Quote Originally Posted by kaelleria View Post
    So here's the thing...

There's virtually no proof it actually helps... Only a very small group of people reported improved outcomes (20~ patients) in a very non clinical setting. On top of that, the drug itself is known to be fatal in moderate overdoses. Moderate as in 1 gram, 2x a day.

Trump was a moron to hold this up as a game changer as it will probably end up getting people killed.
    Your're thinking about Chloroquine, i think. As far as i know, that drug has more side effects that the other one.

It seems that SK, China and Belgium are using it as part of their treatment guidelines.
    Again. I really hope that this shit works. I really really do. But i know that this thing may well be a dud. And we dont have the benefit of 6 months (not even 6 weeks) of expanded testing. It's a shitty situation. All we can do is hope for the best, and stay at home.

https://www.businessinsider.com/mala...eatment-2020-3
    Last edited by Thepersona; 2020-03-20 at 07:47 PM.
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

10+ Year Old Account
    So here's the thing...

There's virtually no proof it actually helps... Only a very small group of people reported improved outcomes (20~ patients) in a very non clinical setting. On top of that, the drug itself is known to be fatal in moderate overdoses. Moderate as in 1 gram, 2x a day.

Trump was a moron to hold this up as a game changer as it will probably end up getting people killed.

- - - Updated - - -

COVID19 is gets really bad 8-10 days after people get admitted to the hospital. We're still about 4-5 days out from the shit hitting the fan.
    To be fair, Hydroxychloroquine would be a game changer is used like that. The game would change from "The outdoors is lava" to "Corpse tetris"
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Trump said "The mortality rate has been low for the amount of cases we have..."
    I find myself in the uncomfortable position of agreeing with him...
    If by that he means pretty much in line with the predicted mortality rates which should be pretty terrifying if this really takes hold into a major part of the population then sure. If this was say the seasonal flu than for the people known effected we should be seeing maybe low teens deaths in the US and we are already in the hundreds.

10+ Year Old Account
    Trump said "The mortality rate has been low for the amount of cases we have..."
    I find myself in the uncomfortable position of agreeing with him...
    The more you post in this style, the more to me it comes across as constantly reassuring yourself that everything is fine.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you're not even out the first week yet it is estimated that we are looking at 10 weeks of this.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thepersona View Post
    There has been some positive news on that front. It seems that the drug may work, if coupled with the antibiotic to curb symptoms and kill the fucking virus (as in, the thing that actually kills you may be a sepsis caused by bacteria, alongside a cytokine storm. I'm not a doctor, so take what i say with a massive grain of salt).
    More work is needed and it seems that drug companies are willing and able to test this as fast as possible. If it's useful, expect a massive ramping of that drug production.

Problem is, we dont have months/years of time for testing. At most we have a few weeks, so this shit must be done pronto. At the very least, Hydroxychloroquine (i dunno if i spelled it right) is an old drug, so the side effects are known.
    Let us assume you are right even in that case, giving hope without proof when you are the person in charge of the situation is never how you should handle it.
    This will lead to desperate people taking desperate measures and some let's hope not might get killed.

His desperation to make himself looks good is taking priority over actually informing the public.

COVID19 is gets really bad 8-10 days after people get admitted to the hospital. We're still about 4-5 days out from the shit hitting the fan.
    That's the point though...most people don't need the hospital.
    Even more so...most people aren't getting tested.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    The more you post in this style, the more to me it comes across as constantly reassuring yourself that everything is fine.
    Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you're not even out the first week yet it is estimated that we are looking at 10 weeks of this.
    I'm pretty sure that it's not the first week.
    But no one can say because no one got tested weeks earlier.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's the point though...most people don't need the hospital.
    Even more so...most people aren't getting tested.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm pretty sure that it's not the first week.
    But no one can say because no one got tested weeks earlier.
    Most people didn't need the hospital in Italy until the late escalation phase of the virus either.

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    Reporter: "What do you say to Americans who are scared?"
    Trump: "I'd say you're a terrible reporter!"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIwMCGJspmc

Here is the video of him saying this. Fuck Trump, and his supporters.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    Most people didn't need the hospital in Italy until the late escalation phase of the virus either.
    I guess we'll see what happens in a week or so...

I guess we'll see what happens in a week or so...
    I think how impactful this will be will seriously depend on where in the country you live. Even in italy northern italy was heavily impacted while the south was not that bad. So its probably going to be a matter of how wide spread the hotspots really are and what their hospital capacity is. If we do things right then it shouldn't be a problem we should be able to stretch things out long enough to not overwhelm capacity. But given our slow reaction to this its probably more likely that some areas go the route of northern italy while others remain mostly uneffected.

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post

Let us assume you are right even in that case, giving hope without proof when you are the person in charge of the situation is never how you should handle it.
    This will lead to desperate people taking desperate measures and some let's hope not might get killed.

His desperation to make himself looks good is taking priority over actually informing the public.
    And i agree with you 100%.
    Even if Hydroxychloroquine is a useful drug for this (and that remains to be seen, even with the promising preliminary results), trying to say "Eh, everything is all right, look, we have this wonder drug that will save us all" is extremely irresponsible.
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

Quote Originally Posted by Orbitus View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIwMCGJspmc

Here is the video of him saying this. Fuck Trump, and his supporters.
    Found this on the YouTube comments:

Husband: "Honey, how are you doing today?"
    Wife: "That's a nasty question. You are a terrible person."

All the resident had to do was act like a decent human being and act PRESIDENTIAL for 30 seconds and he can't even do that.
    Looking for <Good Quotes for Signature>.

10+ Year Old Account
    How dare you ask me questions meant to provoke empathy and reassurance! I'm Donald fucking Trump!
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    That's not his job approval, just his approval on the coronavirus situation.
    Unusually High, more then likely will be temporary as it most likely spiked because people heard he may be giving away free money.
    A Fetus is not a person under the 14th amendment.

Christians are Forced Birth Fascists against Human Rights who indoctrinate and groom children. Prove me wrong.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    This is what gets me. Trump proves that he's a fucking idiot, because anybody with any sense would have hit that out of the park.

Q - "What do you tell Americans who are scared right now?"
    A - "I'd tell them that their government is here for them when they need it. We have the best and bigliest minds working overtime on this crisis, and the full weight of this administration will be brought to bear on ensuring that all Americans have the very best healthcare that can be provided when it's needed."

Easy peasy.

But what we got was: "I'd tell them that you're a terrible reporter, and that's a nasty question. Comcast? I call you guys CON-cast!"

For actual fuck's sake.
    Jesus christ - is that what he actually said?!?!?

https://apnews.com/432a37435f28015e8b45eeff710cd254

Does hydroxychloroquine work for coronavirus?

Fauci: No, the answer is no. We have no clinical trials that indicate this.

Trump: We just have no way of knowing, but it could be! We'll see!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thepersona View Post
    And i agree with you 100%.
    Even if Hydroxychloroquine is a useful drug for this (and that remains to be seen, even with the promising preliminary results), trying to say "Eh, everything is all right, look, we have this wonder drug that will save us all" is extremely irresponsible.
    Yep, and that's all that reporter was trying to do. People are going to buy it and use it because they trust a know scam artist over the press.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Yep, and that's just one of the many outbursts and going completely off script for the world to see and show just how grandpa lost his temper.

Comedians if they can still laugh with this have gotten so much material to work with.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, yes it is.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Not only is that what he actually said, that's only a small portion of what he actually said. He went off on a big rant, and then when another reporter asked if it was appropriate to rant against a journalist during this time, Trump went on another rant about how it's absolutely called for.

Later in the press conference, when Mike Pence took the stage, the same reporter asked the same question and Pence delivered a very appropriate response about the importance of hope and optimism and how we shouldn't be scared, but we should be vigilant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    Not only is that what he actually said, that's only a small portion of what he actually said. He went off on a big rant, and then when another reporter asked if it was appropriate to rant against a journalist during this time, Trump went on another rant about how it's absolutely called for.
    Yeah, actually, the full first quote was:

Peter Alexander: What do you say to Americans who are scared though? I guess, nearly two hundred dead, fourteen thousand who are sick, millions, as you witnessed, who are scared right now. What do you say to Americans who are watching you right now who are scared?

Trump: I'd say that you're a terrible reporter, that's what I'd say. I think it's a very nasty question, and I think it's a bad signal that you're putting out to the American people. The American people are looking for answers and they're looking for hope, and you're doing sensationalism and the same with NBC and Con-cast; i don't call it... I don't call it Comcast, I call it Con-cast, for whom you work. Let me tell you something: that's really bad reporting. And you ought to get back to reporting, instead of sensationalism. Let's see if it works. It might, and it might not. I happen to feel good about it, but who knows. I've been right a lot. Let's see what happens. You ought to be ashamed of yourself.
    So yeah, I condensed his response a teensy bit.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post

Later in the press conference, when Mike Pence took the stage, the same reporter asked the same question and Pence delivered a very appropriate response about the importance of hope and optimism and how we shouldn't be scared, but we should be vigilant.
    And this is why we should have President Mike Pence right now. And we could have had it, just two months ago we were one senate vote away from it. It isn't that Mike Pence would be a good President, it is that he is a fucking adult that knows better then throw a temper tantrum in the middle of a major crisis.