Page 1 of 11
... LastLast

Did you get to experience the "world BoE purple"?

One of my most fondest memories of Vanilla WoW, was when I was in the Hinterlands on my Shadowpriest. I was doing some quests over by Skull Rock killing wolves and Slimes.

Then.. it happened.

I looted a wolf and saw Purple letters. I was in complete shock. For a few seconds.. I didnt even hover my mouse over it.. I just looked at the words.

"Glowing Brightwood Staff"

I felt like I just won the sweepstakes! I linked that bad boy in guild chat like I was a proud parent showing off his newborn baby!

OMFG

Hindsight, it really isn't all that great of a peice, but it was just such a cool experience that made Vanilla wow so special.

Here's hoping for another Purple!!!
    Last edited by Wellzy; 2018-01-19 at 02:37 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I got my first BoE purple in Hinterlands as well!!! Some cloth chest which was a green robe! I was so hyped, evrn though I was a hunter!
    Dear frozen yogurt, you are the celery of desserts. Be ice cream or be nothing.

Of course. That Krol Blade and those Stockade Pauldrons from farming Tyr's Hand are etched in my mind forever.

My first ever world drop purple was the most exciting moment I had in Vanilla until I got a 10 storms helm for my Shaman later down the line(thing looked so sick).

At the time of my world purp I was leveling as Enhance(the glorious 2 handed windfury days)

I was doing Sunken Temple(and man was old sunken temple a bear) we had to break like half way through and send somebody back to town to find replacements we almost gave up multiple times it was hell. And we were clearing through some random hall and a snake drops a Kang the Decapitator. And i was literally at the minimum level to equip it. I rolled a 99. 1 person passed because he was my bud and a Mage so couldn't equip it. Beat the other 3 though and while I probably could have made a pretty penny at the time on the AH I said f*** it and equipped it since it fit my spec so well. Levelling was a breeze and I used it for quite a while, maybe all the way to 60 even..cant quite recall. I was straight freakin out i was so excited.

First world epic I saw was in an Uldaman group. Icemail Jerkin dropped, people freaked out.
    Think a warrior won the roll. The first solo epic was Warden Staff from an ogre in Southmoon
    Ruins when I was grinding in my 40's, I don't think it sold for a lot of gold. I just knew at the time, that
    it was going to pay for my epic riding, but it was nowhere close.

I've only ever seen one drop in old LBRS but didn't win the roll. I feel like it was a ring of some kind. That was in Vanilla.

I did stumble upon a Flurry Axe in the Blasted Lands but I think it was way later in Cata when I was leveling an alt and at that point those old items didn't matter much anymore.

There was something really exciting about that moment. Hard to replicate now when even oranges are handed out like nothing.

10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't get my first boe epic until BC but still made a cool 500g off of it it was a staff I believe

Deleted
    I think mine was Taran Icebreaker. I was levelling a ret pally so of course I equipped it even though now I know the stats were garbage - insanely fast attack speed for a 2H mace on that thing.

I actually can't remember if I've gotten any while leveling, or only after hitting 60.. I farmed Timbermaw rep in Felwood for some reason (they were easy humanoids I could kill as a resto druid) and got a Hammer of the Northern Wind which I sold, and sometime much later in Classic, I was just seeing if I could farm a few trash pulls at the start of BRS on my rogue, and after like 2 kills I ended up with a Destiny.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaiandra View Post
    I actually can't remember if I've gotten any while leveling, or only after hitting 60.. I farmed Timbermaw rep in Felwood for some reason (they were easy humanoids I could kill as a resto druid) and got a Hammer of the Northern Wind which I sold, and sometime much later in Classic, I was just seeing if I could farm a few trash pulls at the start of BRS on my rogue, and after like 2 kills I ended up with a Destiny.
    Destiny is still one of my favorite 2-h sword models.

The AQ opening event was probably the best source of BoE epics, so many Alcor's Sunrazor and things from farming those Anubisaths etc. During WoD I got a Blade of Hanna from my garrison, I'd forgotten that thing even existed cause it was so rare.

Two for me but sadly in tbc

The first item dropping was in ZF, executioners ring from the executioner at the top of the ZF stairs, not even a boss. Won that one

The second was early tbc, we were doing a heroic and a pair of leather healing legs dropped. The druid was ecstatic over it dropping. The warrior typed in chat lol thanks noobs for the 800g and as he posted the message he won the legs.

Deleted
    I saw a dagger drop from ZG while leveling(dont remember the name) but the biggest moment i've ever had was when "Foror's Compendium of Dragon Slaying" dropped for me after having farmed DM north for i dont know how long.

Showing that badboy off in raid was one of my proudest moments in wow. Even though it was random... idk...

10+ Year Old Account
    I had several drop in vanilla. Robe of Insight, Krol Blade (less than a week after receiving one as a gift!) a shield that proc'd bones (can't recall the name) and the Glowing Brightwood Staff.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

I believe my first was a dagger in Taneris questing near Gadgetzan. Wasnt anything I could use and cant remember what it was called but I remember I sold it and made what was for me at the time a lot of gold! Had a few drop over the years some i've used, some ive sold, some have sold well.

TBH though the drop I was most excited to win was the battered hilt back in WOTLK. My DK still has that transmog

7+ Year Old Account
    I remember I wanted the Skullflame Shield so badly.
    Checked thotbot for the mobs with the higher drop-rate and farmed cultists in Silithus with a friend for hours, until someone told me that those items are incredibly rare and is useless to farm them xD
    A few days later I killed a random chimaera in Winterspring and BOOM. The shield drops.
    Was sooo happy I couldn't believe my luck.
    Then, I was told I couldn't tank with the shield equipped because it broke polymorphs...
    "You can wear whatever costume you want for Halloween and it's totally cool but here's a list of costumes I'll shame you for and call you sexist and racist if you do wear them"
    - Laci Green 2015.

I remember Je'Tze's Bell dropped for me when I first started in Wrath.

Sold it for a bunch of gold and was able to afford my cold weather flying.

5+ Year Old Account
    I still remember that one bear I killed in Feralas, it dropped the Staff of Jordan. OMG so much happiness

Quote Originally Posted by Shrouded View Post
    The AQ opening event was probably the best source of BoE epics, so many Alcor's Sunrazor and things from farming those Anubisaths etc. During WoD I got a Blade of Hanna from my garrison, I'd forgotten that thing even existed cause it was so rare.
    I didn't get any epics myself during the AQ opening in Vanilla, though during TBC I had rerolled on a brand new server and we eventually did the AQ opening event on that server when we were lv 70. I was lucky enough to win a Teebu's Blazing Longsword there, which I still have unbound...

Ever since Transmogrification was introduced in Cataclysm, I've pretty much mained DPS (and not mage/warlock) so I don't have any characters that regularly use 1-handed swords... except on my frost DK in Legion, but then transmogging into a fiery sword which would be runed white/blue would feel so thematically wrong and wasteful.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawthorne Wipes View Post
    I remember I wanted the Skullflame Shield so badly.
    Checked thotbot for the mobs with the higher drop-rate and farmed cultists in Silithus with a friend for hours, until someone told me that those items are incredibly rare and is useless to farm them xD
    A few days later I killed a random chimaera in Winterspring and BOOM. The shield drops.
    Was sooo happy I couldn't believe my luck.
    Then, I was told I couldn't tank with the shield equipped because it broke polymorphs...
    HAHAH oh, that is cruel...

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Just last week right before the 7.3.5 patch I got a Kang the Decapitator and Bloodrazor when farming transmog in old dungeons, brought back some nostalgia.

As for Classic, I was a noob back then and used like Axe of the Deep woods I found in Scholomance on hunter.

Also had all sorts of blue BoE weapons.
    Last edited by Teri; 2018-01-19 at 03:50 PM.