15+ Year Old Account

Financing a gaming pc?

Hey folks, let me explain before people jump on my head. Awhile ago I posted on here about a 500-600 dollar budget for upgrading my PC when I got back stateside. Got a lot of good answers which I greatly appreciated. I got back two days ago, moving truck dropped everything off yesterday. I start going through boxes.... no PC. I start trippin', literally. Without going into what happened, which would take a great wall of text, I'm now looking at buying a new PC, keyboard, mouse, and monitor. Somehow my Bose speakers made it here which is a miracle.

So I'm not stupid, I know I can't buy a gaming PC for $600, especially when I need the keyboard, mouse and monitor. I hate having debt, I've always paid my debt off really fast. Example, my 5 year car loan was paid off in a little over 2 years... I hate debt. Anyways, with FFXIV on the horizon, I need a PC that can play that on the highest settings, and last me the next 2-3 years with minimal if any upgrades.

So here is my question as listed in the Title. Anyone know of any gaming PC places that also finance? Only things I've seen that finance are alienware and best buy. I've never bought a PC from either place, but as I hear all the time, those aren't great places to get a gaming PC. Any advice is welcome, thanks.
    my SWTOR referal link:
    http://www.swtor.com/r/CVCyHD

Newegg does financing and building yourself is also much more cost effective.
    Fluorescent - Fluo - currently retired, playing other stuff

i5-4670k @ 4.5 / Thermalright Silver Arrow Extreme / Gigabyte Z87X-D3H / 8GB DDR3-1600 RAM / Gigabyte GTX 760

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluorescent0 View Post
    Oh awesome, thanks for that. I'll look at them.

Long story short, last time I tried building my own PC, I wasted almost $400 dollars in Motherboards. Somehow I shorted them out, static or something is what the tech said when they received it. I bought a new one, same thing happened even though 2nd time I was wearing surgical gloves. 3rd time, I just let them install it. I don't know what the hell happened, but even thinking about building my own PC scares me.
    my SWTOR referal link:

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluorescent0 View Post
    Pretty much this.. Not only is the most cost effective there is a very rewarding feeling of DIY.

I wouldn't say that Best Buy and Alienware are bad places to buy a gaming PC, but they are not the cheapest ways to go about the purchase of a new computer.
    Quote Originally Posted by evn View Post
    In fact, I'd argue $100 for a bottle of scotch to drink while you're building it would be the best use of your money - but then, who wouldn't?

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Newegg's financing program is great... depending on how much you spend, you don't even have to pay interest. Check it out.

https://newegg.mypreferredaccount.com/help/index.xhtml

If I remember right, it's like anything over $300 can be financed at 0% if you pay it off before 6 months is up, and $500 and up can be for 12 months interest free (or something like that).

You can set up payments to come out of your checking acct or CC acct, just be sure to pay off by the lump sum due date.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by g01851 View Post
    Newegg's financing program is great... depending on how much you spend, you don't even have to pay interest. Check it out.

https://newegg.mypreferredaccount.com/help/index.xhtml

If I remember right, it's like anything over $300 can be financed at 0% if you pay it off before 6 months is up, and $500 and up can be for 12 months interest free (or something like that).

You can set up payments to come out of your checking acct or CC acct, just be sure to pay off by the lump sum due date.
    Wierd, I just tried it, got declined. I have an 836 credit score, not sure why. Probably has something to do with me being out of country for the past year, only being back for a few days. Kind of a kick in the nuts. I have a credit card I make all my monthly purchases on, but I pay it off every month so as not to incur interests. No, not putting the PC on there because I won't be able to pay it off in a month. Anyways, my credit card got blocked by BoA because it was the first time I used it in this country in a long time and the system saw it as 'suspicious activity'. So I'm hoping that's why I was declined. Kind of weird though, I haven't been declined for anything in years, odd feeling.
    my SWTOR referal link:

At this point, financing a PC is an exercise in futility. Even if you manage to pay it all off within a year, you'll be a generation behind on parts.

It's in your best interest to save up and buy it all at once or leave the build open enough to expand it later on down the road.

I'd opt for the later, so I'd splurge on a Z87 mobo, quality RAM, and a good PSU. Pick-up a monitor on CL. 720p will mean you can max out games with a cheaper GPU (<$100). Toss in a Haswell i3 and source a cheap (free) HDD and case. Finish it off with a Microsoft Desktop 400 mouse and keyboard bundle.

I just recently saw refurbished GTX 460s for $50. Sure they're a few generations behind, but they could still max games up to 1600x900.

Quote Originally Posted by select20 View Post
    So I'm not stupid, I know I can't buy a gaming PC for $600, especially when I need the keyboard, mouse and monitor.
    That all depends on what you consider "a gaming PC". If you want to play the latest games on max settings then no. But look carefully at reviews for the cheaper end graphics cards, CPUs and the like - cost/performance is an exponential relationship. Eg, to get a 10% increase in performance it might cost you 40% more. You can make a PC that can run most games on max and recent games on reasonable quality for very low cost if you're clever about what components you buy. Look for a good price point.

I'd say you could buy a very solid core system for $600, you might go a little over budget since you need peripherals etc but not that much. The biggest extra expense would be the monitor, and they're fairly reasonable now. Between $100-$200. But I'm used to AUD figures, might be cheaper in the US.

As for FFXIV, dunno what the system reqs are but you'd be surprised how little difference it makes if you just have to play with low AA/AF settings or whatever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jmt View Post
    At this point, financing a PC is an exercise in futility. Even if you manage to pay it all off within a year, you'll be a generation behind on parts.

It's in your best interest to save up and buy it all at once or leave the build open enough to expand it later on down the road.

I'd opt for the later, so I'd splurge on a Z87 mobo, quality RAM, and a good PSU. Pick-up a monitor on CL. 720p will mean you can max out games with a cheaper GPU (<$100). Toss in a Haswell i3 and source a cheap (free) HDD and case. Finish it off with a Microsoft Desktop 400 mouse and keyboard bundle.

I just recently saw refurbished GTX 460s for $50. Sure they're a few generations behind, but they could still max games up to 1600x900.
    I'm not waiting, if I did wait I'd be without a gaming pc for a few months. I'm not playing my PS3 for a few months to fill my gaming needs. No PC gamer can do that. In fact, I haven't turned on my PS3 for gaming in probably a year. I only use it for blu-rays.
    my SWTOR referal link:

Quote Originally Posted by jmt View Post
    I disagree, I have always bought mid-range parts (not $600 level maybe but still far from cutting edge) and I upgrade every 3 years max. I haven't had any problems with running any game I play on max in a long time. Computer parts have plateaued a lot more than in say the 90s when a year meant a world of difference.

Not to say there aren't games out there that will run like a slug on a system like mine, but there's not that many and in most cases reducing the settings a bit gets performance back up to a good level and is hardly noticeable while you're actually playing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well, this is what I'm looking at. Needing a monitor and speakers adds a lot to the price, but I can't play with a cheap monitor. I know, I know I can probably build it cheaper, but again, I'm scared to do it as per the experience I told you about in a few posts earlier.

BTS Intel i5 Special
    1 x Case ( Raidmax Orion Gaming Case - Black )
    1 x Case Lighting ( Cold Cathode Neon Light - Blue )
    0 x iBUYPOWER Labs - Noise Reduction ( None )
    0 x iBUYPOWER Labs - Internal Expansion ( None )
    1 x Processor ( Intel® Core™ i5-4670K Processor (4x 3.40GHz/6MB L3 Cache) - Intel Core™ i5-4670K )
    1 x Processor Cooling ( Liquid CPU Cooling System [Intel] - Standard 120mm Fan )
    1 x Memory ( 8 GB [4 GB X2] DDR3-1600 Memory Module - Corsair or Major Brand )
    1 x Video Card ( NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 - 2GB - Single Card )
    1 x Motherboard ( ASRock B85 Pro4 -- 2x PCIe x16, 4x SATA3 6.0 Gb/s, 2x USB 3.0 )
    1 x Power Supply ( 600 Watt - Standard )
    1 x Primary Hard Drive ( 1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 32M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive )
    0 x Data Hard Drive ( None )
    1 x Optical Drive ( 24x Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive - Black )
    0 x 2nd Optical Drive ( None )
    0 x Flash Media Reader / Writer ( None )
    0 x Meter Display ( None )
    1 x Sound Card ( 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard )
    1 x Network Card ( Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100) )
    1 x Operating System ( Windows 8 + Office 2010 Trial [Free 60-Day !!!] - 64-bit )
    1 x Keyboard ( iBUYPOWER Standard Gaming Keyboard )
    1 x Mouse ( iBUYPOWER Standard Gaming Mouse - Blood Red )
    1 x Monitor ( 23" LED TV 1920x1080 -- Sceptre E243BV-FHD )
    0 x 2nd Monitor ( None )
    1 x Speaker System ( Creative Inspire T3300 2.1 Speaker System w/ stylish design and quality performance )
    1 x Wireless Network Adapter ( ASUS USB-N13 802.11b/g/n USB 2.0 300Mbps Wireless USB Adapter )
    0 x Video Camera ( None )
    1 x Advanced Build Options ( iBUYPOWER Specialized Advanced Packaging System - Protect your investment during transportation! )
    0 x Case Engraving Service ( None )
    1 x Warranty ( 3 Year Standard Warranty Service )
    my SWTOR referal link:

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well, this is what I'm looking at. Needing a monitor and speakers adds a lot to the price, but I can't play with a cheap monitor. I know, I know I can probably build it cheaper, but again, I'm scared to do it as per the experience I told you about in a few posts earlier.

BTS Intel i5 Special
    1 x Case ( Raidmax Orion Gaming Case - Black )
    1 x Case Lighting ( Cold Cathode Neon Light - Blue )
    0 x iBUYPOWER Labs - Noise Reduction ( None )
    0 x iBUYPOWER Labs - Internal Expansion ( None )
    1 x Processor ( Intel® Core™ i5-4670K Processor (4x 3.40GHz/6MB L3 Cache) - Intel Core™ i5-4670K )
    1 x Processor Cooling ( Liquid CPU Cooling System [Intel] - Standard 120mm Fan )
    1 x Memory ( 8 GB [4 GB X2] DDR3-1600 Memory Module - Corsair or Major Brand )
    1 x Video Card ( NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 - 2GB - Single Card )
    1 x Motherboard ( ASRock B85 Pro4 -- 2x PCIe x16, 4x SATA3 6.0 Gb/s, 2x USB 3.0 )
    1 x Power Supply ( 600 Watt - Standard )
    1 x Primary Hard Drive ( 1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 32M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive )
    0 x Data Hard Drive ( None )
    1 x Optical Drive ( 24x Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive - Black )
    0 x 2nd Optical Drive ( None )
    0 x Flash Media Reader / Writer ( None )
    0 x Meter Display ( None )
    1 x Sound Card ( 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard )
    1 x Network Card ( Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100) )
    1 x Operating System ( Windows 8 + Office 2010 Trial [Free 60-Day !!!] - 64-bit )
    1 x Keyboard ( iBUYPOWER Standard Gaming Keyboard )
    1 x Mouse ( iBUYPOWER Standard Gaming Mouse - Blood Red )
    1 x Monitor ( 23" LED TV 1920x1080 -- Sceptre E243BV-FHD )
    0 x 2nd Monitor ( None )
    1 x Speaker System ( Creative Inspire T3300 2.1 Speaker System w/ stylish design and quality performance )
    1 x Wireless Network Adapter ( ASUS USB-N13 802.11b/g/n USB 2.0 300Mbps Wireless USB Adapter )
    0 x Video Camera ( None )
    1 x Advanced Build Options ( iBUYPOWER Specialized Advanced Packaging System - Protect your investment during transportation! )
    0 x Case Engraving Service ( None )
    1 x Warranty ( 3 Year Standard Warranty Service )
    Price for all this? Also theres no name for power supply and hdd, all you know they could be some chinese shit parts which could explode within a week.

Newegg also has 'Bill Me Later' and Amazon has their own credit card. I would check those out as well. Do you work in a big organization with good benefits? My employer has a computer purchase program. Up to $3,000.00 for the cost of a PC and/or parts for a PC, paid over time, interest free.

If you've got $600, how long will it realistically take you to save up another $600? $1200 is plenty of money to build a highend gaming PC, even if you need peripherals. I'm very, very anti-debt, especially when it's to buy luxury items like a PC.

I highly suggest you save up your money instead of going into debt so you can buy a toy now instead of six months from now. Believe it or not, you don't have to have it right away, regardless of what this country teaches.
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2013-08-13 at 12:42 PM.

Deleted
    The IBP build is shit, but that's mostly because the motherboard isn't an overclockable one. Non-OC board + unlocked processor is FAIL.

My suggestion? save up to around $900-1000, and buy then, even if you have to wait a month.

Finance a gaming computer

Hey folks, let me explain before people jump on my head. Awhile ago I posted on here about a 500-600 dollar budget for upgrading my PC when I got back stateside. Got a lot of good answers which I greatly appreciated. I got back two days ago, moving truck dropped everything off yesterday. I start going through boxes.... no PC. I start trippin', literally. Without going into what happened, which would take a great wall of text, I'm now looking at buying a new PC, keyboard, mouse, and monitor. Somehow my Bose speakers made it here which is a miracle.

So I'm not stupid, I know I can't buy a gaming PC for $600, especially when I need the keyboard, mouse and monitor. I hate having debt, I've always paid my debt off really fast. Example, my 5 year car loan was paid off in a little over 2 years... I hate debt. Anyways, with FFXIV on the horizon, I need a PC that can play that on the highest settings, and last me the next 2-3 years with minimal if any upgrades.

So here is my question as listed in the Title. Anyone know of any gaming PC places that also finance? Only things I've seen that finance are alienware and best buy. I've never bought a PC from either place, but as I hear all the time, those aren't great places to get a gaming PC. Any advice is welcome, thanks.
    Financing a gaming computer is easy at <snip>

They also offer pay after delivery. Great computer configurations at great prices in the US.

Sorry, this is VERY late on this thread

Infracted and thread locked due to 4 year necro. - Cilraaz
    Last edited by Cilraaz; 2017-09-08 at 03:13 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry, this is VERY late on this thread
    4 years...