View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. This poll is closed
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

11 11.96%
    Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    The card game the UK is playing looks more like this:

Make it this

Nah, the UK is playing poker alright... but not like everyone else is:

Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrst View Post
    I mean, at this juncture I'd be fine with moving to Bristol or Bath or somewhere more quiet if work permitted.
    At that juncture it looks like Bristol and Bath are already underwater...
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    At that juncture it looks like Bristol and Bath are already underwater...
    Yeah, well. Aquaman is my bestie, so nyeh.

If we're talking poker here's the UK hand

Here's the EU hand

Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrst View Post
    Yeah, well. Aquaman is my bestie, so nyeh.
    I already live near the coast but also on top of a hill so it will be fun to watch the waters slowly come in over the years. In that morbid way doom and gloom is fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by Monster Hunter View Post
    At some point were probly gonna have to accept were to late to stop global warming now and need to think of managing and adapting to it.

And looking at that map most of the places sunk could probly do with a few millennia under water getting a deep clean

Sucks for Denmark though, or should I say the future Island of Denmark
    Unfortunately for your plans more water in the oceans won't just mean higher water everywhere.

Water has mass and gravitation applies, therefore the baltic sea might actually lose some water when the ice melts as it will be sucked to the pacific.

Sucks for the pacific region...

Quote Originally Posted by Noradin View Post
    Unfortunately for your plans more water in the oceans won't just mean higher water everywhere.

Water has mass and gravitation applies, therefore the baltic sea might actually lose some water when the ice melts as it will be sucked to the pacific.

Sucks for the pacific region...
    err i think you need to read what you posted and have a long think about it.

Noradin is actually right. Sounds wierd, but yeah. Anyone has any Arcologies by that time? Netherlands will be totally ripperoni by then

Quote Originally Posted by Fuiking View Post
    Noradin is actually right. Sounds wierd, but yeah. Anyone has any Arcologies by that time? Netherlands will be totally ripperoni by then
    I mean, the Netherlands are by now some of the world's best dam builders... I wouldn't worry about them.

I am curious about the whole water not being equal thing, though. What are the height differences we're talking about here?
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    I mean, the Netherlands are by now some of the world's best dam builders... I wouldn't worry about them.

I am curious about the whole water not being equal thing, though. What are the height differences we're talking about here?
    There are two aspects there I think. Some land is expected to sink or settle as a result of sea level rising, while some is actually rise (greenland?) as a result of the loss of the weight of ice which melted. The other aspect is that as big sheets of ice melt, the local mass gets lower and water levels might drop.
    It's hard to say what will happen where, but it's safe to say things will be more fucked up and unpredictable than a uniform rise in sea levels.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Demolitia View Post
    There are two aspects there I think. Some land is expected to sink or settle as a result of sea level rising, while some is actually rise (greenland?) as a result of the loss of the weight of ice which melted. The other aspect is that as big sheets of ice melt, the local mass gets lower and water levels might drop.
    It's hard to say what will happen where, but it's safe to say things will be more fucked up and unpredictable than a uniform rise in sea levels.
    The specific signatures and densities of the earths crust also change the gravitic pull on everything, even if I believe it's slightly more noticable on water than on most other stuff since it's... a fairly obvious fluid we've got to deal with. More dense air isn't that noticable.

Source of picture
    So, assuming lots of complicated math, water would potentially get lower at some places than it currently is because science gets weird.

I also think that to some very slight degrees the tension created by the earths spin also affects it. But that might be my far not sufficient physics missremembering.
    - Lars

Quote Originally Posted by Fuiking View Post
    I'm pretty sure most of the Netherlands was taken from the sea anyway, no big deal for them.

- - - Updated - - -

The Pacific ocean is a bit higher than the Atlantic, about 2ft according to some estimates.

Quote Originally Posted by Muzjhath View Post
    The specific signatures and densities of the earths crust also change the gravitic pull on everything, even if I believe it's slightly more noticable on water than on most other stuff since it's... a fairly obvious fluid we've got to deal with. More dense air isn't that noticable.

Source of picture
    So, assuming lots of complicated math, water would potentially get lower at some places than it currently is because science gets weird.

I also think that to some very slight degrees the tension created by the earths spin also affects it. But that might be my far not sufficient physics missremembering.
    Thanks for adding this. So ... yeah. We know it will be a fucking disaster, but not really how and where until it happens.
    Let's start over evolution at the clam stage and hope we don't fuck it up this time. Maybe Dribbles won't happen in the next cycle.

Land that is connected to the continents' shelves (ie. most land) isn't going to rise or sink. It is the waterlevel that is changing, not the land elevation. Greenland, if it's connected to the crust of the Earth, isn't going to rise because it weighs less. Not in any significant way, at least.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Muzjhath View Post

Source of picture
    Yeah it is. Close a plastic bottle on top of a mountain and go into the valley, see how noticeable that is. Not to speak about aviation in general.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    The Pacific ocean is a bit higher than the Atlantic, about 2ft according to some estimates.
    Ah, interesting, and this is because of gravity having a bigger pull on the Atlantic side? It is obvious once you think about the potatoe shape Earth has, but still something to wrap your head around.

Land that is connected to the continents' shelves (ie. most land) isn't going to rise or sink. It is the waterlevel that is changing, not the land elevation. Greenland, if it's connected to the crust of the Earth, isn't going to rise because it weighs less. Not in any significant way, at least.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah it is. Close a plastic bottle on top of a mountain and go into the valley, see how noticeable that is. Not to speak about aviation in general.

- - - Updated - - -

Ah, interesting, and this is because of gravity having a bigger pull on the Atlantic side? It is obvious once you think about the potatoe shape Earth has, but still something to wrap your head around.
    The crust is many detached pieces. And a significant bit of melting ice shhet is a big change of density and mass, therefore gravity pull. The moon's pull affects the oceans, but also the earth's crust and shape, even if in a minor way. You are a bit quick to dismiss the combined effect of all the stuff we just discussed.

The crust is many detached pieces. And a significant bit of melting ice shhet is a big change of density and mass, therefore gravity pull. The moon's pull affects the oceans, but also the earth's crust and shape, even if in a minor way. You are a bit quick to dismiss the combined effect of all the stuff we just discussed.
    I think you are overestimating the mass of ice in comparison to rock. Is the ice on greenland significant? Sure, in some aspects. Is it significant enough to weigh down Greenland by more than milimeters at most? Probably not. Feel free to support your claim with posts, though, it would blow my mind.

I think you are overestimating the mass of ice in comparison to rock. Is the ice on greenland significant? Sure, in some aspects. Is it significant enough to weigh down Greenland by more than milimeters at most? Probably not. Feel free to support your claim with posts, though, it would blow my mind.
    The burden of proof is on those who are less dumb than Slant to prove how dumb he is. Trumpologic.

Milimeters of Greenland going up is a massive change for the Netherlands. Earth is not a solid marble. It's solid scraps floating on mostly lava surrounded by liquid water on most of its surface. You joked earlier about it being potato shaped but it's a more complex system than you seem to imply. Start with wikipedia but if you want a serious talk on this, start another thread.

Its a couple of years old but https://climatenewsnetwork.net/green...e-sheet-melts/ mentions up to 12 mm's rise in height per year from the shrinking glacier.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death