View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. This poll is closed
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

11 11.96%
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    [I]EU car manufacturers are starting to panic:- “The stakes are high for the EU auto industry – we absolutely must have an ambitious EU-UK trade agreement in place by January. Otherwise our sector – already reeling from the COVID crisis – will be hit hard by a double whammy.”
    - Director General, European Automobile Manufacturers' Association, 14 Sept 2020
    You are failing at the basic fact checks about england and the uk by citing "disinformation 4 brexiters".

As stated he is the head of European Automobile Manufacturers.

Among its members is an Indian-owned (yes, happy Diwali and all) car company located in the uk, Jaguar Land Rover. So, he is not saying that EU will be hard bit by that - but all their members, including JLR, which will be hit by as JLR is part of an integrated industry with suppliers across Europe. Since most of the European suppliers are outside the uk, and the due trade deals rules about external parts it is likely to hit JLR worse than the others (especially for electrical cars).

Tragic that EU companies won't have as easy access to the UK "treasure island" any more isn't it. As they export more to us than we to them, they will be hit hardest by a no deal. They need us more than we need them as you can see, so thank you for that link proving the point. Presumably those same ports are used for the imports of EU made cars.
    I'll make this easy for you; Germany doesn't find it so easy to sell cars to us. We can't get the imported food that we need as a country. One of those things is worse than the other. Can you guess which one it is?

Still, I'm sure we'll all be happy knowing that the BMW dividend gets slashed as we starve to death.

Are you even trying anymore? This feels pretty low energy, even by your standards.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    You are failing at the basic fact checks about england and the uk by citing "disinformation 4 brexiters".

As stated he is the head of European Automobile Manufacturers.

Among its members is an Indian-owned (yes, happy Diwali and all) car company located in the uk, Jaguar Land Rover. So, he is not saying that EU will be hard bit by that - but all their members, including JLR, which will be hit by as JLR is part of an integrated industry with suppliers across Europe. Since most of the European suppliers are outside the uk, and the due trade deals rules about external parts it is likely to hit JLR worse than the others (especially for electrical cars).
    Yeah, but, you're forgetting that the UK isn't part of Europe and therefore you're wrong!
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Yeah, but, you're forgetting that the UK isn't part of Europe and therefore you're wrong!
    Ah, yes! Stupid me, forgot that.

Tragic that EU companies won't have as easy access to the UK "treasure island" any more isn't it. As they export more to us than we to them, they will be hit hardest by a no deal. They need us more than we need them as you can see, so thank you for that link proving the point. Presumably those same ports are used for the imports of EU made cars.

EU car manufacturers are starting to panic:- “The stakes are high for the EU auto industry – we absolutely must have an ambitious EU-UK trade agreement in place by January. Otherwise our sector – already reeling from the COVID crisis – will be hit hard by a double whammy.”
    - Director General, European Automobile Manufacturers' Association, 14 Sept 2020

https://facts4eu.org/news/2020_nov_eu_carmakers_panic

When millions of EU workers are jobless, starving and homeless because the EU refused to do a brexit trade deal I hope a long hard look is taken by eurochums as to the benefits and costs of EU membership and whether they would be better off themselves outside.

You know you don't have british car makes anymore, right? Are you gonna back to riding penny-farthings? Or just buy more expensive cars?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Demolitia View Post
    You know you don't have british car makes anymore, right? Are you gonna back to riding penny-farthings? Or just buy more expensive cars?
    Aston Martin, Bentley, Mini, Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Lotus, Rolls Royce, Jaguar, Land Rover, Vauxhall. All have models made in the UK. Honda UK making cars in Swindon then exporting them should be classed as Japanese exports? Quite a long list there wouldn't you say.

Plenty of choice No need for penny-farthings lol
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

Aston Martin, Bentley, Mini, Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Lotus, Rolls Royce, Jaguar, Land Rover, Vauxhall. All have models made in the UK. Honda UK making cars in Swindon then exporting them should be classed as Japanese exports? Quite a long list there wouldn't you say.

Made in the UK? Or assembled in the UK? I'm pretty sure most (all?) of those put parts together so that cars come out of the end of it, but I'd struggle to define them as makers on that basis. Unless the people that buy from Ikea are "making" furniture?

And how many of those rely on JIT delivery processes? I'm going to guess all of them. Which means once the glorious Brexit is delivered they have a simple choice; stay in the UK and have their Business processes utterly fucked. Or move to the EU. I wonder which they will choose?

Once again the Brexit supporter does badly with the details as they try and paint a picture of the glorious future. It's seems to be a common trait. It's no good having a vision of where you want to get to without a proper plan to get there. Driving off a cliff might get you to the beach, but you won't be in any shape to enjoy it.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
    Made in the UK? Or assembled in the UK? I'm pretty sure most (all?) of those put parts together so that cars come out of the end of it, but I'd struggle to define them as makers on that basis. Unless the people that buy from Ikea are "making" furniture?

And how many of those rely on JIT delivery processes? I'm going to guess all of them. Which means once the glorious Brexit is delivered they have a simple choice; stay in the UK and have their Business processes utterly fucked. Or move to the EU. I wonder which they will choose?

Once again the Brexit supporter does badly with the details as they try and paint a picture of the glorious future. It's seems to be a common trait. It's no good having a vision of where you want to get to without a proper plan to get there. Driving off a cliff might get you to the beach, but you won't be in any shape to enjoy it.
    Stop wasting your time on responding to the guy, man. He doesn't have a clue what he's talking about.

And all of them dependent on imports from the EU and further abroad to actually build the cars.

10+ Year Old Account

Yep car makers highly dependent on parts moving from country to country, it's done so to reduce costs and not create excess parts nobody needs. This means a good logistics in place. So once the UK is out production will be simply moved elsewhere as you can't have an entire plant waiting on a parts from another nation.

Unless people in the UK are okay with only working some of time and getting paid some of the time also in those jobs, i mean if they end up getting really flexible and screwing themselves over sure.

That's also excluding the whole hassle of a tariff that is going to be added in a no deal situation.

ps: production will most likely not be moved to the EU but elsewhere were it is cheaper.
    “My philosophy is: It’s none of my business what people say of me and think of me. I am what I am and I do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. And it makes life so much easier.
    ― Anthony Hopkins

Assembled in the UK and like many businesses rely on just in time delivery from Europe and around the world.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    ps: production will most likely not be moved to the EU but elsewhere were it is cheaper.
    This I'd say depend if it's parts or final assembly. Final assembly is more likely to happen in Europe to get around tarrifs and lower costs of transport.
    - Lars

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrst View Post
    Stop wasting your time on responding to the guy, man. He doesn't have a clue what he's talking about.
    As has been said a million times: Ignoring him might give new readers the wrongful impression that he's right

And besides, if we ignored him he'd leave, we'd lose our entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    Assembled in the UK and like many businesses rely on just in time delivery from Europe and around the world.
    Which is the problem here. Brexit will fuck up supply chains because theres no longer freedom of movement for goods. That means its simpler to get people on the continent to assemble the cars now.

This is more like whats really happening in the UK atm.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54908129
    Last edited by Deja Thoris; 2020-11-15 at 08:19 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    Which is the problem here. Brexit will fuck up supply chains because theres no longer freedom of movement for goods. That means its simpler to get people on the continent to assemble the cars now.

This is more like whats really happening in the UK atm.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54908129
    But I thought rubes like Dribbles insisted that Brexit was great for the UK and that they would reap endless benefits for sawing their own arms off while the EU would get nothing but pain while watching the UKs aforementioned self-inflicted wounds.
    "If you are ever asking yourself 'Is Trump lying or is he stupid?', the answer is most likely C: All of the Above" - Seth Meyers

7+ Year Old Account

Your pessimism is misplaced as Nissan announce this week new £140 million investment in Sunderland launching the fresh Quashqai next year, try to be a half glass full kinda guy instead of a half glass empty? The world and brexit will be a better place for you...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-54931105

Just in time is a nonsense. Pop in to any VW dealer and try to order a new Polo for example with a few extras added to a standard spec. You will be waiting 6 months for delivery, a month of which is spent traversing the oceans as it ships from the other side of the world in S. Africa. That's not just in time now is it...

And you brought up food earlier, I see ARLA the Danish makers of Lurpak are crying about excessive no deal tariffs on the BBC this morning. Simple solution, shut down the Danish EU factory, sacking the EU employees, and open a manufacturing plant in the UK employing British workers. Make the product here and avoid the tariffs. More brexit benefits for the UK and win win for all here. /three cheers for brexit.

Or of course if the EU were working for the benefit of EU citizens, clearly it is not, they could just do the damn deal.
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Just in time is a nonsense. Pop in to any VW dealer and try to order a new Polo for example with a few extras added to a standard spec. You will be waiting 6 months for delivery, a month of which is spent traversing the oceans as it ships from the other side of the world in S. Africa. That's not just in time now is it...
    Umm, that's exactly what JiT is and means. Produced after exact demand. Instead of producing 400 products and letting them stand getting old to be sold. They are produced after order. Hence everything needs to be shipped per order. Instead of everyone getting a black model T.
    - Lars

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Muzjhath View Post
    Umm, that's exactly what JiT is and means. Produced after exact demand. Instead of producing 400 products and letting them stand getting old to be sold. They are produced after order. Hence everything needs to be shipped per order. Instead of everyone getting a black model T.
    I was trying to illustrate how a few extra days stuck in Felixstowe is an irrelevance when from order to delivery can take many many months.

Project fear remainers making a big deal out of nothing once again. The more difficult it is to access the UK market, the more incentive there is to bypass those difficulties and manufacture product locally at the expense of foreign employees.

Some customers will say I'm not waiting 6 months for a foreign produced car, i'll buy an equivalent locally produced model that I can have just in time to me as the customer tomorrow as my old car is fubar and needs replacing right now. I hope that clarifies...

10+ Year Old Account
    And you brought up food earlier, I see ARLA the Danish makers of Lurpak are crying about excessive no deal tariffs on the BBC this morning. Simple solution, shut down the Danish EU factory, sacking the EU employees, and open a manufacturing plant in the UK employing British workers. Make the product here and avoid the tariffs. More brexit benefits for the UK and win win for all here. /three cheers for brexit.
    But then they wouldn't be able to sell in Denmark without tarriffs.. Or the rest of the EU?

That just doesn't make any sense.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    But then they wouldn't be able to sell in Denmark without tarriffs.. Or the rest of the EU?

That just doesn't make any sense.
    Arla does produce some products in the UK.. They could probably produce Lurpak in britain as well but i am not convinced it would be the same product they ended up with, i suspect cows milk is not just cows milk