Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    It’d be sad if there weren’t so many people who buy his bullshit.
    manipulation and charisma go a long way. I've seen people here repeatedly rebuke this saying Trump supporters are just stupid though, that it has nothing to do with any of the former. But whether you see it as bad or meaningless, Joe Biden has no skills in rousing speeches.
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    Trump supporters are just stupid
    That's right.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    We get it, you love Trump and have no critical thinking skills. Good luck with that.
    no I don't, I'm just pointing out why Trump has supporters at all. Compare the loud voice and big boasts to Biden's really low pitched no-nonsense speeches
    Last edited by YUPPIE; 2021-08-06 at 04:57 PM.
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

10+ Year Old Account
    no I don't, I'm just pointing out why Trump has supporters at all. Compare the loud voice and big boasts to Biden's really low pitched no-nonsense speeches
    Falling for style over substance is a hallmark of stupidity. You're not refuting anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    That's right.
    And it’s a damn shame. You look at his supporters, and try to reason with them, but you can’t fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I hate that thousands will die, and far more will suffer for this. But hey, they voted for him. You reap what you sew, and he was a transparent fuckin moron from the get-go.
    I would agree except children can't vote and there's going to be a lot of them dying or left with long COVID because the adults didn't do the right thing. Also, "sow".

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I imagine the tens of thousands of older residents dying, plus plenty others suffering from the virus or seeing their friends die around them, might impact the next Republicans chances of winning (Crist's numbers are going up!). But given the Republican electorate, that's not something I'd place money on.
    The elderly population in Florida is probably the most vaccinated demographic in the state. I mentioned this a while ago, but at some point the GOP there realized it was killing off their prime demographic so they had a really focused vaccination drive for the elderly there (which is why Florida has the "best of the worst" vaccination rate of 59%--21st in the nation not counting Puerto Rico or DC). Other states I won't speak for, but they probably have enough younger dumbfucks that killing off the elderly wouldn't dent their numbers too much. Well, I mean, except it's killing off the younger folks too, which they belatedly realize on their deathbeds.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Imagine if Democrats initiated a nationwide lockdown before Republicans killed or disfigured all of our kids, or maybe all of us by incubating new variants. I wished Trump had done it, and now I especially wish Dems would do it with Delta.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurasu View Post
    Imagine if Democrats initiated a nationwide lockdown before Republicans killed or disfigured all of our kids, or maybe all of us by incubating new variants. I wished Trump had done it, and now I especially wish Dems would do it with Delta.
    They don't have the balls to do it

The problem with trying to enforce another lockdown is you'll get American citizens rampaging across the streets in protest claiming they're being oppressed, killing and burning everything they see, and forcing military intervention.

Nationwide lockdowns will never work because "MUH STATES RIGHTS" so Republican-governed states would never do it. What WOULD have helped is not having a whole shitload of misinformation, downplaying of the pandemic and outright buffoonery at the start by Trump and his administration. What hurt with the current administration was the CDC telling people who were vaccinated they don't have to wear masks and a general premature lifting of precautions in a lot of areas. We weren't at the finish line yet but a lot of people decided in the face of all evidence that we were.

10+ Year Old Account
    The problem with trying to enforce another lockdown is you'll get American citizens rampaging across the streets in protest claiming they're being oppressed, killing and burning everything they see, and forcing military intervention.
    Okay, and?
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd rather militarily intervene before they literally kill me.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Okay, and?
    you know, there have been a lot of posts recently pretty open to the idea of just massacring civilians in droves if they warrant it. Like, not too long ago, I asked if it would be alright if the military just killed waves of violent Trump rioters if they attacked in protest of his arrest. People said that's fine because they are "terrorists" now. So in the same sense here, would they be terrorists for inciting violence in protest of a lockdown?

It'd make America look bad above all else.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    Nationwide lockdowns will never work because "MUH STATES RIGHTS" so Republican-governed states would never do it. What WOULD have helped is not having a whole shitload of misinformation, downplaying of the pandemic and outright buffoonery at the start by Trump and his administration. What hurt with the current administration was the CDC telling people who were vaccinated they don't have to wear masks and a general premature lifting of precautions in a lot of areas. We weren't at the finish line yet but a lot of people decided in the face of all evidence that we were.
    We're at the point now that Delta is widely circulating and there's no putting that genie back in the bottle. I guess we can just keep waiting and hope it's only Republicans and their kids that die, but that (1) still isn't very palatable, and (2) isn't very likely.

10+ Year Old Account
    you know, there have been a lot of posts recently pretty open to the idea of just massacring civilians in droves if they warrant it. Like, not too long ago, I asked if it would be alright if the military just killed waves of violent Trump rioters if they attacked in protest of his arrest. People said that's fine because they are "terrorists" now. So in the same sense here, would they be terrorists for inciting violence in protest of a lockdown?

It'd make America look bad above all else.
    Because a bunch of ignorant and privileged people taking to the streets committing acts of violence over a temporary public health measure wouldn't already make America look bad. Sure, Jan.

I've no issue with it for the same reason I'd have had no issue with Reconstruction continuing for as long as it was warranted. Fascism is a cancer and it requires aggressive measures to excise.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azadina View Post
    So, what, could Biden also randomly say "2A any trumpkin you see in the head, don't worry about it", and all is well?

Like how the f does it fly what she's saying. I don't get it even with your explanation.
    There isn't any direct bright line here, unfortunately. The "fire in a crowded theater" is the most apt from SCOTUS, but even that doesn't cover what Marge and their Terrorist Members are doing here.

But your question is germane. How the fuck does speech like that fly? Two reasons: we value speech above a LOT of other things, and were reluctant to squash speech without GOOD reasons. Obviously this is a good one, but it doesn't go so far as to literally say "go kill them son's of bitches" - she's just speaking euphamistically, and while it's Deplorable, what we dont' want to do as a rule of law is "guess" someone's intentions behind their speech, if that speech isn't clear - which in Marge's case it isn't "legally" clear, if that makes sense. Second, Marge is a Member of Congress, and they are afforded even more protection than a normal citizen, given the vary nature of their speech is political.

What's been really awful about the GQP Deplorables is that they are taking honorable things (like member of congress "protections", the White House, little things like that) and shitting all over them. Taking full advantage of protections and using them to push lies and conspiracies and treason and terrorism.

There have been several solid articles out there about how the GQP is using the "Gentleman's Agreement" rules of politics in our system and twisting them to keep a minority party ruling a majority. But that's another conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Because a bunch of ignorant and privileged people taking to the streets committing acts of violence over a temporary public health measure wouldn't already make America look bad. Sure, Jan.
    what can you do besides detaining and killing them, which is only going to inspire more outrage and violence over what democracy is? Trump supporters already went berserk over the last quarantine and mask mandate.

This country is completely divided now.

10+ Year Old Account
    what can you do besides detaining and killing them
    Gee I wonder if there were any successful examples of ridding society of a high level of fascist influence.

You really don't seem to get just how much of a minority position the Republican Party let alone Trumpists are operating from.

Hint: When surveys using language like "1/3 of Americans, but 90% of Republicans" have become commonplace, that's fairly telling.
    Last edited by Elegiac; 2021-08-06 at 07:24 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    what can you do besides detaining and killing them, which is only going to inspire more outrage and violence over what democracy is? Trump supporters already went berserk over the last quarantine and mask mandate.

You and the guy who started this thread both routinely fail to comprehend one simple thing:

The just will not fear the unjust. Ever.

I don’t care how many people would become violent if trump was arrested or put on trial. I don’t care how many people become violent because they think Covid is a hoax or masks are impacting their freedoms. I don’t care what the “optics” of forcing them back in line looks like. The rule of law will always govern the land, and if people choose, yes CHOOSE, no one is forcing them, to commit violence, then I have zero qualms about the appropriate force being deployed to keep them in check.

If theyre committing political acts of violence against innocent people as you say, like terrorists? I have ZERO problem with law enforcement dropping them where they stand, no matter how many of them there are. America would be seen as stronger for it, instead of giving literal fascist terrorists some sort of free pass as you seem to prescribe. And if that makes more right-wing fascists choose to take up violence? Then drop them too.

These people don’t have valid concerns or opinions. Their opposition to the rule of law does not come from a place of moral or legal high round. Their positions are based on only misinformation and lies they choose to consume.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Employers are losing patience with unvaccinated workers

NJ governor Phil Murphy getting pissed

“Frankly, enough is enough,” he said in an interview Thursday with The Inquirer. “The irresponsibility, the amount of people who are getting sick and dying because of these people believing in falsehoods — they need to be called out.”

Murphy, a Democrat seeking reelection in November, was speaking Wednesday in Union City, where he signed legislation to prevent evictions and provide utility assistance for renters. When he urged vaccination, as he does at most appearances, a group of protesters began heckling him, waving signs that bore slogans such as “No forced injections.”

“These folks back there have lost their minds — you’ve lost your minds!” an agitated Murphy said in a moment livestreamed on his YouTube channel. “You are the ultimate knuckleheads! And because of what you are saying and standing for, people are losing their life!”

The end ‘keeps moving’

For many vaccinated people, the frustration is underpinned by multiple factors: an exhaustion with restrictions, rules, and fear; uncertainty about the future; turmoil over the country’s deep ideological divide; and, perhaps most important, a sense that the pandemic’s end was in sight but now may be slipping away.

Anger among vaccinated people, experts said, is aimed at those who choose to decline the shot, not the segments of the population that still have barriers to access, need assistance, experience systemic inequity, or can’t be vaccinated due to medical conditions.