View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. This poll is closed
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

11 11.96%
    Quote Originally Posted by tehealadin View Post
    I am afraid you are wrong. In the aftermath of the vote, I remember a guy getting interviewed on the news about why he voted for Brexit. His answer was "the bloody Muslims".
    Was it the Welsh bloke who also didn't like sending money to the EU when it could be better spent at home, making him completely wrong (Wales gets more out of the EU than it puts in.)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by LeGin Tufnel View Post

Yes, if EU has any sense it'll refuse a long delay. Therefore: it'll be May's Deal.
    Unless Parliament continues voting No to May's Deal, No to No Deal, No to any alternatives then we crash our completely unprepared on the 29th.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
    Brexit is basically 4 people in a car, on a motorway. They are helping to pay for the motorway, but everyone gets to use it. It's safe, but dull. Then an idea appears in the car that actually it would be way better to get off the motorway. Then they wouldn't have to pay for it, they could go in whatever direction they wanted. And there were bound to be way more interesting places in the dark areas away from the brightly lit motorway. Right?

So they decided to have a vote on whether to leave the motorway. There were arguments that we could still use the motorway after we left, somehow. Even though we wouldn't be paying for it any more. There were arguments that we would have way more money to spend on our own car. That we wouldn't have to drive so close to all those foreign types.

Eventually the vote took place. Only three of the four people in the car were allowed to vote. One said we should leave, one said we should stay. The third didn't express an opinion. The one that said leave won the vote, by virtue of being slightly fatter than the one that said stay.

Since then, we've been having arguments about how we leave with the other car drivers. Turns out we can't carry on using the motorway without paying for it. It also turns out that creating a road for us to drive off the motorway costs a lot more money than we thought. So the fat one that wanted to leave now wants us to just go straight through the crash barriers into the dark unknown off the side of the road. He's pretty sure that it won't destroy the car, and he's absolutely certain that if we just keep going through the dark unknown we are going to get somewhere amazing. Quite how we are going to do that if we wreck the car crashing off the road, he isn't clear about.

Oh, and the stress of worrying about not getting his way has caused the one that voted to leave to lose weight. We're pretty sure he weighs less than the one that wanted to stay now, but nobody wants to get that checked. We checked their weight once, and apparently that was it forever.

That's about it. Pretty simple really.
    Fantastic analogy - love it. I've never really understood the "leaving" block - it seems like a lot of people got behind it claiming that UK citizens shouldn't be paying for EU bloat - when in fact the contributions by the EU to the UK, and the treaties and trade deals and everything else that comes with being part of the largest government in the world is worth every penny.

I've always advocated for stay, to the extent that I understand the details of the argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Btw Nigel, what the fuck is this about: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-b...KCN1QY0KM?il=0
    If I understand correctly, Corbyn wants in case May's Deal actually gets voted to challenge it by bringing it to a plebiscite but with no actual alternative just to keep the UK in limbo?
    Corbyn is being a complete cockwomble and playing party politics instead of trying to mount a decent opposition or get us through this mess.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    The EU is a complicated subject that can't be explained with one liners. Either you dive into the topic, or you don't. To many people here, the things you're asking for are self-evident. Staying in the biggest economic block on the planet... not sure what you need to be told to see the advantage of that. Leaving the largest economic bloc on the planet, having no trade deal with anything that could be considered an equal partner, ruining your economy in the process while at the same time wading through one of the most difficult political turmoils since WW2. What could we tell you that would make you understand it's a shite idea if you don't already see that?
    Agreed - and I should have asked my question in a different way (some people WAY overreacted, very emotional and mildly ignorant - not you, just to be clear, lol). I've been reluctant to dive in completely to the topic and try and wrap my head around the full details of the topic. We've got our own completely insane problem here in the U.S. to deal with.

It seems like the UK leaving with no deals in place, hell not even work visas, is one of the dumbest political moves in the world. To the extent that I do understand the issues, I've always advocated Stay (I was even up all night watching the Brexit vote back in 2016), and because of all the confusion and misunderstanding, felt that a second vote would be a good idea. The only problem is that a second vote wouldn't solve a lot of problems - you're either left with "yep, let's leave" or "the first vote is all that matters".

Please do not go down this route, I'll have to start resorting to Monty Python videos.

- - - Updated - - -

To be absolutely honest, I have absolutely no idea. Probably best to ask @Huehuecoyotl

All I know is, if we leave the EU (under whatever scenario) I will never, *never* vote for Labour at any point in the future. I've never voted Tory. That's it. My vote will forever be cast to the wind.
    So, Lib-Dem then?

If there is no change, I shall be seeking asylum in Germany. Very specifically at Slant's house.
    Is... is that an option?

He won't have a choice. I'll just gonna turn up on his doorstep, suitcase in hand.
    And thus the tide of economic migrants and those seeking political asylum (or, indeed, fleeing the political asylum that is the UK) switches away from the East, and begins coming from the West

(don't worry, there are lots of companies in Germany that have English as a "working language")

The Led By Donkeys Twitter feed has been pretty harsh to the ~70 people who turned up to support Brexit on Farage's March to Leave (which he left.)

https://twitter.com/ByDonkeys/status...25888946909184

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    Even those that were lied to were motivated by the idea that other nations were "stealing their money" as that was generally the basis for a lot of arguments. In addition they were meant to believe brexit will mean less migrants taking their jobs and brown people being rejected, so that's another part of the brexit argument, and another part was the lie of restoring the british to their former glory, what is essentially the ubermensh/untermensh argument.

I really don't see that much of a difference, i see simply different gradations of how racially motivated it is.
    Until the EU gets its house in order regarding ethnic minority representation in their governing institutions it is a bit rich to call brexit racially motivated. A quick comparison of any gathering of EU governance reveals who believes out of the EU and UK in aryan supremacy.

Brexit is removing the UK from the clearly racist EU and will be even more inclusive, open and tolerant when it is gone.

It says much about people who support the EU, when such blatant ethic minority cleansing from the decision making process within it, is clear for all to see. You should hang your heads in shame.

Clue for the dim, it's not the UK that is scared of brown people. Just sayin.
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

No.

Yet again, you are generalising and stereotyping.

It's as bad as arguing with Mr D.
    Yep, turns out I'm not a robot after all, funny that. I get pissed off and sometimes I don't care anymore. Do with that what you will, but don't whinge to me.
    Last edited by Slant; 2019-03-17 at 11:39 PM.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    Until the EU gets its house in order regarding ethnic minority representation in their governing institutions it is a bit rich to call brexit racially motivated. A quick comparison of any gathering of EU governance reveals who believes out of the EU and UK in aryan supremacy.

Brexit is removing the UK from the clearly racist EU and will be even more inclusive, open and tolerant when it is gone.

It says much about people who support the EU, when such blatant ethic minority cleansing from the decision making process within it, is clear for all to see. You should hang your heads in shame.

It's okay, i know racists don't like to be actually called racists. Too confronting.

Btw Nigel, what the fuck is this about: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-b...KCN1QY0KM?il=0
    If I understand correctly, Corbyn wants in case May's Deal actually gets voted to challenge it by bringing it to a plebiscite but with no actual alternative just to keep the UK in limbo?
    It's to do with the Peoples Vote. So we were all confused last week when anything to do with a Peoples Vote got pulled from the amendments but it was because those in charge of the Peoples Vote campaign didn't want any voting on it until it could be attached to anything binding (last week was advisory, non binding stuff).

This weeks strat from Labour is that they will back May's Deal on the condition that they can attach a Peoples Vote to it and finally get the plebs to absolve them of any responsibility with the added bonus of being able to turn to the Centrists and be all like "see we got you your second ref".

Ah, we're back to the EU being nazis again?
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't you remember all those times the erg and ukip advocated for the UK to take in more refugees?

7+ Year Old Account
    You said it, not me. You support them, not me. So you tell me, but the evidence says...

There are 785 MEPs in the European parliament. Of which only nine are non-white. Why is no one up in arms about it?

There are just nine non-white MEPs here, 1.1% of the total. Five of them come from Britain.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2007/feb/14/race.eu

Perhaps they are, you tell me.
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

You said it, not me. You support them, not me. So you tell me, but the evidence says...

There are 785 MEPs in the European parliament. Of which only nine are non-white. Why is no one up in arms about it?

There are just nine non-white MEPs here, 1.1% of the total. Five of them come from Britain.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2007/feb/14/race.eu

Perhaps they are, you tell me.
    You're surprised that a predominantly white continent has predominantly white politicians? Not everyone enslaved half the planet like the British did. And I don't see why importing different ethnicities is suddenly a requirement to be "non-nazi".

Your logic is, as always, flawed. And your post displays the usual inability to form an original or intelligent thought.

You're surprised that a predominantly white continent has predominantly white politicians? Not everyone enslaved half the planet like the British did. And I don't see why importing different ethnicities is suddenly a requirement to be "non-nazi".

Your logic is, as always, flawed. And your post displays the usual inability to form an original or intelligent thought.
    Im amazed he actually went on his high horse... Seeing the Brexit was voted into effect by a certain fear from immigrants. if that aint rascistic I dont know what else is.

Please do not go down this route, I'll have to start resorting to Monty Python videos.
    I doubt anything beats the French taunts at the end of Holy Grail for this purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    I doubt anything beats the French taunts at the end of Holy Grail for this purpose.
    Ha, yes.

I.... fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and you father smelt of elderberries.

/beat

Is there someone else up there we could talk to?

Ha, yes.

I.... fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and you father smelt of elderberries.

/beat

Is there someone else up there we could talk to?
    And to top it, that movie was written when Britain wanted to join the EU and De Gaulle was blocking it.

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    And to top it, that movie was written when Britain wanted to join the EU and De Gaulle was blocking it.
    Yep, and this is the irony. The current situation is entirely the opposite. It's the British in our stupid castle insulting everyone and the EU trying to remain polite and practical.

Loved the Pythons and their obsession with Britishness & the civil service.

I wonder what they think. I'm pretty sure Cleese is a leaver?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-b...KCN1QZ0X3?il=0

I wonder if we will see a vote on May's Deal yet again on Tuesday, this time to only fail by a tiny margin.
    Probably to be brought back a forth time at which it will pass. I’m struggling to see an alternative to May’s Deal here. It’s strange - I was feeling so optimistic a couple of weeks back. But it’s clear there really is no will in parliament to truly reject the ref result. All the interesting amendments failed. Reality is:

- No political will to revoke A50.
    - A motion of no confidence brought by Corbyn unlikely to pass.
    - Amendment calling for a 2nd ref unlikely to pass.
    - No desire on either side of Channel for a long extension (except possibly people like me, but I accept I’m in the minority).
    - May has successfully run down the clock.
    - Her Deal passes by a slim margin on the fourth attempt. Short extension to sort out legislation.
    - Upshot will also result in no meaningful changes to democratic process and a continuation of the two party system. Centre now comprehensively split. Endless Tory governments, economic downturn will compound further austerity. Lots of I-told-you-sos from Slant. etc.

http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/201...glish-language
    That's an interesting article imo for anyone who likes semiotics.
    It remains to be seen whether ‘pull a Brexit’ will refer in the future to dividing a country down the middle, or to ushering in a new period of prosperity and sovereignty.

Ha.