10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Like, how is that even a crime?
    I get how that's a crime. Jaywalking is a crime. Parking in the wrong spot is a crime. I'm not sure this particular crime calls for "years in jail" level of punishment.

Like, how is that even a crime?

"Oh, she's not entitled to vote. Discard that ballot." Done. Problem fuckin' solved.
    She wasn't doing something white, that was her problem.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-b1841497.html

Seriously, she voted out of ignorance and was sentenced to 5 years in prison. Another guy used his dead mothers name to fraudulently vote, which is obviously not legal or right, and got 5 years...of probation. State laws come into play, but that the laws in each state may be so different in terms of penalties is itself also a problem.

Also, forever fuck Kris Kobach.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    I get how that's a crime. Jaywalking is a crime. Parking in the wrong spot is a crime. I'm not sure this particular crime calls for "years in jail" level of punishment.
    Why are either of those crimes?

Here, maybe, you might get a ticket. That's a minor civil infraction. Not a "crime".

"Crime" is a criminal infraction. Not civil.

Here, maybe, you might get a ticket. That's a minor civil infraction. Not a "crime".

Yeah, they're both technically traffic infractions rather than crimes.

It depends on the state, but in most states it's a misdemeanor, not anything criminal. That being said it's still largely stupid, and a result of how much influence the automotive industry has had on policy in a TON of areas across life historically.

Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post

Merck says experimental pill cuts worst effects of COVID-19--Potentially good news, though I feel this needs further study. This also will not help people who are already hospitalized with COVID as it needs to be taken within 5 days of the first symptoms appearing. Still, if it pans out it should cut hospitalizations and deaths dramatically and be a welcome tool in the fight against the virus.
    I'm not optimistic about this helping honestly at least much. These people's IQ's are so low they argue the science against FDA authorized vaccines, in favor of either quackery or being so stupid they just think they're young and therefore their immune system will just prevent them from harm. Maybe good for the immunocompromised, but I also don't feel like they are very large portion of the population so won't make too big a dent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Regardless of the technical term, I think we both agree that "misreading a deadline" shouldn't be five years in jail worthy. At least if you run a red light, you might hit and kill someone. Voting two months before you're allowed might be prohibited by law, but the only other person you're affecting is the election worker who has to dig out and remove your ballot.

Regardless of the technical term, I think we both agree that "misreading a deadline" shouldn't be five years in jail worthy. At least if you run a red light, you might hit and kill someone. Voting two months before you're allowed might be prohibited by law, but the only other person you're affecting is the election worker who has to dig out and remove your ballot.
    I may have been wrong about the two months thing (I was going off memory), but it was a provisional ballot, too! Those are explicitly meant for cases in which the voter's eligibility is in question.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    it was a provisional ballot, too! Those are explicitly meant for cases in which the voter's eligibility is in question.
    I hope you either misremember or that the penalty doesn't stick, because if that happened as you remember that's a fucking tragedy.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't agree it's worth a $50 fine.

It shouldn't be a legal infraction at any level.

If you're misrepresenting your identity at the polling station, that's fraud, prosecute that. Casting a ballot that shouldn't be counted should not be a crime, it should just be a normal administrative procedure for the poll workers.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    They could argue that, but it would still be objectively false. It's not the same chemical. This isn't even "there's chlorine in table salt" level of misleading, since organic compounds use different rules. It's purely an objective scientific falsehood. The two items do not share any complex chemicals in common, and any doctor or pharmacist that didn't know that would know within 15 seconds by reading the labels.

EDIT: Which, again, is why I'm wondering if there are penalties for this. I don't believe "Your Honor, I filed this statement under oath while not understanding how this worked, therefore, I am not liable for any sanctions" should work. Ignorance as a defense has its time and place, but not when you're the one filing lawsuits in court based on them. If you don't know the difference between a mony- and a poly- you shouldn't file a claim in court claiming they have the same effect.

EDIT EDIT: If it seems I'm especially irate at this topic, bear in mind I am a science teacher, work with other more applied science teachers routinely, and come from a family of them. What this sworn affidavit is, is asking to me suing Firestone Tires because their product is made of pumice, based purely on it being a "fire stone", while of course any tire made of pumice would be shredded to fine dust almost instantly.
    Since they can show that objectively there are no shared ingredients between the two, then yeah, they could/should face sanctions and fines. And you're right, ignorance isn't a defense under the law in most cases, this being one of them. If they claimed something, then they should know it - the "I thought it was true because Faux News told me" no longer works - if it ever did.

I don't know how any of the scientific community has kept their sanity over the past 16 months. Legally speaking I've been teetering on intellectual insanity, and all my stuff is inherently subjective.

Edit: more definite wording in the first part - "[s]ince" replaced "[i]f".
    Last edited by cubby; 2021-10-01 at 06:02 PM.

If y'all caught Trump's rally last weekend, he brought up the marine who was recorded pulling a baby over the wall at the Kabul airport. The guy teared up and told the sad story of his experience.

Or he made it up. Probably the latter.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-b1930744.html

Regarding the viral photo that began circulating around August 20, 2021, the marine identified in that particular image was not LCpl Clark
    That's the official line from the Marines. Clark was in that unit on the wall, but was apparently not actually one of the soldiers grabbing babies and pulling them over.

Oh, and also Clark is under investigation by the marines for speaking at a partisan political gathering, something active duty troops are not supposed to do.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    If y'all caught Trump's rally last weekend, he brought up the marine who was recorded pulling a baby over the wall at the Kabul airport. The guy teared up and told the sad story of his experience.

Or he made it up. Probably the latter.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-b1930744.html
    Regarding the viral photo that began circulating around August 20, 2021, the marine identified in that particular image was not LCpl Clark
    That's the official line from the Marines. Clark was in that unit on the wall, but was apparently not actually one of the soldiers grabbing babies and pulling them over.

Oh, and also Clark is under investigation by the marines for speaking at a partisan political gathering, something active duty troops are not supposed to do.
    And what I struggle with day in and day out, is that those facts won't matter. Whomever is still blithely following Trump will ignore the reality, cry fake news, and the chasm will grow wider.

I hope you either misremember or that the penalty doesn't stick, because if that happened as you remember that's a fucking tragedy.
    That part I didn't misremember; Edge posted the link above:
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-b1841497.html

And yes, it IS a fucking tragedy, but this is Texas we're talking about.

I may have been wrong about the two months thing (I was going off memory), but it was a provisional ballot, too! Those are explicitly meant for cases in which the voter's eligibility is in question.
    Actually what happened was she signed a provisional ballot affidavit stating she had not been convicted of a felony and they used that as basis to convict her. But she also was guided to do such by the election worker. 5 years for such bullshit is unacceptable. The real crime she committed was being black and not voting Trump. If she didn't commit either of those, they wouldn't have even charged.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    If they can show that objectively there are no shared ingredients between the two, then yeah, they could face sanctions and fines
    As pointed out earlier, the lawyers who filed that did a "WHOOPS my bad!" and tried to yank it back. Maybe. But yes, two chemicals that sound the same doesn't mean shit. Ferric oxide and ferrous oxide might only be a few letters off, but try making thermite with the wrong one and your welding career ends with some colored smoke.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Or a mother released from jail who cast a provisional vote because she thought she was allowed to, but her voting rights actually didn't come back for two more months so she was sentenced to more YEARS in jail.
    It's precisely why systematic racism in the U.S. is such a prevalent issue, and is generations still from going away, if ever. This situation should be the poster child for what is wrong with American. But I digress.

The real issue here with these new voter laws in TX, aside from literally keeping the browns and blacks from voting, is that now the police can arrest people for violating these SCOTUS upheld laws. Give someone water in a 100 degree 6+ hour voting line? Jail time. Accept water/food while in line? Jail time. Misunderstand the voting laws (that the people who write them don't understand) and vote incorrectly? Jail time.

This is how a state that was sliding Blue retreats into Red.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...e-grisham-book

I'm not necessarily saying I believe everything Grisham wrote but...man does a lot of it seem to check out and make perfect sense. Trump is a fucking child, literally.

The British prime minister was “one of the few European leaders Trump seemed to tolerate”, Grisham writes. “Conversations between those two, both pudgy white guys with crazy hair, redefined the word random.

“Johnson once told us over breakfast that Australia was ‘the most deadly country – spiders, snakes, crocodiles and kangaroos’. Then they discussed how powerful kangaroos were at considerable length.”
    Truly an important topic that required a face-to-face discussion between world leaders.

Also, this gem -

Grisham also writes that Trump told Imran Khan, the prime minister of Pakistan, that “India reminded him of California with all of the homelessness”.
    Trump really is just America's id with no superego to act as a filter.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    As pointed out earlier, the lawyers who filed that did a "WHOOPS my bad!" and tried to yank it back. Maybe. But yes, two chemicals that sound the same doesn't mean shit. Ferric oxide and ferrous oxide might only be a few letters off, but try making thermite with the wrong one and your welding career ends with some colored smoke.
    And that's very telling - that the attorneys tried to withdraw it, because they probably knew sanctions were a possibility.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...e-grisham-book

I'm not necessarily saying I believe everything Grisham wrote but...man does a lot of it seem to check out and make perfect sense. Trump is a fucking child, literally.

The British prime minister was “one of the few European leaders Trump seemed to tolerate”, Grisham writes. “Conversations between those two, both pudgy white guys with crazy hair, redefined the word random.

“Johnson once told us over breakfast that Australia was ‘the most deadly country – spiders, snakes, crocodiles and kangaroos’. Then they discussed how powerful kangaroos were at considerable length.”
    Truly an important topic that required a face-to-face discussion between world leaders.

Also, this gem -

Grisham also writes that Trump told Imran Khan, the prime minister of Pakistan, that “India reminded him of California with all of the homelessness”.
    Trump really is just America's id with no superego to act as a filter.
    Fucking imbeciles. Total fucking idiots. Holy shit.

And just as a comparison, when Obama had a free evening while traveling in Europe and meeting with European leaders, he had a casual dinner with scientific leaders from CERN and other physicists, to discuss the topic.

I wonder if someone like Obama could ever win the White House again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    And that's very telling - that the attorneys tried to withdraw it, because they probably knew sanctions were a possibility.
    Is this one of those things automatic things, or does the judge have final say? "We'd like to withdraw" on what grounds? "We're goddamn idiots. LOL." ...legally I have to let you, so go away fuckers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.