Page 46 of 52 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Great post/good memory

"----------And not only that, all non-boss mobs in every dungeon were on a 2-hour respawn timer. "

That was the later nerfed version, iirc

Early on, at least stratholme and scholomance respawned patrols really fast (5-15 min?) and the rest of the mobs a bit slower 30ish min (couldve been more, not sure, but not 2h)?

I recall looking backwards and seeing patrols spawning, poking ppl to move on etc.
    I recall sometimes wiping and it was basically a reset due to full spawns, or wiping and rushing back in as mobs were spawning, invis potting the group or rushing in and ressing me (tank) further in.

There was a long questline back and forth trough scolomance The_Ghosts_of_Caer_Darrow_quest_chain (not allowed to post links) , that in the end rewarded a couple of "endgame-blue" weapons, due to the difficulty of strat/scholo almost no one finished it.

Soon people started exploiting raids in 5man instances (you were able to take 10 players to 5man instances), disbanding to pick a questitem or do some queststep, rejoining raid. I played on US-warsong at the vanilla release and i think my group were the only ones there to finish that questline there without the raid exploit in the first couple of months.

I remember buying new ranks of my skills, but not putting them on my action bars.

I remember getting a new weapon, then spending 3 hours leveling up the weapon skill so I could actually use it.

I remember being polymorphed for 1 minute in warsong gulch.

I remember rogues killing you, whilst naked, inside a stun lock.

I remember getting my first epic and it felt actually, well, epic.

I remember grinding gold for a week to afford a mount.

I remember seeing level 60s on their mounts, in their raid gear, and thinking "one day..."

I remember there was a lot of inconveniences, but I remember enjoying the hell out of it.

At least they are view as inconveniences today, at the time they were just part of the challenge of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by chronia View Post
    That might be a cause of interpretation though, when i'm talking to someone about Vanilla / Classic WoW and we get onto leveling and they mention the "Not enough quests" i always see that as talking about the efficiency, not talking about that there are not enough quests period. I never tested it my self, and do not know about any example of persons who did so i would never think that someone would use that to actually imply that there werent enough quests in game.
    There were enough quests, barely, if you knew every questhub and zone/zone order in the game (vanlilla didn't send you along to the new place you should go most of the time). Travel was slow, and (almost) no one knew exactly where to go.
    Even IF you knew a perfect path to level, say on your 2nd or 3rd character or whatever, you would also know the best grinding spots, so it was often more efficient to go "yay, i'm at feralas harpies, lets grind 4 lvls here" since you saved all the traveltime and general messing around.

Quote Originally Posted by jackxass View Post
    Found my guilds old movies from BWL and AQ40, oh the memories So much grind but when it payd of it was so worth it!

BWL: youtu.be/phg7tgUlGHc
    AQ40: youtu.be/I-geVjUudmw

Was so epic at the time and to me they still are
    Ad Noctum had some of the most epic and memorable WoW PvE videos for me, ever.
    Draenor EU: Archavious - Level 120 Warlock ; Loaen - Level 120 Demon Hunter ; Arathia - Level 120 Paladin ; Mitosis - Level 110 Priest ; Toreck - Level 110 Hunter ; Aeralinde - Level 110 Mage ; Crikey - Level 110 Warrior

At Blizzcon was there any mention of how reunification was going to work?

I created discord channels for every server (links at the bottom of post 1) but honestly there's probably much better people than me to do this.

Also, when is MMO-Champ going to add a Classic section to its guild recruitment section? I don't think it's too early to at least set that up.

On another topic I also just read https://www.reddit.com/r/classicwow/...52&sh=778c9883 and although I wrote a very long overview of WoW, dang, the detail that some people remember...for example:
    "AoE spells aren't giving the addition 2.66 yards range when moving." Man I played this game A LOT but I never knew that.
    Last edited by garicasha; 2018-11-08 at 06:00 AM.
    Raid bosses will always be very similar so long as encounter design requires DPS to always be pumping 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by chronia View Post
    That might be a cause of interpretation though, when i'm talking to someone about Vanilla / Classic WoW and we get onto leveling and they mention the "Not enough quests" i always see that as talking about the efficiency, not talking about that there are not enough quests period. I never tested it my self, and do not know about any example of persons who did so i would never think that someone would use that to actually imply that there werent enough quests in game.
    I remember grinding from 56-60 in Winterspring in vanilla due to scarcity of quests.

But that could just as easily be my ignorance as it is any actual lack of options.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by blooderduki View Post
    If you know how to play properly your spec, you are always going to be Top on dps
    and your proof of this is linking a video of a Paladin that finishes 11th... with some terrible DPS done by classes (although hard to say as I don't know their gear). Since the Paladin is more or less pre-bis Naxx, I assume the others are as well, so their DPS is low for their class. If there is Fury Warriors in that video, they should be ashamed, they should be top.

Usually the main point is, why bother gearing a Ret Paladin, when it's easier to gear a Rogue who will do more than double the DPS (if they are half decent).

You'll manage to find casual guilds that will take most classes. Even in the guild I was in on a private server that cleared Naxx had a ret paladin. The paladin was never in the top 10 though, and the consumes that paladin used in that video. Man fuck that farming, even if you don't wipe it's a hell of a lot of consumes.

Paladins also do more DPS against undead, so any raid fight that isn't undead, their DPS will be lower. I would hate to raid as a ret paladin, just due to the amount of consume farming I would need to do, to do around 50% of a decent rogues damage who hasn't used any dps consumes.

Wow, he also had the C'thun weapon.

Anyway, for your video to mean anything, we'd need to see the gear and specs of other classes. I assume the top mage is fire and the rest are frost for example. As their DPS is pathetic if they are in pre-naxx bis.
    Last edited by Tekkommo; 2019-02-06 at 02:26 PM.

i forget how DHKs worked exactly, but i do remember it was an absolute horror to get one if you wanted any kind of ranking.

i do remember that most (or at least a lot) of pvpers who actually hit GM or HWL account shared towards the end of the grind. i know that it placed a massive strain on people who were shooting for it alone; i remember one guy on my server who made it to rank 12 or 13 and then had some kind of small breakdown over the stress of being online grinding so long. he actually deranked himself to nothing over the course of a couple of hours because he just couldn't face it any longer.

i personally intend to play classic servers just for the hell of it, but i severely doubt i'll hit max level.

Guys, AH deposits were lower than they are in WoW today, right? I'm not talking about high level gear from expansions or the deposit cost of mats that Blizzard increased as a way to try to combat the insane lag earlier during BfA. I'm talking about low level gear and mats before they increased the prices recently.

Still better than current retail wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Tekkommo View Post
    and your proof of this is linking a video of a Paladin that finishes 11th... with some terrible DPS done by classes (although hard to say as I don't know their gear). Since the Paladin is more or less pre-bis Naxx, I assume the others are as well, so their DPS is low for their class. If there is Fury Warriors in that video, they should be ashamed, they should be top.

Usually the main point is, why bother gearing a Ret Paladin, when it's easier to gear a Rogue who will do more than double the DPS (if they are half decent).

You'll manage to find casual guilds that will take most classes. Even in the guild I was in on a private server that cleared Naxx had a ret paladin. The paladin was never in the top 10 though, and the consumes that paladin used in that video. Man fuck that farming, even if you don't wipe it's a hell of a lot of consumes.

Paladins also do more DPS against undead, so any raid fight that isn't undead, their DPS will be lower. I would hate to raid as a ret paladin, just due to the amount of consume farming I would need to do, to do around 50% of a decent rogues damage who hasn't used any dps consumes.

Anyway, for your video to mean anything, we'd need to see the gear and specs of other classes. I assume the top mage is fire and the rest are frost for example. As their DPS is pathetic if they are in pre-naxx bis.

You want proof? You got proof!

Stop talking things you have no clue about. Instead i would suggest you to re read what i wrote at the part that you quoted me!

I don't need your "thick thug" philosophy , you talk too much without any proof and with only what you hearsay and lack of knowledge.
    Last edited by blooderduki; 2019-02-07 at 06:36 PM.

I actually went through a bunch of old Naxx videos by paying for a subscription to WarcraftMovies.com, and pretty much the only exception I've found to Rogue/Mage/Warrior in Naxx is some warlock that crushed it on Grobbulus.

And that's in videos where I could see when they reset the damage meter.

Back then video cards weren't so good so a lot of people would only have the top 10 damage dealers on the meter, so it's been pretty hard to even find a shadow priest or ret paladin on them at all.
    Raid bosses will always be very similar so long as encounter design requires DPS to always be pumping 100%.

Vanilla wont be for the current batch of easy mode loving fanboys. It will be for those who love the work and the 'grind your ass off' involved with vanilla, and the subsequent, non easily obtained rewards. These who want RPG and accomplishment back, 3-4+ hour dungeon runs, and a whole list of other things that take time and lots of effort. I think everyone is well aware (or should be aware) of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tekkommo View Post

If I remember right, there was a brief period just before BC where many new specs became viable. I remember doing AQ as feral a couple of times and testing out the brand new ability mangle in Winterspring.

Quote Originally Posted by Zigrifid View Post
    More or less we all remember what vanilla was like, the difference is that now we have more knowledge of our class , back then playing was like we were swimming in the middle of the night in a swamp with legs tied up.
    I think this fact gets lost on so many people, I literally had no idea what was going on I bought gray items from vendors for like 3 gold not realizing how bad they were and that I was going to miss that 3 gold when I hit level 40 and the mount cost 90g. People will be much more knowledgeable in general of what to do and what not to do.

Pandaren Monk
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Khetagurov View Post
    i forget how DHKs worked exactly, but i do remember it was an absolute horror to get one if you wanted any kind of ranking.
    Yeah, iirc, you lost a lot more from DHKs than you gained from HKs. Like, a few DHKs could very quickly cost you days of progress that you made from doing BGs.

I remember one of my guildies yelling at me to stop when we were in a group together because I was randomly killing some Horde NPCs in a village out of boredom (not intentional or doing it to troll him or anything, just that I didn't know any better), and he was getting DHKs from that. Apparently, just being in the same group as someone who was murdering lowbie NPCs set him back a good bit.

I felt really bad about that later since the whole reason he came out there was to help me (I was being ganked by Hordies who were too high level for me to do anything about it by myself).
    Last edited by avitush; 2019-02-13 at 03:40 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanadei View Post
    I remember grinding from 56-60 in Winterspring in vanilla due to scarcity of quests.

But that could just as easily be my ignorance as it is any actual lack of options.
    Quests weren't that good XP in the first place though.

I remember dinging 60 in Burning Steppes, I think I was grinding there for the last couple of levels and Searing Gorge/Winterspring before that.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Pandaren Monk
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by schwank05 View Post
    I think this fact gets lost on so many people, I literally had no idea what was going on I bought gray items from vendors for like 3 gold not realizing how bad they were and that I was going to miss that 3 gold when I hit level 40 and the mount cost 90g. People will be much more knowledgeable in general of what to do and what not to do.
    This too. I was a complete noob of the worst kind when I started playing WoW. Aside from the standard things like clicking and keyboard turning, I had no idea what was going on in general. I've unlearned most of the bad stuff I did back in the day and have 13+ years experience playing the game behind me this time. Not to mention I'm going to be replaying content I've already seen, so a lot of the "surprises" won't get me this time.

And yeah, I did the thing with gray items from vendors too. For a while, I had it in my head that armor value > literally everything else. I'd even replace green items with statless gray gear from vendors if the statless gray gear had more armor on it. Another bad habit was buying everything from the class trainer as I leveled, even abilities that were useless to me at the time. I'll save a lot of gold this time around just because I'll know what's actually worth buying and what's a waste of gold as I level.
    Last edited by avitush; 2019-02-13 at 03:33 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Quests weren't that good XP in the first place though.

I remember dinging 60 in Burning Steppes, I think I was grinding there for the last couple of levels and Searing Gorge/Winterspring before that.
    Think I dinged 60 in Eastern Plaguelands. I remember the mass 'gz' I got from guildies

Man no one says 'gz' gratz' 'gtz' 'congrats' anymore

Player 1: Ding!
    Player 2: gz.
    Player 3: gzzzzzzz
    Player 4: omg congratz

Simpler times :P
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Quote Originally Posted by Cidzor View Post
    This too. I was a complete noob of the worst kind when I started playing WoW. Aside from the standard things like clicking and keyboard turning, I had no idea what was going on in general. I've unlearned most of the bad stuff I did back in the day and have 13+ years experience playing the game behind me this time. Not to mention I'm going to be replaying content I've already seen, so a lot of the "surprises" won't get me this time.

And yeah, I did the thing with gray items from vendors too. For a while, I had it in my head that armor value > literally everything else. I'd even replace green items with statless gray gear from vendors if the statless gray gear had more armor on it.
    Ill one up you there I didn't use a Mouse to play the game until CATA. I have always played on a Laptop so I only needed 1 computer for work and play. I hardcore raided BC-WRATH using a Trcak Pad. I will however toot my own horn here and say I was one of the best Druid Healers on my Server and there were literally bosses that did not die until I came in and carried the team. I also have to this day never used Heal Bot I use Grid and I keybind my spells to 1-6, Q-Y and click on the box and press the key this is how I have always done it and always will do it. I just use a Mouse now. I have a Razer Death Adder mouse with 5 buttons and use every one of them for Movement only.