Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

uber driver asks passengers to get out, angry passenger calls him racist slur

Saw this pop up in my news feed today. The highlight of the video is where the passenger becomes upset and calls the driver a racial slur. But if you ask me, quite a few things transpired beforehand that contributed to this unfolding of events.

If it was a personal favor to a friend to transport these people, I'd totally sympathize with people defending the driver. However... this is his job, he is employed. You need to demonstrate professionalism in a job - No racist remark was made before the passengers were asked to exit the vehicle. I would not defend his behavior while in the vehicle and I do not agree with his behavior after exiting the vehicle but that is after the behavior of his passenger became intolerable. I might cringe or disagree with the actions he took but would not criticize them.

I do not condone or excuse the behavior of this passenger referred to as "Nate", but I feel like the driver made it a bigger problem than it had to be by putting a personal agenda ahead of a professional one. I have no clue why this passenger entered the vehicle saying "white privilege" but it clearly triggered the driver and put him in a foul mood as he later notes the phrase when things become heated.

Here are my thoughts:

If you do not like drunk people, you probably should not drive for a company like uber. Drunk people need rides home so they do not get DUIs, kill or harm other people or cause damage to their own and other people's property. It is more convenient than a Taxi, it is an ideal service for a night out or when you are on vacation.

No, "Do you have a fuckin aux cord? Do you have an aux? Can I get the radio?" is not how you greet someone. This is incredibly embarassing and obnoxious behavior. But these are drunk college kids, what do you expect? The guy is visibly irritated and starts making remarks like he is watching him, that there is something wrong with him, asking why he is sweating so much. If you ask me he is basically suggesting the guy is on drugs and that it is making him uncomfortable but instead of saying this, he just glares at him and says he is "trying to figure out what is wrong" with him.

He seemingly puts it behind him, moves the vehicle about 40 feet and tells the guy to stop touching his stuff. Weird, but okay. He says okay. Then he immediately, like 2 seconds after, tells him he needs him to get out. From there, the video hits its highlight.

Now I don't know about any of you, but that would have been a strange car ride even if the ride concluded without further incident and I reached my destination. If it was me, presumably telling an inside joke to my friends, entering a vehicle only to see my driver glaring at me I would probably ask him what his problem was. My conversation with my friends is really none of his business - he is paid to drive from Point A to point B. Should really mind his own Ps and Qs.

The guy (Nate, the passenger) was obviously hyped up and frustrated. Once things got heated I just felt like he said it just to say it, because I can think of a lot more things to say to piss someone off than just calling them the N word over and over again. This of course does not excuse his disgusting behavior but you have to admit this whole exchange was very strange.
    Last edited by Gandrake; 2017-09-13 at 01:14 AM.

Hmmm, the video doesn't play.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Strange. it is on their front page though, labeled as "You need to choose your friends carefully"

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandrake View Post

If you do not like drunk people, you probably should not drive for a company like uber.
    shitfaced people are probably the biggest reason uber makes a profit
    We have faced trials and danger, threats to our world and our way of life. And yet, we persevere. We are the Horde. We will not let anything break our spirits!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Hmmm, the video doesn't play.
    Break requires ads available, so some ad blockers will break the video (no pun intended)
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Drunk people

10+ Year Old Account
    Which one of you got caught on camera?

@OP lol. Disrespecting someone in their car is excusable...lol.
    Last edited by PACOX; 2017-09-13 at 02:18 AM.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

If it was a personal favor to a friend to transport these people, I'd totally sympathize with people defending the driver. However... this is his job, he is employed. You need to demonstrate professionalism in a job
    Just because it's his "job" doesn't mean he has to put up with that kind of disrespect.

As for professionalism... when you have unruly customers...you ask them to leave. That's being professional.
    Last edited by Egomaniac; 2017-09-13 at 02:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xandrigity View Post
    Drunk people

I don't think "drunk" is really a good enough excuse. You have to be a piece of shit first and being drunk just makes you more your piece shit self.

The guy in the middle of the video who said to the black guy just called a nigger "your'e a racist bro" reminds me of half the people on this forum....
    Last edited by Themius; 2017-09-13 at 02:59 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    Which one of you got caught on camera?

@OP lol. Disrespecting someone in their car is excusable...lol.
    he was not exactly what i would call mannerly but i would not say he was intentionally being disrespectful

well, not until he was asked to get out anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    Just because it's his "job" doesn't mean he has to put up with that kind of disrespect.

As for professionalism... when you have unruly customers...you ask them to leave. That's being professional.
    if you aren't willing to deal with what occurred here (before everyone was asked to get out) calmly and it irritates you enough to glare at your customers and make snide remarks towards them then you really have to wonder if you even want your job. i think the way the driver reacted to this situation is ridiculous lol. The guy comes in saying white privilege, asks him if he has aux or if he can get the radio, gets interrogated and glared at, touches the stereo head panel or the guy's CD collection and he loses it and tells everyone to get out.

that does not add up to me at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    I don't think "drunk" is really a good enough excuse. You have to be a piece of shit first and being drunk just makes you more your piece shit self.

The guy in the middle of the video who said to the black guy just called a nigger "your'e a racist bro" reminds me of half the people on this forum....
    Well I never excused the passenger for his behavior, but I certainly do not approve of the driver's behavior either. He took it upon himself to be offended by something that was none of his business and as a result of pushing a personal interest in the mystery context of this "white privilege statement" treated his passengers with disrespect and conducted himself poorly.

He may not have spewed racist rhetoric, but it's like they say; it takes two to tango.
    Last edited by Gandrake; 2017-09-13 at 02:45 PM.

but it's like they say; it takes two to tango.
    Great, victim-blaming. Let me guess, "he had the racist slurs coming", right? He was "asking for it", right?

Deleted
    The drivers fine. That kids a cunt. Your defense of it is mental.

Quote Originally Posted by ctd123 View Post
    The drivers fine. That kids a cunt. Your defense of it is mental.
    Your defense of racism is mental!

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, if you glared at someone and told them there was something wrong with them, would you think it extraordinary or out of the blue if they responded by telling you to go fuck yourself?

I'm just saying.

Deleted
    Taxi drivers suffering arseholes - NEWS @ 10

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by McTroll View Post
    Your defense of racism is mental!
    There are good guys on both sides.

Well, if you glared at someone and told them there was something wrong with them, would you think it extraordinary or out of the blue if they responded by telling you to go fuck yourself?

I'm just saying.
    he got in saying white privlege over and over... said "you got a fucking aux cord" and he looks like he is on drugs... and then he calls him a nigger when he's like time to go

- - - Updated - - -

he was not exactly what i would call mannerly but i would not say he was intentionally being disrespectful

well, not until he was asked to get out anyway

if you aren't willing to deal with what occurred here (before everyone was asked to get out) calmly and it irritates you enough to glare at your customers and make snide remarks towards them then you really have to wonder if you even want your job. i think the way the driver reacted to this situation is ridiculous lol. The guy comes in saying white privilege, asks him if he has aux or if he can get the radio, gets interrogated and glared at, touches the stereo head panel or the guy's CD collection and he loses it and tells everyone to get out.

that does not add up to me at all.

Well I never excused the passenger for his behavior, but I certainly do not approve of the driver's behavior either. He took it upon himself to be offended by something that was none of his business and as a result of pushing a personal interest in the mystery context of this "white privilege statement" treated his passengers with disrespect and conducted himself poorly.

He may not have spewed racist rhetoric, but it's like they say; it takes two to tango.
    That probably the dumbest thing I could have thought of to be said about this video ..

"he took it upon himself to be offended by something that wasn't his business" what wasn't? Did we watch the same video after going on about white privilege he literally said "do you have a fucking aux cord." like he started the confrontation right there. The driver asks if he is alright because maybe he doesn't want a fucking druggie piece of shit in his car who is going to act up.

He starts touching stuff and the driver asks him to stop. Why are you trying to hard to excuse the racist pos?

Quote Originally Posted by ctd123 View Post
    There are good guys on both sides.
    I rest my case!

Deleted

I'm just saying.
    Transcript that video. The kid is acting like a twat while the cabbie is chill. Starts off with 'fucking aux cable'. The cabbies clearly picked up on hes drunk and might spew 'are you sure hes ok'. The kids battered you can pick that up from the way hes talking. The they guy starts acting a cunt and the driver feels unsafe so he boots them. Which is fair and he was obviously right when the kid kicks off.

Deleted
    He said "White privilege" disconnected from everthing else they were saying, seemingly random. I don't blame the driver for thinking it meant that it was the white passengers privilege to be driven around by a black man.