Internet drops for housemate when I leave the house?

Hi all

I have a weird issue with my wifi at home affecting one of my housemates.

So basically my setup is :

Modem – netcomm basic provided by ISP out in hall (bridged mode) Connected via EoP to an Archer D9 (router mode) in my room. All devices connect fine to the wifi. All my devices work without a hitch

However my housemate says whenever I leave the house the internet goes dead for him and he cant connect to any webpages. (He is still connected to the wifi)

And when I get home he can use the internet again.

Most times the only thing that would have changed is my iphone disconnecting from the wifi when I leave and reconnecting back to the wifi when I get home.

I have heard of devices causing the internet to drop when it connects to the wifi but this seems to be a reverse case where the internet only works when I am home and my housemate cannot use the internet when I am out?

My devices still work fine as I can be downloading something on my laptop when i leave and when I get home the download is complete

Anyone have any clues or ideas what could be causing this?

sounds to me like he is connecting to the internet via your phone or something, check to see if his settings are correct .

10+ Year Old Account
    Eviction is the only solution.

But seriously though, is your phone set up as a hotspot at all? Could he somehow be connecting to it? What an odd problem.
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

Doesnt seem to be the case. If im home and I turn off my phone he connects fine. Very odd indeed

Is your laptop or computer setup as a "mobile" hot spot or as others said a phone? When you turn off or leave with any of the above when you are home what happens?

https://www.howtogeek.com/214080/how...wi-fi-hotspot/

No devices are set up as hotspots. When I am home and turn off my phone completely internet works fine still

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe your phone and his computer are competing for the same IP without conflicting. You leaving with your phone could cause your network to view it as a sudden disconnect and cycle the connection to try to reconnect. Turning off your phone would be a proper disconnect and the network won't try to reconnect. Try turning your phone off and leaving the house.

If its the case, or some other network wizardry, try setting his internal IP to something else.
    When I went up the stair, I met a man who wasn't there.
    He wasn't there again today. I wish I wish he'd go away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daxxarri
    Whale Shark is the devourer of the slow moving and inattentive. This includes plankton, whales, and AFK players.

Whale Shark swims where and how it pleases. Whale Shark /spits on your science.

10+ Year Old Account
    Have you actually SEEN what he is connecting to?

Does it happen when YOU physically leave the house, like walk across the street?

You can determine exactly what is causing it... Leave your stuff, go away, see if it happens. Take your stuff, see if it happens, its one of those.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

UPDATE:

So i tried “forgetting network” on my iphone and restarted it.

And connected back to the wifi again and it seems to have fixed the problem (for now)

Hopefully the issue doesnt happen again. Still not sure how it caused the internet for my housemate to not work. Oh well...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by noobj View Post
    Hopefully the issue doesnt happen again. Still not sure how it caused the internet for my housemate to not work. Oh well...
    You could try the suggestions in the thread you created.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    You could try the suggestions in the thread you created.
    I will if the issue comes up again. If it aint broke im not gonna mess around with it