Page 18 of 38 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    our regular internet is unlimited but if time warner gets bought out by comcast.....
    Time Warner wanted to add data caps, but the FCC stoped them, under net neutrality rules. So expect data caps regardless of what Comcast does.
    https://www.recode.net/2016/4/25/115...band-data-caps
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

http://hudsonvalleynewsnetwork.com/2...open-internet/

New York Democratic Representative Patrick Maloney introduces a bill which would stop the FCC from killing Net Neutrality.

Quote Originally Posted by johnhoftb View Post
    http://hudsonvalleynewsnetwork.com/2...open-internet/

New York Democratic Representative Patrick Maloney introduces a bill which would stop the FCC from killing Net Neutrality.
    Sadly it probably will fail, given that Republicans are in the majority, and its first stop is a committee that is neck-deep in "free market competition fantasy land!" Republicans in particular.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is there anything I can do to show support for NN?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Clone View Post
    Is there anything I can do to show support for NN?
    Yeah, financially support an ISP that voluntarily chooses NN protocol.

I would say the idea that all data is equal is bullshit, but ISPs can choose that policy if they want.

Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    I would say the idea that all data is equal is bullshit, but ISPs can choose that policy if they want.
    They cannot really when others aren't bound to the same rules.
    Some things only work when everyone participates.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noradin View Post
    They cannot really when others aren't bound to the same rules.
    Some things only work when everyone participates.
    By this logic organic food could not be viable because non-organic food providers are not held to the same standard. In reality, different products can exist when there is demand for both.

10+ Year Old Account
    Impossible. We let them become monopolies. There is ZERO choice in most locations. You have (insert Comcast etc here) or DSL. That's it.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Most places have 1 or 2 ISPs it's not like there's a choice which is why they can get away with it they have us by the balls.

10+ Year Old Account

Only Comcast and At&T in my area.

By this logic organic food could not be viable because non-organic food providers are not held to the same standard. In reality, different products can exist when there is demand for both.
    Did you notice the word "some" im my post?

Do you need help finding the definition of it?
    Last edited by Noradin; 2017-12-10 at 10:13 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Clone View Post
    Only Comcast and At&T in my area.
    If NN is good, you could get one of them to support it.

If some place is not big enough for 3+ ISPs that's a local issue and not a federal government issue.

10+ Year Old Account

If some place is not big enough for 3+ ISPs that's a local issue and not a federal government issue.
    I live in Houston, it's plenty big. There are several ISPs in the city, only those two are available in my area. Other place have other but also limited options.

NN is good for me, but bad for ISPs because they have to do more to compete with it.

I Tweeted my ISP, and they said they support NN.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by VGAddict View Post
    I Tweeted my ISP, and they said they support NN.
    They all say they do on Twitter, but the court battles indicate otherwise.

I live in a fairly large suburb of Chicago (population of the suburb alone over 50k), solidly upper middle class area, so it's not a wealth or population limited area. All I have available are Comcast and AT&T and AT&T maxes at 25Mbps which is barely considered broadband these days. I pretty much have no option other than Comcast.

I take online college classes. How will this affect them?

This is bizarrely delusional.

They don't have to support it. They have a monopoly, and the internet is a necessary service, hence its classification as a utility. They have you bent over a barrel, and you have to take what they offer you at the price they give it to you.

It's not size of your locality that dictates how many ISPs you have. It is the ISPs. They actively work to avoid competing with one another, because they view it as cost prohibitive to build networks in another ISP's territory. That was precisely the argument they used when explaining to the government why there would be no loss of competition if one giant ISP absorbed another. I live in one of the biggest metro areas in the country and I have a "choice" between two ISPs, DSL and cable, and let's not pretend DSL is broadband.

The more you post, the more painfully obvious it becomes that you don't actually engage in normal society like the rest of us. This is the stuff just us measly peasant class folks have to deal with, I suppose.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wunksta View Post
    They all say they do on Twitter, but the court battles indicate otherwise.
    Exactly, they have to specifically say they will carry out NN protocol at the network level. Otherwise it's just about PR.

Important differences between organic food and NN:
    1) ISP services present a so-called natural monopoly, due to their high initial cost of entering a new market. Organic food can simply be sent to retailers in a new town at a relatively low cost. Entering a towns cable market is much more costly and thus needs a high expected payoff. However, since one cannot just set up a sample ISP there, knowing whether or not a new ISP in town will be competitive is hard to gauge beforehand.
    2) Consumers face relatively high costs changing ISPs (new hardware possibly, but due to low competition in 1) it usually involves moving outright if you want to change ISP). Changing from non-organic to organic food only has the price difference and possibly having to go to another store, unless it is not offered in a town. But it is more likely to be available than a different ISP due to point 1)
    3) Monopolies on the market are supported by the US government
    4) ISPs do not create the content that makes their product desirable. ISPs are not food providers. They are the retail stores where you have to buy your food.