Page 1 of 16
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

What’s so wrong about xenophobia?

Take a look at all the xenophobic nations, Japan.. etc they all seem to be doing just fine. Why can’t western society just wake ourselves up and stop accepting baggage. One death due to terrorism is too much we need to understand the root of the problem. I notice one thing with western society in particular is that we jump onto new ideas very quickly, this has caused nothing but trouble. I read this article and honestly if it weren’t for the current childish social justice political climate we’ve degraded ourselves into I would not be in fear of speaking up on this. The question I leave with you with; is xenophobia really that bad?

Article reference -
    https://www.google.ca/amp/s/townhall...0%3Famp%3Dtrue

Deleted
    The word itself. It's acting like cultural and selfpreserverence borders Nazism when it's in fact perfectly normal to want.

I'd guess it isn't bad if there's no one around to be on the receiving end. Which is highly likely in Japan. Worse in the west (the most diverse countries on the planet). Not sure why people want more diversity when they simultaneously argue the worst racism exists in the same place.

This is besides the point that preferring a homogeneous society is not the same as xenophobia. Liking people who have a cohesive culture and demographics is not racism or bigotry.

10+ Year Old Account
    Who is to say Canada can’t become independent? We have loads of natural resources, the largest supply of fresh water and one of the most highly educated populations; I’m sure we could make ends meet by ourselves.
    Last edited by Tom007p; 2018-01-07 at 05:28 PM.

Deleted
    Xenophobia starts with not caring about the people that live next to you.

Deleted
    Xenophobia means being afraid for the unknown. Am I afraid for the unknown? Not at all! I like visiting other cultures.

Do I think its a bad idea to import hundreds of thousands uneducated people with radical religion views into the European continent? Its probably the worst idea I can imagen.
    Last edited by mmocd22c015b36; 2018-01-07 at 05:35 PM.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Xenophobia typically (but not always) leads to hate, mistrust, and violence. Disdain, annoyance, and bigotry are more common, things I think we can agree are almost always bad for everyone. It also can hurt you economically, something that even Japan, which is still rather xenophobic, can see the downsides too. Their tourism has jumped up in recent years, and will likely continue trending that way. More and more non-native Japanese move to Japan with every passing year, and the people are slowly, slowly becoming more accepting.

That said, if we're talking Japan, be sure to look up a guide on things not to do there and it'll all go a lot smoother.

At its core it is irrational, and we should strive to be more rational all around. Now feel free to justify your dislike of people based on the color of their skin and/or national origin by painting an entire demographic in a negative light because of the extremists/small population of assholes. Because if we want to play that game, I can justify some terrible shit about men in general, but that might trigger some people.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Yes, xenophobia is bad if you enjoy living in a modern world. If you actually applied xenophobic views to their end game you lose any products or services not produced within your own country. Have fun with that up in CA and stop visiting the scary non-Canadian websites. Stop playing Blizz games as well. No more movies for ya either.
    Xenophobia isn't really about hating other countries, it's, as the name itself suggests, a fear of aliens. Canadians and Americans are basically the same people. So are French and Germans - if some of them hate the others, they'll hate them due to their mutual history, not because they fear their culture or don't understand them. That's nationalism, not xenophobia. They may not understand their language, but they'll share cultural background. They'll most likely both be Christians, both would have read Homer, Shakespeare or Goethe, they wouldn't stone their wife to death for perceived adultery, and so on.

A better example of xenophobic behaviour would be the wall on the US-Mexican border Trump wanted to build. Now Mexicans are much more different from 'Muricans than Canadians, though they also share fine cultural traits like having shoot-outs in broad daylight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

What's wrong with Xenophobia? The word itself for one:
    xen·o·pho·bi·a
    ˌzenəˈfōbēə,ˌzēnəˈfōbēə/
    noun
    noun: xenophobia

intense or irrational dislike or fear of people from other countries.
    You say Japan is doing fine but they are a rapidly aging population that isn't really having kids due to their unique culture. And most countries don't have all of the resources they need to be self-sustaining so they would have to trade with other countries. Raybourne already said it but a homogeneous society is not the same as a xenophobic society.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Thank you for admitting you don't understand the words you're using. Good luck finding that dictionary.
    So which word do I not understand? You should probably take a look at what the words that compose the word "xenophobia" actually mean. You won't even need a dictionary when you do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

Deleted
    Xenophobia is actually a natural trait we all have. Whenever someone you never have seen before tries to engage you in the street you will have the natural reaction of taking a step back if he is too close and your brain will immeditiatly start assessing the situation. It is basicaly written in our DNA.

Welcoming an unknown stranger with arms wide open is as retarded as you can get for your safety and your loved ones. We've seen a lot of that recently and the results are not pretty.

Also, multicultural societies are bound to be unstable and violent, even a most advanced civilization such as the Roman Empire saw it's downfall from the inside for the same reasons.

Japan is not the only example, a lot of first world white caucasians are pretty aware of what is going on and are choosing to emigrate (if they can afford it) to more homogeneous countries with strict immigration policies like New Zealand, Australia, and now even eastern european countries like Hungary.

10+ Year Old Account
    Then the Japanese government could possibly make better incentives for couples to have children / take care of children? From my understanding the cost of living in Japan is quite expensive.

Yeah, I'm not sure you can take anything seriously that uses Japan as an example of why xenophobia isn't such a bad thing.

Japan's xenophobia is the cause of nearly every social, economic, and industrial problem they currently have. To say Japan's doing well requires looking at only specific aspects of Japan in a vacuum and ignoring that the overall trend is poor, that many of their greater works are behind them, and that improvement is only happening because they are very slowly moving away from their xenophobic ways. Even the Japanese have said that the only way to avoid the extinction of the nation is for culture to shift and become more accepting of outsiders.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom007p View Post
    Take a look at all the xenophobic nations, Japan.. etc they all seem to be doing just fine. Why can’t western society just wake ourselves up and stop accepting baggage. One death due to terrorism is too much we need to understand the root of the problem. I notice one thing with western society in particular is that we jump onto new ideas very quickly, this has caused nothing but trouble. I read this article and honestly if it weren’t for the current childish social justice political climate we’ve degraded ourselves into I would not be in fear of speaking up on this. The question I leave with you with; is xenophobia really that bad?

Article reference -
    https://www.google.ca/amp/s/townhall...0%3Famp%3Dtrue
    Japan etc? Which else? Last I checked Japan isn't doing fine with suicide and an aging society. Last I checked Hungary, Romania and the other Euro countries which take in few refugees aren't doing fine either.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok if you don’t want japan as an example fine so be it, how about China? They’re very xenophobic and quite far from what I’d call a nation going extinct.

Deleted
    for me, xenophobia is caused by arseholes from other countries (mostly eastern european), who hate living in my town/country, NEVER want to live by our rules & regulations & think they can do whatever they want, when they want.
    my job involves dealing with the public on a daily basis & i can honestly say, that eastern europeans dont give a toss about our way of life, our customs & to hell with our rules & regulations.
    why the fuck they moved here, i have no idea, they add absolutely fuck all to the society i live in.
    other towns it may be different & theyre well liked, but in the town i live in, you can sometimes hear more eastern european languages (mainly one, but i dont want to single out that nation), than english.
    this is what brings about xenophobia.

Xenophobia is fine, so long as you don't try and legislate it. If your fear and contempt for outsiders means you don't want to talk to them, there is no issue. If you want to use your government to force them away, that's a problem. The vast majority of xenophobia are also authoritarians.

10+ Year Old Account
    The question I leave with you with; is xenophobia really that bad?
    If you're a business who needs cheap foreign labor, then yes it's bad. For the community who has to deal with clashing religions and ideologies, it's a nightmare to deal with people from the outside. It's far worse when the people coming into your country are very different in every way. Meanwhile a bunch of men in suits are laughing as they hire these people to save money. But it's ok cause it makes you seem racist.

Quote Originally Posted by Shimmyan View Post
    Welcoming an unknown stranger with arms wide open is as retarded as you can get for your safety and your loved ones. We've seen a lot of that recently and the results are not pretty.
    Which happens to be true irrelevant of where the stranger actually comes from.

Also, multicultural societies are bound to be unstable and violent, even a most advanced civilization such as the Roman Empire saw it's downfall from the inside for the same reasons.
    Historians have spent decades trying to work out why Rome fell, and worked out numerous reasons. But nah, you've got it figured out: it's 'the other.'

Then the Japanese government could possibly make better incentives for couples to have children / take care of children? From my understanding the cost of living in Japan is quite expensive.
    They've been trying for a long time now. They've repeated failed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?