https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...rotests-309932

Long story short: National Guard men and women don't seem particularly thrilled to have been activated, with many speaking out on and off the record against what they saw and how they're working to differentiate themselves from local law enforcement who are the primary target of protesters frustrations and anger.

They know that people don't want them. They know they're a sign of escalation. And many don't want to be there.

Also, many straight up call out the White House for lying about Lafayette Square.

Not only do they confirm that protests were peaceful, but they also confirm that yes, "tear gas" was used.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    National Guard men and women don't seem particularly thrilled to have been activated
    As a military officer, what I saw was more or less really f---ed up
    That's the quote of the year, right there.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    That's the quote of the year, right there.
    When some of the people actually trained to go to war, if need be, are appalled by the behavior of the people whose job it is to enforce the law domestically during peacetime, there might be a fucking problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    While it's great that she's taken the lead... why is that lead so damn small? What in the hell is wrong with Kentucky? Have they just not been paying attention to... anything?

You'd think that "distinguished air force colonel runs against decrepit turtle-person" would be a more clear-cut thing.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

114,148 deaths, 1,093 reported on the 9th (GMT). The good news is that total includes the correction from the weekend, so the real daily total is likely under 1k. If so we can probably expect to be under 1k most days this week barring more spikes.

Even as the South and Midwest see their totals rising (California isn't exempt from that, posting their third-highest new cases total; Texas and Florida continue to see upward trends) it seems they generally keep decreasing in the states that were hardest hit at the start of this wave. New York is reporting under 1k new cases for the first time since mid-March and given that they had nearly a quarter of all cases reported throughout the entirety of this thing that's pretty damned good.

Oh, I should have mentioned this several days ago but the US passed 2 million confirmed cases. "It's one guy coming in from China..."

ACTIVE cases went up again, but it seems like it's fluctuating a bit the past week or so. I said last week I'd like another week of data to see how it's heading, so I'll hold off until Friday to give my thoughts on how I see it going.

No doubt the protests of the past couple weeks will probably have an effect in the weeks ahead, but as I mentioned before most of the people protesting appear to be wearing masks of some sort. That isn't foolproof protection as we know, but it should go a long way towards keeping another mass outbreak from happening (as well as demonstrating how level-headed and responsible these protesters are compared to the braindead animals who stormed into government buildings armed--and mask-less--because they couldn't get a haircut).

And now, given that the elections in Georgia have been a complete shambles--particularly in areas where minorities vote--I expect we'll have even more protests for various reasons in the days ahead. It's going to be a daily struggle in this TRUMP SHITSHOW as we claw our way towards November.

Stay safe, folks.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    While it's great that she's taken the lead... why is that lead so damn small? What in the hell is wrong with Kentucky? Have they just not been paying attention to... anything?

You'd think that "distinguished air force colonel runs against decrepit turtle-person" would be a more clear-cut thing.
    Having done some research on it, it seems that most Republicans don't like her because she's a Democrat and most progressives don't like her because she 1) says she wants to work with Trump and 2) isn't Charles Booker, who is also running and therefore splitting the vote currently.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yawn.

But a Reuters examination of federal court records related to the charges, social media posts by some of the suspects and interviews with defense lawyers and prosecutors found mostly disorganized acts of violence by people who have few obvious connections to antifa or other left-wing groups.

Reuters reviewed only federal cases, both because of the allegations by the Justice Department about the involvement of antifa and similar groups, and since federal charges generally carry harsher penalties. In some of the charging documentsreviewed by Reuters, no violent acts are alleged at all.

The Department of Justice declined to comment on Reuters’ findings and referred to an interview that Barr gave to Fox News on Monday. He said there that while his department had some investigations under way into antifa, it was still in the “initial phase of identifying people.”

While Barr and President Donald Trump have repeatedly singled out antifa, an amorphous movement of primarily leftist anti-authoritarians (the name is derived from “anti-fascist”), as a major instigator of the unrest, the term does not appear in any of the federal charging documents reviewed by Reuters. It is possible that more evidence could emerge as the cases progress.

Only one group was called out by name in a federal complaint: the so-called boogaloo movement, whose followers, according to prosecutors, believe in an impending civil war.

Hate group experts say boogaloo’s followers are largely an assortment of right-wing extremists. Prosecutors alleged three men affiliated with “the movement” plotted to set off explosives in Las Vegas in the hopes of touching off rioting before a protest.
    If Trump wants to shift the blame to ANTIFA he's going to have to try harder than this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    Having done some research on it, it seems that most Republicans don't like her because she's a Democrat and most progressives don't like her because she 1) says she wants to work with Trump and 2) isn't Charles Booker, who is also running and therefore splitting the vote currently.
    Hopefully the plea to "work with Trump" is 1) just a ploy to engender herself to Republican voters and/or far more preferably 2) wont be necessary come November.

Regardless of where she lands on a progressive scale, removing McConnell from his entrenched position would do a great deal to break up the encrusted barnacle cluster that is the republican party's leadership within congress.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

There is a bit of evidence that Booker could also do well against McConnell, that's how unpopular McConnell is right now. He's obviously the Bernie candidate, endorsed both by Sanders and AOC.

Trump visits the coronavirus swab production line in Maine, without a mask, and the manufacturer says it will now have to throw away the day’s output. https://t.co/gq1lo4LD9t
    https://twitter.com/yarotrof/status/...87725569?s=19q

Is this an episode of Veep? My goodness.

So this company is one of two who makes PPP. Now the company was doing a limited run since Trump was visiting. So they threw out all the swabs and wasn't full production that day.

Idk if this was posted but the biggest pile of a shitshow.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    Idk if this was posted but the biggest pile of a shitshow.
    The picture is worth a 1000 words:

Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    caption contest!

"I don't reckon much to these toothpicks"
    "I know you never had to wear a mask for Halloween Mr President but that was only because you're so damned ugly."
    "I don't reckon much to this new golf club."
    "Price check for one single cotton bud please."

Quote Originally Posted by rayvio View Post
    caption contest!

"I don't reckon much to these toothpicks"
    "I know you never had to wear a mask for Halloween Mr President but that was only because you're so damned ugly."
    "I don't reckon much to this new golf club."
    "Price check for one single cotton bud please."
    I'm gonna steal John Oliver's joke and go with "It's small and white, like all my girlfriends when they were kids."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Maybe he is testing if they are real by biting them, like how one might test gold coins.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

10+ Year Old Account
    caption contest!
    All I’m thinking is... ‘would you like a chocolate pretzel?’ from mall rats... I do like the guy on the right... he has that... ‘shit, what is he going to do now. I better lean back...’ look on his face.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    Maybe he is testing if they are real by biting them, like how one might test gold coins.
    I’m pretty sure he is sticking them in his nose, to see how it feels to be tested. Basically... don’t leave forks around Trump and electrical outlets.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

caption contest!
    Uh, let me get in on that.

"Smells kinda funky."
    "Is it edible?"
    "So I am just supposed to ram it up my nose?"
    "Maybe if I breathe hard enough, the corona will stick to it. Long range miracle cure, MAGA!"

caption contest!
    Will I be able to snort twice as much Adderall?
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

15+ Year Old Account
    caption contest!
    I wonder in whose ear this was?
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    And so, President Trump went further and further to the right, as his last bastion became OANN.

Wasn't there a thing about Trump/his companies buying into OANN?
    Not that I know of.

And man, for a guy who says he so busy, he sure spends a lot of time on social media complaining about what he's watching on TV.

10+ Year Old Account
    "They said the test tickles your brain, but I don't feel nuthin'."

Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    And so, President Trump went further and further to the right, as his last bastion became OANN.

Wasn't there a thing about Trump/his companies buying into OANN?
    One of those "N"s stands for "Nazi", right?