View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. This poll is closed
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

11 11.96%
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    It's entirely possible that an amendment on MV3 could be put forward to hold a binding vote on revoking A50 should the MV3 fail to pass.
    Doh - I'm being thick. Ok, yes, I see.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Yes but to attach amendments to a proposition, the proposition must first be considered for a vote.
    Something tells me Bercow would likely agree to such an amendment being tabled to the house. Especially if it ends up (likely) getting cross party support.

Also RE. your earlier post about the issues of A50, however this ends, you know the EU will be making amendments to ensure this 3 year
    shitshow never occurs in future.

7+ Year Old Account
    It's entirely possible that an amendment on MV3 could be put forward to hold a binding vote on revoking A50 should the MV3 fail to pass.
    Nope.

Only primary legislation can override the law that we leave on March 29th, deal or no deal. All that can be done before then is a statutory instrument can be laid before parliament which amends the leaving date. This must be done by end of business Monday 25th or even that will be out of time and we are automatically no dealing.
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

This whole situation is like a Train crash happening in front of your eyes. You know its going to be bad and people will get hurt or die, but that tiny voice in your head says do not look away this is going to be interesting. So you keep looking.....

Seems like a hard Brexit it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I think on this part of the blame lies in the process of A50.
    I think that the article needs to be amended so that the negotiations to the transition phase can be concluded before the article is even invoked (by a government issuing a letter of intent). Then once it is invoked it would be irrevocable and the transition period and exit would start a few months later.
    Or you know you could just have a god dam plan in place before even considering leaving the EU? Leaving the EU needs to be hard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    Nope.

Only primary legislation can override the law that we leave on March 29th, deal or no deal. All that can be done before then is a statutory instrument can be laid before parliament which amends the leaving date. This must be done by end of business Monday 25th or even that will be out of time and we are automatically no dealing.
    I feel I've missed a trick here, but where are you getting the 25th from, revocation can be submitted at any point up to the deadline.

The amendment on MV3 would be to set up primary legislation should the deal fail to pass Parliament a third time, such a vote can be fast tracked.

7+ Year Old Account
    I feel I've missed a trick here, but where are you getting the 25th from, revocation can be submitted at any point up to the deadline.

The amendment on MV3 would be to set up primary legislation should the deal fail to pass Parliament a third time, such a vote can be fast tracked.
    Not in the time left it can't.

If you are going for the revoke A50 option you have to extend and change the leaving date first to give the time necessary for new primary legislation. The March 25th date is the latest the EU must reach agreement with the UK over this extension to enable the exit date to be amended. You can read the hansard parliamentary bible on the procedure to do this in depth here. https://www.hansardsociety.org.uk/bl...ory-instrument

So no agreed UK/EU extension by Monday means not even the leaving date can be amended.
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

10+ Year Old Account
    Fast tracked legislature can have its 2nd and 3rd readings on the same day. It would be somewhat unprecedented to see a bill pass so quickly with such gravitas, but not disorderly to the House.

Quote Originally Posted by LeGin Tufnel View Post
    Ok so, I'm wrong. Parliament could simply vote to revoke A50. A motion of no confidence has nothing to do with it.
    It would be a formality anyway - after all those failed votes, I'd say Parliament has no confidence in May.

7+ Year Old Account
    Fast tracked legislature can have its 2nd and 3rd readings on the same day. It would be somewhat unprecedented to see a bill pass so quickly with such gravitas, but not disorderly to the House.
    Agreed as the Hansard article says about fast tracking specifically.

"The process could be accelerated. We see no insuperable procedural obstacle to proceedings on the ‘exit day’ SI being completed by 29 March if the draft SI were laid, for example, on Friday 22 or Monday 25 March."

If the leaving date is agreed by 5.45pm on Monday 25th March, they may be able to fast track it. Any later is too late to be fast tracked.

10+ Year Old Account
    Also looks like a group of MPs plan to invoke standing order 24 to debate a revocation of A50. Once again the Speaker wields an awful lot of power in choosing to accept or reject the use of S24.

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    It would be a formality anyway - after all those failed votes, I'd say Parliament has no confidence in May.
    Literally speaking, yep, I think that's a given. She has alienated pretty much everyone. But the Tories don't want a GE do they?

One scenario is that MV3 fails again, a motion of no confidence is tabled, and then not enough Tory Remainers abstain / Labour Leavers vote with the government, resulting in no deal and with the current goverment and her party intact. Sure, a few Remainers might quit the cabinet / party but it wouldn't be a huge number. In terms of keeping her party intact she needs to worry more about the Leavers breaking off. This has always been the problem. She's in the pocket of the ERG. Always has been.

When she said "no deal is better than a bad deal", what she meant is "no deal is the only alternative to my deal". We now know that her definition of a "bad deal" was literally anything that broke her red lines.

Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    Nope.

Keep telling yourself that dribbles. Your dream is on life-support and about to die. You aren't getting no-deal, and it's pretty much a coin toss at this point whether you get any kind of Brexit at all. Your mob had their chance, and they fucked it up royally.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

I can't quite believe the extent of your ignorance of the constitution and parliamentary procedure, the current state of party politics, or your confusion between infantile wish-fulfillment and reality.

Did you volunteer for moderator status solely so you can delete any criticism of posts like this? It gets rather tiresome to listen to.

EU's offer:

If WA is passed by HoC next week then extension will be granted until 22 May
    If WA not passed by HoC next week then extension will be granted until 12 April, and they expect a plan going forwards after that date

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    EU's offer:

If WA is passed by HoC next week then extension will be granted until 22 May
    If WA not passed by HoC next week then extension will be granted until 12 April, and they expect a plan going forwards after that date
    And with that we've 14 extra days. About enough time to reform the government and/or revoke A50.

And with that we've 14 extra days. About enough time to reform the government and/or revoke A50.
    Yep, this a ‘softening of stance’. Appears that Macron has been shouted down. Doesn’t change the fundamental problem, though.

Quote Originally Posted by LeGin Tufnel View Post
    One scenario is that MV3 fails again, a motion of no confidence is tabled,
    Wasn't there a motion of non confidence already in january so there can't be another for a year?

Btw, that was the point I lost confidence in Britain: one day parliament says to the government "NO to the shit deal you negotiated" and the next day "but we have confidence in you". What the actual fuck?

I'm a bit sad that Oliver isn't on this week, but the show on march 31st will be glorious. A lot of people feel like he looks:

Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    Wasn't there a motion of non confidence already in january so there can't be another for a year?
    Nope.

The "1 year rule" is a Tory party rule that prevents the 1922 committee from proposing a no confidence motion in the party leader more than once per year. There is no such rule for a parliamentary motion of no confidence against the government.

10+ Year Old Account
    No confidence in government can be called after any defeat.

May is protected for a year for winning a no confidence as party leader.