View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. This poll is closed
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

11 11.96%
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaydin View Post
    Why do you keep feeding him and giving him the attention he wants? You know Dribbles will never admit that he is wrong, lying or being a hypocrite. It's a waste of time and energy.
    Because replies to him inform people like me who don't know all the ins and outs of EU (and UK) politics and the EU economy. I've learned a LOT from these discussions, a little from what Dribbles writes, and a LOT from replies to what he writes.

And the EU posters have done an awesome job of both explaining some of the dynamics of the EU economy and EU power struggles, and also selling the benefits of why they do certain things. The US media only reports extensively on EU activities if it makes EU look bad, and so the EU posters are not only pushing back against Dribbles but they are pushing back against the entire US media.

And not surprisingly, I have learned more here from the EU posters about the way things are done in EU than from all the crap that the US media has written about them. Like the real story behind bendy bananas, for one example. I am happy that Dribbles presents much of the same crap that our own media throws at EU, and gives the EU posters a chance and motivation to present the EU point of view.

Edit: The worst part of Dribbles posting is that he makes the UK look really really bad. I have to remind myself that he does not represent all of the UK.
    Last edited by Omega10; 2020-11-09 at 01:52 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why do you keep feeding him and giving him the attention he wants? You know Dribbles will never admit that he is wrong, lying or being a hypocrite. It's a waste of time and energy.
    Because if we don't someone might believe him.

And also it's funny.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    The fact the EU has no plans in place for this with the clock ticking, is panicking and hasn't prepared for no deal is not the fault of the UK, Boris or Theresa.
    The EU has been ready for a no deal since the start.

As Omega10 so kindly put it. I don't argue with Dribbles. I correct his blatant lies so that others who come into threads like these don't see the lies without counterpoint and make the mistake of believing them.

- - - Updated - - -

Semantics really. Whether the WA belonged to Theresa or Boris one thing is for sure it was also owned by the EU. It placed certain obligations on both sides one of the most important being the parties should negotiate in good faith and with best endeavors.

Of course the UK has always adhered to that condition and the EU by failing to do so has broken the WA. The new UK Internal Market Bill has been introduced to counter that EU failure and is part of the comprehensive plans the UK has to embrace no deal if necessary.

The fact the EU has no plans in place for this with the clock ticking, is panicking and hasn't prepared for no deal is not the fault of the UK, Boris or Theresa.

And the Irish border question? A dear Mr President has just been sent.

As we leave the EU we have no plans to impose a hard border between the U.K. and the Republic of Ireland, contrary to false EU rumours. It is the EU which seems to be planning new border controls on their side of the border which you may like to take up with them.

https://johnredwoodsdiary.com/2020/1...r-to-mr-biden/

Now, as you can clearly see, our American friends are fully informed of the facts.
    Yeah, the evil EU for making plans to protect their borders in case the UK fails to uphold their part of the Withdraw agreement which had the border located in the Irish sea instead of between Ireland and Northern-Ireland.
    Which, again, was the only way Boris could get his Agreement through parliament, by effectively placing Northern-Ireland outside the UK there was no need for a backstop to protect the Good Friday Agreement.

There is a dispute mechanic within the Withdraw Agreement, one the EU has already invoked as a result of the new UK law. Funny how the UK didn't try to use that when they found the EU wasn't "acting in good faith". Probably because they would have to come up with proof and the internal memo's from the negotiations will paint a very different picture.

And the notion that the EU is not prepared for a no deal is simply hilarious. The EU's electronic customs system is up and running, the UK's hasn't even started yet I believe.
    The Dutch Customs authority started training an additional 900 personal 2 years ago in preparation for a hard brexit.
    We'll be fine.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Driibbles dribbles dribbles... Tell me, why is UK again doing talks with EU? Didn't Boris already say that there is no point and it is over?

Oh oh let me guess - they are mercifully stepping forwards for the poor EU, riiiight?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    Driibbles dribbles dribbles... Tell me, why is UK again doing talks with EU? Didn't Boris already say that there is no point and it is over?

Oh oh let me guess - they are mercifully stepping forwards for the poor EU, riiiight?
    They keep coming to London to harass us that's why.

For those outsiders looking in who want a perfect example of everything wrong with the EU here is todays.

BRUSSELS (Reuters) - The European Union will soon sign a contract for millions of doses of the COVID-19 vaccine being developed by Pfizer.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUKKBN27P1VQ

Why has it not been done already by the EU? The UK has already signed the deal months ago to supply tens of millions of Pfizer doses, the EU will do it soon? What does soon mean? Next week, month, year? Is the curvature of the vaccine not right? So glad we left the EMA who seem to be holding things up when leaving the EU. The mind boggles how anyone can defend them.

Stay safe eurochums.
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

Because they have already been talking for a while and there is no real rush so long as the vaccine isn't market ready in the first place?
    There were exploratory talks back in September https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-re...-million-doses

And how is the EMA 'holding things up'. There is no vaccine yet to hold up. They are looking at the data and the vaccine (as well as several other companies version) is being fast tracked for approval.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

For those outsiders looking in who want a perfect example of everything wrong with the EU here is todays.

BRUSSELS (Reuters) - The European Union will soon sign a contract for millions of doses of the COVID-19 vaccine being developed by Pfizer.

Why has it not been done already by the EU? The UK has already signed the deal months ago to supply tens of millions of Pfizer doses, the EU will do it soon? What does soon mean? Next week, month, year? Is the curvature of the vaccine not right? So glad we left the EMA who seem to be holding things up when leaving the EU. The mind boggles how anyone can defend them.

Stay safe eurochums.
    Ah now EU is coming to harrass you with trade talks and the UK thus has resumed them. Tell me - why does it sound so stupid and why do you not see that?

Also, the fuck this gotta do with Covid vaccines? You are also forgetting that all big countries have their own versions being made.
    Pfizer will absolutely clearly not supply the whole world (1.3 billion doses until the end of next year when each person needs 2 is obviously not enough), other companies will be used.
    Last edited by Easo; 2020-11-09 at 08:32 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

10+ Year Old Account

Stay safe eurochums.
    Let's assume the vaccine is 100% effective (it isn't, but let's assume).
    There's still the safety to consider, and the fact that other manufacturers are working on the same thing. We don't need to buy from Pfizer

Also "coming to harass you".. You do realize you don't have to let them into the building, or pick up when they call?

As we leave the EU we have no plans to impose a hard border between the U.K. and the Republic of Ireland, contrary to false EU rumours. It is the EU which seems to be planning new border controls on their side of the border which you may like to take up with them.

* UK leaves the EU to take back control of its borders from the EU.
    * UK gives control of its borders to the EU less than a year after leaving and before the interim deal expires.

Top negotiation skills right there.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler to Baby Sloths View Post
    * UK leaves the EU to take back control of its borders from the EU.
    * UK gives control of its borders to the EU less than a year after leaving and before the interim deal expires.

Top negotiation skills right there.
    Leaving was never the option.

Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    Ah now EU is coming to harrass you with trade talks and the UK thus has resumed them. Tell me - why does it sound so stupid and why do you not see that?
    And additionally: the complaint was that the uk government was being harassed by foreigners in the uk.

It's amazing how that "taking back control" thing is working out.

- - - Updated - - -

Since brexit is about trade I was wondering where Pfizer is making the vaccine.
    The answer is Michigan and Belgium - with 150 people being hired in Puurs, Belgium.

https://www.brusselstimes.com/news/b...koen-colpaert/

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    And additionally: the complaint was that the uk government was being harassed by foreigners in the uk.

It's amazing how that "taking back control" thing is working out.

- - - Updated - - -

Since brexit is about trade I was wondering where Pfizer is making the vaccine.
    The answer is Michigan and Belgium - with 150 people being hired in Puurs, Belgium.

https://www.brusselstimes.com/news/b...koen-colpaert/
    Do you think there will enough global demand such that there will be a queue for this vaccine? I'm glad the newly independent and sovereign UK got their order in months ago, /three cheers for brexit, so we are at the front. Hopefully the EU will do a deal with Pfizer soon hey? Back of the queue, due to the EU delays signing for it though I guess.

In other news today a lesson for the EU on fishing...

UK and Greenland strengthen cooperation on fisheries

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/u...n-on-fisheries

That's the way to do it eurochums, quickly and easily with both sides using good faith and best endeavours. Just like the now defunct WA says, do you think Barnier has even read it?
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

What I find fascinating is Dribbles' dedication to keep this thread going.

It's like 1 guy standing on the street corner shouting nonsense for 16 hours a day, 7 days a week and a crowd of people trying to refute the illogical nonsense.

Why bother?

Do you think there will enough global demand such that there will be a queue for this vaccine? I'm glad the newly independent and sovereign UK got their order in months ago, /three cheers for brexit, so we are at the front. Hopefully the EU will do a deal with Pfizer soon hey? Back of the queue, due to the EU delays signing for it though I guess.

In other news today a lesson for the EU on fishing...

UK and Greenland strengthen cooperation on fisheries

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/u...n-on-fisheries

That's the way to do it eurochums, quickly and easily with both sides using good faith and best endeavours. Just like the now defunct WA says, do you think Barnier has even read it?
    1, you’re a fool if you think the UK will receive vaccines for every single brit. As others wrote, the supply will not be able to follow demand, and the EU is betting on several horses.

2, what do you think that greenland deal will accomplish? FWIW Greenland have been coorperating with the EU for decades, and it’s only gaining traction.

But please do celebrate ‘deals’ with Greenland and Kenya lol.

Btw BioNtech is located in Germany, and they do not expect more than some 25 mill vaccines this year. Good luck with that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crispin View Post
    2, what do you think that greenland deal will accomplish? FWIW Greenland have been coorperating with the EU for decades, and it’s only gaining traction.

But please do celebrate ‘deals’ with Greenland and Kenya lol.
    Greenland is "part" of the EU already though, in that it kinda sorta belongs to Denmark, which is part of the EU, so they want to play nice with Denmark, which means playing nice with the EU.

I just love coming into this thread year after year, seeing the "10 days remaining" sign at the top of the poll. What a perfect metaphor for Brexit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

1, you’re a fool if you think the UK will receive vaccines for every single brit. As others wrote, the supply will not be able to follow demand, and the EU is betting on several horses.
    And the uk only ordered 30 million doses, and you need 2 doses per person, i.e. doses for 15 million persons. Even though brexit have lead some to jump ship I still don't think that will be enough. And it's not clear when they will be delivered.
    EU has been negotiating for 200+100 million.

The US is buying a lot more, and allegedly 40 million doses already this year; early on the deal was 100+500 million; might be more now.

Btw BioNtech is located in Germany, and they do not expect more than some 25 mill vaccines this year. Good luck with that.
    The manufacturing isn't in Germany though.
    Additionally the full name of the company is relevant for this thread as it is BioNTech SE, where SE means Societas Europaea, a company registered according to EU law, not specifically German law (as GmbH).

The manufacturing is done by Pfizer in Belgium, and the vaccine seem to need excessive cooling - so I don't know what will happen if there are any customs delays...

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Greenland is "part" of the EU already though, in that it kinda sorta belongs to Denmark, which is part of the EU, so they want to play nice with Denmark, which means playing nice with the EU.
    Greenland chose to not be in the EU.. that choice should be respected

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account

you're the one leaving, not us. For most Europeans, it's going to be business as usual. Most European i know look at the Brexit thing with an amused eye. I guess some business having dealings with the UK might have some concerns, and the Irish, but beyond that, it's off you go now lad.

1337 pages... nice...

I love how the topic name is still entirely relevant.