Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

Does Studying Science Kill off Fun in People?

I personally feel that it does. Studying science and math tends to weed out emotions, and fun is an emotion. I think this is why a lot of professional scientists come off as cold and unfeeling because emotion don't have much of a place in science. A lot of hardcore science people begin to forget how to have fun at all, and in the process they become almost more machine than human.

lol

What a stupid generalization. Never crossed your mind that everyone is different, and what's fun for one person isn't for another, did it? Any chance to disparage science, I suppose.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Thee what doth inceaseth in knowledge increaseth in sorrow.

Or whatever the quote was.

10+ Year Old Account
    I truly truly worry for some of the posters on here...

I just don't even know how to respond to a question so silly so I'll just say no and leave it at that.
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta ass."

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonus View Post
    I haven't found that at all.

I mean there is some truth to the fact that science people have to work harder in school because science and math are much harder than the soft majors. But when they get out of a work environment they have fun like everyone.
    I have met a few career scientists as an undergrad preparing for grad school. I can't generalize for everyone, but the physicists I met were pretty unemtional people.

Kind of feel like maybe you don't exactly mean science. There's a lot of enthusiastic scientists out there. Sometimes wisdom can lead to less motivation though, but in the end fun is a subjective thing. I swear Neil degrees Tyson is part comedian. You've probably never seen him he's one of the more popular astrophysicist in America.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Assbandit View Post
    I truly truly worry for some of the posters on here...

I just don't even know how to respond to a question so silly so I'll just say no and leave it at that.
    I ask because I can see the change in myself. I have spent the last 5-6 years studying math and physics, and it has effected me. It has altered my personality. Some for the better and some for the worse. I am a person that believes in trade offs instead believing that everything simply gets better.

I mean, you are asking whether or not we should remain stupid just because it's more fun. I am an academic and I think not, however it is an opinionated value claim that I cannot say is wright or rong.

Quote Originally Posted by nanook12 View Post
    I ask because I can see the change in myself. I have spent the last 5-6 years studying math and physics, and it has effected me. It has altered my personality. Some for the better and some for the worse. I am a person that believes in trade offs instead believing that everything simply gets better.
    You just tolerate stupidness less.

Oh you mean like when you start seeing the game? Yea, no you have to come back, and yea you will feel changed, and things will be different, but for me personally after understanding biology/physics ect. it's really all the more glorious to experience.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonecloak View Post
    Kind of feel like maybe you don't exactly mean science. There's a lot of enthusiastic scientists out there. Sometimes wisdom can lead to less motivation though, but in the end fun is a subjective thing. I swear Neil degrees Tyson is part comedian. You've probably never seen him he's one of the more popular astrophysicist in America.
    Neil Tyson is kinda a poster boy for science. From my experience the hardcore researcher guys that actually make discoveries are not lot him.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    You just tolerate stupidness less.
    No, it is not that. I suppose I am just trying to warn people thinking about entering these fields, that it will change your personality if you study it long enough. Yes, you get the opportunity to see and understand the awesome power of science, but it will probably make you a less empathetic person.

I have met a few career scientists as an undergrad preparing for grad school. I can't generalize for everyone, but the physicists I met were pretty unemtional people.
    Then you're just unlucky.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Neil Tyson is kinda a poster boy for science. From my experience the hardcore researcher guys that actually make discoveries are not lot him.
    Yes I get what you mean, but he's important to connect with the ordinary people, and makes it fun/ enthusiastic. Especially in the states, where science isn't what it used to be.

What a load of bollocks...

Can confirm. By the time I graduated from my science major I became a soulless robot that can only work.

/s in case it wasn't obvious

7+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like someone expressing a personal problem as if its a global problem.

I personally feel that it does. Studying science and math tends to weed out emotions, and fun is an emotion. I think this is why a lot of professional scientists come off as cold and unfeeling because emotion don't have much of a place in science. A lot of hardcore science people begin to forget how to have fun at all, and in the process they become almost more machine than human.
    You know what makes my science side not happy and fun?

When my MBA side is better at marketing and tells the world that vaccines are bad, the climate isn't changing, Dasani is better than tap water, nuclear plants are scary, etc.

Then my science side is like, "fuck", but it's introverted and just gets sad and angry.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    I dunno, I'm a PhD Biochemist/Molecular Biologist and I've been told I'm fun to be around when I'm in a good mood.
    Most scientists and mathematicians experience failure on a regular basis. Our jobs are all high-stress, and have experiments have high failure rates, all that jazz. It becomes difficult to manage sometimes, both mentally and emotionally. Give a scientist or mathematician a few beers, you'll see some funny funny shit.

You changed because you grew up and got older. You develope like those you spend most of your time with. If you had friends outside the field as your main social circle and they were wildly different you may have ended up completely different in personality. I'm an accountant. A lot of the accountants I've worked with are like shells of people. I'm nothing like them, but I also didn't follow traditional paths for education. I took a while and worked full time the whole time, mostly while serving, which is quit a party atmosphere. I feel balanced since I have fun friends and boring ass co workers.