The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Trump's work week starts off poorly. The judge in the civil case is weighing if Trump should be held in contempt for blatantly ignoring subpoenas.

"Surely those subpoenas were issued in bad faith and unConstitutional!"

The judge does not believe that.

The NY AG asked for Trump, you know, the guy who owns and runs Trump Org, to hand over their records. Trump refused. Or more accurately, Trump's lawyers claimed they looked around really hard but didn't find any records of the business he owns and runs. Oh, and then called this a publicity stunt.

Dear defendants: this is how you get no-knock raided.

From the sounds of things, NY is asking for $10,000 a day of refusal, plus additional costs caused by the delay. I believe this is a warning shot. If Trump refuses to turn over the records that any competent CEO would have, and also refuses to pay those contempt charges (if applied), then these two factors are themselves evidence for the case itself.

I'll let @cubby call the shots, but I believe if Trump refuses to comply with the legally and Constitutional subpoena, one or more of three things will happen.

One, his various homes get raided. Anything in NYState is fair game.

Two, the penalties rise. After a demonstrated time period of noncompliance, $10,000 a day gets an extra zero or Trump has to testify why he's not complying...or just flat-out jailed. These might be civil charges, but refusing to comply with a legal warrant/subpoena is still a bad idea.

Three, a directed verdict. In an Alex Jones kind of way, if NYState can provide compelling evidence and Trump's only defense is "WITCH HUNT!" then the judge might simply shrug and say "well I'm siding with the side taking this seriously" and just rule in the AG's favor. This would, of course, be crippling for Trump. By Trump's own admission, he's been under audit since 2001. Just randomly making up numbers here to get an idea of context, but if Trump undervalued his properties by $100 million to avoid paying taxes each year, NYState could very realistically claim they're due 10% of that gap, or $220 million. And I'm fairly sure that's lowballing it.
    It will be interesting to see how they handle civil fines and contempt charges against him. Jailing him would be the thing to do if the fines go unpaid (typically they are daily fines, ongoing until the "contempt" issue is resolved). If those aren't being paid Trump should go to jail.

But he's also throwing millions of dollars (in "campaign" donations no less) at this, and appealing every single issue to SCOTUS, which is his modus operandi in law suits. Keep it in the courts for years/decades until the issue goes away or gets settled. And now, his legal team has all the money it needs/wants (and Trump isn't footing the bill).

It will be curious to see how it plays out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopymonster View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but contempt is one of those things that when you are found guilty of it, you are. It's the prerogative of the court to call it. No jury, just the judge saying "This is my house. I make the rules in my house. You shat on my carpet when I told you not to." It's also highly unlikely a contempt will be overturned.

So the 3 mentally defective weasels in an ill fitting suit representing Don can't really appeal.
    You can't really appeal, but there are legal recourses. But they involve things like suing the judge directly, and then trying to establish in that court, which is likely to be biased in favor of the other judge, that they're being a big meany and don't have grounds for contempt.

Which, since contempt of court is SUPER broad, is nigh-impossible. You seriously need the judge to say in open court that they're holding you in contempt for "being black in the courtroom" or that level of bullshit. Failure to comply with subpoenas is slam-dunk justification.

DWAC stock price rose today--

"Yeah! MAGA!"

Yes, it's back over $40 again.

"Yeah! Wait, what?"

Oh, sorry, I forgot to mention, it fucking tanked yesterday. It was $38 at the end of trading. It is back to $40.56 now. Barring a miracle, DWAC will lose 18% this trading week.

These giant announcements from these (cough) social media giants made DWAC's stock price rise...(checks ticker) to $40.73, a bit over 7%, almost immediately on opening. Then, nothing. Yep, this yuge news got them back to the second lowest closing price they've ever had.

Amazing what a week can do. Or even one day

35.98 -5.02 (-12.24%)

i can see this thing down to 25 by the weekend if Musk goes forward with the twitter buyout and it wasn't a bluff he just got called on.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    Or even one day
    Oh how bad could it poss--

35.98 -5.02 (-12.24%)
    Whoa. I did not expect "nothing happens" plus that rally stumping for Truth "Central" to do...that. Normally a 10% plus drop requires something bad happening. So either it was "Trump proves it doesn't matter to him" which I'm not sure about, or...

(checks news)

Stock tied to Donald Trump’s social media venture falls 13% as Twitter announces deal with Musk

Yep. The timeline checks out.

So, Trump has gone on the record saying that he would not return to Twitter, and as we've seen Nunes is still pushing that. Of course, Trump lies all the time about everything, and people cheering his name is his cocaine. I expect him back within seconds.

Whoa. I did not expect "nothing happens" plus that rally stumping for Truth "Central" to do...that. Normally a 10% plus drop requires something bad happening. So either it was "Trump proves it doesn't matter to him" which I'm not sure about, or...

(checks news)

Stock tied to Donald Trump’s social media venture falls 13% as Twitter announces deal with Musk

So, Trump has gone on the record saying that he would not return to Twitter, and as we've seen Nunes is still pushing that. Of course, Trump lies all the time about everything, and people cheering his name is his cocaine. I expect him back within seconds.
    Oh god Musk is buying Twitter, not saying Twitter is good or anything but fuck that piece of shit and his simping cultist.

Quote Originally Posted by pathora44 View Post
    Oh god Musk is buying Twitter, not saying Twitter is good or anything but fuck that piece of shit and his simping cultist.
    Musk is the fucking poster boy for why letting society make multi billionaires is a BAD idea. The fact that so many ordinary people seem to think he's some kind of genius is, frankly, baffling to me.

Nothing good is going to come out of this.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
    Musk is the fucking poster boy for why letting society make multi billionaires is a BAD idea. The fact that so many ordinary people seem to think he's some kind of genius is, frankly, baffling to me.

Nothing good is going to come out of this.
    you are just mad an african american is finally doing so well in america he can buy the 15th biggest social media network

(checks news)

OMG

“No, I won’t be going back on Twitter,” Trump told CNBC’s Joe Kernen.

“I will be on Truth Social within the week. Its on schedule. We have a lot of people signed up. I like Elon Musk. I like him a lot. He’s an excellent individual. We did a lot for Twitter when I was in the White House. I was disappointed by the way I was treated by Twitter. I won’t be going back on Twitter,” he said.

Stock jumped an amazing...umm... 3%.... hahahahah

They know he probably won't show up or even care enough about Truth to post but a few times.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    you are just mad an african american is finally doing so well in america he can buy the 15th biggest social media network
    Oh God I can't tell if you are being serious or sarcastic and for love of all that is good please let it be the latter.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pathora44 View Post
    Oh God I can't tell if you are being serious or sarcastic and for love of all that is good please let it be the latter.
    I'm pretty sure it's a joke about Elon Musk being South African and his family getting rich off of apartheid.
    "If you are ever asking yourself 'Is Trump lying or is he stupid?', the answer is most likely C: All of the Above" - Seth Meyers

10+ Year Old Account
    OMG

“No, I won’t be going back on Twitter,” Trump told CNBC’s Joe Kernen.

“I will be on Truth Social within the week. Its on schedule. We have a lot of people signed up. I like Elon Musk. I like him a lot. He’s an excellent individual. We did a lot for Twitter when I was in the White House. I was disappointed by the way I was treated by Twitter. I won’t be going back on Twitter,” he said.

Stock jumped an amazing...umm... 3%.... hahahahah

They know he probably won't show up or even care enough about Truth to post but a few times.
    If Trump were to ever keep one promise in his miserable life, him not going on Twitter ever again would be the one I'd actually want him to keep.

But sadly when truth social goes belly up and the 2022 elections come around and he sees fit to try and play "kingmaker" again we'll probably see his orange ass back on twitter, assuming a deal is closed by then and Musk flippantly unbans everyone.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Gem of a movie.

But, I honestly don't know what the NY AG can do about Mar-a-Largeass. One, the documents should realistically be there. Two, it's in Fuck Florida and their jurisdiction is in question.

Which, again, is why I think the judge should get involved. If I claim "Your Honor, I am innocent but all the evidence is somewhere else and I refuse to show it to the court" I think the judge has not just the right, but the requirement, to say "well if you don't provide it I can't count it and we have to assume it doesn't exist".
    If the NY AG could make a compelling case to the FL AG that the documents are in Florida could he not request a raid in Florida for said documents?

Surely hiding your incriminating evidence in another state is not a way to avoid having it seized.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    If the NY AG could make a compelling case to the FL AG that the documents are in Florida could he not request a raid in Florida for said documents?

Surely hiding your incriminating evidence in another state is not a way to avoid having it seized.
    Florida would never given consent for that nor move against Mar-A-Dildo or it's owner. Not given it's current crop of politicians.
    "Daddy, they're trying to come for all that evidence you moved here last month. I told them to fuck off. It's my state. What? Sure I'll keep all that pesky paperwork for you. We'll call it...executive privilege. I'll pile them next to the actual reports of how many Floridians died of Kung China Wuhan Virus that is just a cold."

The feds would be the only ones I think who could just go in and take shit regardless of the state's best knob polishing, and they usually have cooperation with local agencies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Trump would go back on Twitter in a heartbeat if he was unbanned, but doing so would admit that his own platform failed, meaning he also failed, and he’s not about that life.
    Much like his other failures, from businesses to children, he doesn't think of them ever and blocks them from his mind. He thinks he can do no wrong.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    ...and? You think DeSantis would agree to that?

The NY AG would have better luck going to the feds, which of course, the rabid fanbase would claim was Biden abusing his authority with zero sense of irony.

10+ Year Old Account
    Trump would go back on Twitter in a heartbeat if he was unbanned, but doing so would admit that his own platform failed, meaning he also failed, and he’s not about that life.
    Like I said before, trump has never kept a promise and more importantly none of his followers have ever expected him to keep them.

Trump has far more failures under his belt than successes. His followers don’t care.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes he is. Trump fails all the time. He just assumes his rabid fanbase will ignore that. And he is correct.

It's not losing, it's being seen as a loser. When Trump abandons his "the cyber" project and rejoins Twitter, his failure needs to be thrown in his face every day. Lucky for most of us, we have Twitter accounts already

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes he is. Trump fails all the time. He just assumes his rabid fanbase will ignore that. And he is correct.

It's not losing, it's being seen as a loser. When Trump abandons his "the cyber" project and rejoins Twitter, his failure needs to be thrown in his face every day. Lucky for most of us, we have Twitter accounts already
    Sadly his followers just plug their ears and ignore it. “Truth social? Never heard of it! Anyway, look at all these ways trump says the 2020 election was stolen! Click here to see how the mainstream media is lying to you about Russia and how Biden is covering for the Ukrainian nazis!”

That’s what it’s gonna be.
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account

People will hand-wave it away. Should Trump get unbanned, they'll see Twitter being something different, thus it doesn't count. And yeah, his fans aren't all that bothered by broken promises, regardless. Something something, owning the libs.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    how the mainstream media is lying to you about Russia and how Biden is covering for the Ukrainian nazis!”
    I sometimes wonder how hard the mental gymnastics are on those people. Gotta be really hard train of thought: "Nazis from Germany were pretty bad, but current American Nazis are fine people... what do Ukrainians actually look like? Also Rambo did some good fighting against evil ruSSia, but now aren't they the good guys? I get that impression from Cucker Tarlson."

If they think too long about it something's gonna give.