Poll: Which was your favorite unlock quest series?

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Rate the race unlock story/quest lines.

Which did you like most and least and why? Not talking about the racial abilities or appearances or even the rep grinds. Just talking about the short quest series we do after hitting exalted.
    • Nightborne: Accompanying Thalyssra on her first visit to Silvermoon.
    • Highmountain: Saving Ebonhorn from forces of the void.
    • Void Elves: Elves play with magic and get in over their heads.
    • Lightforged: Seconding T'paartos on his trial to become Lightforged.
    (poll incoming)

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

Most : Highmountain

Least : Lightforged

Quote Originally Posted by LoLcano View Post

I would agree with this. I thought the Highmountain one added to Ebonhorn's story, while the Lightforged one cheapened Turalyon's. When that radio style drama came out and we heard about Turalyon's rise to Lightforged, I imagined it was some deep transformative experience. Then we play through it and it's just T'paartos running around shouting his own name while we kill stuff for him.

10+ Year Old Account
    Washington state, united states of america.
    T'paartos is the best thing ever. I was meh about lightforged but gods I love that guy so much. I names my lightforged Paladin "T'paartas" just cuz. Void elves kinda explains why they join the alliance? Ultimately they owe their lives and thus allegiance to Alleria, and she told them to join the alliance. Still being kicked out of silvermoon doesn't mean being kicked out of the horde and the forsaken would have welcomed them with open arms as shadow/void is literally their religion. That being said Blood Elves have already been on an iffy place with the horde and couple times before considered defecting. So it's not to hard to see? Still a slight stretch. Nightborn was really good. I love all of the nightborne characters. And seeing them interacting with blood elves was cool. Plus Alleria making a mess of things. I honestly don't have much of an opinion on Alleria as of yet. Pending more lore on her. Highmountain was the most mundane? It wasn't bad. But it was longer than all the others and that wasn't really needed. I do love Ebonhorn though amazing character and it sucks that he's unlikely to get more lore.

So in order:

1: Lightforged.

2: Nightborne.

3: Void Elves

4: Highmountain.
    Let's get 1 thing straight, I'm not

I voted Highmountain because I feel it has the most lore significance. That "your kind always gives in to the whispers" from the OG lieutenant(spoken to Ebyssian) may have just been a hint regarding you know who

Deleted
    T'paartos? T'paartos!

I haven't done the Lightforged one yet, but of the other three I liked the Void Elves the most. It was a chill little return to the Ghostlands, and I think it did a decent job of setting up a race that essentially came out of nowhere. The Nightborne and Highmountain ones I wasn't too impressed by. The Nightborne one was largely just "Would you like to join the Horde?" "Yes." Now watch as Alleria shows up and does unrelated things. The Highmountain one was the most fleshed out quest-wise, but I didn't feel like it had an interesting story to support it. Old gods show up again (apparently they're just tentacling right into Thunder Bluff now), we fight them, oh no there's another generic big bad spooky old god minion, go murder it.

I think I liked the Void Elf one the most because it was primarily about the race themselves rather than some unrelated conflict that just serves as "stuff to do" before you get your unlock. I'd have liked all of these quests to focus on the history, culture, or origins of their associated races. The Highmountain one had some minor bits of that, but nothing really substantial. I'd have preferred if it was just the banquet in Thunder Bluff with the Tauren telling tales of their ancestors and culture with playable flashbacks.

I thought the Nightborne story needed a little more to support their joining the Horde, tbh, although I rated it 2nd overall. I am not arguing that they should have joined the Alliance or that they should not have eventually joined the Horde. I just thought a character as cerebral as Thalyssra would take more time and put more thought into it. As the quest line goes, her thought process is essentially "Gee, Tyrande is hesitant to trust us since that whole hiding ourselves away during the War of the Ancients, but Lor'themar and Liadrin seem nice, so sure I'll swear to serve a banshee queen I've never met before."

Deleted
    From favourite to least favourite: Highmountain > Lightforged > Void Elves > Nightborne

As I wrote in another thread:

Highmountain tauren was by far the best recruitment storyline. It had story, character exposition and new lore. It feature a small character arc for Ebonhorn. It created a bond between Baine, Mayla and Ebonhorn. It explored highmountain further. Not perfect, but the quality I expected from such stories. 8/10.

Nightborne was simple, yet effective. Good lore moments. Short, almost no gameplay. But it works. 7/10.

Lightforged draenei was dragged and not that good. The new character T'paartos is fun, and we explore him well, but we barely touch lightforged (damn, Blizzard should make up a draenei word for that) culture. The end part in the final cave and exploring T'paartos' aspects and dark side was good, but not enough to make this scenario remarkable. 6/10.

Void elf introduction was flaming shit. Traveling with Alleria throught Ghostlands was nice, but once the actual scenario starts... Umbric is barely shown, lore is at its bare minimum, the entire thing consists of going from point to point and fighting random uninteresting mobs. Void elves deserve their name, since they are null entities in lore. 0/10.
    Whatever...

Best would be the highmountain one, it gave them a valid reason to join the horde. The void elves on the other hand were just bland and not much was learned about them or their cause, except they were following in Dar'khans footsteps.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    I liked the alliance one where you help mentally disabled person. The non-elf one that is.

Lightforged storyline was great but the actual gameplay was the worst thing I have experience in wow. I didn't have max level alliance toon so I boosted a shaman in resto spec. The questline took just under one hour to complete. The annoying, already nerfed, mobs and the high dmg requirement was insanely annoying.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by LoLcano View Post

The oppesit of this. I feel like the highmountain one is so long so much pontless traveling. and really just nothing interesting.
    while for me the lightforged was really good, really "emotional" that to be a lightforge you need a deep understanding of yourself and your belive in the light and yourself.

10+ Year Old Account
    I did them all and in the order I did them in is actually pretty much the order I feel the most to least about. Moose people, Prettier Nelves, Vampire butterflies and Glowing Spacegoats.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ragemv View Post
    The oppesit of this. I feel like the highmountain one is so long so much pontless traveling. and really just nothing interesting.
    while for me the lightforged was really good, really "emotional" that to be a lightforge you need a deep understanding of yourself and your belive in the light and yourself.
    Thats probably because Highmountain was all open world where as the other 3 are all instanced.
    Today is Beautiful and so are you, here's to having a wonderful day.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Well interestingly enough, 3 out of 4 of the quests proved, that the Void is out there and it's coming to kill us.

That said, the Highmountain one was a bit too long compared to the other 3, and the Lightforged one was messy.

So...
    1: Nightborne
    2: Void Elf (silly as they are, the quest in itself was reasonably interesting)
    3: HM
    4: LF

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nuvuk View Post
    I did them all and in the order I did them in is actually pretty much the order I feel the most to least about. Moose people, Prettier Nelves, Vampire butterflies and Glowing Spacegoats.

- - - Updated - - -

Thats probably because Highmountain was all open world where as the other 3 are all instanced.
    Void Elf was mostly in Ghostlands, I met quite a few lvl 10-20 belf characters questing when I did it, which felt quite silly.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

T'paartos! Nuff said.

This games writing is such a joke anyway, it should do more comedy like that.

My favourite was the Void Elves'. It was fascinating to explore Magister Umbric's thoughts and desires and seek out traces of his group's passing throughout the Ghostlands. We also assist first-hand to their traumatic transformation from mere Blood Elves to Void Elves, an ascension to a higher state. And thwarting the Shadowguard's efforts throughout Telogrus was engaging and fun. Perhaps my only complaint is that we didn't see the actual exile of the Ren'dorei from Silvermoon in a flashback. That would've been quite intriguing.

In second place i would put the Nightborne's. Not because i like this race, but because from what i've been told from friends of mine, Alleria plays a prominent role in this scenario. And it's very cool how she is a humble leader. She made a human mistake and fixed it with the aid of allies. No one's perfect, and like any weapon, the Void must be wielded correctly. This is the actual message of the Nightborne's unlock questline.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

Quote Originally Posted by Brewmaster Kolee View Post
    I would agree with this. I thought the Highmountain one added to Ebonhorn's story, while the Lightforged one cheapened Turalyon's. When that radio style drama came out and we heard about Turalyon's rise to Lightforged, I imagined it was some deep transformative experience. Then we play through it and it's just T'paartos running around shouting his own name while we kill stuff for him.
    I'm wondering if we played the same quest. There were plenty bits in there about his past, his doubts etc. Was it perfect? No but there was a good deal more to it than you give it credit for.

T'paartos is such a dumb ass character. Waste of creativity.
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."