Who needs tanks for raids?

This question is not about tanks in general. But is it just me or why do I receive the impression every time I'm looking for an Antorus pug with my twink tank (main healing), tanks spots are filled in seconds. No one is looking for a tank when you're talking about raids. Not to mention the search for a regular spot... the only spots always open are dps. The only raids that are looking for tanks are Mythic raiding guilds... maybe! On the other hand Mythic+ (depending on affixes) always seem to lack tanks (or healers). F*ck it.

People are mistaking the 'tank shortage' from dungeons with the 1/1/3 ratios
    For raids you get ~2/4/16. Different ratio (x2,x4,x5), so way too many tanks (comparably)
    Every guild only needs 2 solid tanks. Many guilds exist (and don't 'merge' even when they are bleeding to dead) just because the tanks would have a hard time finding a raid spot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because needing 1 tank for every healer, or 1 tank for every 3 dps is very different from needing 1 tank for every 2-3 healers and 1 tank for every ~8 dps.

If, theoretically, all guilds had exactly 20 people, and 2 of those were tanks, you'd still need more tanks for dungeons simply because you need more tanks per person in 5mans than you do in raids

Deleted
    As others have said, its the ratios.

As a mythic raiding guild we have 2 main tanks. But we also have 3/4 other people in the raid capable of tanking mythic if needed (or offtanking on some of the 3 tank bosses). All our offtanks are also happy in M+ environment up to around +20.

All I would suggest is find yourself a good guild, mainspec DPS but also offer to tank/heal when needed.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Keashaa View Post
    This question is not about tanks in general. But is it just me or why do I receive the impression every time I'm looking for an Antorus pug with my twink tank (main healing), tanks spots are filled in seconds. No one is looking for a tank when you're talking about raids. Not to mention the search for a regular spot... the only spots always open are dps. The only raids that are looking for tanks are Mythic raiding guilds... maybe! On the other hand Mythic+ (depending on affixes) always seem to lack tanks (or healers). F*ck it.
    Your point (other than a salty rant) is?

Getting a tank spot in a raid is quite difficult without creating your own raid. :-) But it makes sense, as other people in this thread already pointed out. Usually, a raid group only needs between 2-4 people capable of tanking. Depending on attendances and certain mechanics on mythic. In PUGs you obviously only need 2.

Lvl 110 twink huh?

Sounds like you're just not the best tank around, and the way you talk about mythic+ like you just don't really want to do it says a lot. For the most part high I lvl off set pieces (assuming best stats on them and you have the right leggos etc) are superior to tier anyways. Unless you have Mythic antorus tier. Few exceptions, I mean the tank set bonuses just mainly aren't that great if you can obtain significantly higher I level pieces. Some exceptions, like Brewmaster Monk T20 2 piece and Prot War T21 2 piece for example, and while Prot Paly T21 is good, you can totally avoid it without losing much until you're getting Mythic tier.
    Last edited by Shakou; 2018-02-23 at 05:51 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I disagree completely. Tanks are usually the last 2 spots and compared to DPS signing, Tanks are always almost non existing. At least on EU Alliance.
    • Diablo Immortal is the most misunderstood and underrated game of all time!
    • Blizzard, please, give us some end-game focused Classic servers, where you start at max level!
    • Serious Completionist: 100% OW Achievements, 100% D3 Achievements, 90% Immortal Achievements, 99% ATT Classic, ~90% ATT Retail