Page 1 of 8
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Smile 'I don't recognise my country anymore': British citizens leaving UK because of Brexit

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7914606.html

British citizens devastated by the EU referendum result are leaving the UK to seek a new life abroad as statistics reveal rising emigration.

Following a report on the European citizens fleeing Britain in what is being dubbed a “Brexodus”, The Independent has been inundated with messages from Brits saying they are doing the same.

Cliff James, 44, describes himself as a “Brexile” after upping sticks in October last year and travelling to countries including India, Nepal, Australia, France, Israel and parts of South America.

“The EU referendum result was a huge shock, like a bereavement,” he said.

“Overnight, it felt like the country had returned to the Dark Ages of ignorance and hatred… I thought about staying and trying to fight this tide, but it felt overwhelming.”

Mr James, who has written a book on his experiences travelling the world, said he was disturbed by rising reports of hate crime and had European friends who were targeted with verbal abuse, vandalism and graffiti.

Like several other Brits who contacted The Independent, he has applied for Irish citizenship in the hope or retaining a formal link to the EU and the rights it entails.

Mr James plans to eventually settle in Spain and says that despite missing his friends and the UK landscape, he has no regrets.

“I can never see myself returning to live in England now,” he added. “I don’t recognise the country of my birth anymore… I feel like an exile.”

Sheree-lea Fox, from Southampton, is preparing to move to Denmark with her partner next summer and “cannot wait” to leave.

The 27-year-old, who is expecting their first child, said she felt proud to be British but now believes people are “becoming far more racist, less tolerant and generally selfish”.

“England has become such an unfriendly place,” Ms Fox added. “England is and will always be my home but I won’t miss anything.

“I worry massively about family I leave behind, it seems England is declining in so many ways.”

Her Danish partner, Marc Oliver Bahl, said he originally loved the UK after arriving to study at university but no longer wants to raise a family here.

“The referendum has made me fearful of what might happen to us as a family if we aren’t legally married,” he said.

“I feel that England cannot and doesn’t protect or look after its citizens in the same way that Denmark does and therefore would prefer to raise my family there.

“My plans now are to finish my degree and move home as soon as we can.”
    It's for the best I reckon. If you don't recognize your country anymore then it may be time to move to greener pastures. Especially with May still in power.

So Brexit seems like a major success. Out from EU and the unpatriotic traitors leave the country on their own volition

So they didn't win and now the anti-brexit people are basically running away, yep way to teach the brexit team a lesson.

please leave your citizenship behind so you can't vote any more.

They really cared about their country, it seems. It's a shame they were betrayed by that pesky thing called Democratic Voting.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    That Danish guy haven't been home for a while. We're more nationalistic than the British.

7+ Year Old Account
    Brexit working exactly as intended, already controlling our borders and inward immigration. They should GTFO and not shut the door on their way out.

13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    Brexit working exactly as intended, already controlling our borders and inward immigration. They should GTFO and not shut the door on their way out.

Then we'll watch as people like you with no understanding on reality turn the UK from one of the richest countries in europe back to the sick man of europe that it was before Europe bailed it out.

While you personally can sit there watching the crumble and blame it all on Germans not treating you like a god.

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    Then we'll watch as people like you with no understanding on reality turn the UK from one of the richest countries in europe back to the sick man of europe that it was before Europe bailed it out.

While you personally can sit there watching the crumble and blame it all on Germans not treating you like a god.
    If it happens it happens, but could be a small price to pay to dodge the bullet which is the EU army, if they'll ever decide how to run immigration at an EU level and the half dozen or so existing members who are on the edge of economical collapse. So you know lets not pretend Brexit is going to be perfect but neither is the EU.

Deleted
    Yeah, nice try.
    Meanwhile in reality they mean "I don't recognize my country anymore" literally, because it starts to look and feel like they live in Iraq or Nigeria. And they flee in the middle and eastern european countries

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    So Brexit seems like a major success. Out from EU and the unpatriotic traitors leave the country on their own volition
    So everyone who has a different opinion is a traitor? Good to know. Who's a triggered snowflake now?

and go where?

Where are you going to find a place to be more British than the U.K.?

England has been falling for a long time. Just look at the housing situations around major cities, how the countryside is reserved for the richest, how there's too many people and the social services are so overworked they tell people to "sit and wait", hoping they'll become a problem some other day.

And it's what I'm afraid is happening to my own country now, our welfare state is being hammered away and compromised upon by our government which has all the wrong priorities.

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    Looking at the UK economy, it was probably not the best thing that could have happened but whatever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Peebuddy View Post
    and go where?

Where are you going to find a place to be more British than the U.K.?
    The Falklands?
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Deleted
    I struggle to see what was democratic about this vote.

There wasn't any clear idea of what we were actually voting for and still isn't, unless we were voting our faith in the government (that has largely changed since the vote) to begin some negotiations that mean we're sort of withdrawing from something while trying to not fully also withdraw from it at the same time kind of sort of.

I think a lot of us were betrayed by the whole referendum and it was just a political chip Cameron used to remain in power that he didn't think would backfire but did.

I also don't think that either side are "idiots" for that they voted and I am sure everyone has reasons, although I have never really liked the idea of 'our borders' as if we chose a snap shot of history that was somehow the perfect amount of immigration? And when would that snap shot be? 40's? 80's? 1800's? 1500's?

Quote Originally Posted by Daroof View Post
    I struggle to see what was democratic about this vote.

There wasn't any clear idea of what we were actually voting for and still isn't, unless we were voting our faith in the government (that has largely changed since the vote) to begin some negotiations that mean we're sort of withdrawing from something while trying to not fully also withdraw from it at the same time kind of sort of.

I think a lot of us were betrayed by the whole referendum and it was just a political chip Cameron used to remain in power that he didn't think would backfire but did.

I also don't think that either side are "idiots" for that they voted and I am sure everyone has reasons, although I have never really liked the idea of 'our borders' as if we chose a snap shot of history that was somehow the perfect amount of immigration? And when would that snap shot be? 40's? 80's? 1800's? 1500's?
    People should have the intelligence to know that in any election, everyone spins their own agenda beyond the rediculus. It is on the voter to do their own research from multiple sources and make their mind up that way. If people voted just on Boris Johnsons battle bus or Nick Cleggs crying, then more fool them.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's hilarious seeing people chide those who voted to stay for wanting to leave the UK now as traitors and other rubbish. They are free to not have to pay the price for your misinformed vote just as you are free to make that vote.

It's like lighting your house on fire and then criticizing those who didn't and are trying to escape. Obviously this is hyperbole but the concept still stands.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zumzum View Post
    Yeah, nice try.
    Meanwhile in reality they mean "I don't recognize my country anymore" literally, because it starts to look and feel like they live in Iraq or Nigeria. And they flee in the middle and eastern european countries
    Yeah no that's not what they're saying whatsoever. Though to someone with an agenda and a one-track mind it can appear as such .
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta ass."

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know anyone who has left (or thinking about leaving) the UK as a result of Brexit, a lot of people have said they would like to leave but have not the funds, hell I'd leave myself, not because of Brexit I just want to live somewhere else lol.

I can only assume its the upper class leaving in which case good riddance. Bloody stuck up snobs so detached from reality.
    Last edited by Orby; 2017-08-26 at 11:02 PM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Deleted
    Sheree-lea Fox, from Southampton, is preparing to move to Denmark with her partner next summer and “cannot wait” to leave.
    Fuck off we're full.
    But seriously, don't fucking emigrate to soil on which you do not belong or intend to contribute to. Sounds pretty fucking selfish, aswell as unfriendly and bigotted to your home grown soil.

The 27-year-old, who is expecting their first child, said she felt proud to be British but now believes people are “becoming far more racist, less tolerant and generally selfish”.
    She lives in Southern England for christ's sake. 27 years old and money enough to settle down in another country? Sounds pretty fucking posh to me. Detatched from reality.

“I worry massively about family I leave behind, it seems England is declining in so many ways.”
    Build and regenerate the community then!
    Who am I kidding, though. They only care about macropolitics and virtues, not about the local community.

“I feel that England cannot and doesn’t protect or look after its citizens in the same way that Denmark does and therefore would prefer to raise my family there.
    lol, virtuous nonsense. Westminster doesn't align with her poltical ideology so therefore her soil is no longer worthy of her posh ass. Better raise my kids somewhere else for political reasons!

These are people with no roots, no home and no history. Shamelessly moving from their communities to live in foreign countries to which they have no ties but a university flick.