Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

M+ as a Hunter - Pugging... impossible?

hi all,

I'm a casual, I don't play that often but am doing as much as I can.. I've got full argus gear except a chest which was a 930 boe I bought, I'm finding it impossible to get into M+ groups... even when I ask guildies, no-one wants to take me. I play Survival as my main but am happy enough to go MM/BM (whichever is the strongest for said dungeon). Seems it's extremely hard to get into an M+ these days, even if I create my own, it never fills because tanks don't choose to go with a low ilvl like myself.

How do you guys get around this? all I want is to get my weekly 15 done

MM Hunters are one of the most desirable ranged DPS for Mythic+ altogether.

So, iLvl is your problem, not class.

Just wait for skittish week. I loooove hunters on skittish week.
    Quote Originally Posted by Okard View Post
    they took out chill of the throne, if you havent looked. Youre going to do 30% less than youre used to.

15+ Year Old Account
    Hunters don't have a problem getting into M+ runs. It sounds more like you're having a problem. What's your current gear level? That's most likely the factor that's preventing you from getting runs. Also, try aiming for a 12-14 key if you aren't getting the 15 invites. Most of those are trying to push their keys to 15 and are likely to stick with solid groups. If you are with them when they 3 chest their 12, they'll likely say they want to do their 15 right away and keep the group.

ilvl and mythic score may be your problem , mm is good for m+

10+ Year Old Account
    Gear inflation is absurd and so are PuG expectations. Without 960+ gear it might be hard to find +15. Your choices are: patiently apply or wait for tank, sooner or later you'll get group, but you'll waste a lot of time; farm better gear; find some friend tank or healer.

5+ Year Old Account
    Could almost bet money its a Mythic+ score issue. Now that everyone can see your score with raider.io its pretty difficult to pug anything without a decent score.
    You asked a question and I gave you the answer. You might not agree with or fully understand the answer, but, it is correct because of reasons.”

10+ Year Old Account
    The advent of Gearscore back in WotLK and every similar tool thereafter has ruined the ability of folks to prove their skills outside of the quality of the gear they're currently wearing. Raider.IO is just the latest iteration of folks discounting you out of hand because of a number that aint got squat to do with you're ability to perform, all in the name of "muh run's gotta be easy, so bring an ilvl/score that far exceeds what I'm actually trying to achieve!". I get the whole "Path of least resistance" argument, but FFS....what happened to giving folks a chance?

Quote Originally Posted by Yhcti View Post
    hi all,

I'm a casual, I don't play that often but am doing as much as I can.. I've got full argus gear except a chest which was a 930 boe I bought, I'm finding it impossible to get into M+ groups... even when I ask guildies, no-one wants to take me. I play Survival as my main but am happy enough to go MM/BM (whichever is the strongest for said dungeon). Seems it's extremely hard to get into an M+ these days, even if I create my own, it never fills because tanks don't choose to go with a low ilvl like myself.

How do you guys get around this? all I want is to get my weekly 15 done
    Your main problem is gear, they will ask for 960 prolly to overlook the lack of raider.io score if you have it low (i do a +15 every week with 1200 score but 967 ilvl) My recomendation is try to get some heroic antorus gear, that will help you a little, until then stick with +12 or +10 until you have enough score and gear or find a good friend who want to take you to +15

Seems it's extremely hard to get into an M+ these days, even if I create my own, it never fills because tanks don't choose to go with a low ilvl like myself.
    What do you mean, they join group, inspect you, then leave? And what ilvl you have? I think I've seen it once in my adventures that tank would say "this group is too low" and leave. The biggest issue so far I had with tanks / healers are the wannabes who don't have tank / healer gear (relics, trinkets), they're mainspec dps but queue as tank / heal for faster group invite, show as high ilvl overall but then ruin the run as they're not capable to run the level of the dungeon they queued for. Yes, on some affixes like skittish or necrotic there are less tanks queuing but it's not so tragic overall. Maybe you had crap key people don't wanna join (seat, lower kara, brh)?

Deleted
    Yeah I find as an MM hunter I have literally 0 problems getting into high groups. Your issue will be either M+ score or gear. Either way, the best answer is join guilds, make friends, make your own groups.

Or if you're BM the best answer is probably to start playing MM - BM sucks in M+.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Toxuvox View Post
    The advent of Gearscore back in WotLK and every similar tool thereafter has ruined the ability of folks to prove their skills outside of the quality of the gear they're currently wearing. Raider.IO is just the latest iteration of folks discounting you out of hand because of a number that aint got squat to do with you're ability to perform, all in the name of "muh run's gotta be easy, so bring an ilvl/score that far exceeds what I'm actually trying to achieve!". I get the whole "Path of least resistance" argument, but FFS....what happened to giving folks a chance?
    Make your own group and 'give guys a chance' who have low ilv and shit M+ scores. Let me know how smooth the runs go then you'll understand why people don't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Clobbernator View Post
    Yeah I find as an MM hunter I have literally 0 problems getting into high groups. Your issue will be either M+ score or gear. Either way, the best answer is join guilds, make friends, make your own groups.

Or if you're BM the best answer is probably to start playing MM - BM sucks in M+.

- - - Updated - - -

Make your own group and 'give guys a chance' who have low ilv and shit M+ scores. Let me know how smooth the runs go then you'll understand why people don't do it.
    It's funny, some of the most fun I've had in the game over these past many years has been with groups that did not just fly through a dungeon or raid. Even if we had issues, being able to recover and finish was a challenge and sometimes more fun than just another boring speed run. I really don't like the M+ time mechanic, so I don't run them anymore. I much prefer to do challenging team content where tactics and smart play prevail. I remember when hunters could double trap, Tranq shot, etc., made things much more interesting. I'll give the low ilvl guys a chance, anytime, I play for fun not gear score.

I had a feeling it was purely a gear issue. I've done +20's on my DH and DK as a tank but haven't ever really DPS'd them (apart from 15's on DH when I can't be bothered tanking)

Hunter is ilvl 912, without m+ my only way to get gear is raiding which I'd need to do heroic/mythic on to make it worthwhile (which I don't do as I quit raiding in WoD)

I'm glad to know MM is very desirable though and that it's just an ilvl issue.. I'll try increase that and will attempt to make friends with a tank to run them for me weekly!

Deleted
    Hunters are good for M+, there are just so many dps that I myself wouldn't bring a lower level player when I can choose from higher level ones.
    I aim for +18-19 keys nowadays, but I think a 935-940+ random can handle a +15M key.

Personal experience: after a point, my ilvl came from HC Antorus, not from M+. Now I exceed the M+ ilvl, but I also don't raid mythic, so I pretty much stuck at this ilvl, maybe some lucky weekly chest loot can help.
    So if you want 960+ ilvl (which is pretty common in lfg), you'll have to either run hc raid, or wait for your weekly chest loots.

Btw: Prot warrior here. High M+ keys say hello! (and it's not a gear/score issue, it's really a class/spec issue)

Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    Yeah, that's why you're not getting invited to +15s my guy.
    Yeah, see my only experience in M+ is as a tank, I was doing +15's on an ilvl 872 vengeance dh and 892 blood dk and they were an absolute breeze with minimal healing require, so I just assumed +15's were the "noob friendly" level and it got harder from there (done a +20 as a 904 veng dh) I tend to do them with guildies though. Unfortunately I don't have any tank friends so going from Tank to DPS is a very steep climb for getting groups

+15s are not the same as +15s a year ago. The entire system has been scaled up since then. You have basically no chance of being invited to a +15 with less than 940 gear level. My recommendation is to use your own key and do whatever dungeon comes along. Completing a large selection of dungeons will help you both gear up and raise your M+ score.

Deleted
    Yeah, see my only experience in M+ is as a tank, I was doing +15's on an ilvl 872 vengeance dh and 892 blood dk and they were an absolute breeze with minimal healing require, so I just assumed +15's were the "noob friendly" level and it got harder from there (done a +20 as a 904 veng dh) I tend to do them with guildies though. Unfortunately I don't have any tank friends so going from Tank to DPS is a very steep climb for getting groups
    Rrrrright...
    First you claim to be a casual player, then you mention you tanked +15 at ilvl 872 and even +20 as ilvl 904...
    Nobody, not even the most desperate group would invite ilvl 872 tank for +15, and even if you made the group yourself, people would leave if they inspected you. Something doesn't add up.

Hunter is ilvl 912, without m+ my only way to get gear is raiding which I'd need to do heroic/mythic on to make it worthwhile (which I don't do as I quit raiding in WoD)
    How do you expect to get picked for 15's with that ilvl. You can easily get to at least 930 with other methods (Veiled Argunite, WB's, LFR, Weekend events...)

Form your own group and try to boost the keys as far as you can.. but 15+ is too much to PUG at your ilvl

Quote Originally Posted by Valerian Atreides View Post
    Rrrrright...
    First you claim to be a casual player, then you mention you tanked +15 at ilvl 872 and even +20 as ilvl 904...
    Nobody, not even the most desperate group would invite ilvl 872 tank for +15, and even if you made the group yourself, people would leave if they inspected you. Something doesn't add up.
    He is probably talking about the previous patches Mythic+ but I still don't buy the +20

Are you sure about those numbers? Those ilvls seem really low. I honestly doubt that a ilvl 904 veng dh could survive a +20, at least if he is actively tanking and not just running alongside a geared tank.

10+ Year Old Account
    @Clobbernator......I regularly give folks a chance where others don't. I remember what it was like to have the skills, but not the hugely inflated gear requirement of a particular grp leader. It's the general attitude of "Easy Runs so hike the number requirements" with a majority the Group Finder users that prevents folks from getting a fair crack at the whip. With a little bit of luck and responsible use, the new community tools coming with BfA will put paid to that attitude, and long overdue at that.