Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Zandalari trolls descendants of dinosaurs?

Given that the Zandalari have scales on their bodies and a massive dinosaur themes, is it possible that they are descendants of raptors or some other dino? I can sort of see a resemblance.

It wouldn't be unprecedented given that a lot of races in WoW are descendants of or mutation of various animals.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePallyRanger View Post
    Given that the Zandalari have scales on their bodies and a massive dinosaur themes, is it possible that they are descendants of raptors or some other dino? I can sort of see a resemblance.

It wouldn't be unprecedented given that a lot of races in WoW are descendants of or mutation of various animals.
    trolls are actually covered in fur
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account
    Zandalari use dinomancy, magical dinosaur mojo stuff. Repeated use probably causes scales to grow

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    I really hate that part of the lore. It doesnt look at all in-game that they have fur (even if its really short). It just looks like regular skin.

IT BOTHERS ME SO MUGH; GAAAH! D:
    Hariuha laþu laukar gakar alu ole lule laukar

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Micka Steelspark View Post
    I really hate that part of the lore. It doesnt look at all in-game that they have fur (even if its really short). It just looks like regular skin.

I tend to forget about the fur thing seeing as their in game models look like they have frog skin. Maybe it's the warts that cause that.
    give up dat booty
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendra View Post
    <3
    For the matriarchy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Micka Steelspark View Post

Im not really up to the lore, but could it have been super fine feathers? Dinos were known to have them, maybe it was part of evolution? I seriously don't know lol

Real Pterosaurs were covered in fur-like filaments, so maybe trolls could have evolved from pterosaur stock that lost their wings? Still doesn't explain where tusks came from, though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pterosaur#Pycnofibers

I could see them saying the come from dinos. Or a dino wild god.

Trolls don't look anything like dinos. They look like Elementals. Djinn even got Elf eyebrows.

Also. Zandalari got rocks in them.

Not just the Dire Trolls either, in case someone thinks this is some Thunder King shit. They've got rocks. Not scales.

Trolls are Earth Djinn.

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    Not all of them. Jungle trolls and ice trolls, sure. Rest aren't. "Rest" being: Zandalari, dark trolls, blood trolls, forest trolls and sand trolls. As such, the majority does not have fur.

And out of those, the Zandalari were the first, hence, the first trolls did not have fur.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Wait so darkspears are furries ?

Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    Wait so darkspears are furries ?
    Prepare the flamethowers.

Actually Forest Trolls do have fur, moss-infested fur at that. Trolls do not have a green complexion, Forest Trolls only look that way due to a unique moss-like plant that grows on their skin from birth. Presumably some deeply ingrained symbiotic relationship.
    The exact details of Troll Fur-growth however is inconsistent at best so currently, with so little evidence to go on, I'd recommend not thinking about it too hard. Maybe Zandalari lore in BfA will help enlighten us.

As for Troll origins, they might be somehow related to a saurian Loa (distantly) in the way Furbolgs are tied to (far more directly) Ursoc etc but it's hard to pin anything down.
    "These are Allied Races, these aren't Sub-Races. There's no direct associated Race or "Parent Race" or anything like that" -Ion Hazzikostas, Blizzcon 2017 Q&A

Quote Originally Posted by KrakHed View Post
    Trolls don't look anything like dinos. They look like Elementals. Djinn even got Elf eyebrows.

Also. Zandalari got rocks in them.

Not just the Dire Trolls either, in case someone thinks this is some Thunder King shit. They've got rocks. Not scales.

Trolls are Earth Djinn.
    I'm pretty sure those are horns, not minerals.

10+ Year Old Account
    Holds up. Most native species of a planet would be descended from dinosaur era creatures, and it stands to reason that the oldest would have the closest relationship with them. Akin to Orcs being descended from Magnaron I guess.

I'm curious about this troll fur stuff though. Chronicles?

Edit: Do elves have secret fur too? Getting a little paranoid about this.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    "There is another person on the other end of the chat screen. They're our friends; they're our brothers and sisters; they're our sons and daughters. Let's take a stand to reject hate and harassment, and let's redouble our efforts to be kind and respectful to one another, and let's remind the world what the gaming community is really all about."

Mike Morhaime CEO of Blizzard Entertainment, Blizzcon 2014 (view)

Quote Originally Posted by MrDragon View Post
    Actually Forest Trolls do have fur, moss-infested fur at that. Trolls do not have a green complexion, Forest Trolls only look that way due to a unique moss-like plant that grows on their skin from birth. Presumably some deeply ingrained symbiotic relationship.
    The exact details of Troll Fur-growth however is inconsistent at best so currently, with so little evidence to go on, I'd recommend not thinking about it too hard. Maybe Zandalari lore in BfA will help enlighten us.

As for Troll origins, they might be somehow related to a saurian Loa (distantly) in the way Furbolgs are tied to (far more directly) Ursoc etc but it's hard to pin anything down.
    Actually I think the old enciclopedia told us that forest trolls have moss instead of fur. Not 100% sure about it but I think that's the case. So they are even freakier.

Well the newest alteration of Zandalari that has apparantly scales and not spots (or birthmarks) together with glowing eyes out of nowhere (I was hoping it was just Thunder King power infusion) bothers me a lot in their design.

But when it comes to troll design I always found it facinating.

Their feet and hands alwas reminded me somehow of birds or specific reptiles.
    They have tusks and hands,
    they're meant to have night vision,
    they have amazing smell sense and can even recognise individuals by scent
    they can adapt to live in harsh environments
    they have regeneation powers and can regrow limbs
    they have beautiful hairstyles with intensive hair
    and male with their facial structure reminded me of Joker from Batman animated tv show or Diego from Ice Age
    And their lanky, tall body build reminded me of devil somehow, maybe because of one guy from x-men

So my personal headcanon is that Loas created them by giving them many traits, one of each to create a race of devoted followers to help them shape the world.

But their origins are still a mystery, it appears that trolls simply came to be like that. I think I would like Idea that they came from Djins too, would explain their affinity with elemental magic. (peers at shaman order hall with disgust).
    I miss Mists of Pandaria

Quote Originally Posted by MrDragon View Post

Most forest trolls only have moss and plant-based stuff, some appear to have fur as well, Kazra'jin for example (not confirmed, based on his model). There's no mention of them having fur, only jungle trolls and vaguely ice trolls with them having huge manes and living in the areas they do.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSaggins View Post
    I'm curious about this troll fur stuff though. Chronicles?
    Nah, it's from the old Troll Compendium that was written ~12 years ago, so who knows how accurate it still is. Blizzard hasn't really mentioned jungle trolls having fur ever since, feels like they just decided to drop it. But no, elves don't have fur.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramz View Post
    But their origins are still a mystery
    Not really, Chronicle mentions the Well of Eternity warping nearby life to become the first trolls. What said "nearby life" is, is however unknown. So their origins isn't entirely a mystery, only what creature they evolved from.

7+ Year Old Account
    They dont even have scales.

And if anything they came from the elementals.

Formerly known as Arafal

Quote Originally Posted by War-God Zajru View Post
    Not really, Chronicle mentions the Well of Eternity warping nearby life to become the first trolls. What said "nearby life" is, is however unknown. So their origins isn't entirely a mystery, only what creature they evolved from.
    i thought the chronicle said that a lot of early life came from elementals and that trolls were among that? they formed before the well of eternity was a thing. night elves, tauren, taunka, pandaren, jinyu, they all came from the well.

to me, they look similar to proto drakes. protos have similar spikey things, and they evolved from elementals. so that's probably just because they're the most primal form of troll.