Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Fox News is obsessed with “shadow president” Hillary Clinton

https://www.salon.com/2017/10/17/fox...llary-clinton/

When Hillary Clinton broke her toe in London over the weekend, Americans across the country collectively held their breath, concerned about the health and well-being of their shadow president.
    Just kidding — kinda.

While Clinton is in Europe promoting her new book — a tell-all explaining what happened in 2016 and how her political career came to an end — Fox News has been covering the former politician as if she were the president of the United States.
    Seriously.

From her stance on the NFL protests, to her response to the Harvey Weinstein scandal, Fox News has reacted to Clinton's every move as if she were the leader of the free world and the beacon of Americanism.

That may explain why Fox News reporter John Roberts asked the real president, Donald Trump, to comment on what Clinton has said about the NFL. The question drew ire from media critics who felt that Trump's rare press briefing demanded more serious questions, such as his policy on Iran and North Korea, or the hurricane relief in Puerto Rico.

To justify his question, Roberts said it was relevant because Clinton operates as a "shadow president."

His tweet provided insight into the minds of reporters and commentators at Fox News. In their world, Trump can do no harm, so in order to counter the impartial press' narrative of the failing Trump presidency, Fox News framed Clinton as the boogieman who sinisterly opposes the current administration. One doesn't have to look further than to Fox prime time host Sean Hannity, whose nightly monologues obsess over Clinton. Hannity regularly makes use of his entire platform to attack Clinton and distract from Trump.

Fox News' agenda cannot be made more clear here. The network ferociously backed Trump in the 2016 election. So as Trump's approval rating hits historic lows, and no Republican legislation can get through Congress, they were forced to elevate Clinton to the shadow presidency in order to divert guilt.

10+ Year Old Account
    I really like this season of US politics, it's hilarious.

It's kind of like a "this could've been us if we hadn't voted for Trump" effect, isn't it?
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Republicans are hilariously obsessed with Hillary.

I wonder if it's a crush, infatuation, limerism, or twu wove.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Republicans are hilariously obsessed with Hillary.

I wonder if it's a crush, infatuation, limerism, or twu wove.
    They spent the better part of the last two decades building a cottage industry around attacking her, they can't let all that work go to waste even if she's back to being politically irrelevant!

I thought it was the deep state and then Obama holdovers.

Next is Democratic aliens.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

I think they're still worried that Clinton's going to try to run again in 2020, although Clinton herself has repeatedly said that will not be the case. But you do kind of want to read something into just how much she's running around promoting her book of excuses.

It's really weird to visit Fox News lately, though - and other conservatives sites to some extent. Wall to wall coverage of Hillary Clinton. But if you go anywhere else on the internet, anywhere else on television, anywhere else in print, anywhere else in person, no one gives a shit about Hillary Clinton. It's the most batshit obsession.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapemask View Post
    It's the most batshit obsession.
    It's almost as if they're intrinsically batshit to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by Shon237 View Post
    I thought it was the deep state and then Obama holdovers.

Next is Democratic aliens.
    Last I checked, the Deep State was headed by reptilians from Kenya, sons of Obummer spawned by Brood Queen Killary herself while Darth Soros grants his blessings and throws money at them.

Still, Clinton is just the most useful political deflection tool in the shed. Anything not to talk about Trump.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapemask View Post
    I think they're still worried that Clinton's going to try to run again in 2020, although Clinton herself has repeatedly said that will not be the case. But you do kind of want to read something into just how much she's running around promoting her book of excuses.

It's really weird to visit Fox News lately, though - and other conservatives sites to some extent. Wall to wall coverage of Hillary Clinton. But if you go anywhere else on the internet, anywhere else on television, anywhere else in print, anywhere else in person, no one gives a shit about Hillary Clinton. It's the most batshit obsession.
    Honestly, the best thing the Dems could do is feed this. Have her talk like she's gonna run. Have everyone back her. And then, in 2019, when the Dems go into their primaries and the Republican attack ads are 98% anti-Hillary, she doesn't even run, and laughs at them all.

It's what she should've done in 2016, too, but that ship has sailed.

While it's a pretty damned transparent ploy at this point, Republicans are so desperate to keep Clinton relevant that they'll go along with it. They can't not.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Honestly, the best thing the Dems could do is feed this. Have her talk like she's gonna run. Have everyone back her. And then, in 2019, when the Dems go into their primaries and the Republican attack ads are 98% anti-Hillary, she doesn't even run, and laughs at them all.

It's what she should've done in 2016, too, but that ship has sailed.

While it's a pretty damned transparent ploy at this point, Republicans are so desperate to keep Clinton relevant that they'll go along with it. They can't not.
    Would she go along with that? She is desperate to stay relevant herself.

Quote Originally Posted by ohiostate124 View Post
    I doubt her ego would let her, but it's irrelevant because the DNC isn't smart enough to play 5D chess to beat back the Republicans even if she was willing.

10+ Year Old Account
    I really wonder if this is another manifestation of the GOP's inability to change course.

I'm pretty sure Trump winning came as a surprise to quite a few of them -- especially given all the saber rattling about the various investigation they'd do if she was elected.

And, much like the repeal of Obamacare -- when they are in power they don't know how to shift to a new playbook. So they are just playing from the "hate on Hillary" book instead of shifting to something more productive. Much like they all hate on the ACA but don't know how to replace it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ohiostate124 View Post
    Oh, I don't think it's gonna happen. I don't think that much of the Democratic leadership. I'm positing just that it's the best thing they could do if they wanted to spike the Republican anti-campaign that'll be going on; let them get entirely gassed up against Clinton and then just don't run her.

When your own candidate isn't doing a lick as the president but you can't bring yourself to talk badly about him so you use that energy on the worst thing possible.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

10+ Year Old Account
    Because the never Hillary voters, need something to keep them going for 4 years. What else is there?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Oh, I don't think it's gonna happen. I don't think that much of the Democratic leadership. I'm positing just that it's the best thing they could do if they wanted to spike the Republican anti-campaign that'll be going on; let them get entirely gassed up against Clinton and then just don't run her.
    I'd rather not see the GoP base gassed up over anything, really. The more defeated and apathetic they are, the better. I'm not sure that Clinton being in the spotlight can do anything but hurt Democrats.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dontrike View Post
    When your own candidate isn't doing a lick as the president but you can't bring yourself to talk badly about him so you use that energy on the worst thing possible.
    It's all they have. I'm sure it must be therapeutic.
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

7+ Year Old Account
    Been almost a year and Republicans still can't get over Hilary losing.

Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    Been almost a year and Republicans still can't get over Hilary losing.
    They have Al Bundy syndrome.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

You know, we could just run with it and have Clinton and/or Obama manage the administration. I'm sure the individual departments and agencies would be on board.