View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. This poll is closed
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

11 11.96%
    Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    Guess he's one of the people wanting a hard Brexit because this is never going to happen.
    That's Jacob Rees-Mogg he not only wants a hard Brexit but wants to take the UK back to 1860.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I am not sure that is even something that can be done. The same volume of trade CANNOT continue without the proper bilateral agreements. These do not need to be the EFTA or membership in the Customs Union of course but bilateral trade agreements strong enough to allow trade without regulatory rigor takes years, possible a decade, of negotiations to form.
    Considering how short the transition is, suggesting that we can continue the same volume of trade and just find a way to process it is not rational. I believe a frictionless transition is possible, if the UK had clear red lines, if they were allowed to join the Customs Union for a specific duration (say 5-6 years) with a provision that they can freely negotiate future agreements as long as those do NOT come into effect until their exit from the CU and use that period of time to draft both a trade agreement with the EU and similar ones with other trade partners, such that regulatory conformity is observed to a sufficient degree.
    This is not just infrastructure, both sides would need to double their competencies in conformity assurance. Is there even enough specialized personnel for this? We are talking about labs with expensive instruments and people with STEM degrees and experience in specific industries. They don't grow in trees.
    Yup, it's mess, isn't it.

As for these people with STEM degrees they sound a lot like experts and we have no place for them in a post Brexit UK!

I mean here to be able to sign certain certificates of conformance you need the proper engineering degree. I doubt the UK is different, for all of talk of Brexit the concept of assurance was BORN there.
    Sorry - it was a joke relating to Michael Gove stating, in the run up to the referendum, that everyone had enough of experts - it's a UK thing.

Deleted
    I mean here to be able to sign certain certificates of conformance you need the proper engineering degree. I doubt the UK is different, for all of talk of Brexit the concept of assurance was BORN there.
    That sounds suspiciously like EU conceived red tape regulation that should be scrapped post brexit!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    Sorry - it was a joke relating to Michael Gove stating, in the run up to the referendum, that everyone had enough of experts - it's a UK thing.

In case anyone wants to see it. (1.02)
    Last edited by mmocfd561176b9; 2018-02-03 at 07:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GoblinP View Post
    That sounds suspiciously like EU conceived red tape regulation that should be scrapped post brexit!

- - - Updated - - -

In case anyone want's to see it. (1.02)
    1:02. The moment my head went through 50 tables as I faced desk. The moment the result happened = the time majority of those who were allowed to vote proved they hate intelligence and want to be poor and stupid.

I mean if they demand to hold the EU hostage for the transition period, drop the transition period.
    I'm willing to give them that veto. In exchange, I would like the EU to retain a veto over the question whether or not Britain can leave the EU. Fair's fair!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ranzino View Post
    well, technically UK is the hostage here; they have no say in anything during transition. it is even plausible they want a veto, but EU can counter that by axing the transition then upon any veto.
    Typically, hostages don't create the hostage situation to begin with. Of course they get no say in EU matters once they're out. Just how crazy do they think the EU is. Let the UK fuck the EU up even when they've left? Just goes to show, the Brits will do anything, literally anything, for a bad joke.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

A veto is out of the question, but I'd be willing to allow them to opt out of new legislation--of course whenever they exercise that option the transition time would instantly end for anything that would have been affected by said legislation.
    For example: If they opt out of new regulations for, say, meat packaging, the transition deal would end for packaged meat; if they opt out of some new banking regulation their banking sector loses passporting rights.
    Old regulations for the meat packaging or banking respectively would of course continue to apply even after they opt out of the new ones, or the transition phase would end in its entirety. Otherwise I do not trust them not to abuse this show of goodwill to do some kind of "inverse cherry picking".

Deleted
    Obvious that Reese Mogg learnt well from Bannon : https://www.theguardian.com/politics...nnon-in-london

Begins peddling conspiracy theories.

Quote Originally Posted by ctd123 View Post
    Obvious that Reese Mogg learnt well from Bannon : https://www.theguardian.com/politics...nnon-in-london

Begins peddling conspiracy theories.
    Unfortunately Reese Mogg has that upper class educated accent that Tory voters lap up like anything. He could say the earth is flat and the sun revolves around it and they'd fawn over him.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    Unfortunately Reese Mogg has that upper class educated accent that Tory voters lap up like anything. He could say the earth is flat and the sun revolves around it and they'd fawn over him.
    yea in America they have 'hey that guy has loads of money = smart'
    in the UK we have 'posh accent = smart'

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ctd123 View Post
    yea in America they have 'hey that guy has loads of money = smart'
    in the UK we have 'posh accent = smart'
    ask the Queen to give a statement, she is posh too and trumps Rees-Mogg anytime easily.

"no no no, We are not amused about Brexit" and bäm !

ask the Queen to give a statement, she is posh too and trumps Rees-Mogg anytime easily.

But isn't resurrecting Queen Victoria all part of Rees-Mogg's plan to take the UK back to the 1870s???

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    But isn't resurrecting Queen Victoria all part of Rees-Mogg's plan to take the UK back to the 1870s???
    naa, not Queen Vic; trust in Lillibeth, Second of Her Name and Mother of Corgies, to fix the issue.

Deleted

her kid is away with the fairies and her grandkids have an a-level between them, im not sure someone that pampered and isolated ever has to become the sharpest tool in the shed to survive. More posh with no brilliance.

I liked Gary Younge's opinion piece : https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...may?CMP=twt_gu

naa, not Queen Vic; trust in Lillibeth, Second of Her Name and Mother of Corgies, to fix the issue.
    I was not being serious, "We are not amused" is famously attributed to Queen Victoria (although she may never have uttered those words) and I thought your use of them was ironic given Rees-Mogg's views could be considered somewhat Victorian.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    I was not being serious, "We are not amused" is famously attributed to Queen Victoria (although she may never have uttered those words) and I thought your use of them was ironic given Rees-Mogg's views could be considered somewhat Victorian.
    i know the sentence and uttered by the current queen it should have an impact too. if the two longest living monarchs would disagree with Rees-Mogg, he would be out of business ?

i know the sentence and uttered by the current queen it should have an impact too. if the two longest living monarchs would disagree with Rees-Mogg, he would be out of business ?
    The Royal Family have no real political power (the Queen is not even allowed to vote) and they are, also, politically neutral. As you can see from the comment above they are not universally loved (or even liked) in the UK. If the Queen did speak out for or against Brexit she would be seen to acting against democracy and it would strengthen the calls to abolish the monarchy. So, no, Rees-Mogg would not be out of business but the Queen might be.

No, if the reigning monarch suddenly opened their mouth and gave any kind of true political opinion siding with one side or another there would be a constitutional crisis leading with the abdication of Elizabeth second and a rise in republican sentiment. That's why when the Sun/Mail/Express went with the whole "Queen asks in a dismissive tone what has the EU done for us." (or something along those lines.) a few days before the EU vote that Buckingham Palace had to rush out to deny it happened.

Damage was done though. Sun/Mail/Express leaders aren't prone to rational thought and took that word as gospel, it certainly swayed the vote by a % point or two.

It's rather astonishing watching people make demands, get politely informed they have no leverage, then come back to the table with still more demands.

Quote Originally Posted by GoblinP View Post

In case anyone wants to see it. (1.02)
    Bloody experts, coming over 'ere...
    Last edited by Mormolyce; 2018-02-04 at 05:04 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Deleted
    One good thing i'll say about Michael Gove, atleast he stabbed Boris in the back so we don't have him as PM at the moment.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Bloody experts, coming over 'ere...
    I'm beginning to love experts, as new figures reported today show that leaving the EU will save us 240bn a year. How many millions would that be a week? And would the figure if it had all the zeros on it even fit on the side of a big red bus? Perhaps be better plastered on the side of a hospital.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/549557...u-regulations/

That's quite some leverage...
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"