Page 1 of 15
... LastLast
    Deleted

Netherlight Crucible - disappointed

So the most important feature of 7.3 is now out and simply put...

I'm bummed that this went live. It's not fun, it's more simming/calculations/etc than reforging ever was (but somehow the same reasons reforging was removed don't apply here to a major feature?). I've spent much of today explaining to friends, guildies, etc., how it works because it's unnecessarily complicated and definitely not straightforward. As a foundational character feature, it hasn't been well-explained--which might explain why so many people are confused (even after reading fansites/guides) as to how it exactly works.

It's RNG that wasn't necessary and nobody wanted. Unbelievable that after all the complaints about how they have gone overboard with RNG this expansion, they add MORE layers to it.

Nobody wants to "invest" in non-throughput traits. It's even worse when they're "forced."

I'm struggling to think of a reason to defend this feature and I can't. Perhaps it is like that on purpose? Just to stretch out that /played, right.

Yep, yet another layer of RNG.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    But one you have to leave raid to make use of! On a completely unrelated topic, why was Reforging removed from the game again?

Quote Originally Posted by Potentio View Post

I'm bummed that this went live. It's not fun, it's more simming/calculations/etc than reforging ever was (but somehow the same reasons reforging was removed don't apply here to a major feature?). I've spent much of today explaining to friends, guildies, etc., how it works because it's unnecessarily complicated and definitely not straightforward. As a foundational character feature, it hasn't been well-explained--which might explain why so many people are confused (even after reading fansites/guides) as to how it exactly works.

It's RNG that wasn't necessary and nobody wanted. Unbelievable that after all the complaints about how they have gone overboard with RNG this expansion, they add MORE layers to it.

Nobody wants to "invest" in non-throughput traits. It's even worse when they're "forced."

I'm struggling to think of a reason to defend this feature and I can't. Perhaps it is like that on purpose? Just to stretch out that /played, right.
    Pulling the lever on the slot machine keeps people addicted. This isn't even a subtle attempt to "stretch out that /played". It's a blunt, obvious one.

Its on par with the rest of the expansion. RNG everywhere and if you play at all seriously the polish wears off fast and you see the mess underneath.

Deleted
    I really dont think more RNG-based optimization is what players wanted...
    How about customization where players have the reins?
    But I guess it keeps people grinding relics like there's no tomorrow. "Content"
    Also funny how this seems to be Reforging in the most glorious state, except it is based on RNG and works on one item slot.

It will even out relics by adding the second trait. It's a good thing.

Herald of the Titans SoulSoBreezy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've spent much of today explaining to friends, guildies, etc., how it works because it's unnecessarily complicated and definitely not straightforward.
    Select the randomized traits that you think are cool. It's permanent.
    When you replace your relic, you get an opportunity to select a new random set of traits.

Tah dah

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by slickwilly View Post
    It will even out relics by adding the second trait. It's a good thing.
    Yes, that reduces the bad RNG of relics. However, it also introduces random damage/healing/shielding procs, which will need to be optimized as well - which are RNG. So now instead of "I got a 945 relic, but the effect sucks" it's "I got a 945 relic, but the first effect sucks, the second effect is okay, and the proc is great - now is that better or worse than my 935 relic where the first effect is BIS, all three second effect choices are garbage, but the proc is great?"

They reduced the RNG of relic effects by adding a second one by choice, but added an RNG proc - to ensure RNG'ness was maintained. At best, it's still as random as it was before. Like others said, it's a blunt attempt to force us to farm a billion relics until we get the perfect set.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Remember how blizzard did that whole expose on the failures of garrisons and then basically reinforced all that awful stuff with the shipyard? They did it again with 7.3

Wait.. so they're solution to the relic was problem was tripling down on what made it a problem in the first place? Sounds about right.
    "He who lives without discipline dies without honor" - Viking proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Galbrei View Post
    On a completely unrelated topic, why was Reforging removed from the game again?
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    The original intent behind Reforging was to offer a way for players to customize their gear, but in practice it offered little in the way of true choice. Players attempting to optimize every piece of gear were well advised to look up how they were supposed to reforge an item in an online guide or tool that had already determined the optimal choice. It added yet another step to the list of things that must be done to a new item before it was ready to be equipped, reducing the joy of getting an upgrade into a chore. If an upgrade drops, we want you to be able to equip it with a minimum of fuss. It is for those reasons that we're removing Reforging from the game.
    Also in response to it only being used for hit/expertise cap:

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    That was one part, but the bigger part was that it doesn't actually improve the game experience. There are still soft caps for some stats, but ultimately Reforging just didn't provide any engaging gameplay to get an item and then reforge it to whatever your best stat is based on a sim or recommendation from a website. That's not creating engaging gameplay. If the desire for Reforging is based on "I'd like to make my items better by picking the stats I want more." the simpler answer there, and the one that does create engaging gameplay and interaction with the game world and other players, is "Get better items".

10+ Year Old Account
    I have to admit, it is a pretty boring feature.. Loved the quest line leading up to it.. loved the new dungeon.. then yawned as I set up the Crucible.
    Ideally no one has ever hit the level cap of the last expansion, looked at their dungeon blues, and thought "I win."

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/ch...all/chuckabear

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree... Especially since I have like 30 relics taking up space in my bags in order for me to go through them and see which has the best stats for me to use... Not fun work.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

Technicly,it's more like 4 layers of RNG

Are the bonuses randomly generated for each relic or does each relic have its bonuses preassigned?

Quote Originally Posted by iamthedevil View Post
    Are the bonuses randomly generated for each relic or does each relic have its bonuses preassigned?
    It's random for each. It sounds like the slot machine lever is not pulled until the moment you attune with the crucible.

This is why organised raiding is killing organised raiding.
    It became clear that it wasn’t realistic to try to get the audience back to being more hardcore, as it had been in the past. -- Tom Chilton

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Sounds terrible, I'll just be using it on whatever relics have the highest ilvl. Stats and BiS traits don't get you into pugs afterall.

Quote Originally Posted by iamthedevil View Post
    Randomly generated, and you need to bind the relic to you to even know what traits a given relic will roll with.

It's a dumb as fuck system that will cause far more problem than it solves. Now nobody in pugs is going to trade relics because they may roll their best traits. Deciding what relic is best for you is now even more of a nightmarish chore because you have to sim 1) the ilvl 2) the base trait 3) the Light/Shadow powers and 4) the extra trait, not to mention we'll all eventually going to get a ring that enhances 3) so that's yet more simming to do in order to have a clear picture. So Master Loot in guilds could also become a clusterfuck as soon as a relic drops because nobody knows who will get the best randomly generated traits out of it.

The good part is that a bad relic might roll good traits and suddenly be very good, but a strong relic might also roll bad traits and thus be not worth your time. Or you may roll all the best traits on all your relics if you're filthy lucky which will be a big boost to you. And to find out, you have to hearth out and go to the Crucible for every relic you get.

It's like Reforging, but instead of choosing which stat to reforge you get a choice between two randomly selected stats. Want to turn that Crit into Haste? Sorry, you can only choose between Versa and Mastery! Isn't it fun?
    Last edited by Jastall; 2017-09-12 at 10:50 PM.