View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. This poll is closed
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

11 11.96%
    Since when is 3 posts a day a lot?

Touched some nerves here obviously....

Aaand, done.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-48807161

The EU and South American economic bloc Mercosur have clinched a trade deal following 20 years of negotiations.

EU Commission chief Jean-Claude Juncker said it was the EU's biggest deal to date and, at a time of trade tensions between the US and China, showed that "we stand for rules-based trade".
    After Vietnam, this is the knockout blow. If anyone thinks they can trade without speaking to the EU at some point, they've really not paid attention in a long, long time. I'm still waiting for the EU to crumble, btw...
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Some good news, at least for EU.
    I am still pissed at how the case against Johnson about the 350 million bus and other fantasy stories was thrown out because reasons. Really "nice" to see how politician again does not have to answer for his words.

Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    Some good news, at least for EU.
    I am still pissed at how the case against Johnson about the 350 million bus and other fantasy stories was thrown out because reasons. Really "nice" to see how politician again does not have to answer for his words.
    Not least because the reason given was that it was "politically motivated". How on earth are you supposed to prosecute a politician for ANY crime then if they can pull that defense "Oh you're only doing it because I'm a politician". Sets a pretty odd precedent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Aaand, done.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-48807161

After Vietnam, this is the knockout blow. If anyone thinks they can trade without speaking to the EU at some point, they've really not paid attention in a long, long time. I'm still waiting for the EU to crumble, btw...
    It's really quite astonishing that a massive bloc of several linguistically distinct sovereign states has its shit together better than the UK.

Well...after yesterday's report about half of Westminster's bathrooms testing positive for cocaine, maybe not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Not least because the reason given was that it was "politically motivated". How on earth are you supposed to prosecute a politician for ANY crime then if they can pull that defense "Oh you're only doing it because I'm a politician". Sets a pretty odd precedent.
    If only Fiona Onasayna had thought of that...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    It's really quite astonishing that a massive bloc of several linguistically distinct sovereign states has its shit together better than the UK.

Well...after yesterday's report about half of Westminster's bathrooms testing positive for cocaine, maybe not.
    If Brexit is still rumbling on in 2037 you might have a point.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Yeah Juncker had said he would do everything he could to get this deal done before he left. He delivered.

And let's keep in mind that we trade a lot more with MERCOSUR than we do with Japan.
    we are comfortable by now, because EU FTA'd both economies, yay
    now waiting for the FTAs with AUS and NZ and how Liam Fox will react to EU doing business already with partners the UK will have to negotiate fresh again.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Yeah Juncker had said he would do everything he could to get this deal done before he left. He delivered.

And let's keep in mind that we trade a lot more with MERCOSUR than we do with Japan.
    It's good to see that there are politicians who keep their promises!

Well, it took the EU 20 years. The difference is, the EU thinks in very long terms and they don't care how long something takes. I mean, the timing is impeccable, but to be honest, it's pure coincidence that it's happening during Brexit. When the EU started talking with these parties, nobody thought something like Brexit was possible. Heck, I'm not even sure if A50 existed back then.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ranzino View Post
    we are comfortable by now, because EU FTA'd both economies, yay
    now waiting for the FTAs with AUS and NZ and how Liam Fox will react to EU doing business already with partners the UK will have to negotiate fresh again.
    Just in the past 3 years, we got Canada, Japan and now MERCOSUR. Autralia/NZ talks have officially begun, so we're on track for that as well. Next up, India, the holy grail of trade agreements. After that, it's really just tiger states and third world, isn't it? Everything else is in the bag.

Yes, I'm ignoring the Arab oil states, but really... what kind of trade deal is that supposed to be. "Yo, what can you offer?" - "Oil!" - "Anything else?" - "Uh, sand?"

That's not worth calling an FTA, a simple bilateral trade agreement on oil would suffice totally.

Edit: Yes, I'm already ignoring Vietnam, it's just a tiny deal to be honest and Vietnam profits more from it than we do, so who cares. Oh wait, I bet Britain would care, desperate as they are... oh well. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!

Just in the past 3 years, we got Canada, Japan and now MERCOSUR. Autralia/NZ talks have officially begun, so we're on track for that as well. Next up, India, the holy grail of trade agreements. After that, it's really just tiger states and third world, isn't it? Everything else is in the bag.
    The EU has recently re-opened talks with the USA too.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler to Baby Sloths View Post
    The EU has recently re-opened talks with the USA too.
    Have we? Surely that's just a formal thing. Even the last attempt, under an EU friendly Government, can hardly be called negotiating in good faith. This one's so far beyond bad faith, it doesn't really make a lot of sense other than to keep pretenses up...

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LeGin Tufnel View Post
    Literally, I'll bet you £1000 to your £1 that the Queen will not "simply say no".

Charity of your choice.
    Read posts before replying to them, that way you won't waste time typing or make a fool of yourself.

- - - Updated - - -

In fairness you have to remember that cocaine was legal for most of Westminster's existence.

Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    Read posts before replying to them, that way you won't waste time typing or make a fool of yourself.
    What?

Responding to UnifiedDivide responding to Slant you wrote:

Quote Originally Posted by caervek
    Actually, once the Tories elect a new leader that leader then has to request permission from the queen to form a new government. It's incredibly unlikely it would happen but the queen would be well within her rights/powers to simply say no (in which case a general election would be called).
    You were suggesting to the poster that interference by the monarch is in some way a vague possibility.

The point I was making (facetiously, obviously) was that, no, the Queen is not going to interfere. Never. It doesn’t matter if it’s possible in theory.

Try to infer meaning from posts before replying to them, that way you won't waste time typing or make a fool of yourself.
    Last edited by LeGin Tufnel; 2019-06-30 at 05:11 AM.

You were suggesting to the poster that interference by the monarch is in some way a vague possibility.

The point I was making (facetiously, obviously) was that, no, the Queen is not going to interfere. Never. It doesn’t matter if it’s possible in theory.

Try to infer meaning from posts before replying to them, that way you won't waste time typing or make a fool of yourself.
    Just to jump in with some additional information.

After a general election the Queen appoints the PM but she does not get to choose who this might be and is instead guided by constitutional conventions which state that the PM must be able to command the confidence of the House of Commons - in short they must be the leader that has an overall majority either as an outright majority (2015), a coalition (2010) or other arrangement (2017).

However the situation where the party in government chooses a new leader and thus a new PM is covered by the Fixed-term Parliaments Act 2011. Under the FTPA it is only the House of Commons that has the power to call an early GE either by expressing that it no longer has confidence in the current government or by a motion where a majority of two thirds of the current seats in the House vote in favour of an early GE.

- - - Updated - - -
    @dribbles, your newspaper has arrived!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D-QqLd5XsAEG45k.jpg

What?

Responding to UnifiedDivide responding to Slant you wrote:

The point you were making, he was making in the same post. It's like me saying "it's a bad idea to cross the red light" and you going "well, yes, but it's practically stupid to cross the red light".

Go back, read his post... see the bit where he says it is highly unlikely. Then read your own post in that context.

The point you were making, he was making in the same post. It's like me saying "it's a bad idea to cross the red light" and you going "well, yes, but it's practically stupid to cross the red light".

Go back, read his post... see the bit where he says it is highly unlikely. Then read your own post in that context.
    OMG

Are you lot criticising my choice of odds? Are we genuinely debating whether odds of 1000/1 are an appropriate evaluation of an event happening or not as being "very unlikely"?

I was being facetious. I encouraged caervek to make a donation to charity exactly because he suggested the possibility of such an event happening is only very unlikely.

Come back @dribbles, all is forgiven. There's no-one to argue with.

Likewise, the whole of July is going to be written off while the Tories conclude their coup de grace. It's interminably boring.

OMG

Are you lot criticising my choice of odds? Are we genuinely debating whether odds of 1000/1 are an appropriate evaluation of an event happening or not as being "very unlikely"?

I was being facetious. I was encouraging caervek to make a donation to charity exactly because he thinks the possibility of such an event happening is only very unlikely.

Likewise, the whole of July is going to be written off while the Tories conclude their coup de grace. It's interminably boring.
    I'm not criticising you. I'm pointing out that you two aren't disagreeing. If you wanted to make a joke, I didn't get it. Sorry.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    Page 3 looks very interesting and has me all of a quiver. I bet unlike the now politically correct Sun newspaper they will allow it to be nude/topless, imagine that...

What's to argue about anymore? We are all uniting behind Boris no? The 40,000/160,000 new Blue Wave ex UKIP Conservative members who've signed up to choose the next PM like me will see it so. The fate of UK democracy and remainers in my safe pair of hands, imagine that...

Anyhow on here, I'm the equivalent of a carnivore extolling the virtues of steak tartare on a forum for and controlled by vegans. It's a waste of time, upsets everyone and never going to work out, much as I adore you all...
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics...thdraw-support

the Queen is not off the hook, if shit hits the fan.
    conservative party member will vote in the new party leader, but PM is still "chosen" by the Commons, as the current majority is not obliged to swear unfaltering allegiance to Bojo/Hunt. if the new PM cannot command the confidence of the House because a handful of Tory PM already deny it, QE2 is in dilemma. she may very well has to recall May as the last affirmed PM.

“One possible scenario is that a group of Conservative MPs is so concerned about the winning candidate that they declare their withdrawal of support immediately the result of the leadership contest is known – ie, before the new PM is appointed. This would pose a serious dilemma for the Queen and those advising her, because it would not be clear that the new Conservative leader could command confidence.”

Poor Liz !