Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Lightbulb Ideas for new Undead Allied race (your ideas and opinions welcome)

My idea basically combines the 2 most popular sub races for the forsaken; skeletons, and dark rangers, with just a little pinch of abomination and San'layn(I apologize for any walls of text)
    I like to call them the Faded, they are a group of forsaken, that abandoned the war effort against Arthas in favor of flying around in Scourge Necropolis, no idea what it'd be called, but basically the Necropolis they stole served as basically a fridge for the scourge, if your fridge was filled with corpses, the souls of the bodies were instead used for shades, the leader of the Faded Undead tried to create a ritual, using druidism and necromancy, to perfect the connection between their souls and bodies, but instead made it so they could control their soul and to be able take over other corpses as long as they weren't inhabited by another soul(though, they do connect to these corpses perfectly, which prompted their leader to name the ritual a success), It however also made their original bodies very brittle(to the point of being unusable for anything really), requiring the leader to use skills he learned as a surgeon in life to create new bodies for the Faded(which they decided on because the images of their souls resembled faded forms of the last body they inhabited) the male Faded have a resemblance to a abomination with a structure similar to a skeletal warrior, with a taurens hooves(they have the leg structure of humans, think like Illidan's legs) a troll's right hand and an orc's left hand, while the females look very much like dark rangers, but with stitches and certain parts from other races(i.e. trolls/other elves), you would find the Faded in the far north, in the same place Death Knights get their legion class mount, the leader of the Faded (who witnessed Death Knights resurrect the dragon) chose this location as a permanent settlement since the extreme cold keeps them from rotting

Customization;the have several different hair options, several rot like skin colors with different stitches(need to have skin, it's the reason pure skeletons aren't a viable race option, and it gives the Chinese an easier time censoring), while the males will have the options of different types of heads(troll, elf, human and orc) and beards, while females will be able to have the option of having the skin of different races grafted on their face(mostly the more "human" races)
    , both could possibly get a necklace, which could be explained as having an enchantment that preserves their bodies from decay

Heritage armor: something sort of similar to scourge architecture, sort of like what lichs wear, sort of an dark Egyptian theme maybe with a hood(can't have dark rangers without hoods) or possibly something similar to the concept art for the hunter tier set 8 armor(again with a hood)

Racial abilities;
    *Haunt: Briefly leave your body to fear target for 3 sec, 2 min cool down
    *Imbued: taking or dealing damage has a chance to deal a small amount of arcane damage to enemies
    *Anomaly: reduces shadow, frost, and nature damage by 1%
    *Apothecary: an understanding of the nature of chemicals gives you +15 alchemy
    *Shade:when dead, takes the form of a shade(looks sort of like void form, but you're deep black, with red eyes), giving you +40% movement speed and giving access to a couple, non-damaging abilities(world appears purple instead of standard light blue, your character appears red, and other ghosts appear yellow, special dialogue with spirit healers(they appear as normal); "it seems you underwent the ritual, though I cannot revive you, I can bring your body here, I believe you can do the rest yourself, though there will be some damage to any armor your happen to be wearing")
    **Unescapable chase: teleport to targeted destination within 20 meters
    **Séance: allow speaking to ally for 4 minutes

Classes: Warrior, hunter, mage, monk, priest, warlock, rogue, and Druid(I said the ritual that made them combined druidism and necromancy)

Mount: improved skeletal horse, or undead bear, or Plague-dog(Gluth)
    Last edited by Psykho; 2018-01-04 at 11:17 PM. Reason: clarity, revisions

I have two undead allied race ideas. "Forsaken elves" and "elite undead". I won't type up anything complex, but here's a little something:

The Forsaken elves are composed of the high elves that fell during the Scourge invasion and were risen into undeath to serve as Scourge minions. Like the undead humans we play as, they eventually regained their free will and joined the Forsaken. We see these forsaken elves are prominent figures in the Forsaken and Horde, because they're the dark rangers. Females are easy to justify with this, but males are a little more difficult. However, they can easily be fit in somewhere, perhaps borrowing some aspects from the san'layn.

Their customization would be quite simple: pale skin colors, falling more into the white/off-white category, because we have way too many blue/purple races. They would have some preserved features and many "undead" features. Their eye colors would be the same as the playable undead, but also with some violet and glowing red options as well.

When it comes to mounts, all I can really say is skeletal/undead hawkstriders and maybe some modified skeletal horse mounts.

Potential classes: hunter, mage, monk, priest, rogue, warlock, warrior.

The "elite undead" are essentially undead humans that are obviously undead, but appear much less decayed and more "fresh". Think Nathanos Blightcaller in appearance, but with some more options. Writing up a story for this undead allied race would prove to be a challenge of sorts, but they'd undergo a dark ritual involving val'kyr and a human, whether it'd be a human corpse or a living human...that's up to Blizzard. Basically, it'd be similar to the Lightforged ritual, but much more sinister and dark.

When it comes to customizing "elite undead", players would have access to a variety of human features and some minor "undead" features. Remember, they're preserved in appearance. Anyway, when it comes to skin colors they would have a range of pale/off-white colors and some darker, more gray colors. Their eye colors would primarily glow violet or red, but other options could be available as well, maybe also the same eye options as the playable undead we have. "Elite undead" would also have facial hair.

Their mounts would also be a variant of skeletal or undead horses.

Potential classes: hunter, mage, monk, paladin (for those undead paladin fans!), priest, rogue, warlock, warrior.

That's all I got for now. If I could go more in-depth I would. Hope you enjoy.

My bet on this:

Every race leaders suggest or are sent to recruit an existing race, Baine goes with the Highmountain Taurens, Lady Liadrin with Nightbornes.
    Nathanos Blightcaller will be sent by Sylvanas to recruit... Kvaldirs.

Since they lost their leader (Helya), and Sylvanas lost her control on Eyir, the Kvaldirs are wandering in Helheim and Sylvanas means to get her hands on these soldiers and Helya's Valkyrs.
    She sees the Kvaldirs as an advantage since they are sailors.

If there is a reputation bound to Kvaldirs in order to recruit them it could be Valarjar OR a questchain implying you and Nathanos to fight Odyn (or more probably Eyir), resulting in the recruitment of Kvaldirs and the enslavement of the Prime Valkyr.

Classes: Warrior, Hunter, Priest, Mage, Rogue, Shaman

to me making them similar to san'layn would be the optimal for the elves, cuz this could give not only a different aesthetics, but also a new flavor, a vampire theme; red eyes, the bat ears and some blood related racial. Ofc using a necropolis as their hub with crimson citadel theme:

10+ Year Old Account
    san'layn would be the better option.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WolfRider View Post
    My bet on this:

Every race leaders suggest or are sent to recruit an existing race, Baine goes with the Highmountain Taurens, Lady Liadrin with Nightbornes.

Since they lost their leader (Helya), and Sylvanas lost her control on Eyir, the Kvaldirs are wandering in Helheim and Sylvanas means to get her hands on these soldiers and Helya's Valkyrs.

If there is a reputation bound to Kvaldirs in order to recruit them it could be Valarjar OR a questchain implying you and Nathanos to fight Odyn (or more probably Eyir), resulting in the recruitment of Kvaldirs and the enslavement of the Prime Valkyr.

In Warrior 7.2 storyline you retrieve some Helya horn for Odyn. He controls her old minions now.

OT: I think Undead Elves would be most fiting. They could introduce them with High Elves for Alliance. But since we just got 2 new elf races, I don't see this happening in this expansion patch cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by Dracullus View Post
    In Warrior 7.2 storyline you retrieve some Helya horn for Odyn. He controls her old minions now.

OT: I think Undead Elves would be most fiting. They could introduce them with High Elves for Alliance. But since we just got 2 new elf races, I don't see this happening in this expansion patch cycle.
    So lorewise, Odyn has Helya's Horn (that allows to control Helya's Valkyrs and Kvaldirs) and Prime Valkyr Eyir.
    I know somebody that would take a chance to make one stone two birds...

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Given the recent short story its very likely it will be undead humans, aka nathanos model.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    Given the recent short story its very likely it will be undead humans, aka nathanos model.
    Undead humans don't really have the potential to be a seperate race from their Forsaken counterparts. Their only difference is the looks: just regular undead with fleshier (?) skin. Might as well be a customization option for regular undead.

I know the same could be said Lightforged Draenei & Highmountain Moose and Void Elves but they do feel like a seperate people from their parent race thanks to the lore that differentiates them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by My User Name View Post
    Undead humans don't really have the potential to be a seperate race from their Forsaken counterparts. Their only difference is the looks: just regular undead with fleshier (?) skin. Might as well be a customization option for regular undead.

I know the same could be said Lightforged Draenei & Highmountain Moose and Void Elves but they do feel like a seperate people from their parent race thanks to the lore that differentiates them.
    We know that allied races aren't equal. And we can assume that with more coming, some will have less.."sparkle" than others. Undead humans model would be easy solution to people wanting "boneless" undead models, without pulling anything outlandish.

We know that allied races aren't equal. And we can assume that with more coming, some will have less.."sparkle" than others. Undead humans model would be easy solution to people wanting "boneless" undead models, without pulling anything outlandish.
    Trying to originate unique lore for boneless undead human models just to introduce it as a "different race" (Kind of what they did with Void elves) would be more outlandish than having them as regular skin options if you ask me.

It's like making upright orcs allied races. (Thank god we're not going that way)

10+ Year Old Account
    Trying to originate unique lore for boneless undead human models just to introduce it as a "different race" (Kind of what they did with Void elves) would be more outlandish than having them as regular skin options if you ask me.

It's like making upright orcs allied races. (Thank god we're not going that way)
    But we already have lore for it - see sylvanas short story. Its that simple.

But we already have lore for it - see sylvanas short story. Its that simple.
    I meant like the thing devs came up with when creating void elves. You know, they're blood elves who got kicked out of Silvermoon because of void practice: suddenly they're regarded as a different race and have their own capital?

I don't want the same shit repeated with future allied race concepts that can basically be saved as customization options. (Though the case with void elves are a bit different because they're Alliance)

10+ Year Old Account
    I meant like the thing devs came up with when creating void elves. You know, they're blood elves who got kicked out of Silvermoon because of void practice: suddenly they're regarded as a different race and have their own capital?

I don't want the same shit repeated with future allied race concepts that can basically be saved as customization options. (Though the case with void elves are a bit different because they're Alliance)
    And what exactly are other as you say "lore-friendly" options for undead allied races ? And don't tell me its undead elves aka blood elf model for 3rd time. Once again, if they were going nathanos way, they would be using modified human model. Aka something unique for horde.

And what exactly are other as you say "lore-friendly" options for undead allied races ? And don't tell me its undead elves aka blood elf model for 3rd time. Once again, if they were going nathanos way, they would be using modified human model. Aka something unique for horde.
    Simple answer is nothing.

We don't really need an offshoot undead race. Just give Nathanos' undead human model to regular undead as a customization option. Like upright orcs.

Though if Alliance ever gets Vrykul then I propose Kvaldir for Horde. They already have a "capital" of their own (Helheim), them joining would make sense (to oppose the Vrykul who enslaved them).

The unlock quest would be something like retaking Helya's Horn from the Valarjar and freeing the Kvaldir - which in gratitude they join the Horde (also to raid and plunder)

Also both sides gets the Vikings so no reason to get upset over other faction getting the "cooler race".

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by WolfRider View Post
    My bet on this:

This ^

I've had a similar idea. Work it into Slyvannas and Helya deal which we don't know much about beyond Slyvannas getting the Soul Cage. Maybe have Sylvannas agree to carry part of Helya Soul with her so she could survive in some form beyond her death. Have Slyvannas weaponise this some how etc

Every race should have an elf subrace.

10+ Year Old Account
    Simple answer is nothing.

We don't really need an offshoot undead race. Just give Nathanos' undead human model to regular undead as a customization option. Like upright orcs.

Though if Alliance ever gets Vrykul then I propose Kvaldir for Horde. They already have a "capital" of their own (Helheim), them joining would make sense (to oppose the Vrykul who enslaved them).

The unlock quest would be something like retaking Helya's Horn from the Valarjar and freeing the Kvaldir - which in gratitude they join the Horde (also to raid and plunder)

Also both sides gets the Vikings so no reason to get upset over other faction getting the "cooler race".
    "What's you idea for allied race ?"
    "Nothing"

Thats...pretty poor imagination.

Also its funny how you complained about making stuff up and then present kvaldir as logical choice.

7+ Year Old Account
    Undead Arakkoa? Oh yes, but still prefer the living ones.

Would also like to see Nathanos-like undead Humans, hopefully for Alliance too because i would like that look for my Human DK.

"What's you idea for allied race ?"
    "Nothing"

Thats...pretty poor imagination.

Also its funny how you complained about making stuff up and then present kvaldir as logical choice.
    What the heck? Go a few posts up and I'm pretty sure you asked me what the logical choices are for UNDEAD allied races. Not ALLIED races. I have tons of ideas for them, just nothing related to undead. Stop misquoting yourself.

Secondly, you don't seem to get my stand on "made up stuff" regarding allied races. I'm against desperately pulling bullshit lore to introduce a race. Void elf seems like that, unlike Highmountain Tauren and Lightforged Draenei who are already established and well (mostly) developed in the previous expansion. The Kvaldir dates even back to WotLK. And their lore has also expanded in Legion with the introduction of Helya/Helheim/Helarjar so you cant really say they are last minute changes to make them plausible for Allied races. So they seem more natural to have as the new race.

By the way you didn't state why Kvaldir aren't a logical choice which really doesn't help coming up with a counter argument.
    Last edited by My User Name; 2018-01-04 at 08:51 PM.