10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xenogear3 View Post
    $1200 for two months is not enough.
    It's supposed to be on top of your income, or unemployment, and you should be getting one or the other.

Are you saying that $600 a month extra isn't enough to cover your extra expenses? I'm not picking a side here, I just need clarity.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ts/5143384002/

"We've got to open this economy," the Louisiana Republican told Fox News host Tucker Carlson. "If we don't, it's going to collapse. And if the U.S. economy collapses, the world economy collapses."

"When we end the shutdown, the virus is going to spread faster," Kennedy acknowledged. "That's just a fact. And the American people understand that."
    Sorry, Americans. But many of you (us) will have to die so that Republicans can have a good economy for the next election. It's a sacrifice they're welling to allow us to make.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    It's supposed to be on top of your income, or unemployment, and you should be getting one or the other.

Are you saying that $600 a month extra isn't enough to cover your extra expenses? I'm not picking a side here, I just need clarity.
    I think it is $600 per week extra.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post

Sorry, Americans. But many of you (us) will have to die so that Republicans can have a good economy for the next election. It's a sacrifice they're welling to allow us to make.
    It's not just bad news for the US but also for the rest of the world especially when paired with the statement that the federal government does not see the nation for nation wide testing.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post

Two months is not enough.
    I don't think companies will start hiring as soon as the lockdown is lift.
    Some analysts predict the unemployment rate drop to 8% at the end of this year. Don't think so.

$1200 forever is ok, but $5000 forever is better.
    Hopefully, that bill will pass.
    Last edited by xenogear3; 2020-04-16 at 06:57 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    America First! Except when Putin asks, then America First but Russia Firster.

Why is Trump placing more value on Russian lives than the lives of Americans?
    Russian interference can almost guarantee an election win? Especially when they not securing voting machines.

That's my best guess.

10+ Year Old Account
    Moloch hungers.
    /s

To be fair, many local governments are rapidly going broke. It's a coin toss as to which services will have to shut down soon.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    To be fair, many local governments are rapidly going broke. It's a coin toss as to which services will have to shut down soon.
    In what states?

10+ Year Old Account
    Two months is not enough.
    Between your original post and this one, my employer, New York State, just emailed. The stay-at-home is now extended to May 15th, which will be two months. So you're at least half right: it could easily go longer than two months.

I don't think companies will start hiring as soon as the lockdown is lift.
    Neither do I. Right now, companies are trying to figure out how many of the people they fired they will need back. Some companies have decided, or will decide, "zero, we give up". I suspect that's mostly smaller businesses and maybe some larger ones in retail, travel, and/or hospitality. But others will have discovered just how effected a reduced staff can be. And it's not like sales will magically rebound to previous amounts overnight, either. Especially if, indeed, a bunch of people aren't rehired.

Some analysts predict the unemployment rate drop to 8% at the end of this year. Don't think so.
    I don't remember seeing eight percent, and I looked around. I remember seeing tens to twelves. In other words, I think a lot of experts agree with you.

$1200 forever is ok, but $5000 forever is better.
    And this answers the question I was asking. Maybe I'm not the best example for America, but, my expenses are actually down. And I have great health insurance. I don't really need this $1,200 but I will be spending it at local businesses because they do. I don't think I'd need an extra $5,000 even if I got deathly ill (again, great health insurance).

Also, it would cost $780 billion to give each taxpayer $5,000 once. Oh, I'm not objecting. I'm a Democrat, I believe the government's role is to spend taxes to help and protect its people. It's why I don't complain about tolls, airport fees, or gasoline taxes. But then, I'm not a Rep or Senator. And I think you'll find people whose opinions actually matter balk -- you've already seen me, today, post how McConnell is trying to weasel out of helping with PPP and hospitals a third of that.

Of course, right now, me having a steady salaried job with good health care and the ability to anti-social-distancing (that was ME who got that sweet noscope headshot Mister NoHandsCandy111, you spawn-camping bastard, play of the game and in your face *teabag teabag teabag*) doesn't really make me the target audience. If, for example, I had a wife and two kids and just got fired, the four of us are going to need some health insurance. Or maybe some rent checks. Or, if it looks that bad, the money to move to where a new job will be, if my employer said "Sorry, I can't stay in business, and I don't see how I can re-open either". So maybe $5,000 is really called for. I personally don't need it, but I'm not going to object with my experience over people who do.

Why would I? We have the GOP for that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Say Shadowferal, do you know how Medicaid payments work?

And also, how to you feel about leading questoins?

Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post
    Trump is hoarding medical supplies for .. Putin?
    Trump , the same guy withholding ventilators from govenors.
    "I think Russia is going to need ventilators. They're having a hard time in Moscow. We're going to help them."

Explains all those recent phone calls with Putin.
    Explains Helsinki 2018 as well.
    What's the source on this? I don't keep asking you because I doubt it, I'm asking because I like to have material to back up my claims if I repeat this later.
    ...Preferably not from Inquirer-esque sites like Daily Mail.

----------------

Hey Siri, can you give me an example of a "Doctor" semi-advocating for the death of people to save the economy?

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1...872189952?s=20

...Well, thanks, I guess.
    Last edited by Benggaul; 2020-04-16 at 07:43 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    What's the source on this? I don't keep asking you because I doubt it, I'm asking because I like to have material to back up my claims if I repeat this later.
    Does the White House official transcript work for you?

With all of that being said, we’re going to start with states and with governors that have done a great job. And they’re going to open it up as they see fit. And we’re going to be right behind them. And we’re — we’re going to be working. We’re going to be supplying them with things if they don’t have them. We want them to have them.

We’re going to be helping them with ventilators after this is over so that they can’t say, “Oh, the federal government…” We want them to have — they’ve had a lot of options. Many of the governors have had a lot of options, over the years, to buy ventilators. They didn’t choose to do it. So we’re going to be helping them to fill up their stockpiles. We’re going to have plenty. And as I said, I’m very proud to do it.

We’re going to be helping other nations. We’re going to be helping Italy, Spain, France, other nations. And we’re going to be helping them strongly. I think Russia is going to need ventilators. They’re having a hard time in Moscow. We’re going to help them. We’re going to help other countries that need ventilators.

We’re going to have a lot. You see it with General Motors. You see it with other companies that are producing. We’re going to have hundreds of thousands of ventilators. And it’s a great thing to have.
    To be fair, the context isn't exactly what it was implied to be.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    Its was on CNN and the NYT.

Here the Pittsburgh Post GAzette

MOSCOW — The Kremlin says Russia will gratefully accept U.S. President Donald Trump’s offer to provide ventilators for coronavirus patients.
    Trump said Wednesday the U.S. was ready to send ventilators to Russia, saying “they’re having a hard time in Moscow. We’re going to help them.” He added the U.S. also stands ready to provide ventilators to other countries, including Italy, Spain and France.
    President Vladimir Putin’s spokesman Dmitry Peskov hailed Trump’s offer as “very positive,” saying in Thursday’s call with reporters that “Russia will certainly accept the kind offer if necessary.”

Russia has registered 27,938 coronavirus cases and 232 deaths. Officials have scrambled to secure ventilators and other essential supplies amid an exponential growth in infections.

Sorry about the context! I dont have room to post three weeks of transcripts of Trump withholding them from Governors. Muh bad.
    Government Affiliated Snark

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post

In a US where the Feds weren't shafting local governments on PPE by either hoarding them, seizing them, or refusing to acknowledge they need them; I'd say this sentiment would almost be entirely normal for any president to make during a pandemic like this.

But since we /are/ in a US where Trump's refusing to help state governments - or actively making things worse - then the sentiment rings hollow because either:
    A: He has enough Ventilators to spare, and is just refusing to distribute them to high population areas that needed them weeks ago. Or
    B: He doesn't have enough Ventilators, and is just making empty promises in hopes words alone are enough to boost his approval ratings. Again.

Neither options is redeeming.

Sorry about the context! I dont have room to post three weeks of transcripts of Trump withholding them from Governors. Muh bad.
    Thank you kindly. Like I said, it's not that I don't believe you; I just like to have good sources to back this up rather than "something I read on a forum". I meant no offense.

MOSCOW — The Kremlin says Russia will gratefully accept U.S. President Donald Trump’s offer to provide ventilators for coronavirus patients.
    Trump said Wednesday the U.S. was ready to send ventilators to Russia, saying “they’re having a hard time in Moscow. We’re going to help them.” He added the U.S. also stands ready to provide ventilators to other countries, including Italy, Spain and France.
    President Vladimir Putin’s spokesman Dmitry Peskov hailed Trump’s offer as “very positive,” saying in Thursday’s call with reporters that “Russia will certainly accept the kind offer if necessary.”

Russia has registered 27,938 coronavirus cases and 232 deaths. Officials have scrambled to secure ventilators and other essential supplies amid an exponential growth in infections.

Or even better, lets compare how Trump responds to Russians suffering in a crisis, with how Trump responds to the suffering of US CITIZENS that live in Puerto Rico during a crisis. Hmm. Wouldn't you expect a US President to treat his own people better than foreigners? More importantly, wouldn't the kind of people that vote for Trump expect that?

Any of our resident Trumpster Fire posters care to weigh in on that one?
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

I still don't understand how stupid a person can get.
    The idea that getting back to the office and opening shops to soon to reduce economical fallout is at best stupid and at worst retarded.
    An stable society is needed for an stable economy and personally I don't think that US has reached the lowpoint yet with New York maybe the exception.

The US has to many cases and not enough test to try to force this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    I still don't understand how stupid a person can get. The idea that getting back to the office and opening shops to soon to reduce economical fallout is at best stupid and at worst retarded. An stable society is needed for an stable economy and personally I don't think that US has reached the lowpoint yet with New York maybe the exception.
    The US has to many cases and not enough test to try to force this issue.
    How many government services are going to get cut because local townships have run out of money to fund them?

That's not what this article states:
    I read it completely different on all the financial sites, but I might be wrong (wouldn't be the first time) ....I don't see anything on the IRS site that really clarifies it unless you are not getting a payment till you file your 2020.

The way the law is written, the stimulus checks are actually just advanced payments of a new refundable tax credit for the 2020 tax year. The IRS hasn't said yet exactly how it will treat stimulus payments that are more than the 2020 tax credit amount. (If the check is less than the authorized credit, you'll get the difference when you file your 2020 return.) The IRS is authorized to issue regulations or guidance "deemed appropriate to avoid allowing multiple credits or rebates to a taxpayer."

But there's also language in the law allowing the stimulus checks that suggests there won't be any paybacks.

Again, if we had to guess, we don't think the IRS will require a payback. Nevertheless, we'll keep an eye out for IRS guidance addressing this situation, so check back later.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!