So far with FFXIV, it seems like the game direction is to let players have more of what they want instead of stringing them along ALMOST giving you what you want. It's much easier to log an hour in FFXIV and stop for the day, unlike WoW where no matter how long I played I couldn't feel like I got to a good resting spot.

What I dislike about FFXIV more are the endless cut scenes, and zone loading. Even though you can skip most cut scenes, it's still annoying for me, but I hate anything that takes me out of the game or makes me lose control of my character.

Full disclosure: I don't do PvP, so I can't compare that.
    Last edited by jaekae; 2018-09-30 at 10:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jaekae View Post
    I also quit WoW and now play FFXIV. I started playing WoW at the beginning of 2005 in Vanilla.

The hardest part was leaving something that I have played for so long. At one point in time, losing being part of something I knew so well would have been a big problem, but recently I had noticed that the game and lore has changed so much that I really didn't know as much as I used to in the beginning.

The biggest difference in general between WoW and FFXIV, and why I like FFXIV so much more, is the difference in direction. WoW feels like their goal is to give you just enough to hook you, but leave out enough to make you feel like you are ALMOST complete, but you can never ever get there. What I mean are the weird arbitrary things like restricting how many main skills you can have on a toon, restricting race/class combinations, etc. For me, it made me go crazy creating alts. Once I felt like I had gone as far as I could on my "main", and then I'd have to make a new "main" to fill those voids I felt were missing. So far with FFXIV, it seems like the game direction is to let players have more of what they want instead of stringing them along ALMOST giving you what you want. It's much easier to log an hour in FFXIV and stop for the day, unlike WoW where no matter how long I played I couldn't feel like I got to a good resting spot.

What I dislike about FFXIV more are the endless cut scenes, and zone loading. Even though you can skip most cut scenes, it's still annoying for me, but I hate anything that takes me out of the game or makes me lose control of my character.

Full disclosure: I don't do PvP, so I can't compare that.
    Probably for the best. I play FF XIV over WoW but FF XIV pvp is...not great, and I don't think I've met someone who enjoys it for its own sake and doesn't just do it for the glamours. I'm sure those people exist but it seems like the majority think FF XIV's pvp is bad.

For me, I think part of why I like FF XIV is the lore/story over WoW's, relatively better character creator (though the variance BETWEEN races is smaller), and no endless grinds.

FF XIV's story isn't perfect, I feel SB was a step back from HW, but I still find it more engaging as a setting than Azeroth these days.

Little things in RP also help a lot. Small details like different idle poses to cycle between when standing, alternate poses with weapons drawn, sitting and laying etc. Different dances that aren't all immersion breaking like most of WoW's /dance emotes. Player housing is a big thing for RP, even back when all I had was a room at my FC. Class/job stories every expansion.

I know I don't have to max out my heart of azeroth and I didn't have to max out my artifact before it, but don't like having this seemingly endless grind sitting there. Eureka Pagos was a painful grind, but I could get my shield and be done with it. No need to constantly be thinking about feeding my relic throughout the entire expansion.

WoW certainly wins in quantity of content, especially raid fights, both in number and number of difficulties to experience them in, but at the same time I don't feel that WoW's boss fights on average are better than FF XIV's raid fights. But then again my perspective is a bit skewed as I haven't raided since Emerald Nightmare and barely raided in WoD to boot.

For me, it's not really "choosing between WoW of FFXIV", so much as "What do I feel like playing RIGHT NOW?". One of the things I love most about FFXIV is that it is highly considerate of your time, and never feels like it penalized you for "falling behind". It's a great game to take extended breaks, and come back for a month or two on occasion -- or get sucked into playing hardcore for a few months.

I definitely went all-in on FFXIV early on, as I'd felt really burnt-out on WoW (as others have said, once Arthas died, it felt like they were struggling to find their pacing). I eventually stopped playing FFXIV (financial reasons as the time), and subsequently eventually returned to WoW. For me, personally, I just don't have it in me to abide by strict raiding schedules anymore, so I only play MMO's for the single-player content, as strange as that may sound. FFXIV definitely makes it a lot easier, and I've generally always found the community surrounding that game to be incredibly pleasant and helpful. In fact, the only time I ever encountered an 'asshole' in FFXIV, I was trying to tank, one of the DPS gave me shit, I explained I was new to tanking, and he apologized and started giving me tips (apparently he was a pretty experienced tank).

Honestly, as shallow as it is, the biggest reason I couldn't stick with FFXIV is because I suffer from Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder. So, I get hung-up on stupid "choices" that realistically have no bearing on the game or the story (ie. "should my character start in Ul'dah as a Gladiator? Or Limsa Lominsa as a Marauder?"), and I just internally obsess over those things until I can't even enjoy the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've decided to pick this game up again, starting from a new account on free trial. I've got to lvl 30, so will probably purchase the game soon. I played at launch, but only got to around level 40ish. I like how I am able to play on a server exp bonus realm, and only have to focus on the main story and class quests for the time being.

What I expect from this game
    -fun casual content
    -cool story
    -low skill ceiling

I'll continue to play WoW as well, but I'm at that stage where I can't be bothered to do anything outside of raids apart from some M+.

What I don't expect from the game
    -to replace WoW raid and dungeon challenge that I crave

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tekkommo View Post
    I've decided to pick this game up again, starting from a new account on free trial. I've got to lvl 30, so will probably purchase the game soon. I played at launch, but only got to around level 40ish. I like how I am able to play on a server exp bonus realm, and only have to focus on the main story and class quests for the time being.
    A little warning for you, there is a long stretch of questing that might break you. Quest flow goes thusly:
    ARR - the main story aka Seventh Umbral Era Quests
    patches 2.1-2.5 - Seventh Astral Era Quests aka the gopher era, if you can get past this required boredom you are golden
    Heavensward Main Scenario Quests

This might have been changed in the last month or three but I doubt it. Good luck to you, I can't over that hump and refuse to buy a skip potion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmatrix View Post
    A little warning for you, there is a long stretch of questing that might break you. Quest flow goes thusly:
    ARR - the main story aka Seventh Umbral Era Quests
    patches 2.1-2.5 - Seventh Astral Era Quests aka the gopher era, if you can get past this required boredom you are golden
    Heavensward Main Scenario Quests

This might have been changed in the last month or three but I doubt it. Good luck to you, I can't over that hump and refuse to buy a skip potion.
    I'm usually fine if I haven't done it before. Will have to wait and see I guess.

How much are the potions out of interest?

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm usually fine if I haven't done it before. Will have to wait and see I guess.

Main quest skip potion
    ARR - $18
    Heavensward (includes ARR as well) - $25

Level 60 potions
    Fr Each Class - $25
    Retainers - $9 for one, $25.50 for three, $40.50 for five

10+ Year Old Account

Honestly i would say do itm whike it can definitely be a slough it dies add stuff to the story and has a few "oh shit" moments as well as intriducing some new NPCs who become important kater on

Also check put the waking sands/rising stones npcs everg time you visit as they have dialogue changes

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    For me, it's not really "choosing between WoW of FFXIV", so much as "What do I feel like playing RIGHT NOW?". One of the things I love most about FFXIV is that it is highly considerate of your time, and never feels like it penalized you for "falling behind". It's a great game to take extended breaks, and come back for a month or two on occasion -- or get sucked into playing hardcore for a few months.

I definitely went all-in on FFXIV early on, as I'd felt really burnt-out on WoW (as others have said, once Arthas died, it felt like they were struggling to find their pacing). I eventually stopped playing FFXIV (financial reasons as the time), and subsequently eventually returned to WoW. For me, personally, I just don't have it in me to abide by strict raiding schedules anymore, so I only play MMO's for the single-player content, as strange as that may sound. FFXIV definitely makes it a lot easier, and I've generally always found the community surrounding that game to be incredibly pleasant and helpful. In fact, the only time I ever encountered an 'asshole' in FFXIV, I was trying to tank, one of the DPS gave me shit, I explained I was new to tanking, and he apologized and started giving me tips (apparently he was a pretty experienced tank).

Honestly, as shallow as it is, the biggest reason I couldn't stick with FFXIV is because I suffer from Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder. So, I get hung-up on stupid "choices" that realistically have no bearing on the game or the story (ie. "should my character start in Ul'dah as a Gladiator? Or Limsa Lominsa as a Marauder?"), and I just internally obsess over those things until I can't even enjoy the game.
    Maybe flesh out some RP/lore reasons as to your character's origins and whatnot? Granted, I basically backed into mine by sheer accident/luck. Started as a Highlander, in Ul'dah, Rhalgr being chosen deity. The only thing that didn't "check the box" was that I started as Thaumaturge instead of Pugilist (because I made up my mind in advance I wanted to play Black Mage).

One disadvantage, though, is if you wanted to play different character archetypes for different jobs; ie, a Lalafel caster/healer or a Roegadyn tank. I'd still rather things be as they are, where you can play every job on a single character. That aspect of this game has completely spoiled me to the point I don't think I could start anew in an MMO without such a system.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    Honestly i would say do itm whike it can definitely be a slough it dies add stuff to the story and has a few "oh shit" moments as well as intriducing some new NPCs who become important kater on

Also check put the waking sands/rising stones npcs everg time you visit as they have dialogue changes
    I need to fully decide on a class first lol.

Started with Arcanist, planning to go Summoner. Then tried Rogue, now thinking about a Black Mage...

Started with Arcanist, planning to go Summoner. Then tried Rogue, now thinking about a Black Mage...
    My two cents, but given the sheer number of things you have to queue for as you level, "maining" a tank or healer while leveling will be very helpful in speeding up the process. DPS queue times aren't terrible, but having to wait 10-15 minutes (usual DPS queue times) every time you have to queue for something is literally like 4+ hours of waiting to enter the content you want to see, maybe more because there are a LOT of story dungeons and trials.

With roulettes and Palace of the Dead (which unlocks at ~16 after doing story Copperbell Mines) being incredibly easy to level up to level 60, there doesn't need to be a lot of anxiety on which class to level.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    Maybe flesh out some RP/lore reasons as to your character's origins and whatnot? Granted, I basically backed into mine by sheer accident/luck. Started as a Highlander, in Ul'dah, Rhalgr being chosen deity. The only thing that didn't "check the box" was that I started as Thaumaturge instead of Pugilist (because I made up my mind in advance I wanted to play Black Mage).

One disadvantage, though, is if you wanted to play different character archetypes for different jobs; ie, a Lalafel caster/healer or a Roegadyn tank. I'd still rather things be as they are, where you can play every job on a single character. That aspect of this game has completely spoiled me to the point I don't think I could start anew in an MMO without such a system.
    Yeah, it was difficult getting used to "only playing ONE character", but there are a lot of benefits with such a system, too.

As far as my own specific issues, I get what you mean, I just wasn't able to really "buy into it" for myself. Like you said, a Highlander starting in Ul'dah (especially your deity being Rhalgr" just "fits". I kept searching for a similar "fit" for the Au Ra, but nothing ever felt quite right. To a point, maybe it's because both options really *did* fit pretty well (although in other ways, *neither* fits, since the Au Ra don't actually "exist" in Eorzea until after Yugiri shows up). Like I said; that's what sucks about OCD, even dumb stuff like this can trigger it.

- - - Updated - - -

Just embrace it! One of the best things about FFXIV is that it has a very "No rush!" philosophy. Even limited-time holiday items always wind up being available again, and items are never truly "retired" (if it's something you REALLY want, at the very least it will likely be available on the cash shop at some point). And really, it doesn't make any real different whether you bounce around classes now, or try to level them up later, since you'll wind up doing the same content either way. In fact, unless they've changed it since I played, most "Jobs" (think "Advanced Classes") actually require you to have multiple Classes leveled up (ie. lvl 30 Gladiator and lvl 15 Conjurer unlocks Paladin, as I recall).

Best advice I could give is just find which one has a rotation that "feels" the best to you, and just go all-in on that one. But yeah, don't be afraid to bounce around and test the waters with all of the classes available to you. Some of the DPS queue-times can be a little long, but there aren't THAT many mandatory dungeons, so I don't think it's any sort of real issue.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know people complain in WoW about the removal of abilities, and I somewhat agree that WoW went too far.

Just unlocked Ninja and holy hell looking at my spell book, looks like massive ability bloat.

Maybe I'm wrong, and it will actually be quite simple once everything is unlocked one by one, but for the moment it looks like dps rotations have a bit too many buttons. Maybe a lot of what I'm looking at is junk and not used.

I know people complain in WoW about the removal of abilities, and I somewhat agree that WoW went too far.

Just unlocked Ninja and holy hell looking at my spell book, looks like massive ability bloat.

Maybe I'm wrong, and it will actually be quite simple once everything is unlocked one by one, but for the moment it looks like dps rotations have a bit too many buttons. Maybe a lot of what I'm looking at is junk and not used.
    Kinda. Only big two are Hyoton Mudra since it's worthless for PvE and Stealth after 50 because the Suiton Mudra allows you to use Trick Attack without Stealth.

Mug looks worthless now but it gets a buff later through a trait.

The spell book looks larger than the actual skill bar.

I mained NIN in ARR and HW and I got to 70. I have 1 or 2 empty slots I didn't use to have at 70. The DPS rotation in Stormblood actually bored me compared to HW and I do have less on my bars than I used to.

Remember that all the ninjutsu skills are separate in the spell book, but share a single button.

SAM's full opening rotations is ridiculously long, but I've come to love it.

As others have already said, due to the Ninja Mudra combos, their spell book has more abilities than you have hot bar buttons since every one of those abilities uses the same 4 buttons (Ten-Jin-Chi + Mudra key).

Many of the abilities every class has can be ranked like this:
    1) Constantly used abilities critical to doing damage (# of abilities like these vary based on the class, but most have at least 6)
    2) Regularly used abilities that augment your damage dealing capabilities/ help you do your job like tank threat combo, debuffs/buffs on relatively short cooldowns or used as part of a combo. Most classes have 2-4 abilities, and/or maybe 1-2 combos
    3) Short throughput cooldowns
    4) Long throughput cooldowns
    5) Special use abilities for "special" occasions. WHM Benediction, Hallowed Ground, Homgang, Living Dead, RDM Manafication, SMN/SCH Sustain, etc... where you don't use them as soon as they come off cooldown, you only use them at the appropriate time.

All of these combined amount to over 25 abilities that you'll use pretty consistently. If you're coming from WoW and that's been your main experience with MMO's, FFXIV will certainly feel like it suffers from a HUGE ability bloat. I agree with that. I think WoW has too few abilities and FFXIV has far too many. Somewhere in the middle is where I'd like them. The one thing that FFXIV does well though is making you feel rewarded with game play changes as you level and get new abilities or traits that change how an ability works. WoW feels pretty much the same for a huge portion of your leveling and end game experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    The one thing that FFXIV does well though is making you feel rewarded with game play changes as you level and get new abilities or traits that change how an ability works. WoW feels pretty much the same for a huge portion of your leveling and end game experience.
    While it is nice that you do gain meaningful abilities as you level, I wish they would restructure some of it, as some jobs can feel woefully incomplete for long stretches of their leveling.