View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. This poll is closed
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

11 11.96%
    7+ Year Old Account
    UK-Japan trade deal to be completed by next week

The deal is based off the EU-Japan deal struck last year, but better thanks to brexit, with a further reduction or elimination of Japanese tariffs on British goods and vice versa.

https://www.cityam.com/uk-japan-trad...-by-next-week/

Every day, more brexit benefits come to fruition, lovely jubbly. The millions and millions of UK people were right to vote leave.
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
    Who will want it? Taking control of the party and the country at a time when Brexit is going to be destroying the reputation of both. It's going to have to be someone too stupid to recognise the damage they will do to their own reputation, or too determined to gain power to care.

So yeh, Gove has to be in the discussion.
    Surely Jacob Reese-Mogg is knob enough to go for it. He doesn't seem to care a whole lot what people think about him, he detests everyone anyway, fucking snob.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post

The deal is based off the EU-Japan deal struck last year, but better thanks to brexit, with a further reduction or elimination of Japanese tariffs on British goods and vice versa.

Every day, more brexit benefits come to fruition, lovely jubbly. The millions and millions of UK people were right to vote leave.
    Explain the bolded part if you care.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Explain the bolded part if you care.
    Not sure what requires explaining, obviously if we hadn't left the EU in January we would have been stuck with their mediocre trade deal. Thanks to brexit and the millions of people like me who enabled that and with the reclamation of our sovereignty as a result, we don't have be.

As Downing St puts it:- ‘We have reached consensus on many of the major elements of a deal including in areas like digital, data, financial services that go beyond the EU-Japan deal.”

https://www.holyrood.com/news/view,u...tilton-demands

Does that help?
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

15+ Year Old Account
    Not sure what requires explaining, obviously if we hadn't left the EU in January we would have been stuck with their mediocre trade deal. Thanks to brexit and the millions of people like me who enabled that and with the reclamation of our sovereignty as a result, we don't have be.

As Downing St puts it:- ‘We have reached consensus on many of the major elements of a deal including in areas like digital, data, financial services that go beyond the EU-Japan deal.”

https://www.holyrood.com/news/view,u...tilton-demands

Does that help?
    Yep thanks.
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

You know what, I think I'll wait until the details of the deal are announced before I decide whether it's going to be better that the deal that the EU negotiated. Because unlike you, I don't get a piece of news from this government that says "we just did something brilliant because of Brexit" and just swallow it uncritically. Bearing in mind the track record that this government has for a) fucking things up b) lying about things they've just fucked up and c) signing up for deals without understanding what the deal actually means, I think I'm on pretty solid ground for thinking that the chances are this deal is going to turn out to be, at best, meh. And at worst really, really bad.

I mean, you do realise that this has been negotiated by a group of people that have overseen a Covid response that has only been kept from being the worst in the world by idiots in charge of places like the US and Brasil. That couldn't run a lock-down exam process properly when they had advance notice from Scotland that their plan wasn't going to work. You honestly think we've got a better deal than a massive EU team with decades of experience and the weight of one of the largest trading blocs in the world behind them?

At least you're consistent in your delusions, I guess. I can't wait to see what this deal actually looks like, and how much we had to give away to get tarrifs off some tiny cheese export.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

What an utter bellend. My British friends, this is your PM:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a9689741.html

Boris Johnson calls face masks in classrooms ‘nonsensical’ hours after latest U-turn
    He contracted Corona after ignoring all safety precautions and defying medical experts by shaking hands. He nearly dies from it. He's said to have severe long term effects that seem to force him into retirement (or so his excuse goes).

And then he says children shouldn't wear masks in school for protection. Words fail here... how are people taking this? I don't even blame him for being an intentionally malicious motherfucker who wants to kill children en masse, he's just the idiot that he always was. But how are people not knocking down his door to punch his punchable face in?

As for Dribbles' inane rantings... that bolded part is factually impossible and an outright lie. As usual from the likes of Dribbles. It is a legal impossibility, see Article 2.8 of the EU-Japanese Trade Agrement, that is already in force:

4. Where a Party grants a larger or faster tariff reduction, higher quota or any other more favourable treatment than that provided for under this Agreement to a third country based on an international agreement for goods covered by paragraph 3 which affects the balance in the European Union's or Japan's market of such goods, the Parties shall, with a view to ensuring that the other Party obtains at least the same preference, commence such a review within three months of the date of entry into force of the international agreement between the European Union and that third country or between Japan and that third country, and will conduct the review with the aim of concluding it within six months of the same date.
    Why did I know what to look for? Because this paragraph is in almost every single one of the more comprehensive EU trade agreements. There will never, ever be a situation where the UK can go to any country that the EU already has a trade deal with (ie. all but one on this planet so far) and demand a better trade deal. It is by definition not possible for the UK to ever get a better trade deal than the EU has.

Of course, Brexiteers and other people of comparable mental state (ie. unstable) don't know this, because they never look into the legal texts. And when reality hits their snowflake bubble, they are shocked and blame the EU for blackmail tactics or some other drug-induced fantasy they make up on the spot.
    Last edited by Slant; 2020-08-26 at 09:40 PM.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post

He contracted Corona after ignoring all safety precautions and defying medical experts by shaking hands. He nearly dies from it. He's said to have severe long term effects that seem to force him into retirement (or so his excuse goes).

And then he says children shouldn't wear masks in school for protection. Words fail here... how are people taking this? I don't even blame him for being an intentionally malicious motherfucker who wants to kill children en masse, he's just the idiot that he always was. But how are people not knocking down his door to punch his punchable face in?

As for Dribbles' inane rantings... that bolded part is factually impossible and an outright lie. As usual from the likes of Dribbles. It is a legal impossibility, see Article 2.8 of the EU-Japanese Trade Agrement, that is already in force:

Why did I know what to look for? Because this paragraph is in almost every single one of the more comprehensive EU trade agreements. There will never, ever be a situation where the UK can go to any country that the EU already has a trade deal with (ie. all but one on this planet so far) and demand a better trade deal. It is by definition not possible for the UK to ever get a better trade deal than the EU has.

Of course, Brexiteers and other people of comparable mental state (ie. unstable) don't know this, because they never look into the legal texts. And when reality hits their snowflake bubble, they are shocked and blame the EU for blackmail tactics or some other drug-induced fantasy they make up on the spot.
    Technically, the UK could sign a better deal than what the EU currently has, it just means Japan have to extend those same more favourable conditions to the EU alongside it.

That said, we'll see what actually comes of it later.

I don't have the patience for semantics anymore. Technically, yes, they could sign a better deal. In common vernacular, that would not stay a better deal for a long time. For all intends and purposes, especially for this discussion, we can ignore the short period of time that it would technically be better.

And the real kick in the nuts part of that clause in the existing trade deals? The fact that they can put clauses like that in because of the leverage they have as a huge entity. If the UK tried to do something similar with any country that has a trade deal with the EU, or the US, or China, that country is basically going to say "nope, can't do" because as a single country we simply don't have the heft to be able to push for such a clause. We don't have the leverage.

But dribbles will ignore this. Or try and explain how it won't apply. Or he'll try and spin it as a good reason for getting out; because the EU putting things like that into trade deals is unfair. It's a toss of a coin, I think, as to whether he ignores or spins.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

7+ Year Old Account

Covid doesn't have the ability to kill children en masse, you are exaggerating. In fact some wit only this week worked out that people under the age of 40 have more chance of death by meteor strike than from Covid. So no, Boris is not the evil villain...

And again you exaggerate when you say the EU have trade deals with every country, but one, on the planet. They actually, after almost 50 years of negotiating them, have only 11. So few we can quickly list them...

Only 11 real EU trade deals are actually in force, according to EU data

Switzerland - Agreement
    Faroe Islands - Agreement
    Turkey - Customs union
    Iceland - Economic Area Agreement
    Norway - Economic Area Agreement
    Liechtenstein - Economic Area Agreement
    South Korea - Free Trade Agreement
    Singapore - Free Trade Agreement
    Vietnam - Free Trade Agreement
    Mexico - Global Agreement
    Japan - Global agreement

https://facts4eu.org/news/2020_aug_e...ng_trade_deals

Please stick to the facts.

And the real kick in the nuts part of that clause in the existing trade deals? The fact that they can put clauses like that in because of the leverage they have as a huge entity. If the UK tried to do something similar with any country that has a trade deal with the EU, or the US, or China, that country is basically going to say "nope, can't do" because as a single country we simply don't have the heft to be able to push for such a clause. We don't have the leverage.

But dribbles will ignore this. Or try and explain how it won't apply. Or he'll try and spin it as a good reason for getting out; because the EU putting things like that into trade deals is unfair. It's a toss of a coin, I think, as to whether he ignores or spins.
    You'll be surprised maybe, to learn that the EU doesn't even have to push hard for such a clause. This is basically just the legalese version of "hey, let's actually treat everyone equally in this trade network". See, the EU is - for its own affairs - completely replacing everything the WTO does. That's the purpose. They have rules about arbitration, disputes, temporary measures in case of a dispute, this clause, all kinds of other things. Once you sign this, there is no reason ever to make a case to the WTO.

And this is good for both sides. This trade network automatically makes any effort of countries like Russia, China, the US and yes, the UK at "divide and conquer" pointless. In the end, if this continues, you'll have one trading bloc, with the EU in the center as the major hub and on the outside you have the US, Russia, China.. and yes, the UK, looking into that trading network wondering when the fuck that happened.

Surprised nobody picked up on that strategy, yet. I realised it when this thread started and I started looking into the trade deals the EU does. It's so obvious.

15+ Year Old Account
    Covid doesn't have the ability to kill children en masse, you are exaggerating. In fact some wit only this week worked out that people under the age of 40 have more chance of death by meteor strike than from Covid. So no, Boris is not the evil villain...
    Phew, the average age for teachers in the UK is 39. Lucky bastards, well apart for the ones above that age, but fuck them.

good one

And again you exaggerate when you say the EU have trade deals with every country, but one, on the planet. They actually, after almost 50 years of negotiating them, have only 11. So few we can quickly list them...

Only 11 real EU trade deals are actually in force, according to EU data

Switzerland - Agreement
    Faroe Islands - Agreement
    Turkey - Customs union
    Iceland - Economic Area Agreement
    Norway - Economic Area Agreement
    Liechtenstein - Economic Area Agreement
    South Korea - Free Trade Agreement
    Singapore - Free Trade Agreement
    Vietnam - Free Trade Agreement
    Mexico - Global Agreement
    Japan - Global agreement

https://facts4eu.org/news/2020_aug_e...ng_trade_deals

Why is CETA not listed? Awesome "facts" you got there. This is an overview over existing trade agreements or trade agreements being negotiated/about to be negotiated:

Actually, let's show you the list:

https://ec.europa.eu/trade/policy/co...nd-agreements/
    Agreements in place
    Albania (Western Balkans) Stabilisation and Association Agreement In force since 2009
    Algeria Association Agreement In force since 2005
    Andorra Customs union In force since 1991
    Antigua and Barbuda (CARIFORUM) Economic Partnership Agreement Provisionally applied since 2008
    Armenia Partnership and Cooperation Agreement In force since 1999, negotiations on modernisation began in March 2019, on hold since April 2019
    Azerbaijan Partnership and Cooperation Agreement In force since 1999, negotiations on modernisation began in 2017, on hold since 2019
    Bahamas (CARIFORUM) Economic Partnership Agreement Provisionally applied since 2008
    Barbados (CARIFORUM) Economic Partnership Agreement Provisionally applied since 2008
    Belize (CARIFORUM) Economic Partnership Agreement Provisionally applied since 2008
    Bosnia and Herzegovina (Western Balkans) Stabilisation and Association Agreement In force since 2015
    Botswana (SADC) Economic Partnership Agreement Provisionnaly applied since 2016
    Cameroon (Central Africa) Interim Economic Partnership Agreement Provisionally applied since 2014
    Canada Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement (CETA) Provisionally applied since 2017
    Chile Association Agreement and Additional Protocol In force since 2003, negotiations on modernisation began in 2017, on hold since 2019
    Colombia (with Ecuador and Peru) Trade Agreement Provisionally applied since 2013
    Comoros (ESA) Interim Economic Partnership Agreement Provisionally applied since 2019, negotiations on modernisation began in 2019
    Costa Rica (Central America) Association Agreement with a strong trade component Provisionally applied since 2013
    Côte d'Ivoire (West Africa) Stepping stone Economic Partnership Agreement Provisionally applied since 2016
    Dominica (CARIFORUM) Economic Partnership Agreement Provisionally applied since 2008
    Dominican Republic (CARIFORUM) Economic Partnership Agreement Provisionally applied since 2008
    Ecuador (with Colombia and Peru) Trade Agreement Provisionally applied since 2013
    Egypt Association Agreement In force since 2004
    El Salvador (Central America) Association Agreement with a strong trade component Provisionally applied since 2013
    Eswatini (SADC) Economic Partnership Agreement Provisionnaly applied since 2016
    Faroe Islands Agreement In force since 1997
    Fiji (Pacific) Interim Partnership Agreement Provisionally applied since 2014
    Georgia Association Agreement In force since 2016
    Ghana (West Africa) Stepping stone Economic Partnership Agreement provisionally applied Provisionally applied since 2016
    Grenada (CARIFORUM) Economic Partnership Agreement Provisionally applied since 2008
    Guatemala (Central America) Association Agreement with a strong trade component Provisionally applied since 2013
    Guyana (CARIFORUM) Economic Partnership Agreement Provisionally applied since 2008
    Honduras (Central America) Association Agreement with a strong trade component Provisionally applied since 2013
    Iceland Economic Area Agreement In force since 1994
    Israel Association Agreement In force since 2000
    Iraq Partnership and Cooperation Agreement
    Provisionally applied since 2012
    Jamaica (CARIFORUM) Economic Partnership Agreement Provisionally applied since 2008
    Japan Global agreement In force since 2019
    Jordan Association Agreement In force since 2002
    Kazakhstan Enhanced Partnership and Cooperation Agreement Provisionally applied since 2016
    Kosovo * Stabilisation and Association Agreement In force since 2016
    Lebanon Association Agreement In force since 2006
    Lesotho (SADC) Economic Partnership Agreement Provisionnaly applied since 2016
    Liechtenstein Economic Area Agreement In force since 1995
    Madagascar (ESA) Economic Partnership Agreement Provisionally applied since 2012, negotiations on modernisation began in 2019
    Mauritius (ESA) Economic Partnership Agreement Provisionally applied since 2012, negotiations on modernisation began in 2019
    Mexico Global Agreement In force since 2000, negotiations on modernisation began in 2016, ‘Agreement in principle’ on the trade part reached in 2018
    Moldova Association Agreement In force since 2016
    Montenegro (Western Balkans) Stabilisation and Association Agreement In force since 2010
    Morocco Association Agreement In force since 2000, negotiations on modernisation began in 2013, on hold since 2014
    Mozambique (SADC) Economic Partnership Agreement Provisionnaly applied since 2016
    Namibia (SADC) Economic Partnership Agreement Provisionnaly applied since 2016
    Nicaragua (Central America) Association Agreement with a strong trade component Provisionally applied since 2013
    North Macedonia (Western Balkans) Stabilisation and Association Agreement In force since 2004
    Norway Economic Area Agreement In force since 1994
    Palestinian Authority Interim Association Agreement In force since 1997
    Papua New Guinea (with Fiji) Interim Partnership Agreement Provisionally applied since 2013
    Madagascar (ESA) Economic Partnership Agreement Provisionally applied since 2009
    Peru (with Colombia and Ecuador) Trade Agreement Provisionally applied since 2013
    Samoa (Pacific) Economic Partnership Agreement Provisionally applied since 2018
    San Marino Customs union In force since 1991
    Serbia (Western Balkans) Stabilisation and Association Agreement In force since 2013
    Seychelles (ESA) Economic Partnership Agreement Provisionally applied since 2012, negotiations on modernisation began in 2019
    Singapore Free Trade Agreement In force since 2019
    Solomon Islands (Pacific Economic Partnership Agreement Provisionally applied since 2020
    South Africa Economic Partnership Agreement Provisionnaly applied since 2016
    South Korea Free Trade Agreement In force since 2015
    St Kitts and Nevis (CARIFORUM) Economic Partnership Agreement Provisionally applied since 2008
    St Lucia (CARIFORUM) Economic Partnership Agreement Provisionally applied since 2008
    St Vincent and the Grenadines (CARIFORUM) Economic Partnership Agreement Provisionally applied since 2008
    Suriname (CARIFORUM) Economic Partnership Agreement Provisionally applied since 2008
    Switzerland Agreement In force since 1973
    Trinidad and Tobago (CARIFORUM) Economic Partnership Agreement Provisionally applied since 2008
    Tunisia Association Agreement In force since 1998, negotiations on modernisation began in 2015, on hold since 2019
    Turkey Customs union In force since 1995
    Ukraine Deep and Comprehensive Free Trade Agreement
    Association Agreement Provisionally applied since 2016
    Vietnam Free Trade Agreement In force since 2020
    Zimbabwe (ESA) Economic Partnership Agreement Provisionally applied since 2012, negotiations on modernisation began in 2019
    Agreements that are about to be adopted:

https://ec.europa.eu/trade/policy/co...under-adoption
    Agreement being adopted or ratified
    In some circumstances trade negotiations with a trade partner have been concluded, but have not been either signed or ratified yet. This means that although the negotiations have finished, no part of the agreement is in place yet.

Country (Region) Agreement pending Status
    Argentina (Mercosur) Mercosur Association Agreement Negotiations concluded in June 2019
    Benin (West Africa) Economic partnership Agreement Signed, awaiting signature from all parties
    Brazil (Mercosur) Mercosur Association Agreement Negotiations concluded in June 2019
    Burkina Faso (West Africa) Economic partnership Agreement Signed, awaiting signature from all parties
    Burundi (EAC) Economic partnership Agreement Has not signed or ratified agreement
    Cabo Verde (West Africa) Economic partnership Agreement Signed, awaiting signature from all parties
    Gambia (West Africa) Economic partnership Agreement Signed, awaiting signature from all parties
    Guinea (West Africa) Economic partnership Agreement Signed, awaiting signature from all parties
    Guinea-Bisseau (West Africa) Economic partnership Agreement Signed, awaiting signature from all parties
    Haiti (CARIFORUM) Preferential trade agreement under adoption/ratification Has not signed or ratified agreement
    Kenya (EAC) Economic partnership Agreement Signed and ratified, provisional application when all EAC countries sign and ratify
    Liberia (West Africa) Economic partnership Agreement Signed, awaiting signature from all parties
    Mali (West Africa) Economic partnership Agreement Signed, awaiting signature from all parties
    Mauritania (West Africa) Economic partnership Agreement Signed, awaiting signature from all parties
    Niger (West Africa) Economic partnership Agreement Signed, awaiting signature from all parties
    Nigeria (West Africa) Economic partnership Agreement Has not signed or ratified agreement
    Paraguay (Mercosur) Mercosur Association Agreement Negotiations concluded in June 2019
    Rwanda (EAC) Economic partnership Agreement Signed, provisional application when all EAC countries sign and ratify
    Senegal (West Africa) Economic partnership Agreement Signed, awaiting signature from all parties
    Sierra Leone (West Africa) Economic partnership Agreement Signed, awaiting signature from all parties
    Tanzania (EAC) Economic partnership Agreement Has not signed or ratified agreement
    Togo (West Africa) Economic partnership Agreement Signed, awaiting signature from all parties
    Uganda (EAC) Economic partnership Agreement Has not signed or ratified agreement
    Uruguay (Mercosur) Mercosur Association Agreement Negotiations concluded in June 2019
    Might as well finish the list with the agreements being negotiated right now:

https://ec.europa.eu/trade/policy/co...ing-negotiated
    Australia Australia Agreement Negotiations launched in 2018
    China EU-China investment agreement Negotiations launched in 2013
    Indonesia Free Trade Agreement Negotiations launched in 2016
    Myanmar Investment protection agreement Negotiations launched in 2015
    New Zealand New Zealand Agreement Negotiations launched in 2018
    Philippines Free Trade Agreement Negotiations launched in 2015
    As for Johnson endangering children, there is a chance of under 40 people dying from Corona. Is it a certainty? No. I never said that. But there are millions of Children in the UK. 2% lethality of Corona in 1 million Children means you're looking at thousands of Children being at least put into IC units for survival, and they might have long term effects/ailments on their lungs for the rest of their lives.

But, we have established before that you're a psychopathic anarchist who wants to see the country burn and people die, so this is just game for the par for you, isn't it.
    Last edited by Slant; 2020-08-27 at 11:16 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Why is CETA not listed? Awesome "facts" you got there. This is an overview over existing trade agreements or trade agreements being negotiated/about to be negotiated:

Actually, let's show you the list: <SNIP>
    CETA? One word for that Halloumi. Cyprus Halloumied it for the EU, so no that doesn't yet count. You sniffed at the special case for British Stilton re Japan/UK deal, I hope you can now smell the importance of cheese.

And all of the others the EU boast of, apart from the 11 I listed, amount to no more than a loose unratified verbal agreement in principle to buy stuff off each other.

They are not formal legally agreed and fully ratified trade deals, an aspirational exaggerated wish list at best that could also apply to the UK should we wish to deceive our gullible citizens too. Honesty is best no? Tell it how it is.

Covid doesn't have the ability to kill children en masse, you are exaggerating. In fact some wit only this week worked out that people under the age of 40 have more chance of death by meteor strike than from Covid.
    False, or wildly misleading, covid-fatality risk if infected is certainly higher than risk of dying to meteors over the entire life, which is somewhere around 0.001% or 0.0001%
    https://www.nationalgeographic.com/n...bability-odds/

But if you die to a meteor you are unlikely to go alone; it's likely to be a big strike - which explains why people don't know the exact probability.

As for Johnson endangering children, there is a chance of under 40 people dying from Corona. Is it a certainty? No. I never said that. But there are millions of Children in the UK. 2% lethality of Corona in 1 million Children means you're looking at thousands of Children being at least put into IC units for survival, and they might have long term effects/ailments on their lungs for the rest of their lives.
    The fatality under 40 in covid-19 isn't 2% but perhaps 0.04% (or a bit lower) - so 400 per million infected. (It increases with age.)

Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    False, or wildly misleading, covid-fatality risk if infected is certainly higher than risk of dying to meteors over the entire life, which is somewhere around 0.001% or 0.0001%

But if you die to a meteor you are unlikely to go alone; it's likely to be a big strike - which explains why people don't know the exact probability.

The fatality under 40 in covid-19 isn't 2% but perhaps 0.04% (or a bit lower) - so 400 per million infected. (It increases with age.)
    Ok, sure. Let pick 0.04%. That's the fatality for children, right?

Now, tell me what the fatality for their parents is. Their older siblings. Their grandparents. Everyone else they come in contact with. I mean, personally, any unncessary increase in children lethality is bad, I think you'll agree with me there. But thanks for forcing me to actually kill his argument dead.

Not that it mattered really, because he has been uttering nothing but idiotic statements in the entirety of this thread so far. But it feels better to actually destroy him and expose the psychopatic nature of his posts. I mean, I have given up the hope of mods actually doing the public a service, so I guess we'll have to make sure everyone understands that Dribs is not a harmless forum troll. He's someone who wants to see people die and suffer for his amusement.
    Last edited by Slant; 2020-08-27 at 11:30 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post

Considerably lower than 0.04% in fact when referring to school age kids in and taken across the general population.

Professor Calum Semple of the University of Liverpool today says and reports in the BMJ...

"So we looked at roughly two-thirds of all hospital admissions to England, Scotland and Wales over the first wave of the pandemic, so we looked at 69,500 people attending, I think, 280 hospitals. So that is a very big study.

We looked really carefully and did all the numbers, we found that out of that 69,500 there was only 650 children - so 1% of hospital admissions were children. And then of that 1 percent, only six children died. "Now each of these deaths is a huge personal tragedy, of course, but in the bigger picture, this is quite reassuring."

All of the six children that died had pre-existing conditions.

So 6/69,500 = 0.009% chance of death of a child amongst those infected and admitted to hospital. Of course it's even lower than that taken across the healthy general population age range as with so many, the majority perhaps although unknown, covid infections amongst children being asymptomatic and going undetected.

It is quite fair to say there is zero chance of a healthy child with no preconditions dying from covid. There is yet to be a single case of such in the UK.

CETA? One word for that Halloumi. Cyprus Halloumied it for the EU, so no that doesn't yet count. You sniffed at the special case for British Stilton re Japan/UK deal, I hope you can now smell the importance of cheese.

And all of the others the EU boast of, apart from the 11 I listed, amount to no more than a loose unratified verbal agreement in principle to buy stuff off each other.

They are not formal legally agreed and fully ratified trade deals, an aspirational exaggerated wish list at best that could also apply to the UK should we wish to deceive our gullible citizens too. Honesty is best no? Tell it how it is.
    "Look how small the list of trade deals is when I get to define what a trade deal is in the narrowest way I possibly can".

Why can I tell that when it comes to defining the "trade deals" that the UK put in place after Brexit he's going to use a much, much broader definition? Because that's the nature of the Brexiteers; the only way that they can stop Brexit looking like a gigantic fuck up is to lie, cheat and mislead at all times.

"Look how small the list of trade deals is when I get to define what a trade deal is in the narrowest way I possibly can".

Why can I tell that when it comes to defining the "trade deals" that the UK put in place after Brexit he's going to use a much, much broader definition? Because that's the nature of the Brexiteers; the only way that they can stop Brexit looking like a gigantic fuck up is to lie, cheat and mislead at all times.
    It's all he got. It's all he ever had. Silly tricks to confuse the rhetorically challenged. Fact is, he is right in that many agreements are on a small scale. But what he's not mentioning is that while the EU has the foot in the door already and merely needs to expand those small deals whenever they feel like it, the UK has nothing. And nobody else has the amount of agreements in place that the EU does. And the world is realising that the EU is happy to deal with any country, small or big, with small packages or big packages. We do not discriminate at all. And they keep coming back because of that, because the EU is building up a reputation for being fair even to small countries, keeping its word and generally trying to get everyone in on the cooperation.