Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Needs more cheerleaders, try harder.
    How were the most popular girls and cheerleaders in your school? Did they like slime monsters? SCR :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram View Post
    How were the most popular girls and cheerleaders in your school? Did they like slime monsters? SCR :P
    Trashy ho's mostly.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by CmdrShep2154 View Post
    Who are these normal people? Office workers? Construction workers? Politicians?
    Everyone has their own idea about what normal is. I guess maybe it's more about what you consider being 'average' person is.

In this case, I guess we're considering whether or not an average adult plays video games and loves sci-fi. Or maybe it's more about the specific people in question. If someone doesn't like sci-fi and doesn't play video games, do they also have the jobs and education of a "normal, average person".

Imho, I think it doesn't matter. You mentioned a "judgemental office guy", I think that person will likely remain the same person. If they have reasons that make sense, for not enjoying something that you enjoy, then that's completely fine, and they just don't like it. If their reasons are bullshit, and they're just being ignorant and/or haters, they will keep being what they are, because they either enjoy thrashing something they don't like, or simply not give a shit about the subject.

Point is, I think you're probably not gonna change anyone's minds, and that's my answer to your original question.

What the fuck is this thread? What do YOU define as a "normal" person?

Can non sci fi fans and culture snobs enjoy a space opera?
    Yes. Why do you think sci-fi is as big as it is? Have you never heard of the biggest spare operas of all time(star wars and star trek), and their massive appeal to a vast majority of people?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    liberalism is a right wing idealogy.

Can normal people enjoy a hamburger?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

Have we grown so cynical that we think a Star Trek style future is ridiculous?

Last edited by CmdrShep2154; 2017-10-03 at 01:48 AM.

I need 'normal people' defined first.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoughtful Trolli View Post
    No one can enjoy a space opera because it's become impossible to have one.

You can't have lightsabers and you can't have magic powers without getting ass raped by disney. It's over. It's the end of life.

Now, if you're doubting me, just read the next sentence and realize disney is evil.

Imagine any opera in existence, any opera or play or theatrical purveyance, where it's impossible to use a sword on stage, or to suggest mystical powers.

There are none. done and done. The sick evil rises from the fact that basic items were patented just because they were declared not basic by theme. Imagine if someone patented the air you're breathing and then ass raped you to death by taking it all. I think that's literally the plot of the goofy movie?

everyone's dead gg.

I mean I guess Bruce Willis worked with Fifth Element, but that's because they used Guns which can't be patented thanks to America's Strength. If there's going to be any space opera, it will have to severely revolve around guns.

We definitely have to push gun ownership and NRA memberships harder, support gun enthusiasts and gun rights, if we ever want to see a space opera again.

Because the alternative is to stop disney, and that's impossible.

they should get Nicolas Cage and do a Lord of War thing in space, where you get to see the phlebonium charge cell go through the manufactory until it finally puts a beam into some sentient's forehead.

EDIT AGAIN: puts a *white laser* beam into some sentient's forehead, trademarked as some kind of canon devilry that the audience can obsess about, with obvious variants being introduced at plot points.
    What the hell are you blathering on about? Why the fuck do you think a space opera has to have magic and swords?!?

ANYWAY, in response to the original poster, there's tons of space opera films and TV series, and quite a few of them are/were popular with "normal people." There's at least five shows that aired this year alone, though none of them have been real blockbusters in terms of popularity. However, Star Trek the Next Generation, for example, was one of the most popular syndicated shows of all time. And the Fifth Element can be found on tons and tons of people's list of most favorite movies. Oh, and then there's this little franchise called Star Wars that no one's ever heard of...
    "There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through out political and culture life, nutured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" —Isaac Asimov

Herald of the Titans Putin-Chan's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    No, le space opera is too complicated for my tiny normie brain. Ree at me as you wish, I deserve it.
    You could have the world in the palm of your hands
    You still might drop it

10+ Year Old Account
    Why did you ask a meaningless question? Normal is a subjective term, so the question itself is entirely pointless without you first defining what you characterize as "normal". Ask a better question next time, or more clearly define the terms of your question (preferably do both).
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, Star Wars is considered a Space Opera, and it is enjoyed by a lot of people, so yes?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Radaney View Post
    Im normal, everyone else is not. Definition given.

Quote Originally Posted by Radaney View Post
    People who look like Rampage Jackson or Freddie Prinze Jr.
    Last edited by CmdrShep2154; 2017-10-03 at 07:11 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Male Shepard is sooooo gay.

So is female Shepard though, in my games. *chuckle*

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    As soon as you add opera to it I'm out I don't like musicals sorry.

Impossible, as SF, futuristic setting does not match the primitive plots and characters. Normal people like SF, which poses the new questions and provoke thought, they don't like dressing the old junk in new skin.

WTF is a "normal" person?

One of the most popular film, video game and book franchises is a space opera. So yes. Obviously.

This seems a supremely foolish question.

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends...

... I don't know the exact parameters on how to classify a normal person.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

How has no one mentioned the original space opera (at least to me as a kid of the 80s) in book form?

https://www.thriftbooks.com/series/robotech/40068/

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    How has no one mentioned the original space opera (at least to me as a kid of the 80s) in book form?

https://www.thriftbooks.com/series/robotech/40068/

The genres are ill-defined and fuzzy around the edges, but with Robotech's lack of focus on space travel and interstellar relations, along with the heavy focus on weaponry and hardware, I'd say it fit more neatly into military-scifi than space-opera.