10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Selvari7 View Post
    regurgitating
    Trump supporter detected. I'm sure you'll excel in the upcoming 24-hour challenges that will have your name on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Trump supporter detected. I'm sure you'll excel in the upcoming 24-hour challenges that will have your name on them.
    I'm not. I like how if someone just questions how valuable the impeachment will be when there likely are enough votes they get branded a "trump supporter"
    Not cool at all and really sad.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not.
    "I'm not a Trump supporter, but isn't everything he does just the best and there should be no consequences for..."

Yes you are. Nobody buys your act, not even you.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Then when we look back at this point in US history, we'll remember that Republicans put one man and their party over the country. Sometimes you do shit for future generations, knowing that it won't have immediate effect but will serve as a lesson for the future.

Just because Republicans have made it clear they won't remove him doesn't mean the whole thing should just go away.
    It shouldn't go away and there's alot of different ways they can move forward. Special Prosecutor thru The Justice Dept for example.

It's already so difficult for Biden considering the situation he has inherited and this just makes it even more difficult for him to move the country forward.

https://apnews.com/article/joe-biden...cdb93c100c4a17

President-elect Joe Biden already faces the daunting task of steering a newly announced $1.9 trillion coronavirus relief bill through a closely divided Congress as the pandemic and its economic fallout grow.

The confluence of events amounts to one of the most politically and logistically complicated openings to a new administration in modern history, requiring Biden to try to move the country into a post-Trump era even as senators debate Trump’s most divisive acts.

“It’s going to be incredibly challenging,” said former Arkansas Sen. Mark Pryor, a Democrat. “There’s only so much bandwidth in the Congress.”

But once the proceedings start, it’s certain to be tougher for Biden to completely avoid them, with the trial dominating the news cycle and forcing his former opponent back into the spotlight, even as Biden tries to stay focused on the coronavirus pandemic.

And there’s the prospect they could further exacerbate the already fraught atmosphere on Capitol Hill, politicizing Biden’s agenda and making it tougher for him to get support from winnable Republican senators.
    - - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    The GOP refusing to do their sworn duty doesn’t negate the importance of impeachment. You may not care that Trump incited a violent insurrection, but some of us do.
    I care but I'm acknowledging that with that without enough votes in Senate, this isn't exactly going to accomplish that much. If you had enough votes then sure, this would do a lot more.

It's already so difficult for Biden considering the situation he has inherited and this just makes it even more difficult for him to move the country forward.
    Dude, Biden's not even watching this shit. He's got a job to do and he's completely unconnected from the Senate trial.

If you want to know why folks assume you're a Trump supporter, it's because you're intentionally/unintentionally repeating functionally every argument against the Senate trial that Republicans have made so far.

It shouldn't go away and there's alot of different ways they can move forward. Special Prosecutor thru The Justice Dept for example.

- - - Updated - - -

I care but I'm acknowledging that with that without enough votes in Senate, this isn't exactly going to accomplish that much. If you had enough votes then sure, this would do a lot more.
    He has literally zero part in this.

Yay!!! Twitter giving him the laura loomer treatment puts a huge smile on my face.

10+ Year Old Account
    New York State moves to rename Donald Trump state park to literally anything else.

Our parklands should be reflective of New Yorkers that we can be proud of, New Yorkers that have expressed our values. There are a lot of other New Yorkers who are worthy of the honor of having a park named after themselves.
    -- the bill's sponsor

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    New York State moves to rename Donald Trump state park to literally anything else.

-- the bill's sponsor
    I vote for Peter Parker park.

I'm not. I like how if someone just questions how valuable the impeachment will be when there likely are enough votes they get branded a "trump supporter"
    Sad, but yummy.

You don't just "move forward" from Trump and his supporters trying to overthrow American democracy and install him as an unelected dictator. There needs to be consequences. Then we move forward.

You don't rob a bank or murder someone then tell the judge you shouldn't be punished because everyone needs to move forward and heal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blur4stuff View Post
    You don't rob a bank or murder someone then tell the judge you shouldn't be punished because everyone needs to move forward and heal.
    Indeed.

You also don't avoid doing something, because "it doesn't have the votes". Make people sign their name on supporting a murderous insurrection. Hell, Trump didn't have the votes to win and he still ran.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can just admit you've never read To Kill A Mockingbird, sweetheart.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

People are having fun with Trump's defense team.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    "Oh we have too much to do, lets just let that crime go unaccounted for."
    it's the same tune whenever social topics come up.

"Man why are you focusing so much on LGBT issues when there's poors in the streets?!" - Party of people oppressing LGBT people and preventing aid to the poor.

Watergate...Iraq War...Insurrection...it's amazing how often "move the country forward" means "let's not hold Republicans accountable."
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

It's a little sad how little questioning it takes to get you branded and categorized.

Like, they're really no friend of Democracy, which involves talking through things instead of jumping to ideological warlines and label-and-dismiss tactics. And that's fine if you think half the country are basically Nazi racists and Democracy itself must be rejected to preserve something desirable.

The country needed Pelosi to call an emergency session the day after for adoption of impeachment articles, and a speedy Senate trial relying only on Trump's public statements for encouraging the action, and perhaps including the Georgia secretary of state call. The absence of such haste lost much of the "he must be removed from office now" appropriate response, and empowered resistance. (That having been said, the Democrats probably politically profit from his continued political power with a chance for another primary run in the future. The country, less so, but the Democrats likely >51%)
    "I wish it need not have happened in my time." "So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Quote Originally Posted by tehdang View Post
    The country needed Pelosi to call an emergency session the day after for adoption of impeachment articles, and a speedy Senate trial
    https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/21/polit...ing/index.html

Because McConnell said nah. Though amusingly, this is yet another argument often used by Republicans to attack the trials credibility and defend Trump.

It's generally reasonable to assume that if someone is repeating the arguments of Republicans time and time again, that they might be a Republican and hold similar views to other Republicans making those arguments.

Also, impeachment doesn't work that quickly and it would be a joke of an impeachment trial if they rushed it that much. Which it's already moving damned quick. Also also, expanding the impeachment too broadly and roping in other topics like the Georgia meddling, which is under investigation in Georgia, would have further delayed and muddied things up. By keeping the focus of the impeachment narrow, it makes for better arguments and less changes to argue that Democrats are just throwing the kitchen sink at him.

There was no absence of haste, and Republicans would need precisely zero reasons to feel "empowered" as the "resistance". They were doing that starting on January 7, well before anything even got moving.

Hmmm... I wonder how things would turn out if Trump in his stupidity announced in the next 24-48hrs that he was forming a new party; would 17 GOPers vote in favor of a conviction then?

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, I didn't actually post about your main point since people took it to asides and ad hominem.

I think the best course of action for Biden right now is to work with Pelosi to bring a censure resolution before the House that condemns the behavior. The terms of it should be more or less encouragement to a large group of protesters to reject the proper electoral votes for President that ended in violence at the capital, and subsequent inaction to interpose to stop the lawless action through twitter and broadcast.

Basically get every elected Republican to vote for or against a censure resolution, when it doesn't involve convicting a President after he's left office, or involving legal terms of incitement / insurrection / treason.

Thoughts?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/21/polit...ing/index.html

Because McConnell said nah. Though amusingly, this is yet another argument often used by Republicans to attack the trials credibility and defend Trump.

It's generally reasonable to assume that if someone is repeating the arguments of Republicans time and time again, that they might be a Republican and hold similar views to other Republicans making those arguments.

Also, impeachment doesn't work that quickly and it would be a joke of an impeachment trial if they rushed it that much. Which it's already moving damned quick. Also also, expanding the impeachment too broadly and roping in other topics like the Georgia meddling, which is under investigation in Georgia, would have further delayed and muddied things up. By keeping the focus of the impeachment narrow, it makes for better arguments and less changes to argue that Democrats are just throwing the kitchen sink at him.

There was no absence of haste, and Republicans would need precisely zero reasons to feel "empowered" as the "resistance". They were doing that starting on January 7, well before anything even got moving.
    Notice that I said the next day. Pelosi delaying for a week means McConnell had grounds to take a similar period for consideration.

The House can't tell the Senate that they better move at speeds they won't even move at themselves. Treat it like an emergency if you want to leverage others to treat it the same way, or shut up, hypocrite.
    "I wish it need not have happened in my time." "So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."