View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. This poll is closed
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

11 11.96%
    Quote Originally Posted by Teleros View Post
    1. For PR purposes of course. "Blah blah red lines blah blah EU being unreasonable blah blah..."
    2. In case the EU does blink & give in.
    I don't think it is anywhere as complex as your first point as it is in everyone's best interests to reach a deal. I think it is a case of this is what we want and if it is not acceptable we will not hang around paying into the EU budget (especially as we could be on the hook for the CV bailout - if it is ever agreed) and following EU law.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    I'm sure US will argue in complete good faith as they push their chlorinated chicken on the UK.

I wouldn't hold out hope for the EU blinking when they have been preparing for a no-deal Brexit for longer then the UK has and the UK has blinked on every single deadline sofar including when Boris gave up Northern Ireland by putting a hard border in the Irish sea to get the withdraw agreement through.
    We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    Gambling on that the EU will suddenly blink when it didn't the several other times before this is quite a strategy, good luck with that.
    Who said anything about gambling on it? No deal is a fine outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    I don't think it is anywhere as complex as your first point as it is in everyone's best interests to reach a deal. I think it is a case of this is what we want and if it is not acceptable we will not hang around paying into the EU budget (especially as we could be on the hook for the CV bailout - if it is ever agreed) and following EU law.
    Yeah a good deal would be nice, but I have serious doubts as to the likelihood of that, particularly WRT Remoaners trying to sabotage things.
    Still not tired of winning.

Probably just running down the clock or trying to see if the EU blinks first.
    The EU didn't blink when it was the USA trying to impose an unfavourable trade deal on them, why the hell would they blink when it's a country with only a tiny fraction of the clout?

We don't own half the world any more. We're one small island with residual delusions of grandeur that exist in certain people much more than others. We are going to get a severe wake up call any time now.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Yeah a good deal would be nice, but I have serious doubts as to the likelihood of that, particularly WRT Remoaners trying to sabotage things.
    I think that unless there is a drastic shift within the next few weeks no-deal is, unfortunately, the most likely outcome. What remoaners? And how can they (whoever they might be) when they are up against a government that has an 80 seat majority and is committed to delivering Brexit sabotage anything?

Oh for fucks sake, that's pathetic. You're still going to go with the whole "we would have got a great deal if it wasn't for those pesky remain types" even when you control every lever of power in government and are completely in control of our side of the negotiations with the EU?

This is on you and your crowd now. When this fucks up (and it will) this is 100% entirely down to you and your side. We'll be stood at the side doing the "I told you so" dance, but we won't be sharing the blame. Man the fuck up, pull on your big boy pants and take some fucking responsibility for what happens next.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

7+ Year Old Account
    And how can they (whoever they might be) when they are up against a government that has an 80 seat majority and is committed to delivering Brexit sabotage anything?
    You do realise we have a civil service which is pretty Europhile, right? There's also a reason so many PMs and other senior politicians have said how truthful "Yes, Minister" was.

Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
    You're still going to go with the whole "we would have got a great deal if it wasn't for those pesky remain types"
    Someone fails at reading comprehension. "I have doubts that..." =/= "I know for certain that...".

when you control every lever of power in government and are completely in control of our side of the negotiations with the EU?
    See my response to Pann above. A very large part of the establishment was pro-EU, and an awful lot of those people are still in positions of power & influence.

See my response to Pann above. A very large part of the establishment was pro-EU, and an awful lot of those people are still in positions of power & influence.
    As I said; you're basically trying to set things up so that if it works, you can say "see, I told you so" and when it fails you can say "it failed because they didn't do it properly because it was sabotaged by the unbelievers!"

Sadly very typical of the average Brexiteer. Always willing to blame everyone else for problems, regardless of the facts. Won't ever take responsibility themselves. At least you're slightly more honest about it than some of the others on this thread.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    But how do you call yourself brexiteer if you have left? What are you brexiting from now?
    Brexiteer def.- It's a badge in honour of a great victory, the majority of the UK wear, of pride.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    I'm sure US will argue in complete good faith as they push their chlorinated chicken on the UK.

I wouldn't hold out hope for the EU blinking when they have been preparing for a no-deal Brexit for longer then the UK has and the UK has blinked on every single deadline sofar including when Boris gave up Northern Ireland by putting a hard border in the Irish sea to get the withdraw agreement through.
    Looking forward to chlorinated chicken here, perhaps we'll put some in a chicken pie and send it across the channel, the EU will never know.

And it will go well with the chlorine washed salad us and our eurochums already eat.
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

7+ Year Old Account
    As I said; you're basically trying to set things up so that if it works, you can say "see, I told you so" and when it fails you can say "it failed because they didn't do it properly because it was sabotaged by the unbelievers!"
    If we get a good deal out of all this I will be pleasantly surprised, because I frankly don't expect one. Short of a bad deal though, I expect the UK economy to do fine once we're out of the EU & all its single market stuff etc. Might be some short-term hiccups, but they'll be sorted out before too long.

7+ Year Old Account
    If we get a good deal out of all this I will be pleasantly surprised, because I frankly don't expect one. Short of a bad deal though, I expect the UK economy to do fine once we're out of the EU & all its single market stuff etc. Might be some short-term hiccups, but they'll be sorted out before too long.
    And those short term economic hiccups will be down to the Coronavirus dregs in any case, not the no deal brexit transition end. No sireee bob but you just watch the rejoiners attempt to put the blame on Brexit.

We are watching, vigilant as ever!
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    And those short term economic hiccups will be down to the Coronavirus dregs in any case, not the no deal brexit transition end. No sireee bob but you just watch the rejoiners attempt to put the blame on Brexit.

And the rewriting of history begins. Anything bad that happens, these muppets will try and blame it on Covid 19, rather than their beloved Brexit. Unfortunately for you dribbles, you've been hanging around with other Brexiteers too much. Normal people aren't as stupid as they are, and aren't going to be fooled as easily by this attempted sleight of hand.

Brexiteer def.- It's a badge in honour of a great victory, the majority of the UK wear, of pride.
    "Majority" in this case being redefined to mean "about a quarter of something". Typical Brexiteer, having to redefine the meanings of words so that they don't feel small and impotent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Well, good luck with that approach in future negotiations.
    Well, last time our approach was:

> Gets an offer.
    > Melts down that it's terrible, calls a general election.
    > Gets a better offer.
    > Melts down further and elects a new leader.
    > Renegotiates for the original offer.
    > Celebrates amazing negotiation skills.

What could go wrong?

You do realise we have a civil service which is pretty Europhile, right? There's also a reason so many PMs and other senior politicians have said how truthful "Yes, Minister" was.
    The civil service implements government policy. Honestly if you believe that the civil service will somehow be able to sabotage the Brexit process then I really don't know what to do tell you.

- - - Updated - - -

The economic fallout from CV is going to last years and compared to it, Brexit, even no-deal, will be a drop in the ocean.
    Last edited by Pann; 2020-04-21 at 03:03 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    The civil service implements government policy.
    That's the idea, yes. Again, PMs from Maggie Thatcher and on have said how accurate "Yes Minister" is (eg this article in the FT). If you haven't watched that show through... I mean basically you're missing a huge part of UK political education.

That's the idea, yes. Again, PMs from Maggie Thatcher and on have said how accurate "Yes Minister" is .
    You know that show is 35 years old right?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tandrisal View Post
    But it's political education, so naturally, every politician learned that in politicians school.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

That's the idea, yes. Again, PMs from Maggie Thatcher and on have said how accurate "Yes Minister" is (eg this article in the FT). If you haven't watched that show through... I mean basically you're missing a huge part of UK political education.
    Both Yes, Minister and Yes, Prime Minister, like many satirical comedies, take their inspiration from real life however they remain just that - comedies not documentaries.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tandrisal View Post
    Still seems to apply if recent PMs are any guide. But what would David Cameron or Tony Blair know ?

Still seems to apply if recent PMs are any guide. But what would David Cameron or Tony Blair know ?
    For the benefit of other people who have stepped through a time portal from 1983 or something, Yes Prime Minister has not been considered to be representative of British politics for at least 30 years. The Thick Of It, which came some time later in the Blair years, replaced the dynamic of an uber-powerful civil service with that of an uber-powerful spin machine, a concept which defined Blair and Cameron's governments. Even that is heavily outdated by modern standards, in a time of a right-wing populist government that eschewed all expert advice until its incompetence forced it to start listening to medical experts, and was dominated by the thinking of random nutcase Dominic Cummings who is neither a spin doctor or a civil servant.

In other news space hoppers are no longer fashionable.
    Last edited by Tandrisal; 2020-04-21 at 05:14 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    The economic fallout from CV is going to last years and compared to it, Brexit, even no-deal, will be a drop in the ocean.
    For sure even the tremendous benefits to the UK of deal or no deal transition end probably won't mitigate the economic downsides to CV. However as someone who likes to find the silver lining in the Corona cloud one thing is sure in that it exposes the remainer lies from their side at the point of the referendum and onwards.

How many times have you heard on this very forum from the EU shills that free trade requires free movement of people? Well the very reason for EU existence and their "crowning glory" if you like is gone.

Free trade is happening right now and there is no EU freedom of movement. Just shows what's possible when there is the will. Have you heard an apology from the rejoiners attempted deceit? I haven't....