So about Transmog and Personal Loot

Hey everyone,

Just popped over because I've seen some of the discussion about personal loot and transmog, and I'm trying to make sense of why it's such a controversial subject. Personally (heh) I thought Personal Loot was a great addition to the leveling dungeons and was bummed that it didn't work the same for legacy raids, but all the hate especially from transmoggers out there made me wonder if I understand it right. So just wanted to check with you if my thinking is correct:

I thought that Personal Loot, when you're soloing a dungeon, does two things:
    • Guarantee an item drop, since there's no one else in your group
    • Always give you an item from the loot table that is specified for your class (i.e., warrior always gets plate or a weapon he/she can use)

I thought that was pretty awesome, as it means you don't have to worry about Cloth dropping when running a dungeon as a Pally, for example, and could pretty much guarantee getting all Transmog from a dungeon in 1-5 runs. To be fair, I wasn't sure what happens if you kill a boss that doesn't have anything that fits your class. This would be especially nice if it also worked for raids, I thought. You wouldn't have to endlessly run raids to face the RNG of the loot table to get all 8 pieces of your class sets. But I quickly figured out it was dungeons only (for one, it said so in the Patch Notes, but I hadn't read them that well ). I was a little bummed though, that it seems that even in legacy dungeons, caster leather can't drop for a demon hunter, for example.

Despite it not applying to raids, it still seemed to me like it was a Transmogger's wet dream, but I guess this is not how it works, given all the controversy. Can someone enlighten me? I'm genuinely interested and casual as fek, so pardon me if this was blatantly obviously posted elsewhere. I just don't keep tabs these days anymore.

7+ Year Old Account
    Guarantee an item drop, since there's no one else in your group
    Nope, you still have the same chance as if you would go with 5 peoples afaik. Perso loot chance doesn't change with the amount of people in your group.

#TEAMGIRAFFE

Deleted
    One of the biggest issue apart from "not getting multiple drops" was that as a mage (who can wield swords), you cannot get strength swords anymore. So if you want a mog that's available only from str swords, you need to run the instance on a warrior or paladin. for gear you want on your mage. This also goes against Blizzard's philosophy of "if you want something on a character, do the content on that particular character".

Another issue was levelling enchanting. It got a lot harder to get shards from instances, as you don't get many drops at all. Instead of getting drops you could either shard of vendor, you get a few silvers from the boss.
    That means for transmoggers also that even though the item you wanted didnt drop, at least you had a few gold from items you could vendor. Now you ended with nothing for your trouble.

Personally i have done quite a few dungeon runs (on pandaria content) since the changes where i didnt get any drops at all. just a few silvers. That really drops your motivation of going there for that last drop you need quite rapidly.

Quote Originally Posted by Azunaii View Post
    • Guarantee an item drop, since there's no one else in your group
    That was apparently only for WoD dungeons.
    But your duty to Azeroth is not yet complete. More is demanded of you... a price the living cannot pay.

problem is you can still collect stuff not on your loot table. 2 handed staffs aren't on a warriors loot table yet they can still collect it. However with personal loot it will not drop for them.

Right, so it includes a chance of getting nothing at all, I gather then?

Not being able to get items that you can theoretically wear (and thus collect for Transmog), because it's not your stat set, is probably my biggest gripe against the current system. My Demon Hunter is really short on groovy looks, so I figured I'd get some from the older dungeons like Zul'Aman. There's a pretty sweet leather caster shoulders that I'd like to get, but those won't drop for me. And my druid is miles off of max level. It's ironic - as I'm casual and don't care much anymore about end-game raiding, I like to spend time playing with alts, questing and doing some transmog runs at my own pace. But precisely more casual players are victimized by this it seems.

Anyway, thanks for the insights. Hope the new/old system in BfA will bring improvement.

Are you participating in the new content at all? Like at least in LFR difficulty? I'm curious as to how you could have believed that you always get a drop with personal loot... Had you visited LFR at least once, or even a random heroic dungeon you would have known this is not the case.

Deleted
    i cant personal drop as hunter because i dont have melee weapons in loot table and i want them in collection.