Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Question Level 110 Players: Question About Ability Pruning

After personally leaving World of Warcraft shortly after the Legion launch, due to the underwhelming rotation/amount of abilities at level 100/101 for my two preferred specs (Prot Paladin & Enhancement Shaman), I thought there would be more players put off by this but it doesn't seem to be a big topic of controversy on the WoW forums or here. Do abilities pick up for classes at 110 again like it did at 100 in WoD and I was just too hasty in leaving or is the lessened amount of abilities actually enjoyed by most players by now OR is it the content is so engaging in Legion that no one really cares about having less skills?

Curious to hear what you all have to say on this, thank you!

I am bothered about not having some abilities like hammer of wrath for retribution but I find ways to enjoy the game. It's just an ability after all. And besides, if someone activiely tries to find flaws in a game, that person shouldn't play the game at all.

The artifact weapons also brings abilities that I like. Some more than others, but still.

Nah most classes have 3-5 spell rotations at 110
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonus View Post
    Anyway stop being such an ass fucktard.
    Quote Originally Posted by oblivium666 View Post
    Would you kindly go fuck yourself?

Most abilities were useless for Raiding anyway, and arguably the majority of rotations are as complex as they've always been.

I'd say 5 button rotation is enough. Any more and it's lije like in SWtoR: some abilities become obsolete or, even worse, it becomes a mess. Also, considering we don't have many patchwerk style fights anymore, I think it's okay to have 5-6 button rotations.

Nothing changes at 110 in regards of the horrific pruning. The people responsible for the pruning should be buried in wet cement.

5+ Year Old Account
    More buttons pressed in raids (and only in raids) = more complexity. Interesting logic there...

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    I am really interested about the classes and the times of complex rotations. Mostly because my destro warlock in TBC only spammed shadowbolt and CoE occasionally. Oh yeah..I also had Healthstone and Soulstone duty. Tough times....
    Destro in Cata was a complete and utter clusterfuck.

OT: There are a few abilities I actively find myself wishing I still had, but not that many tbh.
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

It's nothing to discuss because it's not about how many abilities you have but how you use them. Your example of prot paladin is particularly confusing. They have quite a lot of activity vital to their play, so I'm not sure what you played.
    You need to keep down and monitor where your consecrate is at all times. You need to judge on CD, which will vary with talents and haste. You have a primary AM that doubles as your biggest damage that has three charges and is off the global so that alone should resolve your worry. Your largest woe damage and defense comes from avenger shield which will also proc constantly and requires vigilant usage. Then you have multiple defensive abilities some of which double as ofd3nse like the artifact ability, all of which require significant monitoring and cycling to maximize your play.
    Then you have a self heal which is over powered as it can be used on party members. Then you have a couple utility spells like sac and bop. Lay on hands, wings, potions, horse with two charges.

Pretty much nonseniscle what you said about them. Why is no one discussing it? Because it's a myth.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

The core rotations in Legion are mostly fine. Some benefited by having more buttons, but for the most part the complexity is just optional now (via talents) rather than mandatory. What's suffered a bit more is the flavour of some classes, with cool situational abilities missing and buffs completely gone. There's just that little bit less richness in the game than there was before, but thankfully it looks like they've realised this and are taking steps to bring some of it back in BfA.

As many times as people spam one button before the next in a rotation, you should be thankful that there isn't more; however I wish Blizzard would slow down some rotations, while fun for a few minutes can become uncomfortable, even painful during boss encounters. Old people problems I guess.
    Disarm now correctly removes the targets’ arms.

Quote Originally Posted by Pickynerd View Post
    As many times as people spam one button before the next in a rotation, you should be thankful that there isn't more; however I wish Blizzard would slow down some rotations, while fun for a few minutes can become uncomfortable, even painful during boss encounters. Old people problems I guess.
    I have the same problem particularly with vengeance dh. They are so active it some times hurts my hand after playing for a while. Lots of movement and lots of presses.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

The pruning was very sorely needed. Button bloat had become a major problem with all classes. The current amount of buttons is about right for most classes. Survival hunters and most healers still have too much button bloat and need more pruning.

A lot of the talents seem to offer more options in terms of buttons to push. You can grab all of the spell talents and smash away to your heart's content or talent more for passives. Yes, there are talents that outperform others, but IMO enjoyment >>>> numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by NoobistTV-Metro View Post
    I have the same problem particularly with vengeance dh. They are so active it some times hurts my hand after playing for a while. Lots of movement and lots of presses.
    Yeah fury kills me, actually had to quit playing it and level something a little less spammy. I use a g600, my thumb will actually start locking up while play some classes for a long period of time (raids) I have no idea how people use their keyboards, just screams carpal tunnel imo.
    Disarm now correctly removes the targets’ arms.

Having all artifact traits added a lot of flash / eye candy in the buff bar for many classes, but nothing in rotations really changed.

There are currently only about 3-4 specs which have really good rotations that feel really satisfying even after a long time of playing it imo - elemental (though depends on talents a lot), shadow (unfortunately suffers from pretty terrible damage in most content DUE TO having a well designed rotation), windwalker (especially with hit combo at lower gear levels it felt REALLY good to play)

And I'd say that there are some honorable mentions - unholy dk with prenerf CoF, destruction warlock has excellent design ideas.

Old BoS dk, ret paladin and outlaw rogue all felt very fast in their pacing, which made them fun for a while, until you got used to the speed. Rest is garbage design in Legion imo. I've played all classes except DH in Legion, currently most characters at 945+ ilvl.

Class design is at its lowest point after the several rounds of pruning this game has suffered, and it's the single worst element of Legion (easily). Artifacts do help some specs, but any class design that requires gear to be 'good' is a bad design in the first place.

I don't mind having few abilities in games like Overwatch, HotS, or Diablo where the fights are shorter.

In a raid setting I know its very off putting for some specs, like Assassination. I know way too many rogues that prefer sub or assassination for that very reason.

But yeah, for me, it really sucks not having all the spells and abilities that were there in previous expansions. I get in-game class balance is needed but feel like its a lazy way to rid the game of certain spells entirely.

Another note, is certain spells/abilities are still there in game but locked to pvp.

I miss a few utility spells on each class. Damage and healing rotations still feel fine. A few spells come back as honor talents but i dislike the clunk of inheriting new spells depending on game mode, especially in world PVP.