10+ Year Old Account
    Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord, he is trampling out the vintage where the grapes of wrath are stored...

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) — Protesters tore down a statue of Confederate President Jefferson Davis along Richmond, Virginia’s famed Monument Avenue on Wednesday night.

The statue in the former capital of the Confederacy was toppled shortly before 11 p.m., news outlets reported.

Richmond police were on the scene and videos on social media showed the monument being towed away as a crowd cheered.

About 80 miles (130 kilometers) away, protesters in Portsmouth beheaded and then pulled down four statues that were part of a Confederate monument on Wednesday, according to media outlets.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    "Richmond police were on the scene"
    I picture them saying "Oh no, whatever can we do, please stop, help" in a complete monotone while leaning against their cars.

Also, only 39% of Americans think that the country is going in the right direction, according to a Gallup poll that Trump hasn't threatened yet. It was 45% in February.

"Oh yeah? What about Republicans?"

Oh, gosh golly, am I embarrassed. The 39% was Republicans. However did I make that mistake. For all Americans, it's 20%. Yes, it fell from 45% to 20% in four months. And this is the lowest it's been since Trump was elected.

"Oh yeah? Well it's clearly all these protests!"

There was a question about that, 19% did say it was race relations. That's the highest since 1968. Yes: Trump has personally overseen the highest rate of racial tension since 1968.

Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    I picture them saying "Oh no, whatever can we do, please stop, help" in a complete monotone while leaning against their cars.

Also, only 39% of Americans think that the country is going in the right direction, according to a Gallup poll that Trump hasn't threatened yet. It was 45% in February.

"Oh yeah? What about Republicans?"

Oh, gosh golly, am I embarrassed. The 39% was Republicans. However did I make that mistake. For all Americans, it's 20%. Yes, it fell from 45% to 20% in four months. And this is the lowest it's been since Trump was elected.

"Oh yeah? Well it's clearly all these protests!"

There was a question about that, 19% did say it was race relations. That's the highest since 1968. Yes: Trump has personally overseen the highest rate of racial tension since 1968.
    Welp, that finally puts rest to the "Obama inflamed race relations worse than they've ever been" talking point we've been hearing from certain people.

I can't hold all this winning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    ...wow. I'm legitimately surprised to see the first Republican in three years actually do their job and act as the Legislative co-equal check on the Executive.

Grassley was not a total piece of shit today. Good job, Grassley.
    Maybe, but he has no spine. I fully expect him to put up a token effort, fold at the first opportunity, and then point to himself as an honest arbiter of the facts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mattper.../#15ecba50225c
    wow

The rally will also take place on Juneteenth, a day commemorating the end of slavery in the U.S., and around two weeks removed from the 99th anniversary of the Tulsa race massacre, when a white mob destroyed the prospering "Black Wall Street" neighborhood of Greenwood and killed as many as 300 black people."

Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    Deaths, on the other hand, appear to be leveling off nationally. It seems to be leveling off at just under 1k per day, so that's not great, but at least we never hit those 3k numbers that were posited by the experts. It seems that either we've gotten better at protecting those most vulnerable or the strained healthcare system has found enough breathing room as the curve leveled out that they don't have to decide who lives and who dies anymore.
    I'd wait on this. Texas is setting new daily highs for hospitalizations this week, which means it's not just wider testing catching mild cases, and Arizona is running out of ICU beds which is pretty bad since Arizona has a fairly old population (although probably less so during the summer). Deaths seem to lag behind those numbers a few weeks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Better yet, isn't it just so convenient that the few people of color in the picture just happen to have desks closest to the camera.

"Look at my African-American" in photo form.
    Did anyone else here a record scratch then the frame froze?

See their brown friend in the front row? Find "Disinterested white guy in jeans" on the far left side of the pic, look in front of him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Nellise View Post
    I'd wait on this. Texas is setting new daily highs for hospitalizations this week, which means it's not just wider testing catching mild cases, and Arizona is running out of ICU beds which is pretty bad since Arizona has a fairly old population (although probably less so during the summer). Deaths seem to lag behind those numbers a few weeks.
    Oh I know; I've been keeping an eye on it. Although it's not usually a lag of a few weeks but more like 5-10 days since the new case is recorded, mainly because people don't go to get tested unless they develop noticeable symptoms--and at that point it's usually pretty bad. As I've been saying every day, Texas has been trending up for weeks in terms of new cases, though the daily death total still seems to stay fairly low. Given that Texas governor Abbott is moving ahead with plans to let virtually all businesses keep expanding capacity by the end of this week, however, I expect it to balloon up there soonish.

The main reason I don't expect it to get as bad as it had been before is population density. About a quarter of the cases and deaths in the US have come from New York where people are stacked on top of each other. There are some dense cities in Texas and Arizona (take that however you will), but I don't think any really approach the enormity of NYC. NYC alone was adding around 500-700 deaths to the total every day shortly after the start of the breakout. I don't think we're going to see those numbers anywhere else.

I'm hopeful we won't, at least.

A QAnon believer is poised to win the GOP nomination in a heavily Republican district, meaning QAnon will likely soon be in Congress. https://t.co/dMTO9naFYA
    https://twitter.com/willsommer/statu...601831937?s=19

This is today's GOP.

We had a QAnon win primary in Oregon I believe? This one is from Georgia.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    https://twitter.com/willsommer/statu...601831937?s=19

This is today's GOP.

We had a QAnon win primary in Oregon I believe? This one is from Georgia.
    When you can’t deal with reality where you are wrong, you invent a new reality.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by arandomuser View Post
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/mattper.../#15ecba50225c
    wow

The rally will also take place on Juneteenth, a day commemorating the end of slavery in the U.S., and around two weeks removed from the 99th anniversary of the Tulsa race massacre, when a white mob destroyed the prospering "Black Wall Street" neighborhood of Greenwood and killed as many as 300 black people."
    Shall we make this extra juicy?

Wity the Confederate flag and statutue controversy in the news, will his campaign ban confederate flags from rallies?
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    Shall we make this extra juicy?

Wity the Confederate flag and statutue controversy in the news, will his campaign ban confederate flags from rallies?
    Are you kidding me he will probably have Confederate flags handed out like door prizes.

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Our great National Guard Troops who took care of the area around the White House could hardly believe how easy it was. “A walk in the park”, one said. The protesters, agitators, anarchists (ANTIFA), and others, were handled VERY easily by the Guard, D.C. Police, & S.S. GREAT JOB!
    Umm... I don't think Donald Trump understands why people were calling the Secret Service "The S.S". Apparently he thought it was just a super convenient little acronym. Or equally likely he understands exactly why they were doing it, and loved the idea.

Oh and the rest of it is horrifying too, yada yada yada, Trump needed to say something appalling so he could be back on the news. I just find it funny/disturbing that apparently S.S. is the word we are going to use for these guys now.

Quote Originally Posted by pathora44 View Post
    Are you kidding me he will probably have Confederate flags handed out like door prizes.
    I think there will be a bigger chance that he replaces half the Stars and Stripes that usually litters his rallies, with Confederate flags to show his "support and respect" to said flag

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    It’s weird that gassing peaceful protesters in a park is a walk in the park...
    Yeah, well it does somewhat undermine the core message. Either they were violent and dangerous, or they were easily dispersed and it was very easy. It is also confusing why it is a GREAT JOB! if it was very easy.

This is basically just kicking a puppy, and bragging about how little the puppy fought back, and what a bitch that puppy was when it went flying.

Quote Originally Posted by Odinfrost View Post
    I think there will be a bigger chance that he replaces half the Stars and Stripes that usually litters his rallies, with Confederate flags to show his "support and respect" to said flag
    Oh man, can you imagine the optics, of a trump rally, FILLED with confederate flags in the crowd? I sure hope we can see that!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by solinari6 View Post
    Oh man, can you imagine the optics, of a trump rally, FILLED with confederate flags in the crowd? I sure hope we can see that!
    I hope you could see them over the sea of large white pointy hats.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thekri View Post
    Yeah, well it does somewhat undermine the core message. Either they were violent and dangerous, or they were easily dispersed and it was very easy. It is also confusing why it is a GREAT JOB! if it was very easy.

This is basically just kicking a puppy, and bragging about how little the puppy fought back, and what a bitch that puppy was when it went flying.
    We are living in Schrödingers world, everything is both super easy and very hard at all times and never.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    We are living in Schrödingers world, everything is both super easy and very hard at all times and never.
    So after rereading the tweet, I think neither "the S.S." nor "Walk in the Park" are the point of that tweet. What he is actually doing is deliberately dragging the National Guard and D.C. Police into the situation, when neither seem to have been actively involved in that particular situation. While the Guard was present, I haven't seen anything about them actually clearing the square, and the DC Police just weren't there. The clearing seems to have been done by the S.S, the Brown Shirts (Park Police), and unidentified goons. The guard and DC police have been quite vocal in their disapproval of what happened, and Trump is tying them to it out of vindictiveness.