5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tehdang View Post
    Actually, I didn't actually post about your main point since people took it to asides and ad hominem.

I think the best course of action for Biden right now is to work with Pelosi to bring a censure resolution before the House that condemns the behavior. The terms of it should be more or less encouragement to a large group of protesters to reject the proper electoral votes for President that ended in violence at the capital, and subsequent inaction to interpose to stop the lawless action through twitter and broadcast.

Basically get every elected Republican to vote for or against a censure resolution, when it doesn't involve convicting a President after he's left office, or involving legal terms of incitement / insurrection / treason.

Thoughts?
    It in the playbooks, https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/trum...ry?id=75802580.

And Once again Biden has no involvement in the Congress impeachment process.

Notice that I said the next day. Pelosi delaying for a week means McConnell had grounds to take a similar period for consideration.
    "Next day" isn't remotely practical or reasonable, it's the stuff of pure fantasy.

And McConnell would have delayed regardless. Republicans have proven that they don't need excuses for bad faith governance, that they can is excuse enough.

The House can't tell the Senate that they better move at speeds they won't even move at themselves. Treat it like an emergency if you want to leverage others to treat it the same way, or shut up, hypocrite.
    Sure they can, because the House and Senate roles in impeachment are very different. This is also not a remotely credible argument that will get anywhere.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Hmmm... I wonder how things would turn out if Trump in his stupidity announced in the next 24-48hrs that he was forming a new party; would 17 GOPers vote in favor of a conviction then?
    I only wish. Lindsay "Ass-Clown" Graham literally called Trump last night and said "the trial was over". Most GOP Senator's have already made up their mind. Hawley and his shit-headedness are claiming no jurisdiction, so can't vote. Which tells you even fucking retards can get law degrees from Yale - because the "court" already told him they did have jurisdiction.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Which tells you even fucking retards can get law degrees from Yale - because the "court" already told him they did have jurisdiction.
    Wait, is Josh Hawley an ivy league liberal elite? I thought REAL AMERICANS didn't go to fancy, elite, expensive radical liberal schools.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Wait, is Josh Hawley an ivy league liberal elite? I thought REAL AMERICANS didn't go to fancy, elite, expensive radical liberal schools.
    Lol, yeah.

I heard a couple of "reviews"(?) from people who knew him 10 years ago and he's apparently gone into the abyss with his thirst for power and ambition. He wants the presidency.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Stanford and Yale. Real salt of the earth type.
    I have to say, as just an aside to your info post, he's obviously brilliant - but it continues to amaze me how bright people can be Trumpkins. I know the reasons why, it just stuns me every once in awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Stanford and Yale. Real salt of the earth type.
    Shit man, I'm a fuckin "liberal coastal elite" by birth and I ain't got degrees like that. I can't even afford that fuckin shit, either one, lmao.

"Next day" isn't remotely practical or reasonable, it's the stuff of pure fantasy.

And McConnell would have delayed regardless. Republicans have proven that they don't need excuses for bad faith governance, that they can is excuse enough.

Sure they can, because the House and Senate roles in impeachment are very different. This is also not a remotely credible argument that will get anywhere.
    Pelosi had the power, and people were already there in DC ... because they had just voted to confirm the electoral result. Your assertion is wrong and your characterization is silly.

Next time, force McConnell to make the bad decision instead of excusing Pelosi for doing everything but forcing his hand. The hypotheticals here calls for nothing but restating your biases in the form of a hypothesized result.
    "I wish it need not have happened in my time." "So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Pelosi had the power, and people were already there in DC ... because they had just voted to confirm the electoral result. Your assertion is wrong and your characterization is silly.
    No, it's not. Tell me, what goes into bringing about impeachment charges? Are preparations necessary? How much time does it take?

Next time, force McConnell to make the bad decision instead of excusing Pelosi for doing everything but forcing his hand. The hypotheticals here calls for nothing but restating your biases in the form of a hypothesized result.
    Force him to make what decision? Faster trial? How?

What leverage should be used? Do you think he'd do it just because Nancy moved fast, and that the fast movement of the House would lead to Republicans, again, accusing them of speeding through impeachment and not creating a credible case?

10+ Year Old Account
    Next time, force McConnell to make the bad decision
    "It's the Democrats' fault they didn't make the Republicans do the right thing, not the Republicans' fault for not doing the right thing!"

Blaming anyone but the Republicans, for the Republicans protecting Trump, is disingenuous.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/10/polit...=AndroidMobile

Michigan state Senate Majority Leader Mike Shirkey was caught on a hot microphone on Wednesday approaching Democratic Lt. Gov. Garlin Gilchrist and doubling down on conspiracy theory comments he made about the insurrection at the US Capitol on January 6.

Shirkey, the state's top elected Republican, told Gilchrist that he does not take back the points he was trying to make in a video that surfaced on Tuesday in which he was caught claiming that the rioters were not Trump supporters and the entire insurrection was a hoax.

"I frankly don't take back any of the points I was trying to make," Shirkey said in audio captured of the conversation. "Some of the words I chose I do, I regret in the end."
    Sorry, not sorry actually but still sorry but not really but please stop asking me about this.

10+ Year Old Account
    please stop asking me about this.
    That's what it really is, isn't it? "Just let me act on falsehoods and lies that happen to fit my narrative! We need to come together, that means stop pressing me on my conspiracies, treasonous behavior, and cult mentality and just give me my half!"

Can't decide which thread to rant in. I'll go with this one.

If you didn't catch what Lee did at the end of the session tonight, he basically just announced what the Republican strategy is going to be: the same one used in the last impeachment and in Kavanaugh's hearings.

If you remember those, 93 years ago, you remember that Republicans latched onto every perceived slight and used them as a means of escaping the debate about the core complaint. The issue wasn't what Trump did or what Kavanaugh did, it was what the tyrannical democrats did when bringing it up.

Lee is now outraged about a thing he claims was a lie, in an article that impeachment managers quoted. It wasn't important. I watched the whole trial and I don't even remember it being mentioned. But he's really mad about it, and democrats are the evil ones now for using this thing he's mad about. Expect it to become a major talking point in Trump's defense and on Fox News, and very little said about Trump's crimes: aren't those impeachment managers so mean, coming here and spreading all these lies about Republicans and senators? Never mind those dead cops, did you hear those mean things the impeachment managers said?

Quote Originally Posted by Grapemask View Post
    Can't decide which thread to rant in. I'll go with this one.

If you didn't catch what Lee did at the end of the session tonight, he basically just announced what the Republican strategy is going to be: the same one used in the last impeachment and in Kavanaugh's hearings.

If you remember those, 93 years ago, you remember that Republicans latched onto every perceived slight and used them as a means of escaping the debate about the core complaint. The issue wasn't what Trump did or what Kavanaugh did, it was what the tyrannical democrats did when bringing it up.

Lee is now outraged about a thing he claims was a lie, in an article that impeachment managers quoted. It wasn't important. I watched the whole trial and I don't even remember it being mentioned. But he's really mad about it, and democrats are the evil ones now for using this thing he's mad about. Expect it to become a major talking point in Trump's defense and on Fox News, and very little said about Trump's crimes: aren't those impeachment managers so mean, coming here and spreading all these lies about Republicans and senators? Never mind those dead cops, did you hear those mean things the impeachment managers said?
    https://www.fox13now.com/news/local-...-says-of-trump

Yeah, surprising nobody Mike Lee is still a massive, dishonest piece of shit.

I would genuinely love to be as amoral as these fucks and sleep soundly at night.

96,806 new cases, about 18k fewer than last Wednesday.

Top 5:

Texas: 12,839 new cases; 348 deaths
    California: 8,357 new cases; 478 deaths
    Fuck Florida.
    New York: 7,285 new cases; 165 deaths
    New Jersey: 4,370 new cases; 147 deaths

18k fewer cases (which will tighten a bit as usual once Nebraska et al chime in) is a far cry from the 40k+ differences we were seeing last week but at least it's still heading in the right direction. Arizona's 4k total from yesterday appears to have been a correction/fluke, thankfully and California is shedding cases rapidly. Texas is the only state with over 10k new cases today which isn't surprising given that their positivity rate is still above 10% (California's is now back below 5% for comparison). We might end up edging back over 100k either tomorrow or Friday but probably not by much and next week should see us well below--though probably still higher than the high point we reached in the Summer. It's still too early to tell if the rate of decrease is slowing down so much but another couple days' worth of data will give us a clearer picture.

3,432 deaths is 600 fewer than last Wednesday and brings the total to 483,200. It really says something about the state the country was in a month ago when we could shed 600 deaths in a week and still be nearly double the high for the Summer outbreak. We're still losing 20k people every week but that should continue to decline relatively sharply as the month goes on.

Related news:

Two masks, snug fit reduces COVID-19 spread, U.S. study shows--While I plan on taking this advice, I have absolutely no faith that it will be widely adopted given that people rail against a single layer so adamantly, let alone double-bagging it.

Over 30 percent of Americans say they won't get COVID-19 vaccine: poll--Fun fact: Fauci says we need 75% of the population vaccinated to achieve herd immunity. Simple math says these 30% fucks that up for everyone. These fuckers make my knuckles itch and better hope they never get within 6 feet of me--and not even because of social distancing measures.

Despite steady drop in Covid cases, research reveals more pandemic threats loom--Just in case anyone was getting too optimistic. I'm sorry.

Stay safe, folks.

yo @Benggaul are the us doing genome tests on the infected like they are doing in the uk to find variants?

We've got a shed load of variants popping up, i cant believe the US isnt facing similar mutations given just how many people are infected.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    yo @Benggaul are the us doing genome tests on the infected like they are doing in the uk to find variants?

We've got a shed load of variants popping up, i cant believe the US isnt facing similar mutations given just how many people are infected.
    As of Jan 20 we were doing very little. There was talk about Biden starting to do a lot more of it, but I haven't heard anything definite about the US picking up the slack. The fact that we are discovering more cases of the existing mutations kind of implies that we are doing at least a LITTLE more. imho, the fact that we have not found any NEW mutations suggests that we are not looking for them.

10+ Year Old Account

We absolutely are doing genetic analysis on some of the US cases.

It's never enough, of course, and it's not like it's being done on a consistent basis throughout the US, but it's definitely being done. The same can be said about most countries, of course. The UK has been showing us up, though.

And yes, there are tons of mutations. The only ones that get talked about, however, are the ones which seem to actually have a substantive change in performance.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

As usual, smarter people than I have already answered. Yes, testing is being done, but not at the same level as what's being done in the UK. And yes, several variants have been found all around the country thanks in part to that testing including the more contagious ones found elsewhere in the world.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Sen. Butch Cassidy [R-Sundance] and...

(checks notes)

Sen. Bill Cassidy [R-LA] explains his decision to vote that the trial is Constitutional and should proceed.

No you're not.

Hmm. Three "I'm an impartial juror" in thirty seconds. Well, time to dust off this one:

Okay, while to be fair to someone who will vote to acquit, Cassidy did continue that Trump's lawyers were so all over the place, at one point Cassidy asked Cruz if Trump's lawyers knew the question at hand.

"What did Cruz say?"

Not now.

"But it's important!"

Cruz said "Not now". As in, "leave me alone, I want to hear this unrelated nonsense".

Well, Cassidy made a clear and (cough) "impartial" case based on the merits as discussed. I'm sure he'll at least--

LA GOP votes to rebuke Cassidy for his vote.

Ah. We can't have anyone using objective facts and evidence in the Republican Party, I see. It's all about the Trump cult.

Well you know the rules. All resident Trump supporters, you have 24 hours to speak to the matter of Cassidy's Republican Party rebuking him for his vote. Failure to do so means you agree with the party.

Your opinions on the matter are specifically and directly being called for. Comment on the Republican Party (of his own state) rebuking Cassidy for siding with the party that made their case, over the one which did not.
    My comment is simple, the state party has the right to rebuke anyone they see fit. It does not make it the right thing to do, nor does it mean it is what the majority of those who elected Cassidy wanted to have happen. The voters will determine Cassidy's future based on how they feel he represents them.

Quote Originally Posted by D Luniz View Post
    I think John Oliver uses a montage of CSPAN crazy calls as a 1min filler every few eps on Last Week Tonight
    What you call "filler" i call "engaging Television" :P
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.