Quote Originally Posted by breslin View Post
    Mexicans and other Hispanics are 50%, Asians are 25%. That’s only legal immigrants that we know and process which isn’t painting a real picture of the immigration system

https://www.pewresearch.org/hispanic...-s-immigrants/

Keep crying about the white supremacy hoax, I’m sure you’ll make some likeminded friends on this cesspool forum
    That is what Cuccinelli and I was discussing. You are the making crap up with your 90%.

You are disingenuous, ill informed with facts and by judging from your post history, we know which side you are on.

Think I'll add you to ignore list.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

MARKETS DOWN 3% i am hoping for a recession, because you know what the hardest hit states will be? states that voted for trump, and i hope dems arent stupid and do a bailout of 1.5 million jobs just for michigans to spit on their face because of social issues

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    So, not only is Steve King a racist, but he's also in favor of rape and incest. Fantastic. You sure know how to pick them, Republicans.
    Well, if it weren't for inbreeding, we wouldn't be electing Steve King to office.

https://chicagocrusader.com/did-you-...t-immigration/

Your entire basis is wrong, you clearly haven’t researched US history because you have 0 idea what the background of the Statue of Liberty and the poem are.

So you can try to act all high and mighty but you’re arguing from a place of ignorance
    Did you read the article?

“One of the first meanings (of the statue) had to do with abolition, but it’s a meaning that didn’t stick.
    And the poem wasn't specifically about slavery, as already discussed.

10+ Year Old Account
    When can we expect a blog post to support the completely fabricated immigration statistics?
    /s

Cuccinelli has long been one of the worst Americans there is. The guy is just a snake. So much of a snake that even Moscow Mitch has been trying to kill his career for years. Wanna know why he is in his current job? Because Trump was going to nominate him to be head of the DHS and Moscow Mitch said in so many words "only if you want to see his nomination go down in flames, 2-98".

Cuccinelli was previously head of the Senate Conservatives Fund, which was formed by former Senator Jim DeMint (R-SC), another piece of work. Senate Conservatives Fund spent years trying to primary elected republicans from the radical right, and even tried to get Moscow Mitch removed as majority leader.

Cuccinelli is basically what the Talibanization of the American right looks like.

Quote Originally Posted by Shon237 View Post
    That is what Cuccinelli and I was discussing. You are the making crap up with your 90%.

You are disingenuous, ill informed with facts and by judging from your post history, we know which side you are on.

Think I'll add you to ignore list.
    Thanks, not having to interact with you is a blessing

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Did you read the article?

And the poem wasn't specifically about slavery, as already discussed.

The meaning of a poem doesn’t change, regardless of how many ignorant yahoos try to hijack it

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    The meaning of a poem doesn’t change, regardless of how many ignorant yahoos try to hijack it
    The statue didn't even have the poem added until years after it was assembled, and the meaning of the poem has always been about immigration. And you want to talk about yahoos...

And the poem, which wasn't mentioned in that article at all, was added decades after the statue itself and is 100% about immigration. In light of that, I'll let the implications of the rest of your sentence speak for themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Nurasu View Post
    The statue didn't even have the poem added until years after it was assembled, and the meaning of the poem has always been about immigration. And you want to talk about yahoos...
    The statue literally has bondage chains, it’s always been an abolitionist art piece

Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Basing your country's immigration policy off of the plaque on a statue is Stupidity 101.
    No, I prefer basing them off principles and economics.

Our principles are one of welcoming those with no where else to go. Those escaping war and famine and desperation. Those looking for a fresh start and a new life. America is the land of second chances. Those in already good shape don't need second chances.

Our economics say, quite simply, we need to grow our work force to sustain current and projected levels of spending, grow our economy and pay for past liabilities. Americans living here now are not having enough children to do that on their own. Our population growth rate would be at European levels if it weren't for Latinos. America has gone from a place where people had 4 kids, to 2 kids to one kid, maybe, in about 70 years. We need to grow our work force. By growing our work force, we grow our taxpayer base and our consumer base. That grows our economy and allows for us to pay our bills.

And I just want to put out there, on both sides of my family - my Italian family that came here in the 19th century and my Latin American family that came here after World War II - they came here with nothing. On the Latin American side, they were escaping a civil war. And here we are sixty years later, and to be blunt my uncle, my father, my two cousins and I are almost certainly wealthier and pay a lot more taxes than most of ya'll.

Without the likes of me, the MAGA rural hicks would be utterly screwed. To put it in Trump parlance: they don't pay their way. My family more than does, and our last name is not algicized.'

For its own economic wellfare and to be consistent with its principles, this country must allow anyone who wants to be an American the opportunity to do so. Becoming an American citizen should be as easy as signing up for a gmail account. We have the room. We have the need. What we have too much of, unfortunately, is bullshit excuses by a tiny and fading segment of racist White people about why we can't.

Quote Originally Posted by Nurasu View Post

The poem was written 3 years before the statue existed

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    No, I prefer basing them off principles and economics.

Our principles are one of welcoming those with no where else to go. Those escaping war and famine and desperation. Those looking for a fresh start and a new life. America is the land of second chances. Those in already good shape don't need second chances.

Our economics say, quite simply, we need to grow our work force to sustain current and projected levels of spending, grow our economy and pay for past liabilities. Americans living here now are not having enough children to do that on their own. Our population growth rate would be at European levels if it weren't for Latinos. America has gone from a place where people had 4 kids, to 2 kids to one kid, maybe, in about 70 years. We need to grow our work force. By growing our work force, we grow our taxpayer base and our consumer base. That grows our economy and allows for us to pay our bills.

And I just want to put out there, on both sides of my family - my Italian family that came here in the 19th century and my Latin American family that came here after World War II - they came here with nothing. On the Latin American side, they were escaping a civil war. And here we are sixty years later, and to be blunt my uncle, my father, my two cousins and I are almost certainly wealthier and pay a lot more taxes than most of ya'll.

Without the likes of me, the MAGA rural hicks would be utterly screwed. To put it in Trump parlance: they don't pay their way. My family more than does, and our last name is not algicized.'

For its own economic wellfare and to be consistent with its principles, this country must allow anyone who wants to be an American the opportunity to do so. Becoming an American citizen should be as easy as signing up for a gmail account. We have the room. We have the need. What we have too much of, unfortunately, is bullshit excuses by a tiny and fading segment of racist White people about why we can't.
    Quite frankly this country would be better without you, feel free to take your money and holier than thou attitude back to your own people

Except nothing you've linked discussed what the original intent of the poem was, including the link I was responding to. But since you're a fan of historians, let's look at what a historian who is the director of the organization with the original handwritten poem.

“To see how something so expressive of the country’s greatest ideals, to see how it could be so contorted or distorted, is really, I think dismay is the only word,” said historian Annie Polland, the executive director of the American Jewish Historical Society in New York, adding that she was “not surprised because we’ve been hearing these sentiments more than we have in the past.”
    According to Polland, Lazarus originally wrote the poem for an 1883 auction raising money for the statue’s pedestal.
    “It was Emma and ‘The New Colossus’ that gave it its identity as a beacon of immigration,” Polland said.
    Polland argued that the poem “is as much about who America or what America should be, as it is about immigrants,” she said, pointing to Lazarus’ words themselves. “In many ways, America defines itself by how it’s welcoming immigrants, in contrast to Europe.”

For example, she noted that Lazarus refers to Europe when writing: “Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!” — with “storied pomp” referring to Europe’s “made-up notions of some kind of grandeur and that they’re above everything,” Polland said.
    “When Emma Lazarus wrote that poem, she knew that not all Americans agreed with her,” she said. “So in a way, looking back on that poem and seeing how someone could write so beautifully about this ideal, even at a time that it was challenged, I think, gives us hope.”
    https://www.huffpost.com/entry/emma-...b05fa9df05b62b

- - - Updated - - -

Quite frankly this country would be better without you, feel free to take your money and holier than thou attitude back to your own people
    These are my people, champ. My family fought in World War II. My family participated in project Apollo. My family made scientific discoveries. My family created businesses that have had international success.

And personally? I went New England prep schools that Republican Presidents went to. Culturally, I'm basically a WASP. And my holier than though attitude? That's because we're morally superior to you and we know it.

Allow me to show you where to shove your dreams of America being a white homeland. America is a multiracial, multicultural nation and a sanctuary for all peoples of all origins and all means. And we always will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Except nothing you've linked discussed what the original intent of the poem was, including the link I was responding to. But since you're a fan of historians, let's look at what a historian who is the director of the organization with the original handwritten poem.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/emma-...b05fa9df05b62b
    As I stated and linked to the person on ignore, the poem was not given its due until 20 years after her death in 1903 with a plaque. Between 1880 up to 1920 was our greatest years for immigration.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

Oh I just want to drive a point home.
    @breslin

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    "His People" are Americans. This is as much his country to be in as it is yours and flippantly telling him to 'leave' because you don't like his opinions is ignorant at best. But good job derailing the thread with your shitposting, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    Oh I just want to drive a point home.
    @breslin
    They make the country erect??? Lol, sorry, couldn't help it.

I support your point, there has been a wealth of great contributions to the USA from immigrants, it is both sad and worrying to hear the language being used by some to describe them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelannerai View Post

Remember, legally no one sane takes Tucker Carlson seriously.

- - - Updated - - -

What do you have against upper-middle class conservatives? Or is it conservative values that you hate so much?

10+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

"Your own people" - ah, showing the true colors. Weren't you the guy rationalizing the manifest of the shooter?