Page 1 of 11
... LastLast

#1 reason a Legion player would quit classic?

What would cause a person that started playing in Legion to stop playing classic?
    --How long it takes to kill mobs and level
    --No mounts until 40 / travel time in general
    --Transcontinental Questing / 20 quest limit
    --Bag space / greatly reduced stack sizes of potions, mats, etc.
    --Weapon skills (and needing to travel to the weapon master to unlock it)
    --Two-button raid rotation
    --No (in-game) LFG
    --Dungeons being so much harder (Edit: see post #45)
    --Meeting stones that don't summon
    --Needing a group to do areas like Stonewatch Keep, Stromgarde Keep, and Jintha'Alor
    --No in-game quest helper
    --Paying for every talent respec
    --The deflated economy & not being able to afford abilities or mounts
    --Getting to 60 and realizing no one wants their favorite spec
    --Their faction not having some Shaman/Paladin/Priest racial ability
    --Epics taking months to get
    --Kicking people from a group doesn't port them out of the instance (edit: raids only if they're saved to the raid ID.)
    --Farming requirements for raiding (including potions, resist gear, and black lotus)
    --Being ganked
    --Write-in

Edit: This was supposed to be a poll but I hit the back button on my browser...don't do that.
    Last edited by garicasha; 2018-07-26 at 04:52 PM.
    Raid bosses will always be very similar so long as encounter design requires DPS to always be pumping 100%.

2 Button rotation?!?!??!?!! i call bs. Most specs actually just spammed one button for the whole raid boss fight. Must have been fun.

leveling to 60 taking ages.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Clozer View Post
    2 Button rotation?!?!??!?!! i call bs. Most specs actually just spammed one button for the whole raid boss fight. Must have been fun.
    rogues had 3 +cooldowns :P

hell if you count feinting cos of threat issues then 4

10+ Year Old Account
    All that can be summed up as Classic is a huge time sink.

The answer is easy, it will be gcd on every ability and "slow" gameplay which cannot be sped up in any way since haste didn't exist in vanilla. People are already crying how slow the game is by simply adding a few abilities to the gcd let alone all of them.

Damn this was supposed to be a poll but I hit the back button...if a mod could lock I'll repost later.

Also dang you guys are fast.
    Raid bosses will always be very similar so long as encounter design requires DPS to always be pumping 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by garicasha View Post
    --Needing a group to do areas like Stonewatch Keep, Stromgarde Keep, and Jintha'Alor
    Play warlock, solo everything.......profit

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't think you have much of a clue. Meeting stones were implemented in 1.3, there are multiple quest helper addons for vanilla, the economy is player driven just like today, molten core is a pushover in dungeon blues.

Most of your other points are just down to preparation and not picking a trash tier race/class combo.
    ( ° ͜ʖ͡°)╭∩╮

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    The fun factor would go up 1000x if WQs existed in vanilla

The #1 reason by far will be convenience. Little things like not having objectives on your map when you pick up a quest. Not being able to change your hair style. Not being able to vendor things to a mount. The total lack of mobility. The kill rate while questing. Not having anyway to heal outside of potions and food, which i 100% am sure that most people will not consider at all and then be a 10 minute walk away from the nearest Inn when they start questing and realise they have to wait a solid minute just for their health and mana to regen.

Shit like that will get a lot of people.
    Last edited by Sliske; 2018-07-25 at 07:52 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because of an entitlement complex.

Deleted
    What would cause a person that started playing in Legion to stop playing classic?
    --No LFG
    --No meeting stones
    --No LFG
    There is LFG in Vanilla
    --No meeting stones
    There are though, even on Innkeepers
    Already been done with an addon and will pop up again, just like vQueue will be back.

--Dungeons being so much harder
    That one isn't actually true. I love vanilla but the dungeons were piss easy. Retail dungeons can scale up infinitely in difficult until they become impossible, no dungeon in the last 14 years have ever had the option to be that hard.

Sure you can run them on the easiest difficulty but that's like running RFC at lvl60 and complaining that it's too easy.

Keep in mind, that I didn't actually play in Vanilla, so take this with a MASSIVE grain of salt. But with that said, here goes:

I've seen a LOT of Vanilla nostalgia videos, where folks who DID raid during it talk about what it was like, some even show old videos from that time that they still have. What always struck me was how unnecessarily LONG shit took. It seems like a lot of the "difficulty" wasn't actually difficult, it was just the tedium of "fuck you, farm for eight hours before you're even ready to ATTEMPT the shit" and I just... I never understood why people are so eager to go back to that. It strikes me that there can and SHOULD be a barrier to entry for difficult content, I've got no problem with attunements and shit like that, but what I do have a problem with are arbitrary restrictions where the barrier to entry isn't based on difficulty or skill, but rather based on having enough free time to have ground out your resist gear from Stratholme, or spent eight hours farming herbs for your consumables. That isn't difficult, it's just chores, it's busy work. Why the fuck people LIKE that, always confounds me. Compared to BC, which was a grind I actually LIKED, because it was as simple as "target the dungeon you need for X key fragment, do the dungeon ONCE, and you're done" Vanilla just seems unnecessarily tedious and frustrating.

Don't get me wrong, I fully recognize that the raids were ACTUALLY hard, once you got INTO them, but getting into them is the problem. Why the fuck make it take months of grinding before you can do a thing? Your ability to kill a boss should be all that matters, not this artificial time gating shit where it's "spend months clearing Molten Core before you can even TRY Rag, because you need the rep" is just ridiculous to me. It's arbitrary, it's unnecessary, it takes WAY too much time.

Maybe if you were playing Vanilla when you were like 14, sure, you had the time to kill back then (even though I'll continue to argue that you shouldn't have HAD to, I think it was god-awful game design to make shit take THAT long, but whatever). But now? People that played 'nilla back then are adults now, they've got day jobs and kids and shit. That's gonna be the big thing now, is people just don't have the TIME. That's what's gonna ruin the Classic server experience for a lot of folks, they're gonna get into the servers, they're gonna run into one of those things where it's like "better do Stratholme eight hundred times" and be like "yeah, I really don't have the time for this ridiculous level of grind anymore" and they're gonna bail.
    "I have watched the other races... I have seen their squabbling, their ruthlessness. Their wars do nothing but scar the land, and drive the wild things to extinction. No, they cannot be trusted. Only beasts are above deceit." - Rexxar

Since most people will probably quit during leveling, I assume it's a combination out of:
    Having to sit down and drink after a fight
    Running out of quests
    Long traveling times, due to missing mount and ba.. scenic quest design

Oh and lvl 1-10 if you pick any of the horrible start classes.
    Last edited by owbu; 2018-07-25 at 08:08 PM.
    "And all those exclamation marks, you notice? Five?
    A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head."

I will give you the biggest things people seemed to whine about back then.

Having to pay for and go train abilities. Not being able to go from a sword to a hammer without re-lvling it up to the same skill level. Not even being able to use that hammer until you visit the specific capital city when you hit the right level and find the weapon master so that you can train it for equipping.

Having to travel into hostile areas that are easy to die in across continents in order to get specific class skills.

If they started in Legion they are going to hate their lives with bag space. Generally speaking 3 bags per character with a utility bag for a few of them. Quivers, void shard bags, etc. Even some warriors and rogues had quivers since they could also equipped ranged weapons as well.

All hits semi-interrupt casting causing it to take longer. They had to normalize hunter pets in vanilla because the pets with 1.2s attack speed were being taken over the standard 1.4-1.6s attack speed one's in order to disrupts casts.

Speaking of hunters. Having to tame a pet just to learn a skill in order to teach it to another pet. You would have to tame 5-9 extra pets and level them a bit just to teach your main pets skills too.

Those are the main ones i remember outside of the standard finding groups or other standard stuff you here from people every time it comes up. BTW, none of these were my own complaints about the game. After playing MMO's for several years prior to wow it seemed like a walk in the park with all the QoL and conveniences.

overly simplistic rotations: you think legion BM was braindead? yeah? wait till you discover what kind of 'rotation' mages or locks had in classic (spoiler: they were just spamming shadow bolt/frostbolt)

lack of balance: it's not just a couple of unfortunate specs like in recent xpacs, it's a whole number of them, some entire classes have no viable DPS raiding spec at all! same goes for PvP, vanilla was characterized by huge imbalances and ridiculous one-shots(or almost one shots)

meaningless activities are time consuming: it's cool if some parts of the game you enjoy take a while, but watching your character move in auto-run is not one of them, same goes for stupid drop rates of trivial quests etc, like the poster above said having to go back at every level to learn new ranks of skills is ridiculous

BfA: well it's a better version of the same game...

there are other problems with classic but those are big NOs for most players that enjoy the game enough to stay subbed
    Last edited by Cyanu; 2018-07-25 at 08:16 PM.

Length of time to do anything and huge lack of class and spec balance in end game PvE would be the main ones for me.

I have no doubt I'll try Classic once it's released, and I also don't doubt I won't last long because I just have time (nor do I care to deal with) for the amount of time sink bullshit required to get anywhere in that version of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Dug View Post
    All that can be summed up as Classic is a huge time sink.
    *ehm... artifact power... ehm...*

buffing each member of a 40 man raid individually with a 10 minute blessing.