10+ Year Old Account
    Wasn't sure if putting this here or in the I Can't Breathe thread was more appropriate. But this doesn't surprise me in the least...especially considering the recent police actions.

The International Union of Police Associations endorsed President Donald Trump’s 2020 re-election campaign Monday, saying he has done more for law enforcement in the past two and a half years than former President Barack Obama had done in eight.

https://www.courthousenews.com/polic...ction-in-2020/

Yes I realize the article is from 2019 but it brings things into perspective when protesters are continuously made out to be in the wrong while folks like Rittenhouse and police driving through crowds of people are somehow acceptable.
    Last edited by Captain N; 2020-09-04 at 05:18 PM.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Quote Originally Posted by arandomuser View Post
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...mn/5706859002/

its so weird all of the "america first nationalist" seem to have disdain for our military institutions and call them the "deep state"
    For those who didn't click on the link, this is Trump shutting down "Stars and Stripes". Their last issue will be the September issue.

This isn't like a major policy thing. America is not going to be fundamentally weakened by its loss. This is just a petty, vindictive, pointless action that harms deployed service members, and only them.

Stars and Stripes has been around since 1861, publishing every single month since then. It is the militaries "Local newspaper", talking about a host of issues related to US military bases (Their investigative journalism into base housing has been great, and has forced major changes to improve living conditions), military deployments, and other issues people don't care about unless they or their spouse is in the military. Stars and Stripes is funded by the DoD, but is completely seperate from them in oversight. Jealously guarding their independence has been a military tradition from the beginning. A lot of what they report on is calling out DoD leadership for their shitty behavior. They are usually the first ones to run stories about Generals sexually assaulting their staff, or the military hiding the health benefits of some chemical. The are the fifth estate for the military.

Trump is shutting them down because... well he doesn't have a reason. He just hates journalism. And apparently the Troops. I am not going to pretend Stars and Stripes is important to the Soldier every day. Most soldiers don't read it (Military Spouses absolutely do though). However, Stars and Stripes is also usually the only source of outside news that reaches you on remote bases. It gets tucked into the outbound supplies on every drop. Then people read it a lot, and it is very important when you haven't heard about the outside world in months.

Quote Originally Posted by Thekri View Post
    Trump is shutting them down because... well he doesn't have a reason. He just hates journalism. And apparently the Troops. I am not going to pretend Stars and Stripes is important to the Soldier every day. Most soldiers don't read it (Military Spouses absolutely do though). However, Stars and Stripes is also usually the only source of outside news that reaches you on remote bases. It gets tucked into the outbound supplies on every drop. Then people read it a lot, and it is very important when you haven't heard about the outside world in months.
    Sometimes, often times, it's the small things that are far more indicative of a person and their priorities than the big this. This is very much one of those small things, as you say. It's not a big ticket item and a great, great many folks outside of the military likely don't even know it exists.

But it's one of those small things that doesn't cost much in the overall scheme of things, but does a lot of good for some in the military and their families, while providing pretty solid journalism to go alongside it.

This is just a petty, vindictive, pointless action that harms deployed service members, and only them.
    Plus those journalists doing good work for the magazine. I couldn't put it any better, and it speaks to his priorities. Raging pandemic, civil unrest at home, a campaign to run, and what is his administration looking at? Cutting a tiny part of the Pentagon budget, so small that I doubt it's even a rounding error, to kill a program that is purely aimed at providing a service to active duty soldiers, their families, and any veterans/civilians that care to keep up.

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Plus those journalists doing good work for the magazine. I couldn't put it any better, and it speaks to his priorities. Raging pandemic, civil unrest at home, a campaign to run, and what is his administration looking at? Cutting a tiny part of the Pentagon budget, so small that I doubt it's even a rounding error, to kill a program that is purely aimed at providing a service to active duty soldiers, their families, and any veterans/civilians that care to keep up.
    Yeah, they have very good journalists there. The other group this hurts is actually military spouses, who often read it religiously. The reason is because it is a free newspaper. They have stacks of them for free in all the on base shopping place (I don't know if they do home delivery, I never lived on base).

So my FRG was always sending me articles from it of various things they were concerned about. As a Commander, it was annoying, but that is exactly why it is important. It forced me to address issues I would not have otherwise taken care of. Lots of issues related to commissary privileges for relatives, ID card problems for dependents, and other issues that just wouldn't be on my radar. This is not sexy stuff, it is the boring mundane problems of military families on a day to day basis, but it is really important for them. And there isn't a replacement. Things like the Army Times are owned by private companies, you have to buy that it you want to read it. (Not knocking Army Times, Air Force Times, etc. They are fine, but they aren't free)

Yeah, they have very good journalists there. The other group this hurts is actually military spouses, who often read it religiously. The reason is because it is a free newspaper. They have stacks of them for free in all the on base shopping place (I don't know if they do home delivery, I never lived on base).

So my FRG was always sending me articles from it of various things they were concerned about. As a Commander, it was annoying, but that is exactly why it is important. It forced me to address issues I would not have otherwise taken care of. Lots of issues related to commissary privileges for relatives, ID card problems for dependents, and other issues that just wouldn't be on my radar. This is not sexy stuff, it is the boring mundane problems of military families on a day to day basis, but it is really important for them. And there isn't a replacement. Things like the Army Times are owned by private companies, you have to buy that it you want to read it. (Not knocking Army Times, Air Force Times, etc. They are fine, but they aren't free)
    Stars and Stripes is/was the military equivalent of local newspapers. Largely boring, but packed with very relevant local issues and often times the first to break a story that gains national attention. And I didn't know it was so widely available on-base with free copies, but that makes it even more vital as it informs without additional cost which can burden many families.

Man, this is another in the long list of great metaphors for Trump and his administration. Abdicating leadership during a pandemic, but they can still find the time to give a middle finger to many in the military and their families for the cost of less than a rounding error in the Pentagon budget.

Stars and Stripes is/was the military equivalent of local newspapers. Largely boring, but packed with very relevant local issues and often times the first to break a story that gains national attention. And I didn't know it was so widely available on-base with free copies, but that makes it even more vital as it informs without additional cost which can burden many families.

Man, this is another in the long list of great metaphors for Trump and his administration. Abdicating leadership during a pandemic, but they can still find the time to give a middle finger to many in the military and their families for the cost of less than a rounding error in the Pentagon budget.
    Another irony of this administration. They are willing to use CDC to impose a nationwide moratorium on eviction. Which is really pushing CDC's limit of authority. Yet, they are unwilling to impose a nationwide facemask requirement. Which is much less of an imposition and well within CDC's limit of authority. Where is the logic in that?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    Another irony of this administration. They are willing to use CDC to impose a nationwide moratorium on eviction. Which is really pushing CDC's limit of authority. Yet, they are unwilling to impose a nationwide facemask requirement. Which is much less of an imposition and well within CDC's limit of authority. Where is the logic in that?
    It's so they can have their cake and fuck it too.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBrown1917 View Post
    So saying McCain is not a war hero for what he did in Vietnam is a "stupid hill"? How much do liberals love McCain now?
    John McCain didn't choose to go to war. A bunch of dumbass men in Washington did. There was a draft, and hundreds of thousands of young men were conscripted into that war. I suppose you could argue they should have made the moral decision to dodge the draft, but that's a hard call to make in the moment, because it literally means going into exile and being a criminal. He was captured and tortured during that war, and survived to tell the tale. That is heroic.

Now, his behavior of being a war hawk after Vietnam and his policies about the military in his years in Congress? Those are surely not heroic.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    John McCain didn't choose to go to war. A bunch of dumbass men in Washington did. There was a draft, and hundreds of thousands of young men were conscripted into that war. I suppose you could argue they should have made the moral decision to dodge the draft, but that's a hard call to make in the moment, because it literally means going into exile and being a criminal. He was captured and tortured during that war, and survived to tell the tale. That is heroic.
    His story is even more honorable and heroic:

John McCain was offered an out-of-sequence POW release when the VietCong discovered his father was an Admiral. McCain refused.

Now, his behavior of being a war hawk after Vietnam and his policies about the military in his years in Congress? Those are surely not heroic.
    He did some good deeds during his years in Congress. Reunification of adult south Vietnamese children that were left behind in Vietnam with their families in the US. Also normalization of relationship between Vietnam and US. I also put his vote against ACA repeal on the good deed side.

https://web.archive.org/web/20200901...91110994980865

Remember that time a Republican candidate compared Kyle Rittenhouse to Greta Thunburg, saying we need more people like Rittenhouse and fewer like Thunburg? You didn't because Twitter removed the tweet?

Well, now you can see it.

10+ Year Old Account
    John McCain didn't choose to go to war. A bunch of dumbass men in Washington did. There was a draft, and hundreds of thousands of young men were conscripted into that war.
    It isn't that important a distinction to me, but for accuracy's sake, he was an enlisted man who requested combat assignments. I just don't think it fair to group him in with victims of the draft when the only thing really coercing his service was military legacy. Men like McCain are the ones who should be fighting those wars, at least he wanted to be there, unlike so many others.
    /s

Could it be? A fuck up so bad that Trump's base starts to crack? Ancient astronaut theorists say, "yes".

Well, maybe. I know some are just gonna pretend it isn't real, but I have to imagine this latest event has chipped out tens of thousands of votes at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    "Oh, he means states that contribute more to taxes than they get in benefits? Those Democratic states?|

Yes.

"He does know that Texas and Florida--"

Florida: Florida faces $5.4 billion deficit....the federal government has given Florida $5.8 billion in CARES Act funds.....

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/pol...244958930.html

Texas: Texas Comptroller Glenn Hegar projected a shortfall of $4.58 billion

https://www.weatherforddemocrat.com/...c5be0c0ed.html

But hey who needs a bail out huh:

McConnell will have other appearances in West Kentucky throughout the day.

To date, the CARES Act is making a $12 billion impact across the Commonwealth. McConnell says this federal assistance includes more than 50,000 Paycheck Protection Program loans helping small businesses, farmers, and nonprofits access over $5.2 billion in urgent relief.

The CARES Act delivered more than $1.7 billion for Kentucky's state and local government response to COVID-19. Kentucky healthcare providers have received more than $1.3 billion, according to McConnell.

Good luck finding a state that is not 500m-1 billion+ in deficit right now.

Difference is some states would like to continue providing current benefits during the hardest times. Other states just want to cut budgets by 8-15% and fuck people who need help.

Republicans support the "fucking" of people who need help btw.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

10+ Year Old Account
    Imagine going from this:

"Fourscore and seven years ago our fathers brought forth, on this continent, a new nation, conceived in liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal. Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived, and so dedicated, can long endure. We are met on a great battle-field of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of that field, as a final resting-place for those who here gave their lives, that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this. But, in a larger sense, we cannot dedicate, we cannot consecrate—we cannot hallow—this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us—that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they here gave the last full measure of devotion—that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain—that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom, and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth."
    To

Suckers and losers
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка

And that makes him a war hero now? How exactly?
    Last edited by JohnBrown1917; 2020-09-04 at 07:06 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    https://web.archive.org/web/20200901...91110994980865

Remember that time a Republican candidate compared Kyle Rittenhouse to Greta Thunburg, saying we need more people like Rittenhouse and fewer like Thunburg? You didn't because Twitter removed the tweet?

Well, now you can see it.
    Keeping the environment safe and stable to ensure continued human existence? BAD!
    Traveling across state lines with an illegal rifle to murder protesters? GOOD!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Blur4stuff View Post
    Could it be? A fuck up so bad that Trump's base starts to crack? Ancient astronaut theorists say, "yes".

Well, maybe. I know some are just gonna pretend it isn't real, but I have to imagine this latest event has chipped out tens of thousands of votes at least.
    There was a story (though it can't be confirmed, take it with a grain of salt, but it's probably true) of an old retired Marine coming out of his home, angrily grabbing his "TRUMP 2020" sign and tossing it in the trash.

So maybe . . . maybe this was a line that was not to be crossed for some people.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    His story is even more honorable and heroic:

John McCain was offered an out-of-sequence POW release when the VietCong discovered his father was an Admiral. McCain refused.
    Nothing about his time in Vietnam is heroic, leave that to those who actually saved lives by preventing massacres.

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Uhm... did you watch the RNC last week? This isn’t pushing a dictator, when RNC just spent a week convincing America Trump is the only savior of western civilization.

Perfect? Maybe if sending federal troops to cities, with unmarked vans grabbing people off the street, worked out better, he would have invoked it. Thank people at least trying to hold him accountable for that shit to stop.

That’s not what RNC said for a week... just last week...

Edit: Actually, according to RNC, dictator is not enough... Trump is sent by god to save us... his rule extends beyond the mortal realm... lol
    Lol, you read a lot into things that I didn't hear. but, hey that's your right. The whole savior of the freedom and "the west" thing was a little over the top to me. Not necessary untrue since it seems like he is the one leading the charge to defend things like the rights in the constitution. The regular republicans seem spineless without him pushing, and the democrats want to remove those rights. (Before you say I am making things up, see Cali removing civil rights law, see democrats pushing for censorship, removing guns, killing MLK's dream).

About the federal troops thing.... Sending in federal troop to defend a federal court house when the state is not doing it is the right thing to do. Using unmarked vehicles to pick up people for questioning about crimes is standard for police, both local and federal. Police is NYC, Chicago, LA, Washington DC, have done this forever. I mention those because those are the ones I remember the stories of. Notice those are all DEMOCRAT CONTROLLED AREAS, so not republican or Trump.

If you want to say that they shouldn't be able to do that, that's fine, make that argument and get the laws changed. But equate officers picking up a couple of people for questioning, bring them back to the courthouse, questioning them, and letting them go after (less the 2 hours) as a dictator move.

That's a comparison from a "place of privilege" because you have never lived under dictatorship.

Trump is a sleazy, New York business man. I have disliked him for real reasons for what, 30 years now... Since he screwed up the other football league and I am probably going to have to vote for him again because the democrats offer nothing to help.

Biden finally came out against the riots, months after they started, months after he and his campaign backed them through actions, months after his VP pick state her support of them. I am happy he is finally coming out against the violence. Of course I think it would have made a statement if he did it in the beginning like Trump did.

I do love how the left loved Trump until he decided to run as a republican. Now they hate him.

But its to be expected. I mean now the left loves Mccain, of course when he was running for president he was a racist baby killer. Now they love Romney, of course when he was running they said "he wanted to put you all back in chains" because he was a racist.

I wonder if after Trumps presidency is over, if he donates to the democrats again, how long until they will love him again too.

Its amazing how that seems to work in politics, isn't?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnBrown1917 View Post
    Nothing about his time in Vietnam is heroic, leave that to those who actually saved lives by preventing massacres.
    That’s fine... just don’t get pissy when people respond to you, knowing that this is who you are.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi