View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. This poll is closed
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

11 11.96%
    Countries like Liechtenstein which are part of the European Free Trade Agreement and European Economic Area follow a lot of EU regulations to have access to the single market
    While they are free to make their own trade agreements, like with the UK, any goods that enter the country will still need to meet EU regulations because they are entering the EU single market

As such trade between the UK and Liechtenstein would still be subject to EU rules for anything moving to Liechtenstein.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    Countries like Liechtenstein which are part of the European Free Trade Agreement and European Economic Area follow a lot of EU regulations to have access to the single market
    While they are free to make their own trade agreements, like with the UK, any goods that enter the country will still need to meet EU regulations because they are entering the EU single market

As such trade between the UK and Liechtenstein would still be subject to EU rules for anything moving to Liechtenstein.
    So either we have to produce things that we sell to Liechtenstein according to EU rules (that we no longer have a say in). Or anything we sell that doesn't meet that criteria would have to face additional red tape to ensure it isn't sold on into the EU proper? Or would Liechtenstein likely ban any such items, because the larger trade deal they have with the EU taking precedence?

Any of our more informed posters know which it is?
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
    So either we have to produce things that we sell to Liechtenstein according to EU rules (that we no longer have a say in). Or anything we sell that doesn't meet that criteria would have to face additional red tape to ensure it isn't sold on into the EU proper? Or would Liechtenstein likely ban any such items, because the larger trade deal they have with the EU taking precedence?

Any of our more informed posters know which it is?
    Its dated 2014 but https://www.efta.int/media/publicati...sFactSheet.pdf talks about it.

If I understand it right there are multiple classifications.
    Some goods are harmonized across the EU and EEA and have replaced national regulations, so any such goods that you import into Liechtenstein have to meet EU regulations (things like toys, construction material, pharmaceuticals ect)
    Food is also covered under the EEA (and in the case of Liechtenstein via the EU-Swiss treaty) but the EEA document is some 200 pages so fuck reading that for fun.

For goods not covered by harmonization regulations if an EEA member accepts it then you can sell it in other EEA nations but free trade (no tariffs) only apply if the product was made inside the EEA so there would still be the same tariffs as if you sold it across the channel to France.

Its dated 2014 but https://www.efta.int/media/publicati...sFactSheet.pdf talks about it.

If I understand it right there are multiple classifications.
    Some goods are harmonized across the EU and EEA and have replaced national regulations, so any such goods that you import into Liechtenstein have to meet EU regulations (things like toys, construction material, pharmaceuticals ect)
    Food is also covered under the EEA (and in the case of Liechtenstein via the EU-Swiss treaty) but the EEA document is some 200 pages so fuck reading that for fun.

For goods not covered by harmonization regulations if an EEA member accepts it then you can sell it in other EEA nations but free trade (no tariffs) only apply if the product was made inside the EEA so there would still be the same tariffs as if you sold it across the channel to France.
    So if our resident burner sees this as a backdoor way to sell things cheaper into the EU, he's mistaken. No surprise there.

So I guess all our Brexiteer pals will be able to celebrate is being able to continue to trade with mighty Lichtenstein. I'm sure that's going to make up for the billions in trade we're losing with the EU. Somehow.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
    So if our resident burner sees this as a backdoor way to sell things cheaper into the EU, he's mistaken. No surprise there.

So I guess all our Brexiteer pals will be able to celebrate is being able to continue to trade with mighty Lichtenstein. I'm sure that's going to make up for the billions in trade we're losing with the EU. Somehow.
    They're celebrating getting trade agreements they already had but in worse. The only thing they have to show for so far is Australia and well that's not a major one by any kind of definition. The other thing they hope for is TPP. The problem is of course the EU already has trade agreements with more than half of the TPP member countries so there's that.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    They're celebrating getting trade agreements they already had but in worse. The only thing they have to show for so far is Australia and well that's not a major one by any kind of definition. The other thing they hope for is TPP. The problem is of course the EU already has trade agreements with more than half of the TPP member countries so there's that.
    Hm... Just to clarify since I haven't been keeping up with current geography - is the uk located in the southern pacific? Because then everything would make sense.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    Hm... Just to clarify since I haven't been keeping up with current geography - is the uk located in the southern pacific? Because then everything would make sense.
    It certainly would explain their disdain for being called European.
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

TPP (with the US) is not going to happen until the Irish problem is solved. The US stated that repeatedly. So that thing won't save them anytime soon.

- - - Updated - - -

The sun doesn't set in the British Empire. That is, the British Empire is everywhere and absolutely need to be part of the TPP. You can't have random nations in British territory have treaties that the British aren't allowed to be part of. How preposterous!
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

yeah ever since Dribbles first talked about the UK joining the TPP I have been wonder why the UK is looking to join a pact of Asian countries, and why those countries would want the UK to join.

15+ Year Old Account
    yeah ever since Dribbles first talked about the UK joining the TPP I have been wonder why the UK is looking to join a pact of Asian countries, and why those countries would want the UK to join.
    Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Chile, and Peru are part of the TPP so it's not just Asian countries. Doesn't change the fact that they're still not really close though.

To Burner Account #34753 (because quoting you will probably just get my reply edited anyway) which is worse? "Disdain" (from the EU) or Self-loathing (Brexit a.k.a. Project Fear)?

For those people still replying to our resident burner (regardless of the fact their words vanish like piss in the wind) I offer this relevant quote:

Quote Originally Posted by Amber Veal
    Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point.
    And if there is one thing that our friend has taught us, it's that they aren't mentally mature.

Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Chile, and Peru are part of the TPP so it's not just Asian countries. Doesn't change the fact that they're still not really close though.
    yeah I should have said 'countries around the Pacific (hence the name). The UK is not anywhere near the Pacific Ocean.

yeah I should have said 'countries around the Pacific (hence the name). The UK is not anywhere near the Pacific Ocean.
    But the UK has the Pitcairn Islands they're in the Pacific! (Note I'm basically using a brexiteer logic here of something incredibly insane being used as an excuse)

15+ Year Old Account
    Numbers without context are worthless.

Especially when there are conclusions posted at the end that make no sense at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    --
    That's nice, except total trade value isn't calculated as a function of GDP - and even by the metrics that are actually used you're still lagging behind Germany, let alone the entire EU.

And the numbers are still meaningless and lacking context since there's no evidence that said trade value would be any less if Brexit hadn't happened. Lol.
    Last edited by Rozz; 2021-07-11 at 02:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

15+ Year Old Account
    I take intelligent sounding but ultimately meaningless sentences for 200.

"Numbers represent best known measurements against total trade value."

--
    In May the UK trade figures (in and out) were about £100bn. So call that £1.2 trillion for the year. In 2019 (the last year you can probably treat as "realistic") global trade exports ALONE were worth $19 trillion.

Your suggestion that the UK is responsible for 25% of global trade is laughable. So I'll happily ignore anything else you post on that basis.

From the figures above, the UK looks to be about 3.15% of exports, based on May exports being £50bn. That's as close as I can estimate for our slice of the pi (see what I did there?)
    Last edited by Rozz; 2021-07-11 at 02:15 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UKTradeFacts View Post
    The UK has sought to reproduce the effects of trading agreements that previously applied to it to ensure continuity for UK business.
    Funny, because this could have very easily been accomplished by remaining. Lul.

You're admitting Brexit has been disruptive and has failed to recoup its costs thus far.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    --
    Uh huh, and "officially" y'all are still trailing Germany.

No, we don't. Especially considering you got that fee back and then some in the form of the rebate plus all the EU benefits.

I mean technically speaking a lie isn't an opinion if the speaker themselves doesn't believe it, so you're correct there.
    Last edited by Rozz; 2021-07-11 at 02:13 PM.