Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Question Low FPS in WoW GTX 1070

[FIXED!]
    Her CPU had the notorious 1.5Ghz bug. Loading optimal default settings in BIOS fixed the issue!

Good day!

So my girlfriend bought a new computer a few weeks ago and it's awesome BUT in WoW the fps she gets is really low like 30-40 in Dalaran even on low settings it gets to like 50. However, this problem only arrives when players are nearby since I tested it in my class hall and fps hit over 120.

I've tried multiple fixes so far these include:

-Update drivers
    -Update Windows
    - Play around with ingame settings (yep resolution scale is 100%)
    - Change Invidia 3D settings (DSR off etc.)
    -Remove all addons
    - Change power management plan in Windows
    -Change power management plan in BIOS
    - Disable streaming in battle.net
    -Disable all that Xbox game crap in Windows
    - Disable invidia shadowplay recordings

I even tried ancient stuff like changing process affinity mask in WoW which I believe cannot be changed anymore since config.wtf doesn't have it.

Computer specs:

AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (stock)
    16GB Kingston Hyper X Fury, DDR4 2666MHz, CL16, 1.20V
    Asus GeForce GTX 1070 DUAL OC
    Windows 10 Professional

And before someone starts bashing AMD let it be known that I have the same exact specs in my computer (but I have a GTX 660 and 8 gigs of 2133mhz ddr4 kingston ram) and I have better fps in game with higher settings so it is definitely GPU problem. (lul how wrong I was!)
    Last edited by Viikkis; 2017-12-13 at 06:40 PM.

That doesn't mean it's a GPU problem for sure.

From the info that you gave i'd expect the GPU to be chilling around while there is some problem with the CPU performance - maybe it's throttling, maybe you installed the RAM so that it's running single channel instead of dual channel by accident; that sort of thing. The performance profile and changes that you are describing matches what you'd expect while CPU limited rather than graphically limited.

Check CPU temperatures & clock speeds while experiencing the low performance and verify that RAM is in dual channel via the memory tab of cpu-z program

Have you checked if the harddrive is running correctly? I can imagine it needs to load alot of small files to get all the gear for all the players in a city. Especially on hard disk drives it can be stressful if the drive isn't working the way it should.

Since I can't really see the processor,ram or gfx card being the issue here.
    Last edited by flamingbug; 2017-12-13 at 12:28 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    What's the gpu usage when it's at low fps?

I've found i get high fps when it's at 100% usage such as in the class hall, however out in the open my gpu usage drops down to like 50% and so does my fps :S

10+ Year Old Account
    The computer was built buy professionals at local PC store so I highly doubt they would mess up. The hard drive that WoW is on is Samsung 250GB 960 EVO SSD, M.2, NVMe, 3200/1500 MB/s how can I check whether is running correctly?

Quote Originally Posted by Viikkis View Post
    The computer was built buy professionals at local PC store so I highly doubt they would mess up. The hard drive that WoW is on is Samsung 250GB 960 EVO SSD, M.2, NVMe, 3200/1500 MB/s how can I check whether is running correctly?
    google samsung ssd health check, and check out the samsung magician, I can't post links yet :P

Just check the cpu/gpu usage during the peaks. Also check memory leaks in addons. Weak auras and stuff can EASILY drop your fps to single digits on any system.

Sounds like a CPU problem AMD is still way behind Intel in games like wow due to lack luster single core performance.
    Check the CPU temps and try to OC the CPU if you can and make sure the ram is running in dual channel.

10+ Year Old Account
    While WoW is on background (windowed fullscreen) and I'm looking at performance CPU was at 5% and GPU at 25%

- - - Updated - - -

But the silly part is that I too have a Ryzen 5 1600 but paired with a GTX 660 and I have good FPS

Doubt its the SSD since the zones and everything are loading up. Generally not a harddrive problem.

100% sounds like a CPU issue. AMD has been know for years to play WoW like crap.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Carnedge View Post
    Doubt its the SSD since the zones and everything are loading up. Generally not a harddrive problem.

100% sounds like a CPU issue. AMD has been know for years to play WoW like crap.
    Please explain to me why my Ryzen 5 runs better with GTX 660.

Please explain to me why my Ryzen 5 runs better with GTX 660.
    Did your motherboard or any of the components come with software? The computer tech may not have installed everything and your CPU may be throttled down until you have the software to use it properly.

Running at the same resolution? Render distance?
    Can you see individually what the cores are at mhz wise and % wise.

10+ Year Old Account
    Try paste the entire WoW folder on another hard drive if you have one, m2 ssd can run really hot and generally are not the best for games like WoW that write/read constantly an awful numer of times every second

10+ Year Old Account
    Did your motherboard or any of the components come with software? The computer tech may not have installed everything and your CPU may be throttled down until you have the software to use it properly.
    They installed latest BIOS and I updated Ryzen drivers so that the computer uses AMD's own Ryzen power management plan.

It's possible you just have faulty hardware to... that happens.

You could always throw your gtx 660 in her computer and see how it runs.

We call that selective interchange in the military maintenance world. Fastest/easiest way to troubleshoot.

- - - Updated - - -

WoW does't write to HDDs hardly ever. Everything gets stored in Blizzards end or in your RAM. Only time it writes to the HDD is if its installing updates.

- - - Updated - - -

Have you checked the BIOS settings to make sure nothing funky is enabled or disabled? Does it have a power or performance tab?

Maybe they have your RAM timings off?

Is there a warrenty with the PC? You could take it to them and let them figure it out since they can actually put hands on it.

10+ Year Old Account
    About the faulty hardware well it could be of course but I guess it should show up outside of WoW as well. She is able to play Overwatch all maxed out with no problems.

About the faulty hardware well it could be of course but I guess it should show up outside of WoW as well. She is able to play Overwatch all maxed out with no problems.
    Sounds like a WoW setting then tbh. I know that lowering settings too much or turning off certain things can make WoW run like crap on certain GPUs. Do you have NVidia experience installed? You could have that adjust your settings to Optimal?

Have you checked the HDD usage while in a city?

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like a WoW setting then tbh. I know that lowering settings too much or turning off certain things can make WoW run like crap on certain GPUs. Do you have NVidia experience installed? You could have that adjust your settings to Optimal?
    I've tried playing around settings. Since even turning everything to low doesn't help fps that much it's pretty desperate.

- - - Updated - - -

I haven't checked HDD usage but I did transfer it from SSD to HDD and didn't get anything but painful loading screens.