Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    No, that's just what you Trumpsters will try and sell. Nobody with half a brain will buy the bullshit.

I know you hate the Democrats, even though you tried to pretend to be one, but this is just sad on your part.
    Well half the brain people do watch Fox News or an equivalent. This narrative will work and sadly it has become hyper partisan.

The scary and worst part is this is supposedly how we got Trump by people saying government didn't function and we need a "not a politician" in office. It's weird that hyper partisanship shits on one party. Let's say if the narrative above was true but the Dems were punished for not the government working when the other party runs on making sure the government doesn't work.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    So Axios has a rundown of Pelosi's relief bill.

As you can see, a lot of the objections raised to McConnell's shell bill are covered. Republicans are probably going to point out gaps. I look forward to seeing what those are.

Click the link if you want to see the actual bill's text.
    Yeah, I wish it was a "clean" bill. For instance looking at what you posted the carbon offset, $60 billion into school funding. I'm not getting how this helps for coronovirus. Yes, if we are getting into the whole "you negotiate everything" that is fine but the public perception part that McConnell can hit back on.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

I'm totally flummoxed how anyone can think the leadership of Trump has been good in any way. This press conference today was a total shitshow. Fauci was conspicuously absent. One of the most bizarre ideas is ramping things up because the "cure can't be worse than the problem."

This is dangerous rhetoric. It will lead directly to more people dying, which the conservative right seems to accept as "necessary to keep the economy going." The party of howling at made-up death panels now wants to sacrifice, ironically, their OWN POLITICAL BASE, to keep the economy "going." The party of pro-life is now putting money ahead of life when they decry the single women who have to make that decision daily and choose to get an abortion (not that abortion is ghoulish, like what they're proposing).

Dems were accused last night of politicking by rejecting the Republican slush fund bill last night when they gave it to them 40 minutes before the vote. Now Republicans are ACTUALLY politicking because they don't want to give up political concessions to keep people afloat. They're doing this for re-election.

What's totally unforgivable about this situation is the idea that we can't weather this shutdown. Our economy has been built into a reckless, careening vehicle by these selfsame Republicans, with little to no social safety nets. Things that should be easy and are happening readily across Europe are points of political contention by the conservatives in this country: suspending rent, taxes, providing subsidies, extending paid sick leave, having universal health care (and thus not worrying about bankrupting their citizens for treatment), issuing public mandates with civil and criminal penalties for disobedience, and so on, and so forth. We can't survive this economic meltdown because Republicans have set up the economy to not survive it. It is built on worker exploitation and the enrichment of the wealthy, corporate class. We can survive it - if we have a raft of public safety nets implemented.

But Republicans know that that runs counter to everything they believe it, and now are promoting a reckless, dangerous idea simply so they don't have to admit they're wrong: that government exists for *this very purpose,* and has a useful, necessary function, and it should be much more expansive, in this country.

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    Is this normal for a bill to include so many points? It sounds almost like an economic 'plan' of my country. I can get why those points should be in but should it not just be about the corona virus not about air pollution and eduction? Does that not make it all the more harder to get it passed? Is this done to get things passed they want because it is a crisis? Is this done because elections are coming up?
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Pelosi is an expert negotiator. I would hazard a guess that those items are in there just to be removed, so "bargaining" and "compromise" can happen.
    Okay I wrote my reply and then read your two posts. Again, unseasy on the points mentioned by Acidbaron. Yes, if this is a negotiating you need items you can bargain with, but will this hold in the public battle.

Would a clean bill vs McConnell's bill be better?
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    Well half the brain people do watch Fox News or an equivalent. This narrative will work and sadly it has become hyper partisan.

The scary and worst part is this is supposedly how we got Trump by people saying government didn't function and we need a "not a politician" in office. It's weird that hyper partisanship shits on one party. Let's say if the narrative above was true but the Dems were punished for not the government working when the other party runs on making sure the government doesn't work.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, I wish it was a "clean" bill. For instance looking at what you posted the carbon offset, $60 billion into school funding. I'm not getting how this helps for coronovirus. Yes, if we are getting into the whole "you negotiate everything" that is fine but the public perception part that McConnell can hit back on.
    The school funding part is because schools are literally providing 2 meals a day for millions of students across the country despite being closed down. And will be, for the foreseeable future. The carbon offset is admittedly probably a big fuck you to airlines for asking for a bailout, by requiring them to have better environmental controls in exchange for their bailout.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    The school funding part is because schools are literally providing 2 meals a day for millions of students across the country despite being closed down. And will be, for the foreseeable future. The carbon offset is admittedly probably a big fuck you to airlines for asking for a bailout, by requiring them to have better environmental controls in exchange for their bailout.
    I say the more we can do to make the airlines miserable in exchange for a bailout is a fair trade considering the airlines are in such dire straits because of their own shortsighted decisions. The airline industry as a whole spent like 96% of its cash on stock buybacks to inflate stock prices rather than reinvesting it in the company or saving it for emergencies.
    "If you are ever asking yourself 'Is Trump lying or is he stupid?', the answer is most likely C: All of the Above" - Seth Meyers

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Okay I wrote my reply and then read your two posts. Again, unseasy on the points mentioned by Acidbaron. Yes, if this is a negotiating you need items you can bargain with, but will this hold in the public battle.

No, there is going to be some horsetrading regardless, and now that the GOP Senate and House are ramped up behind ignorance and hatred (as usual), they are going to want concessions to any bill that comes there way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    No, there is going to be some horsetrading regardless, and now that the GOP Senate and House are ramped up behind ignorance and hatred (as usual), they are going to want concessions to any bill that comes there way.
    Guaranteed they target that part about making early voting and no-excuse absentee voting a thing. Republicans get their dicks hard over voter suppression, and there's no way they're going to be OK with something that makes it easier for the populace to vote against them.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    If the Democrats want to seriously capitalize on this moment, the best way now is point out that Trump and a lot of establishment GOP, and a lot of Wall Street financiers and other similar ghoulish creatures have argued that the stock market and money is more valuable than your lives.

While the Democrats might not be able to sway voters to vote Democrat, rescinding ones vote from Trump should at least help their chances and that is IMHO a way more potent message than anything else. He went from "Lets give every American 1k in Trumpbux" to "It's a nothingburger, China did a good job, and Get Back to Work" in an instant. If the Democrats can't capitalize on this its a lack of will.

Now if ever, is the time to deliver a deathblow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    Guaranteed they target that part about making early voting and no-excuse absentee voting a thing. Republicans get their dicks hard over voter suppression, and there's no way they're going to be OK with something that makes it easier for the populace to vote against them.
    Lol, good point.

We'll see how that plays out. It's entirely possible the Senate Dems were waiting for something worth passing all the while knowing Pelsoi was getting her own bill finalized. Bring the two versions to mark-up and get it done.

Quote Originally Posted by Resurgo View Post
    .... how much veracity does this article have?

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020...production-act
    It is Vanity Fair, knowing them, they are pretty accurate when it comes to reporting. Wouldn't be surprised if the manufacturers are doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by Orbitus View Post
    It is Vanity Fair, knowing them, they are pretty accurate when it comes to reporting. Wouldn't be surprised if the manufacturers are doing that.

Can’t say I’m terribly surprised, but hey, profits before lives eh? -.-

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020...production-act
    Seems well researched. I would think it's pretty solid.

There are no "good solutions" for Pelosi. This accomplished a few things though.

It gave democrats something to vote FOR as opposed to just being against the republican bill. It reminds Americans of all the things that are not being done, much of which really needs to be done. It has substance, so it is something that will generate interest and get people to notice, at least a little.

The democrats just had an impeachment that turned into a huge success for Trump, and a democratic primary that also ended up being a huge success for Trump. So far, Trump's handling of the coronavirus has improved his approval rating by a couple of points. His supporters are more committed to him than ever before.

Just being against a $500 billion dollar slush fund that Trump can use as he desires is not an effective governing strategy. The democrats would cement their reputation as the "against everything but for nothing" party. Trump would get his slush fund, and effectively use it to finance a republican electoral landslide in November. The cost of this for the US is that the economy would deteriorate and the virus in the US would successfully multiply and prosper.

Regardless of the comments on MMOC, right now Trump is on a roll. He is more popular than ever before, and the democrats have been severely weakened. Pelosi took this opportunity to state what democrats are for. Either that or McDonnell becomes the Tower of Power that heroically thwarted the democratic attempts to be the against everything but for nothing party.
    Last edited by Omega10; 2020-03-24 at 02:21 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's the New York Times, so, 99.5%.

- - - Updated - - -

Presented without further comment. Other than the source is CNN, so, you know this won't be good for the rabid fanbase.

A Phoenix-area man is dead and his wife is under critical care after the two took chloroquine phosphate in an apparent attempt to self-medicate for the novel coronavirus, according to hospital system Banner Health.

Chloroquine has been touted by President Donald Trump as a possible treatment for Covid-19, but it's also "an additive commonly used at aquariums to clean fish tanks," Banner Health said in a statement. Chloroquine is approved by the Food and Drug Administration for treating malaria, lupus and rheumatoid arthritis. But the FDA has not approved it to treat the coronavirus.

Banner Health experts emphasized that the medication -- as well as other "inappropriate medications and household products" -- "should not be ingested to treat or prevent this virus."

"Given the uncertainty around COVID-19, we understand that people are trying to find new ways to prevent or treat this virus," Dr. Daniel Brooks, Banner Poison and Drug Information Center medical director, said in the statement. "But self-medicating is not the way to do so."

Banner Health, which is based in Arizona, didn't give any details on how the couple, both in their 60s, acquired the chloroquine or which Banner hospital treated them.

However, according to the statement, "within thirty minutes of ingestion, the couple experienced immediate effects requiring admittance to a nearby Banner Health hospital."

Trump has called chloroquine, and the closely-related hydroxychloroquine, potential game changers in the fight against Covid-19.

"HYDROXYCHLOROQUINE & AZITHROMYCIN, taken together, have a real chance to be one of the biggest game changers in the history of medicine," he tweeted Saturday.

Some early research suggests the drug could be useful against the virus. However, Trump's comments have prompted health officials to warn that further study is needed.

Dr. Anthony Fauci, the nation's top infectious disease expert, has said the drugs may be effective against the novel coronavirus. However, he told CBS' Margaret Brennan on Sunday that Trump had heard about the hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin combination's effectiveness from anecdotal reports.

"I...have said I'm not disagreeing with the fact anecdotally they might work, but my job is to prove definitively from a scientific standpoint that they do work," Fauci, who serves on the White House coronavirus task force, said.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    It's the New York Times, so, 99.5%.
    One of the most mind-boggling aspects of the coronavirus crisis in America is the fact that one of the wealthiest countries in the world doesn’t have the basic medical supplies necessary to deal with the situation. In addition to a lack of beds, hospitals across the nation have nowhere near the number of ventilators and masks doctors require to both do their jobs and protect themselves. While governors have pleaded with Donald Trump to help them obtain such equipment, he’s literally told them they’re on their own, seemingly forgetting the fact that he’s the one with the power here. For instance, Andrew Cuomo can’t invoke the Defense Production Act, which allows the federal government to take some control of the private sector to ensure production of materials relevant to national defense, but Trump can. And yet he’s chosen not to. Why? Because corporate CEOs don’t like the idea, and the president is more concerned with keeping big business happy than keeping Americans alive.

Yes, according to the New York Times, the U.S. Chamber of Commerce and heads of major corporations have “lobbied the administration against using the act,” arguing that it could impose “red tape” on companies at a time when they need the government out of their hair. Unsurprisingly, free market die-hard Larry Kudlow, i.e., Trump’s never-right National Economic Council director, was “persuaded” by such arguments, as was Trump’s not-very-bright son-in-law, Jared Kushner. Instead the Trump Brain Trust has insisted that it can just convince businesses to help bridge the shortfall of vital medical supplies without making a formal demand, an initiative that thus far has had predictable results:
    The US has had MORE than enough time to prepare for the virus. We just refused to do it. How can there still be an insufficient quantity of test kits and masks??? And right now Trump, enthusiastically supported by about half the country, is embracing a "don't let the cure be worse than the problem" campaign to assure that we continue to not prepare. The refusal of American corporations to produce sufficient medical equipment is just a small part of the US response to the virus.

I don't even know where to put this, but it's amazing.

https://twitter.com/DailyCaller/stat...65225929375744

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega10 View Post
    There are no "good solutions" for Pelosi. This accomplished a few things though.

It gave democrats something to vote FOR as opposed to just being against the republican bill. It reminds Americans of all the things that are not being done, much of which really needs to be done. It has substance, so it is something that will generate interest and get people to notice, at least a little.

The democrats just had an impeachment that turned into a huge success for Trump, and a democratic primary that also ended up being a huge success for Trump. So far, Trump's handling of the coronavirus has improved his approval rating by a couple of points. His supporters are more committed to him than ever before.

Just being against a $500 billion dollar slush fund that Trump can use as he desires is not an effective governing strategy. The democrats would cement their reputation as the "against everything but for nothing" party. Trump would get his slush fund, and effectively use it to finance a republican electoral landslide in November. The cost of this for the US is that the economy would deteriorate and the virus in the US would successfully multiply and prosper.

Regardless of the comments on MMOC, right now Trump is on a roll. He is more popular than ever before, and the democrats have been severely weakened. Pelosi took this opportunity to state what democrats are for. Either that or McDonnell becomes the Tower of Power that heroically thwarted the democratic attempts to be the against everything but for nothing party.
    I don't know how you can say that really, not about what Pelosi did but rather how Trump somehow is on a "roll". They did some things early on that managed to buy them time during February but then they completely squandered that time to buy into some fiction that the virus was no big deal.

Clearly it was a fairly big deal, and while sure Americans might be supportive of what Trump is doing right now once the bodies start pilling up I think things will change quite rapidly. If Trump has his way the lockdown would be lifted, but if you do that you're looking at millions of people dead, the entire healthcare system pulverized and the economy, for which the orange imbecile is willing to sacrifice so many lives for, absolutely demolished.

Can it get into people's thick heads that TRYING TO SAVE THE ECONOMY BY LIFTING THE LOCKDOWN WILL NOT WORK?!

I'm yelling that because it's pure rank madness to try what Trump is saying as the business sector and right wingers are telling him.
    "Life is one long series of problems to solve. The more you solve, the better a man you become.... Tribulations spawn in life and over and over again we must stand our ground and face them."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    I don't even know where to put this
    Put it in the nearest trash can, along with everything else from that site.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    I don't even know where to put this, but it's amazing.

https://twitter.com/DailyCaller/stat...65225929375744
    In the trash where it belongs.